Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ma & Pa Kent being alive ALWAYS makes for better Superman comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Superman Smashes the Klan continues to be immensely charming and beautifully illustrated. If you've got a kid in your life in any way do everybody a favor and grab them the first two volumes for the holidays.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Rhyno posted:

Ma & Pa Kent being alive ALWAYS makes for better Superman comics.

Shots fired at All Star Superman.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
When all is said and done, I think Scott Snyder deserves credit for having written some of the most ambitious, epic, and impressively-enjoyable Justice League runs around. There's always a lot to like in all of these issues, despite a bit of bloat and a lot of interchangeable MacGuffins.

It's just unfortunate that so much of the personal and narrative stakes have been placed around this...Shayne?...character because that really demands that you be sold and smitten by the weird romance they've tossed in between J'onn and Kendra which is just.............nah. No thanks. It was just weird and did not sell to me in the least.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Overall Doomsday Clock felt like a better version of Infinite Crisis mashed in with a worse version of Watchmen.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm really torn with this because
the idea of Doc finding a purpose in rebuilding is ok, but really against the tone of Watchmen. It's basically "No we can't fix everything, lets just get God to come in and make it right". The creation of a Doctor Clarkhattan is also kind of... uh... well what does an omnipotent teenager do when they discover quantum god kidnapped them and poo poo? It's supposed to be heartfelt and a kind of sweet thing, but feels like, ultimately, "Watchmen universe was hosed because there was no Good Clark Superdaddy to save them and inspire them".

And, really, I feel that the whole thing rests on a weird assumption of Doc's powerset. That he can affect time as he wishes instead of just seeing the totality of his timeline... that maybe he's always been able to reach back and forward but his aimless, detached sense of self limited him from it.

The whole series is basically "What's so important about Superman?" And it does do some cool things, like setting up the contractions and growths of the DCU as revolving around Superman. But 3 years for this? Yikes

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 18, 2019

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
John's Superman hypothesis is Morrison's from final crisis.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mr Hootington posted:

John's Superman hypothesis is Morrison's from final crisis.
That would be interesting if FC influenced everything going forward, since Supes' Wish on the Ultimate Machine basically reformed all of reality around him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BrianWilly posted:

It's just unfortunate that so much of the personal and narrative stakes have been placed around this...Shayne?...character because that really demands that you be sold and smitten by the weird romance they've tossed in between J'onn and Kendra which is just.............nah. No thanks. It was just weird and did not sell to me in the least.

I haven't been keeping up at all. When did Kendra and J'onn happen?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

In JL. As part of a plot by the Forger of Worlds, they're lured into a "Good Ending" future that includes Kendra and J'onn getting together and having a half-Martian/half-Thanagarian kid. When the league escapes, they take the kid with them as he helped them escape

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think Doomsday Clock I think the story was not good, and could have been told in half as many issues. But, at least it results in good things for the DC Universe.

But the thing is that it all rings so hollow when it's largely the same people in charge anyway, and I feel like the current line up of DC books is just astonishingly mediocre. There's good stuff like Lois Lane coming out, but I can't say anything DC is putting out gets me excited to see a new issue for like Immortal Hulk or Marauders do.

Maybe I'm just too much of a fan at this point where nothing that comes out can really meet my expectations, but who knows. New creative teams are coming on Batman and Justice League, and I have yet to read Tom Taylor's Suicide Squad.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Suicide Squad is exactly what it needed to be. I am liking it so much more than the previous series.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I didn't hate DClock when I fully expected to loathe it so... good job, Johns? Still not great, and holy poo poo it didn't need to take this long but for as horrible an idea as it seemed when it was announced... coulda been worse.

Though I could be blinded by the fact that it brought the Kents back, which is good because offing them was one of things I hated the most about the N52. I mean there's a ton of things that people justifiably hated about the N52, but that one was one that really stuck in my craw.

Dawgstar posted:

It didn't, which is weird. Like in Xelkelvos' post, they saw they had a future child and then suddenly they just start acting like a couple. Only they have zero chemistry and never even seem interested in each other, they seem to just take it as fact that since they have a future baby that they've got to be together.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I see a lot of DDC reactions but no recognition for Alfred conking a thinly-veiled MAGA hathead with a pipe.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

It didn't, which is weird. Like in Xelkelvos' post, they saw they had a future child and then suddenly they just start acting like a couple. Only they have zero chemistry and never even seem interested in each other, they seem to just take it as fact that since they have a future baby that they've got to be together.

I feel like that's happened in comics before. Like specific examples, but I can't remember them.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh man, Wonder Woman: Dead Earth is definitely some wild poo poo. Lotsa gore, lotsa nuclear apocalypse orphans, lotsa thunderdomey stuff. You get the picture. I was gonna ream it slightly for not really having much to do with Wonder Woman, per se, besides some obligatory Hippolyta/Steve flashbacks, but...there's a scene that comes near the end of the issue that made me go oh snap, thank you yes. This is definitely still Diana. They actually do still get it.

The latest mainline WW issue from Orlando is still gibberish, though. :sweatdrop: The cliffhanger ending of Rebirth Hera finally showing up is interesting enough for my broken-rear end fan-rear end to want to read, but the non-fan part of my brain knows this is not worth the effort.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

BrianWilly posted:

Oh man, Wonder Woman: Dead Earth is definitely some wild poo poo. Lotsa gore, lotsa nuclear apocalypse orphans, lotsa thunderdomey stuff. You get the picture. I was gonna ream it slightly for not really having much to do with Wonder Woman, per se, besides some obligatory Hippolyta/Steve flashbacks, but...there's a scene that comes near the end of the issue that made me go oh snap, thank you yes. This is definitely still Diana. They actually do still get it.

