Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

IDK seems like they'd be sandbagging the more natural story set-up that Kuiil "raised a child" that's going to be pay off with him as Mando's unlikely buddy that helps him get over robophobia and judge robots not by the alloy of their casing, but by the programming in their databanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah they’re playing fast and loose with how smart the baby is and I don’t like it. It’s obviously intelligent enough to see if something is hurt but not enough to see if something is in real danger.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

IDK seems like they'd be sandbagging the more natural story set-up that Kuiil "raised a child" that's going to be pay off with him as Mando's unlikely buddy that helps him get over robophobia and judge robots not by the alloy of their casing, but by the programming in their databanks.

I also feel like they are setting up a longer term team-up with Gina Carano and IG-11 honestly, which sounds pretty good if you ask me

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

General Dog posted:

Do you think when Baby Yoda ran up to the cockpit and started jerking the ship around, do you think it was because he'd overheard/intuited Mando/Cara's plan and didn't want to go back to Navarro?

That was how I took it

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I imagined this show in the hands of JJ and shivered

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, Star Wars doesn't need to be complicated as hell when it has good characters. Episode 7 of TM had so much momentum because its spent the season earning it. It isn't getting bogged down in justifying its existence. It's just honest to goodness quality TV.

I really can't get over the stark difference in quality from this show to that new movie

Edit: also this show has generated so many good phrases. This is the way, I can take you in warm or I can take you in cold, I have spoken. That's some good Star Wars poo poo right there. Hard to think of one memorable line from the new trilogy.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 19, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Donovan Trip posted:

I imagined this show in the hands of JJ and shivered

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication, Star Wars doesn't need to be complicated as hell when it has good characters. Episode 7 of TM had so much momentum because its spent the season earning it. It isn't getting bogged down in justifying its existence. It's just honest to goodness quality TV.

I really can't get over the stark difference in quality from this show to that new movie

Edit: also this show has generated so many good phrases. This is the way, I can take you in warm or I can take you in cold, I have spoken. That's some good Star Wars poo poo right there. Hard to think of one memorable line from the new trilogy.

Star Wars is best when it's a simple character drama set in exotic and seedy locales with the backdrop of a state in decline or entropy. This show delivers in spades

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

Baronjutter posted:

How do the tracking FOBs work? What do they track exactly? Does every being in starwars have some tracking chip implanted and if you know its secret code anyone can track you?

I think so. Cara mentions that they'll kill her if they read her chain code and the original Bounty for baby Yoda only had 'the last four digits' of its chain code. I'm guessing 'chain' in this context refers to DNA and that your ID is mapped from some algorithm based on your genetic sequence. Would be a handy way to tell people apart in a universe with clones and androids.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t see how the tracking fob could be anything other than some kind of Force tracker, it works too well to just be a chip, Mando would’ve figured out how to jam the signal by now, or cut out the chip or something.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Donovan Trip posted:

...Edit: also this show has generated so many good phrases. This is the way, I can take you in warm or I can take you in cold, I have spoken. That's some good Star Wars poo poo right there. Hard to think of one memorable line from the new trilogy.

It's salt

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

It's true, all of it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

all the good lines from the ST are in TLJ

let the past die, kill it if you have to

wow every single thing you just said is wrong

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Owlbear Camus posted:

I still want to know if every single bounty hunter on Navarro got to meet with The Client, if he gave them all the same basic praise and speil tailored to their background, and if they all got offered the Beskar or if he had a culturally significant priceless payment in kind for everybody. "Ah, yes, these Trandoshan Knife-Crystals will make your Force Pike incredibly sharp, if you can find the reptile to hone them!"

Loved this show but this loved the thread even more. I have read the past three pages all in the soothing voice of Werner Herzog. Every post. Sometimes happy Werner, other times mad or sad Werner but always Werner. I thank you for this as I had not realized until now the gentle perfection, the inescapable bliss, the well of serenity that is the voice of Werner Herzog. Thank you gentle goons.

this was also read aloud in the voice of Werner Herzog

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Owlbear Camus posted:

My theory; IG-11 iced Kuiil. He bad and Mando is gonna have to hate droids more than he does now in order for him to have to be redeemed by one later.

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t see how the tracking fob could be anything other than some kind of Force tracker, it works too well to just be a chip, Mando would’ve figured out how to jam the signal by now, or cut out the chip or something.

Listen man, the FOBs simply track people by their midichlorian levels
:goonsay:

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
1. That tie fighter landing like that hosed me UP. Mind loving blown.

2. Do you guys think that new imperial big bad guy has like a whole star destroyer at his disposal? How big you think he is in the food chain? Obviously he has pretty good resources with the commandos, transport, and big dick energy.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

vandalism posted:

2. Do you guys think that new imperial big bad guy has like a whole star destroyer at his disposal? How big you think he is in the food chain? Obviously he has pretty good resources with the commandos, transport, and big dick energy.

