Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Not comics, but by comics people (may be aimed for kinds under 4...)

Kate Beaton kids books:
https://smile.amazon.com/Princess-Pony-Kate-Beaton/dp/0545637082/ref=sr_1_1
https://smile.amazon.com/King-Baby-Kate-Beaton/dp/0545637546/ref=sr_1_2

Xaime Hernandez:
https://smile.amazon.com/Dragon-Slayer-Folktales-America-Graphic/dp/1943145296/ref=sr_1_3
There's a Spanish version, if you're into that, but I'm not seeing it on Amazon.

Nursery Rhymes by tons of people:
https://smile.amazon.com/Nursery-Rhyme-Comics-Celebrated-Cartoonists/dp/159643600X/ref=sr_1_1

quote:

Nick Abadzis; Andrew Arnold; Kate Beaton; Vera Brosgol; Nick Bruel; Scott Campbell; Lilli Carre; Roz Chast; JP Coovert; Jordan Crane; Rebecca Dart; Eleanor Davis; Vanessa Davis; Theo Ellsworth; Matt Forsythe; Jules Feiffer; Bob Flynn; Alexis Frederick-Frost; Ben Hatke; Gilbert Hernandez; Jaime Hernandez; Lucy Knisley; David Macaulay; Mark Martin; Patrick McDonnell; Mike Mignola; Tony Millionaire; Tao Nyeu; George O'Connor; Mo Oh; Eric Orchard; Laura Park; Cyril Pedrosa; Lark Pien; Aaron Renier; Dave Roman; Marc Rosenthal; Stan Sakai; Richard Sala; Mark Siegel; James Sturm; Raina Telgemeier; Craig Thompson; Richard Thompson; Sara Varon; Jen Wang; Drew Weing; Gahan Wilson; Gene Luen Yang; Stephanie Yue

Jon J Muth has a bunch of kids books out. I read one and it was very good, but I can't remember which one that was. I'd guess they're all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Tiny Titans seems pretty good for that age range.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Usagi

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I'm looking for some good stories that involve Thanos, I enjoyed reading Thanos Quest and the Infinity Gauntlet story and was wondering if there any other good books involving him?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pixeltendo posted:

I'm looking for some good stories that involve Thanos, I enjoyed reading Thanos Quest and the Infinity Gauntlet story and was wondering if there any other good books involving him?

All of the early Jim Starlin stuff is awesome too.

The resurgence of marvel cosmic with Annihilation also has lots of Thanos. And the recent Thanos series by Toni Howard is solid.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Get on the recent Lemire/Cates series and follow that through to the wacky world of the current Marvel cosmic.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What Predator comics are good?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

lifg posted:

Bone.

Also check out the comics of Jason Brubaker. He comes from DreamWorks animation, and his comics have that good-for-all-ages-epic feel.

Thanks for this. Got the complete collection of Bone and she is loving it so far even if a bit of it goes over her head.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
I'm buying some stuff from comixoligy and in the mood for some anthromorphic stuff having been in an Usagi Yojimbo mood latley and have just read all of Boom Comics' Wilds End and also the Granville series.

Anything new anyone can point me at? I know of Blacksad but want to buy a physical copy of that, just looking at digital things for a trip.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Monstress

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Gogor is an all-ages fantasy with humans and anthropomorphic animals. Low is underwater post-apocalyptic SF with intelligent animals.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Lone Wolf and Cub

IDW TMNT

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What Predator comics are good?

AVP - ARCHIE VS PREDATOR

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
I was gifted a couple months of DC Universe subscription for the shows. I love all things animated DC, I basically grew up watching B:TAS through JLU, but I've basically never read any actual comics. Since I've got this subscription anyway, and the collection is a hellscape to navigate if you don't know what you're looking for, what are some suggestions for some storylines or comics for a neophyte to check out?