The latest mainline WW issue from Orlando is still gibberish, though. :sweatdrop: The cliffhanger ending of Rebirth Hera finally showing up is interesting enough for my broken-rear end fan-rear end to want to read, but the non-fan part of my brain knows this is not worth the effort.

I was pretty excited for Wonder Woman: Dead Earth. I picked up Daniel Warren Johnson's title from a few months ago, Murder Falcon, on a whim and I came to absolutely love that. There's a grittiness to his art that feels really good for monsters, like in that series and this, and it works pretty darn well with the post-apocalyptic setting.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Dawgstar posted:

I feel like that's happened in comics before. Like specific examples, but I can't remember them.

Literally happened in the Justice League cartoon. John Stewart goes to the future and finds out he and Hawkgirl have a kid together. Later in the series when she finds out it helps them mend their relationship.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheHan posted:

Literally happened in the Justice League cartoon. John Stewart goes to the future and finds out he and Hawkgirl have a kid together. Later in the series when she finds out it helps them mend their relationship.

Didn't they get together before that? This one from what TwoPair said felt more out of nowhere.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't they get together before that? This one from what TwoPair said felt more out of nowhere.

They did, but at the end of Justice League they broke it off after Hawkgirl’s doublecross. The way they were brought back together felt way more natural compared to how Justice League sounds, but I haven’t read it so no idea if there was even a hint of them being together before that.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I actually really liked the ending of Doomsday Clock.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TheHan posted:

They did, but at the end of Justice League they broke it off after Hawkgirl’s doublecross.
The triangle with Vixen gets resolved pretty well, doesn't it?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Suicide Squad is exactly what it needed to be. I am liking it so much more than the previous series.

I love all of the new characters, though I wish they kept the dandy swordsman around for fun. He should have been a character that everyone wishes/expects to die and never does.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thanks for the Suicide Squad recommendation. That's on the pull list now.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think the overall run of Doomsday Clock had some definite high points, but the resolution felt super contrived to me, and disrespectful to the original work. I mean this comic existing at all was already disrespectful, but even moreso. I think it's totally fair for today's writers to want to address the impact of Watchmen on the industry, and to argue for an alternative, but to write fan fiction where Superman convinces Doctor Manhattan to Be Best is embarrassing imo.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 19, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Thanks for the Suicide Squad recommendation. That's on the pull list now.

Waller getting sidelined and some other schmuck commanding the squad is nothing new. Capturing people specifically to be recruited, just as much. Still, it's relatively fresh after so long and there's a new set of warm bodies to explore and red shirt.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

FilthyImp posted:

The triangle with Vixen gets resolved pretty well, doesn't it?

I don't think there was a definitive resolution in the show, but after a point her and Hawkgirl becomes good friends and it's pretty much a friendly rivalry.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Jimmy Olsen still incredible.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

Waller getting sidelined and some other schmuck commanding the squad is nothing new. Capturing people specifically to be recruited, just as much. Still, it's relatively fresh after so long and there's a new set of warm bodies to explore and red shirt.

Mostly it's because Tom Taylor is writing it, and the art's nice too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
superman smashes the klan continues to be great but ugh, gotta wait til february for the finale

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TheHan posted:

after a point her and Hawkgirl becomes good friends and it's pretty much a friendly rivalry.
Right. It wasn't like a big "oh John Picked Me!!" Thing. I think after the female fight club episode they get on better turns and have a scene where they ditch John to go pal around, leaving him kind of :confused:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just finished City of Bane and while the whole thing went way to long I liked the concluding issue. I liked he way it revolved the Batman/Catwoman relationship still would have liked a wedding but at least they declared their love to one another and it looks like it will be a relationship going forward so that's good and I liked Bruce's declaration in chosing to be happy and still be Batman. Of course this want last and he will be back to being a brooding anti social jerk, but if this was the last Batman issue ever it would be good enough.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Cassa posted:

Jimmy Olsen still incredible.

What's this?

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

graybook posted:

What's this?

Jimmy, short for Jimphony

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Excuse me, it is James Bartholomew Jimberly Olsen.

The cheek!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

good day for a bris posted:

Jimmy, short for Jimphony

Batman always gets the last laugh

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Madkal posted:

Just finished City of Bane and while the whole thing went way to long I liked the concluding issue. I liked he way it revolved the Batman/Catwoman relationship still would have liked a wedding but at least they declared their love to one another and it looks like it will be a relationship going forward so that's good and I liked Bruce's declaration in chosing to be happy and still be Batman. Of course this want last and he will be back to being a brooding anti social jerk, but if this was the last Batman issue ever it would be good enough.

I like that he just chose to hang out at a bar with Kite Man. Just Bruce Wayne and Chuck Brown watching football.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

Batman always gets the last laugh

Of course, he's hilarious you know.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
I haven't read Batman in years and years so I sat down and read Tom King's entire 85 issue run over the past few weeks (thanks, library and comixology!) and....I liked it. Month to month it would probably have driven me crazy at points but reading it as one big story...yeah, I dug it. By ending the run with Bat/Cat the way they did, the next writer or whoever down the road can undo everything easily so he can go back to a single man punching things, but I thought of it as a good ending. So much so I could care less about the next team coming in, and probably will not read Batman for years and years now.

Now that Doomsday clock is done, I'm going to check that out too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I skipped Snyder’s entire run because I knew nothing could compare to how I felt about Morrison’s run.

Was thinking about checking out Tynion’s Batman, but that Joker teaser didn’t do anything for me. Of course, I’ll be checking out Batman/Catwoman to see what they do with the Phantasm.