Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Saw doc and she seemed optimistic but my wife knows that as a person this doctor is optimistic and maybe kind of stretching to give us a bit of hope.

We aren’t sure if there’s hope and don’t want to get our hopes up. I’m basically in grief mode until/unless we find out we don’t have to be because I’m not crashing emotionally like this again over the same thing.

My wife in particular feels like it’s a blighted ovum and she can be worrisome and fatalistic but said this very matter-of-factly. Doing blood count and will see tomorrow if there’s an optimistic trend in that since we are told it should be doubling each day in a healthy pregnancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Are these safe boosters?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IP8AEXC?pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=7GVM8TFNPP2HSEZHTGQ9

My sister in law is moving in with us and wants an easy to deal with car seat for our eldest son that she can take in and out of her car. He's 46 1/2" and about 47lbs. He's such a little guy for a 7 year old, I'm not use to seeing carseats that aren't caged behemoths for him.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

If the concern is size, seat belt adjusters do 100% of the safety things booster seats are used for and don’t take up as much space. Not as easy to take out if you want to swap between full size and child sized passengers, but if she has an over the shoulder center belt and wants to seat 2 adults in the back it may not be an issue (kids should be in the center seat if possible). For alternating between children and cargo, it is the most convenient.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We're looking for something she could just keep in the trunk and if the situation arises, pop it in.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Alterian posted:

We're looking for something she could just keep in the trunk and if the situation arises, pop it in.

Edit: I am pretty happy to finally have family living in the same city. Its been quite the 7 years where its just been my husband and I dealing with parenting pretty much alone.

Edit Edit: Son of a bitch I swear I clicked edit.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My kids have an old iphone their mom bought them, they're now playing a recording of her telling them to go to bed and laughing like maniacs at it. She's not home now so it gave me a start to suddenly hear her voice.

Well that's all, not really sure why I even typed it up.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Our daycare is having a holiday party. They had a sign up sheet that included items such as cookies and doughnuts. I brought fruit. BUT! It's raining today, which means they won't get to go outside, so they're going to pump a bunch of toddlers full of sugar and ????? Tonight is going to be a nightmare.

Also, they brought in a Santa for photos yesterday and apparently my kid hates Santa. :woop:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I thought sugar making kids hyper was a largely disproven as a myth?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

whydirt posted:

I thought sugar making kids hyper was a largely disproven as a myth?

It is a myth but it's one everyone still buys into.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Sugar causing hyperactivity is just confirmation bias, so the kids'll be the same as they would have anyway (that is, probably still in need of running off energy since they won't be able to outside).

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
I stand corrected :tipshat:

Still, boy needs his outside time bad.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Daycare doesn't go outside, just because it's raining? Wouldn't happen around here. It's out you go, every afternoon after the nap, regardless of weather.

Well, that's how it will be once ours starts going there.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Daycare apparently decided last minute they were doing a $10 secret santa this Friday, which I'm minorly salty about because I don't usually go to the store midweek but whatever, not a big deal. It's just funny to me that apparently within the kayfabe of daycare, the kids are the ones getting each other presents? Maybe that works for the older ones? I would never stiff a kid out of getting a gift, but I did briefly entertain myself by imagining my 18 month old picking out a bunch of scratch off tickets or a Radio Shack gift card for his 2yo santee

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Ughhh first time fever here with our 4.5 month old...puked up some milk and clocked in at 100.3, so nurse gave some advice but basically monitor it. Small feeds and napping got us about 4 hours but then he vomited again and is at 101.4. Seems most ok when he is awake but definitely has fussy bouts. He has also been super congested

Been able to feed and get him to nap since then but we are so anxious about checking his temp again and it being above 102 - ugh I know this was bound to happen but is still nerve wracking, I feel helpless like any minute now he is going to have the sickness of all sicknesses! Poor baby

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

hooah posted:

Sugar causing hyperactivity is just confirmation bias, so the kids'll be the same as they would have anyway (that is, probably still in need of running off energy since they won't be able to outside).