If it helps narrow down interests: I'm a lifelong DCAU fan and have seen a good chunk of the animated movies, I have a strong penchant for female heroes or leads, and would probably like lighter/fun stories than particularly edgy stuff. Sometimes-fan of the Arrowverse shows but especially love Legends of Tomorrow. So far I've peeped through Doomsday Clock (meh), 2016 Supergirl (got more interesting after the axe-dude mystery started), and 2016 Doom Patrol (this was pretty great).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

YorexTheMad posted:

I was gifted a couple months of DC Universe subscription for the shows. I love all things animated DC, I basically grew up watching B:TAS through JLU, but I've basically never read any actual comics. Since I've got this subscription anyway, and the collection is a hellscape to navigate if you don't know what you're looking for, what are some suggestions for some storylines or comics for a neophyte to check out?

If it helps narrow down interests: I'm a lifelong DCAU fan and have seen a good chunk of the animated movies, I have a strong penchant for female heroes or leads, and would probably like lighter/fun stories than particularly edgy stuff. Sometimes-fan of the Arrowverse shows but especially love Legends of Tomorrow. So far I've peeped through Doomsday Clock (meh), 2016 Supergirl (got more interesting after the axe-dude mystery started), and 2016 Doom Patrol (this was pretty great).

Mark Waid's Flash, Cassandra Cain Batgirl.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

YorexTheMad posted:

If you've seen most of the animated films, definitely read Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier, which was the source material for that movie (and Cooke came up working on the animated series; he designed the opening sequence for Batman Beyond, among other things). New Frontier is one of my all-time favorite DC series, and pretty much anything Cooke touched was gold. It's great for unfamiliar readers, too.

Starman, written by James Robinson, with art by Tony Harris and others (ran from 1994-2001; might feel very " '90s, " but it's my all-time favorite comic and a great introduction to lesser-known corners of the DCU).

Justice League (#1-6) --> Justice League International (#7-25) --> Justice League America (#26-60) and Justice League Europe (#1-36, which started around Justice League America #26 and ran concurrently) -- the ultimate superhero sitcom series, and a pretty big influence on Legends of Tomorrow. It's another lifelong favorite of mine, co-written by Keith Giffen and J.M. DeMatteis. You will see why Brandon Routh's Arrowverse character was originally intended to be Ted Kord, the Blue Beetle, and why his Ray Palmer has always felt more like Ted, between the writing and Routh's performance. (1987-1992.)

Catwoman by Ed Brubaker and artists including Darwyn Cooke (him again!), Brad Rader, and Cameron Stewart (#1-24 is a modern classic run, but Brubaker continued on the book until #37, and I feel like the art went downhill and it got too caught up in Bat-crossovers later on). Very noir, but Cooke, Rader, and Stewart always brought a Bruce Timm/BTAS aesthetic to the book.

Also check out Batman: Ego and Catwoman: Selina's Big Score, both written and drawn by Cooke.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Dec 20, 2019

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Thanks for the recs! That Justice League run sounds up my alley so I'll probably check that out first.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
If you like female leads look up Gotham central which is focused on the day to day life of cops in Gotham and a lot of focus is on Renee. After that read 52 and followed by ruckas detective stuff which is Renee as the question and Batwoman. Rucka’s has some storylines during Batman’s no mans land that also are part of the Renee arc.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

YorexTheMad posted:

Thanks for the recs! That Justice League run sounds up my alley so I'll probably check that out first.

Note they're series starting in 1987. You don't wanna find yourself reading the New 52 JLI.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Note they're series starting in 1987. You don't wanna find yourself reading the New 52 JLI.

Thank you for clarifying! Yes, the JLI I love with all my heart ran from 1987-1992 (and kept going after Giffen and DeMatteis departed, but lost the heart and humor).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm working through the Mister Miracle series from that time and it's everything I've ever wanted from a Scott and Barda series. :3:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Uthor posted:

I'm working through the Mister Miracle series from that time and it's everything I've ever wanted from a Scott and Barda series. :3:

That was a lot of fun. I collected it alongside the JL books as a kid, and I regret selling off my complete run when I was in grad school, along with my complete runs of:

Suicide Squad (at least I got those all again and will bind them... some day)
The Question
Who's Who
Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Deluxe Edition
G.I. Joe
Transformers

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...
Batman: White Knight is a self contained, non-canon story but has a lot of little nods to TAS continuity. I have no idea if it's on their digital service but it's the rare modern Batman tale that makes me feel like a TAS-obsessed kid again. (It is decidedly not FOR kids, though!)

