Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathbyOtis
Mar 1, 2009
It blows my brains out how good this dumb show is compared to the new trilogy. Edited at the request of John Wick's Dog

DeathbyOtis fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Please delete that. It's extremely in poor taste

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It does the thing you would think is simple: pay respect (but not fawning reverance) to the tone and setting, and uses that world to tell a new original story about reasonably compelling new characters.

Unless S1E8 is just 30 minutes of meatspin.mp4, I'm no poo poo calling it the best Star Wars has been since 1983.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 20, 2019

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Ugnaught Nick Nolte is the best Nick Nolte.

I HAVE SPOKEN

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Frankenstyle posted:

I like to think that's just a retcon of a dumb idea that doesn't make sense. I mean landing on their wings and dropping a rope ladder would look dumb, but only being able to land on an imperial ship that holds fighters is just too dumb to excuse. That's like having a plane that can only land on an aircraft carrier. I'm okay pretending TIEs have always been able to land like that because the alternative is just to goofy.

It makes sense in doctrine. TIE Fighters are essentially a tethered projection of a ship or base’s power. They lack hyperdrive, shields, life support, or easy landing capability because it minimizes the chance of a pilot trying to go rogue and defect in their ship.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I hope we get a behind the scenes, because I really want to see how the prosthetics, the costumes and puppetry were done.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Donovan Trip posted:

Edit: also this show has generated so many good phrases. This is the way, I can take you in warm or I can take you in cold, I have spoken. That's some good Star Wars poo poo right there. Hard to think of one memorable line from the new trilogy.

The one we use more than any of them around the house: "That's not how the Force works!"

TIEs have been shown to do rough-field landing on their vanes in assorted stuff before. The Moff's is some kind of upgrade with a dedicated unprepared base capability, which seems like it would come in hand, given their circumstances.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Just watched TLJ again before I catching a matinee of TROS and it has some great lines. "Every word in that sentence was wrong" and "Let the past die" were already mentioned, but some other goods are:

"General Hugs"

"No one's from nowhere"
"Jakku"
"All right. That's pretty much nowhere."

"Permission to jump into an X-Wing and blow something up?"

"Page turners...they were not"

Back to Mandalorian, I rewatched The Client's rant about THE METRICS and Herzog absolutely nailed it.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 20, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but those are all trash compared to “This is the way.”

“This is the way” even beats “May the Force be with you”

Honestly I’m with Owlbear. Star Wars to me, now, is The Mandalorian first, then the movies, then the EU.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah they’re playing fast and loose with how smart the baby is and I don’t like it. It’s obviously intelligent enough to see if something is hurt but not enough to see if something is in real danger.

He already seemed to know injury. He learned violence from the Mandelorian.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I dunno man, that wee babe was last in the care of a barbarian gang and who knows who else. Who knows where it's been

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Donovan Trip posted:

I dunno man, that wee babe was last in the care of a barbarian gang and who knows who else. Who knows where it's been

Yeah what was their deal anyway?

Like, did Mando just kill a whole bunch of genuinely good people who were trying to keep babby yoda out of the hands of eugenicists? Or were they criminal scumlords?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah what was their deal anyway?

Like, did Mando just kill a whole bunch of genuinely good people who were trying to keep babby yoda out of the hands of eugenicists? Or were they criminal scumlords?

I'm guessing that we might get answers to at least some of the questions around Baby Yoda next episode

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

What’s with this other stupid little droid? Why is it here?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Donovan Trip posted:

Yeah maybe, but I don't think they were treating baby like a beloved son taking him out on moral quandary training.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One of my favorite parts of the episode was during Kuil’s flashback, I loved the image of him creating the ridge like “I wonder what happened down there- *45 smoking corpses and a trashed droid* drat that’s a real Mandalorian, Jesus Christ, glad I was nice to him!”

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
What if everyone who wants or has had baby yoda including Gus Fring want him solely because he cute and they want to be his dad

It's all a bunch of dads fighting each other to be best dad :baby:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What we should all be talking about is actually how Cara Dune is my girlfriend and how I want her to carry me around in her strong and comforting arms

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kuill honestly might be by favorite Star Wars character

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t see how the tracking fob could be anything other than some kind of Force tracker, it works too well to just be a chip, Mando would’ve figured out how to jam the signal by now, or cut out the chip or something.

I figured it was something like the [technobabble] network in the Alien setting or the [technobabble] quantum communicator thing in Mass Effect where because it's only ever meant to respond to a very specific thing it's able to be pretty accurate, all it really needs to do is flash faster or slower for hot/cold.