Also, situations where kids get unusual amounts of sugar tend to be occasions which encourage general excitement, such as birthday parties.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Crazyweasel posted:

Ughhh first time fever here with our 4.5 month old...puked up some milk and clocked in at 100.3, so nurse gave some advice but basically monitor it. Small feeds and napping got us about 4 hours but then he vomited again and is at 101.4. Seems most ok when he is awake but definitely has fussy bouts. He has also been super congested

Been able to feed and get him to nap since then but we are so anxious about checking his temp again and it being above 102 - ugh I know this was bound to happen but is still nerve wracking, I feel helpless like any minute now he is going to have the sickness of all sicknesses! Poor baby

It sucks...you will feel completely helpless and if you’re anything like me, you’ll get aggravated at yourself that literally nothing is working. Get ready for tons of puke. Motrin is tough, if he can have it at that age, because it’s thick-which doesn’t help with the congestion.

It seemed like we would give the Motrin, he would get that down, then after a bottle everything would come right back up.

So.much.puke.

And sucking snot out only works so much when they’re congested because with our son it was down in his throat and lungs and he couldn’t cough it up without puking a ton.

Hang in there.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to balance personal time as the daycare pick up person? My partner is able to go and do an after-work activity one weeknight per week, and gets home after the baby is in bed. I never get to do this, since I get out of work first and am the daycare pick up person. My only decent chunk of non-work ‘me’ time, at home or out of the home, is basically when the baby is in bed and I’m too tired to really start anything. Frankly I’m starting to get pretty jealous about it.

I’m happy to support my partner’s activity night, but I can’t really see how to get one of my own and I’m frustrated.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

BadSamaritan posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to balance personal time as the daycare pick up person? My partner is able to go and do an after-work activity one weeknight per week, and gets home after the baby is in bed. I never get to do this, since I get out of work first and am the daycare pick up person. My only decent chunk of non-work ‘me’ time, at home or out of the home, is basically when the baby is in bed and I’m too tired to really start anything. Frankly I’m starting to get pretty jealous about it.

I’m happy to support my partner’s activity night, but I can’t really see how to get one of my own and I’m frustrated.

Do either of you have weekends off? What about you getting the same deal on saturday night/sunday afternoon? Where you're free to nap/read/go out and your partner is supposed to handle everything as if you weren't there?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

bsamu posted:

Do either of you have weekends off? What about you getting the same deal on saturday night/sunday afternoon? Where you're free to nap/read/go out and your partner is supposed to handle everything as if you weren't there?

We both have weekends off, but they’ve become these fairly rushed ‘get things cleaned up from last week and ready for the coming week, maybe grab an hour or two of downtime here or there’ kind of things. I definitely wouldn’t be able to swing it every week/every other week :negative:

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
What time does your partner get home on a normal day? Are they always home after the kid goes to bed or is it only on the nights they go out? Could you go out when they get home? Or could your kid stay later at daycare one day a week so your partner can do pickup, or is it not open/cost prohibitive?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BadSamaritan posted:

I'm confused why being the pickup person locks you into to an entire night of care all of the time? What if you pickup the kid and when they get home you trade off? Or can you pick a day where, regardless of who gets off earlier, they go pick up the kiddo and you get to go out?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

My partner will usually get home between 5-6:30, averaging around 5:45 but it varies with commute/work demands. I pickup around 4:30. The baby starts the bedtime routine around 6:15-6:30, asleep around 7. It’s usually a rush to get dinner ready and some chores done when he gets home, and he definitely helps with childcare during that time (and does chores during the bedtime routine). Daycare is open for about an hour later than I pick her up, but I feel bad because she’s already been there for 10 hours when I go get her and it doesn’t buy me that much downtime.

