Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Flickr is good but I sometimes go years in between remembering it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Have you tried using it recently? It's...bad.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Flickr sounds like a lesbian dating app.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Queen Combat posted:

Have you tried using it recently? It's...bad.

I only use it because I've been using it since high school, currently downloading a literal decade of photos to put on another backup drive just in case. Kind of a bummer because I liked how straightforward it was early on though yeah, now it's kind of a pain.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

All the Web 1.0 image hosting services went to poo poo. Photobucket was pretty big a while back so people used it to host images on blogs and such. Now you visit those sites and all the images have been replaced by a distorted, watermarked version of the original, meant to get you paying premium.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Vegetable posted:

All the Web 1.0 image hosting services went to poo poo. Photobucket was pretty big a while back so people used it to host images on blogs and such. Now you visit those sites and all the images have been replaced by a distorted, watermarked version of the original, meant to get you paying premium.

At least they're still letting you embed photos again. They completely blocked it for a while and it absolutely wrecked tons of car repair guides.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The one thing I'll miss about Flickr, never having been a user or a member of its community, is this magnificent account, which is super high quality scans of true ephemera that I honestly don't think exist anywhere else.

And Photobucket can eat a fart out of my butt for the way they gutted countless blog articles and posts and etc making up years of the fascinating, low-fi, personal internet.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pastry of the Year posted:

The one thing I'll miss about Flickr, never having been a user or a member of its community, is this magnificent account, which is super high quality scans of true ephemera that I honestly don't think exist anywhere else.

And Photobucket can eat a fart out of my butt for the way they gutted countless blog articles and posts and etc making up years of the fascinating, low-fi, personal internet.

Oh balls was that walk down memory lane. Goodness.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oh balls was that walk down memory lane. Goodness.

:same:

It's weird how things change without you really noticing for the most part.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Most imagehosts seem to really hit the wall with '...how do we make money off this?' and mostly their solutions involve pissing off all their customers who immediately move to something else.

Or in imgur's case, try to become a social media site, which might be worse.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

imgur's UI is also actively hostile toward anyone on mobile

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Imgur is awful. I had to use a third party uploader app that would spit out the direct link before the option got patched in to the Awful app.

On desktop they'll do whatever they can to make right click copy image address as difficult as possible.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most imagehosts seem to really hit the wall with '...how do we make money off this?' and mostly their solutions involve pissing off all their customers who immediately move to something else.

Or in imgur's case, try to become a social media site, which might be worse.

One of the problems is that coding an image gallery isn't the hard part. Hosting it is. So when a company finally starts realizing that oh poo poo we have to pay to keep the lights on they've hit a mass of customers that just keep tossing more and more crap on their hardware. Said hardware is neither free to maintain nor power. It also starts eating up more and more bandwidth, paychecks for the people who maintain all the infrastructure, and increasing storage. So when they have to start making money yeah it pisses off the customers but they don't have a choice.

Meanwhile there is always somebody, somewhere who will gladly eat the loss to let you put your images up on their currently smaller, less costly pile of hardware with...the intent on gobbling up all the customers so they can make money off of them later.

It's an endless cycle that I don't think can be broken.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You can't use imgur on mobile anymore unless you use the app. If you visit the site, it will tell you how it's no longer supported. And the app sucks, it doesn't give you all the different types of links for posting an image, unlike the desktop version.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Let's all pour one out for waffleimages. You left us far too soon.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One of the problems is that coding an image gallery isn't the hard part. Hosting it is. So when a company finally starts realizing that oh poo poo we have to pay to keep the lights on they've hit a mass of customers that just keep tossing more and more crap on their hardware. Said hardware is neither free to maintain nor power. It also starts eating up more and more bandwidth, paychecks for the people who maintain all the infrastructure, and increasing storage. So when they have to start making money yeah it pisses off the customers but they don't have a choice.

Meanwhile there is always somebody, somewhere who will gladly eat the loss to let you put your images up on their currently smaller, less costly pile of hardware with...the intent on gobbling up all the customers so they can make money off of them later.

