Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

Mooey Cow posted:

Can we get the context in which the word "rear end" is said in the movie The Rise of Skywalker? We have seen the Snokes and chimp lab assistant. The rear end is all that remains.

Is this the swearing people were complaining about in reviews? are there more swears?
This is important to me for some odd reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Pick posted:

Some of you actually had hope this movie would be good? LOL, I say. LOL. That is funny to me because that is stupid. Under what circumstances was this movie ever going to turn out to be good. You had feelings and then you let your feelings get hurt because of something that you know was going to happen. Go and get married while you're at it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
just got back. i thought it was ok and i had fun watching it. i put it on the same level as TFA. a fun cool looking movie that has too fast pacing and lots of dropped threads and poo poo that is never talked about or brought up. i am just glad its done.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tom Gorman posted:

My understanding is there wasn't any boning involved. Grandpa Ovaltine used the same space cum shooting method to produce his son, who is Reys dad. Who had an eye on the back of his head, and is named Triclops lol.

thats old canon.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I went in expecting something really bad and ended up feeling absolutely nothing. I'm really in a bit of shock how unengaging it was. Can't even pretend to get mad about the bad parts because it was just hollow and empty. At some points I rolled my eyes and just stared at the ceiling for a long while. Other points I just stared at the screen unfocused. Meaningless film

Knight fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 20, 2019

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

just got back. i thought it was ok and i had fun watching it. i put it on the same level as TFA. a fun cool looking movie that has too fast pacing and lots of dropped threads and poo poo that is never talked about or brought up. i am just glad its done.

lol

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

true. idk i found it fun even if it was dumb as gently caress which makes it more enjoyable than TLJ at least. idk.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I was surprised at how large Leia's role in this film was. I had a feeling they were going to use a cgi Leia for a cameo or something, but she actually had a big part.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Chrs posted:

Also was Lando planning on loving Naomi Ackie’s character at the end or did I misread that?

Lando's a player, even in old age. Poor Finn, he keeps getting rejected. At least the ugly girl likes him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gianthogweed posted:

I was surprised at how large Leia's role in this film was. I had a feeling they were going to use a cgi Leia for a cameo or something, but she actually had a big part.

i was more surprised how good 3po was in it. i never cared for 3PO in all the movies but i found him funny in this one.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Gianthogweed posted:

Lando's a player, even in old age. Poor Finn, he keeps getting rejected. At least the ugly girl likes him.

Kelly Marie Tran is really hot though. Too bad Rose is a pointless trash character who inexplicably derails Finn into a nothing plot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Kelly Marie Tran is really hot though. Too bad Rose is a pointless trash character who inexplicably derails Finn into a nothing plot.

she is cute, id agree with that and i want to like her charater and i didn't think she was bad in either movie but loving lol she was just there to state the themes over and over again.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I liked it, it was okay.

I agree that Rey didn't have to be related to Palpatine. She could've been a nobody who was force-sensitive and it wouldn't have changed anything else about the plot. Force lightning? Yeah, folks with some dark side can do that, big whoop she doesn't have to be related. Her parents did their poo poo because everyone disliked Emperor Palpatine

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Dapper_Swindler posted:

she is cute, id agree with that and i want to like her charater and i didn't think she was bad in either movie but loving lol she was just there to state the themes over and over again.

She genuinely does a very good job playing an unassured, dorky engineer trying to find her place in a hosed up galactic conflict, but like Rey, Finn, and Poe in TLJ, she has no good material to work with because that movie is really goddamn weird, man. That's the thing. They're all good actors with lots of charisma and chemistry with each other... yet so much wasted potential.

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!
I feel really bad for Boyega, they just don't let him do anything after the first film. He's basically the Yamcha of Star Wars.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Mandalorian ended on a big cliffhanger. This was possibly the weakest episode so far, the set-up felt sort of clunky and a bit. . . "Oceans 11 Assemble" . Still good though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The only thing that really got my tits in the latest episode was shock trooper lady constantly harping on the "only four guys, huh?" thing. Like it was funny the first time, and the second time fine, but by the tenth time like, holy poo poo lady, new bit please.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

She genuinely does a very good job playing an unassured, dorky engineer trying to find her place in a hosed up galactic conflict, but like Rey, Finn, and Poe in TLJ, she has no good material to work with because that movie is really goddamn weird, man. That's the thing. They're all good actors with lots of charisma and chemistry with each other... yet so much wasted potential.

i thought poe and finn and rey had pretty good chemestry together in this movie. driver was good as he always is but he didnt do much. I liked the sequel trilogy as flawed as they all are(and they are pretty loving flawed) and i had fun watching this one. i did kinda cheer at the Wedge cameo.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Saw Rise of Skywalker at an advanced screening, it was fine but (this is my unrealistically-high-standard star wars kid geek coming out) but just like the rest of the sequel movies it didn't "feel" like star wars.

I feel like Mando, Kenobi, and hopefully the Cassian series will probably be future of star wars. This is most likely because they all hang around the timeline of the OT and I realize that. And my child brain can't accept new star wars. I saw a lot of kids through the roof tonight though.