I can only really see clawing some time out of the weekend. His commute improves in May so maybe that will help make an evening handoff be a meaningful amount of time for me.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Can you hire a babysitter? Once a month, at least?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

BadSamaritan posted:

Do you both work 9-5 employee jobs or do you have even slightly flexible schedules? If the former you may have to plan somewhat hard to make it happen. Does your partner know you’re itching for a bit of “you” time?

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

BadSamaritan posted:

Just going to have to ask - I know, could be easier said than done. With my wife and I, we sometimes even get jealous of the other having 10-15 mins of a break (with two kids). Just have to be vocal and carve out the time for yourself. Everyone needs a mental break, and with two people, it should be fairly even.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

diapermeat posted:

Just going to have to ask - I know, could be easier said than done. With my wife and I, we sometimes even get jealous of the other having 10-15 mins of a break (with two kids). Just have to be vocal and carve out the time for yourself. Everyone needs a mental break, and with two people, it should be fairly even.

It is amazing how 10-15 minutes becomes such a vital commodity with two little ones.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
The last time I had a night to myself was October 17th 2018. Since then, If I am not at work, our daughter is with me. My husband goes to sleep at 7 AM, when we wake up. I take her to daycare and I go to work. He wakes up at 3:30 PM, or if he chooses, he gets the luxury of sleeping in (must be nice!!!!!!!) He doesn't pick her up from daycare until 5 minutes before it closes (5:55). I get off work at 5:50. He has her for a total of 15 minutes while I drive home. He gives her dinner, then it's back to her being 100% my responsibility. I give her a bath and get ready for bed. At 7:20 he goes to work and I when I get in bed it's a gamble these days if I get any sleep or not, because she's been waking up a lot.

I loathe the weekends. Because I consider myself a single parent. I basically do it all myself because he's "got things to do" (insert video game flavor of the month). If I say I need help, I'm tired, or I need a break, it's just met back with how he's tired too, he doesn't have time to himself (WHAT???), or he's taking a break. Let's see here-- he's child free from 7 AM to 5:55 PM ... then from 7:20 PM until at least 4:30 AM when he gets home from work. If she wakes up from 4:30 to 7 AM he will take her, but she will go back to sleep for him (never me). I cannot figure out how he thinks he doesn't have any personal time.

It would be nice to sleep in once a while. I called in sick today and took her to daycare because if I didn't, I was going to lose my mind. I don't really want a night to go out, all I want to do is be alone. I just want to be in solitude one day a week. I can't let my mother watch her because I don't trust her, especially at my parents house, and she will not come over here to watch her. Which I do not understand because all her poo poo is here -- there is nothing, and I really mean nothing, at my parents house. I would have to bring the pack n play, toys, sippy cups, food, clothes, diapers, wipes... everything. And the way my parents house is run, all that stuff would need to be kept away in an upstairs storage area, boxed up, every time we leave. And will have to drag it out every time we come back.

I am looking very forward to the day my daughter can self entertain safely.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Sarah posted:

The last time I had a night to myself was October 17th 2018. Since then, If I am not at work, our daughter is with me. My husband goes to sleep at 7 AM, when we wake up. I take her to daycare and I go to work. He wakes up at 3:30 PM, or if he chooses, he gets the luxury of sleeping in (must be nice!!!!!!!) He doesn't pick her up from daycare until 5 minutes before it closes (5:55). I get off work at 5:50. He has her for a total of 15 minutes while I drive home. He gives her dinner, then it's back to her being 100% my responsibility. I give her a bath and get ready for bed. At 7:20 he goes to work and I when I get in bed it's a gamble these days if I get any sleep or not, because she's been waking up a lot.

I loathe the weekends. Because I consider myself a single parent. I basically do it all myself because he's "got things to do" (insert video game flavor of the month). If I say I need help, I'm tired, or I need a break, it's just met back with how he's tired too, he doesn't have time to himself (WHAT???), or he's taking a break. Let's see here-- he's child free from 7 AM to 5:55 PM ... then from 7:20 PM until at least 4:30 AM when he gets home from work. If she wakes up from 4:30 to 7 AM he will take her, but she will go back to sleep for him (never me). I cannot figure out how he thinks he doesn't have any personal time.