It's an endless cycle that I don't think can be broken.

sure it can: stop trying to run a for-profit business intending to extract profit by hosting people's images

Cactus Ghost has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Dec 20, 2019

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I use quickimgur to upload on mobile. It even copies the direct image link into your clipboard automatically.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ever since someone pointed out that you can use the iOS Shortcuts to resize, upload, and give you a link back to your gallery (that gives you an option to name on upload), I haven't been to Imgur except when someone links a gallery here.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Did imgur change this week?

I used it a week or maybe two ago and the easiest way to get the URL was to just open the image in a new tab and then copy the URL. Both on mobile and desktop

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

OMGVBFLOL posted:

sure it can: stop trying to run a for-profit business intending to extract profit by hosting people's images

So no image hosts then?

In the old days you just paid to host the pictures on your own web host and hoped someone leached your images in a very public way so you could sneak in a goatse.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

So no image hosts then?

In the old days you just paid to host the pictures on your own web host and hoped someone leached your images in a very public way so you could sneak in a goatse.

yep there's no form of organization possible other than "Profit-seeking corporation" and "Lone DIYer"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Hosting all those images still costs money even if you're not trying to make a profit

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Krispy Wafer posted:

That reminded me of something I haven't thought about in years... some douche leeched one of my "before" images of my circuit-bent toys work from my site, proudly proclaiming "hey guys, look what I found in the garbage! Can't wait to use it!"

I switched it for a picture of a penis pump. Good times!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

brugroffil posted:

Hosting all those images still costs money even if you're not trying to make a profit

thank you Dr. Economics

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Wait, how the hell are you all uploading images to the forums from mobile?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bean posted:

Check out that icon in the upper right corner.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Detective No. 27 posted:

Check out that icon in the upper right corner.

Wrong button, get plat and let Lowtax's spine host your images for free :smaug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bean posted:

You can direct-link to imgur.com/upload and it skips the mobile browser redirect. It's not sized or setup for mobile but it works I guess. Unlike imgurs mobile site.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

You can direct-link to imgur.com/upload and it skips the mobile browser redirect. It's not sized or setup for mobile but it works I guess. Unlike imgurs mobile site.

Yeah, until they arbitrarily disable this some day.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, until they arbitrarily disable this some day.

Surprise! Once you cookies refresh, they have! You have to force desktop but I'm sure at some point they'll try to disable that, too.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Garrand posted:

:eyepop:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Garrand posted:

Their mascot is either a sweaty bean or a midget in a pink canoe

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Tbh, I'd pay a small fee for a straightforward image host. Something simple, has the formats I may need, and no lovely adds or social media bullshit. I would literally pay to not be bothered.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Well there's your problem. That's a potentially sustainable business with absolutely no hope for never-ending, explosive revenue growth. Why would anyone want to invest in something like that?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Also, you’re not harvesting all sorts of data to sell off to tech-bro ghouls? What even is the point then :confused:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Harvesting data will come later when you're forced to accept $10k for 9% equity and two board seats from a VC firm who mandates you get a loan from their bank to assist your cash flow and then they vote you out of the CEO role when that quarter's numbers don't hit the 400% growth you agreed to shoot for.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Well there's your problem. That's a potentially sustainable business with absolutely no hope for never-ending, explosive revenue growth. Why would anyone want to invest in something like that?
Most of the Web 1.0 image-hosting companies tried that and went bust. It's not a real business model. Nobody wants to pay a subscription so they can shitpost memes on internet forums.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The future is uploading your memes to Twitter and embedding the tweet.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Vegetable posted:

Most of the Web 1.0 image-hosting companies tried that and went bust. It's not a real business model. Nobody wants to pay a subscription so they can shitpost memes on internet forums.

People hate paying for stuff on the internet. It's a wonder it worked for SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I still use imgur out of habit and because I rarely host images anyway but I used to be able to view albums and move existing, uploaded images into albums and now it seems like that's half broken- I can put things into albums if I'm just uploading them but can't move them around once they've been up-put

What can I use instead of imgur