I always assumed there was a lot of offscreen investigation and legwork in between trips and the fob itself is only really going off as it's getting near the right planet about.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just assume he gives everyone a Force FOB. If you point it at the Core Worlds, it starts going off because that’s where Yoda is, if you point it anywhere else, it’s looking for Byoda

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
guys fob is just a word, not an acronym

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
The fact that The Mandalorian generates so much good discussion and speculation shows in and of itself that the show is a masterpiece. It is sleek enough to accomplish a lot of storytelling but just loose enough to leave room for these questions and thought provoking imaginings. I like it.

I also keep forgetting but Amy Sedaris as the droid mama/baby sitter for yoda was really good. Glad she didn't go full Jerry Blank and sell baby yoda for death sticks. I didn't realize it was her until the credits.

Man this poo poo is so good. As stated here, best star wars since '83.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Riptor posted:

It actually stands for Find Obnoxious Baby

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

If Gideon has ONE Star Destroyer, he's a profound existential threat to a bunch of characters that we've been given plenty of time to grow to like or at least relate to.

He probably has one though, because of his supposed standing. Either he's a real deal remnant Moff, who would have commanded vast resources and seems to have retained some power, or he's usurped the title and that means he's got serious firepower to hold on to the claim.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Riptor posted:

Nah it's a play on FOB (Free On Board) in maritime shipping regarding one's financial stake. I.E., whoever has the fob has had responsibility transferred to them for bringing in whatever it's for and it even looks like one from the earliest definition of it being a small belt ornament indicating your permission to transfer from whoever it belongs to and your stake in x thing.

So of course it's also an acronym in Star Wars

Force-sensitive Objective Bond

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sash! posted:

He probably has one though, because of his supposed standing. Either he's a real deal remnant Moff, who would have commanded vast resources and seems to have retained some power, or he's usurped the title and that means he's got serious firepower to hold on to the claim.

A reasonable guess that wouldn't surprise me either. I think it's great that they managed to shrink the scale to something that's not just oversaturated spectacle and in so doing make us care about the stakes more.

Let's be real we all suck wind through our teeth a hell of a lot harder when Baby Yoda gets dropped than when laser moon 3: laser planet shoots a laser shotgun lightyears away blowing up 5 planets at once and killing 14 billion people in the hosier system.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

it’s the dog paradigm. you can machine gun a thousand soldiers and not care but hear a dog yelp? instant sad

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Owlbear Camus posted:

A reasonable guess that wouldn't surprise me either. I think it's great that they managed to shrink the scale to something that's not just oversaturated spectacle and in so doing make us care about the stakes more.

Let's be real we all suck wind through our teeth a hell of a lot harder when Baby Yoda gets dropped than when laser moon 3: laser planet shoots a laser shotgun lightyears away blowing up 5 planets at once and killing 14 billion people in the hosier system.

Because nobody cares if a buch of Hoosiers die

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't get all the theorizing IG is bad. It looks really set up that he'll be good and help Mando get over his droidism. The Ugnot with a name even said he's programmed to protect now. A character voiced by Taika can never be bad.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

TK-42-1 posted:

it’s the dog paradigm. you can machine gun a thousand soldiers and not care but hear a dog yelp? instant sad

True. But I'd also say Kuiil's death was more affecting than Qui-Gon's, and maybe even Han's, at least to me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Owlbear Camus posted:

True. But I'd also say Kuiil's death was more affecting than Qui-Gon's, and maybe even Han's, at least to me.

Them not even showing it, just showing his corpse, was really really powerful

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
A smoking body in the sand is under utilized powerful Star Wars imagery

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
The speeder bike trooper swooping in to pick up the Child did look bad rear end, though.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hi, I'm slow! I just got that Cara Dune is Carano and Dune...

Since spice was taken from Dune for star wars does this make her a Spice Girl now?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ringo Star Get posted:

The speeder bike trooper swooping in to pick up the Child did look bad rear end, though.

Still wondering what IG-11 was up to, was he cowering in the ship or cheering on BY's kidnapping??

You'd think he couldn't do a lot of 'protecting' inside the ship! Why the heck couldnt he have fired up the Razor Crest's guns and blasted the bikers..

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Owlbear Camus posted:

Owlbear Camus posted:

God drat you are spot on with these. Anyone who hurts baby yoda deserves to be thrown in the sarlacc pit.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The Moff's words about "you don't know what he is" in regards to BabYod keep coming back to haunt me..

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

The Moff's words about "you don't know what he is" in regards to BabYod keep coming back to haunt me..

The final episode is just 40 minutes of every character arguing over what Yoda's species is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Binary Badger posted:

Still wondering what IG-11 was up to, was he cowering in the ship or cheering on BY's kidnapping??

You'd think he couldn't do a lot of 'protecting' inside the ship! Why the heck couldnt he have fired up the Razor Crest's guns and blasted the bikers..

It's inside the ship, it doesn't know what's going on