It would be nice to sleep in once a while. I called in sick today and took her to daycare because if I didn't, I was going to lose my mind. I don't really want a night to go out, all I want to do is be alone. I just want to be in solitude one day a week. I can't let my mother watch her because I don't trust her, especially at my parents house, and she will not come over here to watch her. Which I do not understand because all her poo poo is here -- there is nothing, and I really mean nothing, at my parents house. I would have to bring the pack n play, toys, sippy cups, food, clothes, diapers, wipes... everything. And the way my parents house is run, all that stuff would need to be kept away in an upstairs storage area, boxed up, every time we leave. And will have to drag it out every time we come back.

I'm sorry to hear this, that sounds really rough. As a husband I can't identify with yours because I'd love to play vidya games and chill out but that luxury is absent from my life save very few stretches of a few hours that I may have when there is nothing else to be done and my son is at daycare. Has he ever offered to take your daughter for a bit while you do something? Have you considered dropping her in his lap while he's doing whatever and telling him you're going out to do something for yourself? I get working nights, I used to do shift work and it fucks with your mood and mental state at times and leaves little time to spend with family, but on the weekends? Doesn't sound like he's got much of an excuse then. Really sounds like y'all need a come-to-Jesus talk about proactive parenting on his part.

As a guy though, I can say society conditions us generally to be passive parents. That's not an excuse for him, but that is something that can be talked through and worked toward for change. My wife and I had to talk through it too. I'm no paragon of Dadding but I could've been doing a lot better before my wife and I had a talk or two about what we need from each other parenting-wise.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Sarah posted:

I basically do it all myself because he's "got things to do" (insert video game flavor of the month).

This is not acceptable. I'm the laziest person but even I still don't abandon my wife to play video games. I got to play for a couple hours after the kids' bedtime last night just because she went to a social event, which was the first time in probably a month.

Please print out a stack of a thousand copies of this post and beat him with it.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Today my 14mo and I just bawled at each other for a while. He woke up at 4:45am and then took a lovely 35min nap in the morning during which time I cleaned. I’m sick (again) but SAHMs don’t get sick days. The crying only made my congestion worse unfortunately, though on the plus side I can’t smell poopy diapers.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Sarah, yeah that is completely uncool and you shouldn’t be expected to put up with that. Dad first, manchild gamer second ffs.

Hi_Bears I hope you get a break (and get well) soon

Thanks everyone- I do think a lot of this is a communication/expectations issue. My partner is generally much better at asking for and taking his independent time, and I tend to feel split between wanting it and wanting to be able to spend time with the baby when she’s awake, which then leads to me+baby being the default option.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
The little one has just about grown out of her rear facing Maxi Cosi baby carrier/car seat and I am looking for a replacement. Thing is we don't own a car and only need the seat for occasional taxi/Uber/Bolt rides. Perhaps flights too, as she will need her own seat soon.

Are there any forward facing group 1 seats that are safe, yet particularly easy and quick to install?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

BadSamaritan posted:

Thanks everyone- I do think a lot of this is a communication/expectations issue. My partner is generally much better at asking for and taking his independent time, and I tend to feel split between wanting it and wanting to be able to spend time with the baby when she’s awake, which then leads to me+baby being the default option.

My wife is the same, she wants alone time but wants time with our kiddo too.

Sadly toddlerdom does not always quality time make, increasing the need for alone time.

Also this desire for as much time as possible with our toddler kind of causes my wife to not want to send him to either of our parents’ houses for a few hours so we can actually pick up the house. When we are home and he’s at daycare, my wife works from home a lot and if I’m not working I’m alone to do housework which gets overwhelming, and there’s never enough time to do much that doesn’t require my wife’s input or help before it’s time to go pick him up. So when neither of us is working there’s need for downtime on both sides but with a kid running around not letting us do anything productive and/or undoing anything productive we HAVE managed to start in his presence.