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I dunno if “Batman: White Knight” is on DC’s app, but you can find it on Hoopla.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Teenage Fansub posted:

I guessed this was the run described, and I'm loving it so far. This was a very good call! I'd heard about the "one punch" before but seeing it in context was great.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
You have made my day. Keep enjoying!

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Is there a long run of something good made in the last 10 years or so? I'd like to binge through something. I enjoy comedy and action, generally liked preacher, y and he last man, invincible, walking dead, etc. I don't think I've read more than a few issues of anything in the last 5 years.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Kharmakazy posted:

Is there a long run of something good made in the last 10 years or so? I'd like to binge through something. I enjoy comedy and action, generally liked preacher, y and he last man, invincible, walking dead, etc. I don't think I've read more than a few issues of anything in the last 5 years.

I think people have enjoyed Saga. It's not finished though... and on a long hiatus, too. But that's a good recommendation, I think.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kharmakazy posted:

Jason Aaron’s Thor epic just ended. He spent, uh, 7 years on it?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is thirty issues a long run? Paper Girls recently wrapped up.

It's nowhere near over, but the IDW TMNT is is pretty epic at this point.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
"Wicked + Divine" just wrapped up this year.

“The Boys” ended in the beginning of the decade, same writer as Preacher.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

lifg posted:

"Wicked + Divine" just wrapped up this year.

“The Boys” ended in the beginning of the decade, same writer as Preacher.

Oh yeah? I guess that's what that show is based on? I know very little.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Uthor posted:

Is thirty issues a long run? Paper Girls recently wrapped up.

It's nowhere near over, but the IDW TMNT is is pretty epic at this point.

Really? I always brushed it off as campy. Do you think its worth jumping in and collecting at this point?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Kharmakazy posted:

If you want a long run of something good made in the last 10 years or so, you enjoy comedy and action, and you didn't mind some of the gross parts in Preacher, Image's hottest completed series is CHEW. This 60-issue madcap epic by John Layman and Rob Guillory has EVERYTHING: action, crime, horror, sci-fi, humor, classic movie references, people eating food, people eating things that aren't food, people with food-related super powers, a killer rooster, and what's that? It's all collected in twelve TPBs or six hardcover Smorgasbord editions (many of which can be gotten for cheap)! It's also available on the Hoopla digital download service through your friendly neighborhood public library.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

obi_ant posted:

Really? I always brushed it off as campy. Do you think its worth jumping in and collecting at this point?

TMNT? I really enjoy it. They are taking all the old concepts from the OG comics, cartoons, and movies and weaving them into a big, kinda crazy, story. There are some slow bits and some that don't work for me, but I'm always excited to catch up.

There's a lot of stuff and mini series (I skip most of them), so it can be a little confusing to catch up. For the most part, reading the main series and dipping into whatever minis pique your interest is fine. The first year or two had one shots that are pretty important to read but are collected in the trades separately, so those can be confusing to read in the right order.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 28, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
dont read the boys

e: the idw ghostbusters has been one continuous story since 2013?? and is very good imo

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hickman's Fantastic 4 through New/Avengers to Secret Wars is kinda one long story. His East of West just finished.

Hellboy and BPRD are done, that's a lot of issues.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

If it's ok being different stories but with single creative team then just buy everything in hardcover with "Brubaker" and "Phillips" on the cover.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

If you want a long run of something good made in the last 10 years or so, you enjoy comedy and action, and you didn't mind some of the gross parts in Preacher, Image's hottest completed series is CHEW. This 60-issue madcap epic by John Layman and Rob Guillory has EVERYTHING: action, crime, horror, sci-fi, humor, classic movie references, people eating food, people eating things that aren't food, people with food-related super powers, a killer rooster, and what's that? It's all collected in twelve TPBs or six hardcover Smorgasbord editions (many of which can be gotten for cheap)! It's also available on the Hoopla digital download service through your friendly neighborhood public library.

I appreciate the SNL reference and will check it out, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kharmakazy posted:

It's definitely wayyyyy more 'comedy' than 'action' (there's not really all that much of action at all, to be honest), but Giant Days by John Allison ended earlier this year and won an Eisner, so maybe that might be worth a look?