I'm going to speculate just because it's fun and I'm a nerd:

He does not have even a standard size Star Destroyer. He has access to a small flotilla of several destroyer/transport size ships. No more than a half dozen each of like Gozantis and Raiders. A handful of TIEs. A couple companies of troopers at most.

All the big Evil Wedges were thrown at the final decisive battle at Jakuu. But, with the scraps of materiel he has it's still enough to flex and be Moff of his little piece of the Fringe so long as he avoids provoking the Republic too much.

Not putting any money down on it, totally possible they cut to his big Mean Triangle first thing next ep, but that's what I'd say if you said "Sketch out this guy's resources based on his 180 seconds of screen time."

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm going to speculate just because it's fun and I'm a nerd:

He does not have even a standard size Star Destroyer. He has access to a small flotilla of several destroyer/transport size ships. No more than a half dozen each of like Gozantis and Raiders. A handful of TIEs. A couple companies of troopers at most.

All the big Evil Wedges were thrown at the final decisive battle at Jakuu. But, with the scraps of materiel he has it's still enough to flex and be Moff of his little piece of the Fringe so long as he avoids provoking the Republic too much.

Not putting any money down on it, totally possible they cut to his big Mean Triangle first thing next ep, but that's what I'd say if you said "Sketch out this guy's resources based on his 180 seconds of screen time."

That seems like a pretty good assessment. I feel like the dude has power but not like, throw some star destroyers at 'em power.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I like how all of these things which were perceived as not super dangerous after the OT are now seen as excessively so. The single AT-ST fighting the villagers was terrifying even though we've already seen several of them get destroyed by teddy bears and logs. And now, if this guy has a single Star Destroyer, that would be a big deal even though we've already seen 3-4 of them a time in all of the OT movies and we know there's dozens out in the ST movies.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Donovan Trip posted:

I love this titty milk.

Was super weird seeing that everywhere on Star Wars merch.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Daric posted:

I like how all of these things which were perceived as not super dangerous after the OT are now seen as excessively so. The single AT-ST fighting the villagers was terrifying even though we've already seen several of them get destroyed by teddy bears and logs. And now, if this guy has a single Star Destroyer, that would be a big deal even though we've already seen 3-4 of them a time in all of the OT movies and we know there's dozens out in the ST movies.

At least one thing is consistent: Regular stormtroopers are still a joke

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, absolutely. It's good storytelling that they can scale things down and have us care about the stakes not because a hundred guys with lightsabers are running at a thousand robots (which doesn't work), but because we like the characters and want to see what happens next. If Gideon has ONE Star Destroyer, he's a profound existential threat to a bunch of characters that we've been given plenty of time to grow to like or at least relate to.

You don't need spectacle and sometimes (I'd argue often the way it's been handled since like, 1983 in The Star Wars), it even detracts. I said in the GBS mock thread a standoff between two guys with laser guns can be a million times more compelling than the biggest CGI battle you can imagine if we care which one of them walks away.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Daric posted:

Even the prison episode, think of how many X-Wings we see get blown to bits throughout the movies, but at the end of that episode even the concept of three of them being anywhere near those supposedly hot poo poo baddest badasses in the galaxy's base and they were making GBS threads themselves and got immediately owned. I really appreciate how the show has that disparity between like what seedy folks are able to scramble for and get resource-wise vs. the actual military powers in the setting.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Donovan Trip posted:

Hi, I'm Matt.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Daric posted:

It's really what Rogue One and Solo should have been: things scaled down the day to day underworld guys to who Imperial forces of any kind are a big fuckin deal, and best avoided

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also anyone who’s critical of the AT-ST being depicted as dangerous should rewatch ROTJ and what actually takes them down. Apart from a stolen walker shooting another, the only things to do any damage are two log traps that either totally crush the walker’s head or cause them to trip. Catapults and small arms of all kinds do nothing to them. The AT-ST we saw was immune to all of the weapons the village had (except for very precise disruptor rifle shots) and had to be taken down with a trap that exploited its method of locomotion. It’s no different than a WW2 scout car rolling into a village shooting 20mm autocannon shells everywhere until it gets forced into a ditch.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Daric posted:

The thing is that it doesn't really matter how many Star Destroyers the Empire had or the Republic has now if they aren't in the Navarro system. If the Moff has a single Correlian Corvette (the smallest class of capital ship) fitted to carry 6 Ties and some troop transports, it doesn't matter how easily a New Republic frigate could blow it hell. That NR frigate isn't here. Mando's relatively well-armed but very much civilian personal transport ship is. And that ship can't match even a Corvette.

