Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
The movie was perfectly adequate popcorn fare and it's amusing watching all the "cinephiles" spin on a giant hamster wheel as they exhaust themselves explaining why the boring derivative movie was more entertaining than the one with at least a well executed John Williams score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

First thought: JJ Abrams read way too much early EU.

qbert posted:

Is this true? Because if the kiss was incest then it's suddenly hot and I'm totally cool with it.

They’re either cousins or step siblings so there you go.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that Palpatine is Anakin's father so she still is a secret Skywalker.

I don't buy that and I don't think Disney does either. It's a throw-away line from a liar. Their official profiles lean more towards the "midichlorians did it" side of things. Still stupid, of course.

Zoran posted:

You, uh, realize that Rey turns out to be a secret Palpatine instead, right?

Of course. I saw the movie. She denies her heritage entirely. She was raised the child of no one and remained that until she claimed something herself. She inherited nothing but force sensitivity, which TLJ shows isn't too uncommon and this movie (with hints of Finn) shows can happen to anyone.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
I mean if anything the ironic “it rhymes” take is dead on. Force awakens got people buzzed for the franchise, last Jedi was very divisive at first but the most interesting both visually and thematically and will be remembered as the best one; this k e will only be remembered because it’s the last one, otherwise completely uninspiring. It’s poetry see.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Danger posted:

What about any of It was stylish? It lacked any kind of distinct style or visual motif.

It felt like a Transformers movie, but Star Wars.

Are we sure Michael Bay wasn't involved?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The movie's dumb.

I am more than capable of enjoying a dumb movie.

I'd prefer that it had been not dumb.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Danger posted:

What about any of It was stylish? It lacked any kind of distinct style or visual motif.

Shiiid man. It just loving looked cool. That's not a motif? :350:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

romanowski posted:

ben solo didn't even do anything redemption worthy. like so what if he revived rey. dude still helped blow up five planets at once

Uh, don't you remember Han Solo appearing to forgive him for murdering him? Well, I mean, it wasn't really Han, it was a memory of Kylo's, so really it was all in his head and actually was just him deciding that "Yeah, my dad would probably forgive me."

Powerful stuff.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Little Mac posted:

Of course. I saw the movie. She denies her heritage entirely.

the very first scene is someone telling kylo that he can't deny the blood of his heritage lmao

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Angry Salami posted:

Uh, don't you remember Han Solo appearing to forgive him for murdering him? Well, I mean, it wasn't really Han, it was a memory of Kylo's, so really it was all in his head and actually was just him deciding that "Yeah, my dad would probably forgive me."

Powerful stuff.

Anyone notice that Harrison Ford didn’t appear to be credited?

Waiting through the credits for that let me see that Jennifer Hale got credit as the KOTOR2 protagonist. Thats cool.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

Pigbuster posted:

No, Sheev! I refuse to give in to the dark side and kill you! Now hang on, I need to kill all these nameless mooks that undoubtedly deserve to die far less than you do. Okay, now that that's done, nevermind I'll kill you now.

I was actually interested in the final fight because they set up this dilemma, almost a dark side reversal of the "strike me down and..." line, and was wondering how they'd get out of it. But nope, just some technicality fixes it.

Tired: RoS undoes all of TLJ

Wired: RoS undoes all of the lessons Luke learns in ROTJ

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

RLM deserves the Star Wars fandom and the Star Wars fandom deserves RLM.

It’s a match made in festering poo poo.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

hobbesmaster posted:

Waiting through the credits for that let me see that Jennifer Hale got credit as the KOTOR2 protagonist. Thats cool.

aayla secura was the exile?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought for sure I saw Meetra Surik, never mind. The credits were going by pretty fast.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Little Mac posted:

I don't buy that and I don't think Disney does either. It's a throw-away line from a liar. Their official profiles lean more towards the "midichlorians did it" side of things. Still stupid, of course.

It’s literally shown in-panel in a Disney approved canonical (lol) tie-in comic book.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Tell me please.... what happens to captain Phasma?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Canadian Surf Club posted:

I was actually interested in the final fight because they set up this dilemma, almost a dark side reversal of the "strike me down and..." line, and was wondering how they'd get out of it. But nope, just some technicality fixes it.

Tired: RoS undoes all of TLJ

Wired: RoS undoes all of the lessons Luke learns in ROTJ

The direct comparison to how TLJ surprised the hell out of me with Luke's clever ploy in the climax is just... so palpable.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This movie was such a piece of poo poo even when you know the spoilers. Wow it’s like bad as a film. The pacing is like what the gently caress. They wrote themselves into a corner with this movie.