Linux Pirate fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 20, 2019

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Linux Pirate posted:

hopefully the Cassian series

I had to look up who this was, and uh didn't that dude die?

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

dudeness posted:

Like all star wars series, this will take place BEFORE the movie. Because star wars.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Also I don't know if I'll ever forgive disney for killing LucasArts and Kyle Katarn with it. Yes I'm that petty.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

dudeness posted:

Prequel series about Cassian Andor and his snarky robot buddy K-2SO. Should be a fun time, especially if it leans into Cassian being an amoral dickhead who gives no fucks except to get the mission done for the Rebels.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Hm, it's the day after it came out and on rottentomatoes it's still listed in 'coming soon' rather than 'opening'.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Talked to two friends who watched it, and while they were giving me the rundown between the two of them they must have said, "They never explain it/why/how/when/where/who" like 20 times. The consensus was that someone had a 10 year old ad-lib their idea for a Star Wars movie while a very loud and ominous stopwatch was counting down from 5 minutes, and they made it exactly how it was explained with no alterations or additional information.

Prequel series about Cassian Andor and his snarky robot buddy K-2SO. Should be a fun time, especially if it leans into Cassian being an amoral dickhead who gives no fucks except to get the mission done for the Rebels.

I'm guessing that series quality is going to tank suddenly as studio execs are going to start interfering in them as there are no more movies for them to micromanage and meddle in and the series are going to be the big headline grabbers. "Hey, you've got to meddle in something, how else are the bosses going to know that you're earning your pay?"

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Blistex posted:

I'm guessing that series quality is going to tank

I like to be optimistic but yeah because again star wars.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I watched some Mandalorian with the sound off in a hospital waiting room the other day and wasn’t terribly impressed.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

People who say the Vader scenes are gratuitous pandering have no idea what they're talking about because Rogue One has the best prequel depiction of the character by far. ANH Vader is a literal horror movie monster who strikes fear into allies and enemies alike with his imposing presence and body language alone. Rogue One expands on this by giving him a super rad spooky Sith castle and then he murders an entire ship of Rebels in seconds.

But I assume all of you haters have either no understanding of Darth Vader as a character and/or haven't seen ANH in many years.

Actually Darth Vader is a whiny boy who gets sand in his underwear

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I’m really disappointed that Anakin wasn’t as pithy as OT Vader. Vader always went about his business slightly tongue in cheek. Anakin displayed none of that tendency.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
“If this is a counselors’ ship, where is the ambassador?”

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
“Apology accepted, Captain Needa.”

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Linux Pirate posted:

I like to be optimistic but yeah because again star wars.

It's corporate/Hollywood culture.

You want to hitch your name to the next big property, and have enough input into the project that you can claim to be responsible for some of that success (if it turns out). With the movies petering out like a wet fart, and the Mandalorian getting positive reviews and a lot of hype, those micro-managers are going to want to get involved.

Here's hoping Jon Favreau can keep creative control over the property, because I'm pretty happy with what he's done so far.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Blistex posted:

I'm guessing that series quality is going to tank suddenly as studio execs are going to start interfering in them as there are no more movies for them to micromanage and meddle in and the series are going to be the big headline grabbers. "Hey, you've got to meddle in something, how else are the bosses going to know that you're earning your pay?"

I hope you're wrong and Disney stays relatively hands-off with the Star Wars TV shows like they have been with Marvel stuff post-acquisition. The Mandalorian seems to be pretty great in part because Jon Favreau appears to have close to full control of the show, along with his directors/writers and other staff. He even got the final say in not merchandising the hell out of Baby Yoda right away.

But you're probably right and we'll find out the Obi-Wan show or The Mandalorian S2 is a nightmare of reshoots and edits, just like the ST and Rogue One. :sigh:

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Just saw it. It's bad, folks.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

She's cute in comparison to your average girl. But compared to movie actress (ie Daisy Ridley), she's pretty plain looking.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

THe star Wars

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

There's no way they can put K2SO in a series and not have it be unbearable.
I was amazed that Rogue1 actually managed to come out as well as it did. I can only assume 90% of K2SO's "funny" lines were left on the cutting room floor with the rest of the material from the trailer.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Snackmar posted:

I liked it, it was okay.

I agree that Rey didn't have to be related to Palpatine. She could've been a nobody who was force-sensitive and it wouldn't have changed anything else about the plot. Force lightning? Yeah, folks with some dark side can do that, big whoop she doesn't have to be related. Her parents did their poo poo because everyone disliked Emperor Palpatine

Yes she had, cause its a star wars, and everything has to be interconnected.
God fiorbid Xwing pilot 347 isnt the son of the waiter that served stormtropper 836s brother who was the guy with the vibro-baton or something.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I liked the Extra Snoke Tanks

wish they had given even the slightest explanation for the dudes with the Kylo masks and regular weapons though - I thought they were supposed to be Kylo's personal posse, so I'm not sure why they turned on him at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Yes she had, cause its a star wars, and everything has to be interconnected.
God fiorbid Xwing pilot 347 isnt the son of the waiter that served stormtropper 836s brother who was the guy with the vibro-baton or something.

lol that they killed the old canon where everything/everyone was connected just to do the exact same thing