In the Terminator movie, Terminators in the future got quickly blown apart by the humans - much like IG-11 got taken down by Mando in episode 1. If Kyle Reese had had a way to shove a plasma rifle up his rear end to carry back to 1984, the movie would have been over in five minutes because Reese would've melted Arnie's rear end then and there. But he didn't have that poo poo. And 1984 weapons weren't going to cut much mustard against a Terminator.

A couple of guys on speeder bikes and a single TIE fighter become terrifying threats when you don't have what you need to take them out.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kuill says he worked indentured servitude for the empire for 3 of Carano's lifetimes... I feel like maybe his math is a little off there

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Fring is flying a standard tie because he's also a warlord of the fractured Empire and supply chain for tie interceptors was never quite actualized.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Standard Ties couldn't land like that. At least not according to the lore entries in the Rogue Squadron series. They had to fly into like a harness thing on their mothership. So Gideon has a fancy one.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Are we spoilering speculation?

I would not be surprised if this standoff gets resolved quite easily by them sending out the pram rigged with the thermal detonator Cara took from the armory. Moff Gideon goes out like Gus Frings and we never learn more about him and his motivation until we meet the next boss.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

piL posted:

Moff whosewhatsit is flying a standard tie because he's also a warlord of the fractured Empire and supply chain for tie interceptors was never quite actualized.

Quote isnt edit for shame! I'll try to add: its modeled more like a normal tie because the Moff from some planet owns shares of a tie facility that produces the old parts and just because the Imperial Navy isnt going to use them anymore, he'll be damned if they dont keep buying parts.

piL fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 20, 2019

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Standard Ties couldn't land like that. At least not according to the lore entries in the Rogue Squadron series. They had to fly into like a harness thing on their mothership. So Gideon has a fancy one.

I like to think that's just a retcon of a dumb idea that doesn't make sense. I mean landing on their wings and dropping a rope ladder would look dumb, but only being able to land on an imperial ship that holds fighters is just too dumb to excuse. That's like having a plane that can only land on an aircraft carrier. I'm okay pretending TIEs have always been able to land like that because the alternative is just to goofy.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Kuill says he worked indentured servitude for the empire for 3 of Carano's lifetimes... I feel like maybe his math is a little off there

He could have started as an Old Republic slave before transitioning into an Imperial one.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Frankenstyle posted:

I like to think that's just a retcon of a dumb idea that doesn't make sense. I mean landing on their wings and dropping a rope ladder would look dumb, but only being able to land on an imperial ship that holds fighters is just too dumb to excuse. That's like having a plane that can only land on an aircraft carrier. I'm okay pretending TIEs have always been able to land like that because the alternative is just to goofy.

Figure they're stored as they are on capital ships to keep them from sliding the gently caress around. Meanwhile they land on their wings on that First Order planet because the First Order is dumb.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

mcbexx posted:

I would not be surprised if this standoff gets resolved quite easily by them sending out the pram rigged with the thermal detonator Cara took from the armory. Moff Gideon goes out like Gus Frings and we never learn more about him and his motivation until we meet the next boss.

I put mine in spoilers because I mentioned a few minor things from the episode. But also just in case our speculations actually happen- :v: I like the idea of the floating crib having a secret compartment where they are keeping all the surprise guns/grenades. But yeah, there's a big chance Esposito will die quick and we'll get a glimpse of the real bad guy or gal right before the credits

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

mcbexx posted:

I don't think you introduce Gus Fring just to kill him in two episodes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My prediction is Kuill is alive. Next episode opens on him, you see his finger twitch, he slowly gets up

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
Kuill is going to be revealed to be the Ugnugnaught that was tossing C3PO's head around like a basketball on Cloud city. Hence his affinity for droids. He might have even witnessed some of the force fuckery that went on in the first Vader vs Luke confrontation which wound explain how he's vaguely aware of what the force is.

"My old boss had unusual ways he disciplined his son. No I will not elaborate on this. I have spoken"

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

My prediction is Kuill is alive. Next episode opens on him, you see his finger twitch, he slowly gets up

God I would hate this so much

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

If Mando had secure communications, or had just kept his mouth shut, Kuill never would have died.

Or he could have just said, "It's a trap, run." instead of "You have the child the Imperials want" and put a target on his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Quantum Shart posted:

God I would hate this so much

If they didn’t bring back ming na-wen then they’re not pulling that poo poo. I think at worst they’ll have ig-11 do a chewbacca/3po inversion and go ham on the troopers before self detonating in a coda. Gideon will escape the system with the child and set up the next season as mando hunting the child to rescue him vs protecting him. it’s a clean inversion and opens up new stories to tell while also setting up the synthesis nog the third season to wrap it up before it becomes tedious.