It’s a new low

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The first like hour and a half is just a series of video game fetch quests

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I honestly don’t even know how to describe what I just watched Jesus Christ lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This movie was such a piece of poo poo even when you know the spoilers. Wow it’s like bad as a film. The pacing is like what the gently caress. They wrote themselves into a corner with this movie.

It’s a new low

All JJ Abrams films have horrific pacing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Little Mac posted:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

It kills everything interesting about The Last Jedi but does explain how Sheev got his jizz into Anakin's mom so it's a win in my book

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

smoobles posted:

I laughed out loud when a rebel suggested "We can use the Holdo maneuver!" and the general told them to shut the gently caress up, you're only allowed to do that once

That line hit me like a drat wrecking ball. Just that feeling of "...what the gently caress was that? Really?? Okay wait right I was watching a movie, poo poo". Just say nothing! I wasn't thinking about it, now I am!

lmfao

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

is this a manga what the hell order do i read this in

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
You knew poo poo was gonna be bad when a development as insane and huge as Palpatine’s return was literally revealed in the first line of the opening crawl and that was the extent of the movie’s explanation on the matter.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
But she was already pregnant though? Anakin had two dads apparently.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Sheev looking like he wants to sell some used cars in that second panel.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Asked a friend who just got back from the movie how it was and he just sent back this

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Leia really felt like one of those flash player soundboards that people would use to pull pranks.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Dehry posted:

Leia really felt like one of those flash player soundboards that people would use to pull pranks.
Keeping her character alive all this time is both shameful exploitation and writers writing themselves into corners.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Lando wanted to gently caress that girl at the end

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Uncle Wemus posted:

Asked a friend who just got back from the movie how it was and he just sent back this

This movie is worst song played on ugliest guitar

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

This movie wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be imo. The leaks sounded hilarious, but after actually seeing the film, yeah, it was fine. It was moving at breakneck speed before they got to Passana, but after that, it was a decent Star War. Not the best, obviously, but it wasn't bad either. I was entertained.

qbert posted:

You knew poo poo was gonna be bad when a development as insane and huge as Palpatine’s return was literally revealed in the first line of the opening crawl and that was the extent of the movie’s explanation on the matter.

They hand-waived Sheev's return by using a line from the prequels, which I thought was funny.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
A better ending:

Ren tries in vain to revive Rey. A wispy blue hand alights on his shoulder.
(Rey) "You can stop now. Stop fighting. It's over."
(Ren) "But you can't be dead...we...we could've accomplished...*done* so much together."
(Rey) "We still can. None of us are ever truly gone - you know this. You've *seen* this. We are luminous beings...(looks at her body)...not this crude matter."
(Ren turns around to see the entire cadre of passed Jedi)
(Rey) "We all live in you now."
(Yoda) "Worthy of our legacy, you now are."
(Anakin, yes, even him) "Succeed where I failed. Let go of your hate and rage, let the light guide you. Don't let your pain define you as it did me."
(Luke) "I saw something in you. It terrified me. I thought you would rend this galaxy in two with your anger, like my father and Palpatine. And you almost did. It's always easier to destroy. But creating something, building it from the ashes, passing it on...that's our gift to you. Start anew. Stop following us. We're behind you - not above you."

The "rise" of Skywalker ends up being Rey's ascension to the state of becoming one with the Force - not assuming the mantel of Skywalker and eventually having kids/fostering future generations (presumably with Ren) who will inevitably be both good *and* evil because precedent.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 20, 2019

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The Glumslinger posted:

Was Force healing ever a thing before this?

Rey just put 3 points into the support skill tree.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I have to admit that soured me on the film super early on. "No Rose, sorry, you go away and... uh, Finn just treats you like poo poo for the rest of the film. Don't worry though he has a NEW girlfriend! Don't worry though she's black so you won't have to worry about any of that icky miscegenation! Also maybe she's going off with Lando because he's the only other black person in the universe besides Mace "I'm dead" Windu who is probably her great grandfather or something."

I honestly held my breath out of fear that Lando would say "I knew a woman once in the Golden Sector" and leave them looking at each other thoughtfully.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Episode IX: And Then All the Jedi Stood Up and Applauded.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Trump says “execute order 67” in the piss tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So who were all the people in the sith auditorium?