Sorry for the tangent but drat it just hit me that the need to be with our kid at all times to the detriment of doing household work that needs doing, is somewhat annoying and I probably need to bring that up with my wife. I love my kid to the moon and back but FFS all I ask for is a weekend with one or both days where we can do something that isn’t going to get hosed up immediately.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Tonton Macoute posted:

The little one has just about grown out of her rear facing Maxi Cosi baby carrier/car seat and I am looking for a replacement. Thing is we don't own a car and only need the seat for occasional taxi/Uber/Bolt rides. Perhaps flights too, as she will need her own seat soon.

Are there any forward facing group 1 seats that are safe, yet particularly easy and quick to install?

Where do you live, and how big and how old is your kid?

In some geos, Uber provides car seats, which is why I ask. Laws and seat availability also varies.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I feel like pretty much all seats are pretty easy to install with latch. Might want to get one that's fairly compact so it fits in more cars.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sarah posted:

That’s not cool. My wife is a stay at home mom and I tell her to go out places and get out of the house. Yeah, sometimes I want to go exercise or do something not involving our kid, but we either work out a schedule or I suck it up. Do I get frustrated sometimes? Of course-but then I try to put myself in her position and ease up a bit.

On weekends I do say I want to get a workout in or whatever but I make sure she’s ok with it and she can have her time as well.

Her problem is she feels guilty leaving our son, so I have to force her out sometimes. They’ve never been apart for more than 5 hours (excluding sleeping) meanwhile I’ve taken multiple work trips up to 5 days.

We had a friend who’s husband acted like yours and played video games-except they had triplets...he worked from home and would just shut them out while he was downstairs working (sometimes instead of working it would be world of Warcraft though).

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

cailleask posted:

Where do you live, and how big and how old is your kid?

In some geos, Uber provides car seats, which is why I ask. Laws and seat availability also varies.

Southern Europe, a place with driving habits only marginally better than in Italy, hence the safety concerns. Taxis, which Uberlikes fall under, are exempt from child seat requirements. Taxis with car seats can be ordered in advance, but that's not always optimal.

I am under the impression that most seats for 2-4 year olds (9-18 kilos) are not really designed for portable use and remain stationary in the car, which is why I ask, in case there are exceptions.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Both my husband and I are introverts that don't really like to go out by ourselves. Usually instead of giving each other time to go out on our own to do something, one of us will take both kids out of the house so the other gets alone time to do whatever or finish something they need to finish.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

Alterian posted:

Both my husband and I are introverts that don't really like to go out by ourselves. Usually instead of giving each other time to go out on our own to do something, one of us will take both kids out of the house so the other gets alone time to do whatever or finish something they need to finish.

This is what I need my husband to understand ... he’s always trying to get me to go to a happy hour or hang out with friends and all I ever want is an hour where I don’t have to talk to anyone.

On another note entirely, we just added formula into her regimen at daycare because I can’t keep up with the demand. She had been taking 12 oz of milk in three bottles but had recently been waking from naps angry and hungry. I have been having to pump like two and a half hours at work every day just to make 12 oz, so 15 oz was not possible if I wanted to maintain my sanity. Yesterday we sent her with two 5 oz bottle of milk, and one 6 oz bottle of formula.

She did great and in total drank about fourteen ounces, and took the formula without any issues which I was relieved about since it was her first time having it since she was a week old and my milk hadn’t fully come in. She’s been pooping A LOT though. Four times before 4pm and then this morning she woke us up with the kind of blowout that required stripping the crib and throwing her straight in the bath. Could that be something to do with the formula? Or was it just a weird coincidence? We also recently started her with some solids but had time to do them the last 2 days. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Oh god our 14-month-old had some sort of horrible cold. I swear he didn't sleep more than 45 minutes at a stretch most of the night, which is course means neither my wife nor I did. At least it's a weekend, I guess?