Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Any must-have gems in there? I'm thinking about getting Society but otherwise I'm not seeing anything that I definitely need.

I've never seen those Battles Without Honor and Humanity sets going for any cheaper than this. Although tbh I watched the first one and it didn't really click with me so I didn't continue on with the series, but I know it's considered extremely influential and essential by many fans of the gangster/yakuza genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Any must-have gems in there? I'm thinking about getting Society but otherwise I'm not seeing anything that I definitely need.

If you want historical significance, the Battles Without Honor or Humanity films and the NZ quartet of Vigil, Navigator, Smash Palace and Sleeping Dogs (which, along with The Quiet Earth, redefined New Zealand cinema in the 70s and 80s).

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Good looking out - I picked up the Makhmalbaf and Guitry sets.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

feedmyleg posted:

These are probably obvious but if you don't have them there's Creepshow 2, A Fish Called Wanda, RoboCop. If you want a deeper cut I'd highly recommend Crimes of Passion if you like sleaze.

Edit: It appears that they don't have any of these things. I'd still recommend seeking out Crimes of Passion though. I was lucky enough to find it in a thrift store for three dollars.

Basebf555 posted:

I've never seen those Battles Without Honor and Humanity sets going for any cheaper than this. Although tbh I watched the first one and it didn't really click with me so I didn't continue on with the series, but I know it's considered extremely influential and essential by many fans of the gangster/yakuza genre.

I couldn't get into that because it's really convoluted and you have to remember so mnay characters. It was good from what I saw but it just got really confusing so I'd have a hard time recommending it. But at that price, why not. You can turn around and sell it for more than you paid later.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 17, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

I couldn't get into that because it's really convoluted and you have to remember so mnay characters. It was good from what I saw but it just got really confusing so I'd have a hard time recommending it. But at that price, why not. You can turn around and sell it for more than you paid later.

Yea that was my problem with it, which tbh is often due to me trying to watch something when I'm not in the proper mood to pay close attention. But it was very intricately plotted and I couldn't follow all the characters and what they were up to.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Same here. I enjoyed the first film as a piece of history, but it didn't grab me enough to continue the series. I loved Yakuza Law, but that doesn't appear part of the sale.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't recommend Requescient enough. Great western.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ooh, thanks for the heads up on this sale! Picked up the Makhmalbaf set and La Grande Bouffe.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Basebf555 posted:

Yea that was my problem with it, which tbh is often due to me trying to watch something when I'm not in the proper mood to pay close attention. But it was very intricately plotted and I couldn't follow all the characters and what they were up to.

The second film is easier to follow. It's something where I had to go along for the ride and the pieces fell together. But yeah, it is dense as poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
YMMV, but the Dollar Tree stores in my area have gotten big shipments of DVDs and Blus and there are actual real movies and some BBC shows alongside the trash. Nothing mind-blowing, but I picked up a couple of the Fast & Furious movies, Inherent Vice, Her, a couple Top Gear seasons, and both 300 movies. Some even had digital codes. Not too bad for $1 apiece.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

YMMV, but the Dollar Tree stores in my area have gotten big shipments of DVDs and Blus and there are actual real movies and some BBC shows alongside the trash. Nothing mind-blowing, but I picked up a couple of the Fast & Furious movies, Inherent Vice, Her, a couple Top Gear seasons, and both 300 movies. Some even had digital codes. Not too bad for $1 apiece.

I found Chillerama and Turtles 2 at mine

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Got the dark society trilogy from the arrow sale. can't pass up 3 movies for 17 bux. Anyone know if 12 monkeys ever goes on sale during these things?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Boinks posted:

I found Chillerama and Turtles 2 at mine

They should pay you the $1 to take Chillerama off their hands.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

ChazTurbo posted:

Got the dark society trilogy from the arrow sale. can't pass up 3 movies for 17 bux. Anyone know if 12 monkeys ever goes on sale during these things?

I got 12 Monkeys during one of the B&N Arrow sales, which was $20. Not a huge amount but I've definitely seen it on sale during Arrow UK's sales for between £7.50 and £10, which is like between $10 and $13. The only issue is you never know what titles they decide to put on sale.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

They should pay you the $1 to take Chillerama off their hands.

The art on the cover is really nice

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

ChazTurbo posted:

From the looks of it, it seems like these titles might be stuff that's less popular. That's not to say it's bad stuff. Just that stuff like Creepshow 2 or a Fish Called Wanda move more units than The Baby or a fifty dollar box set with a bunch of early Brian DePalma movies nobody has heard of.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, there's about 24 hours left in Kino's "End of the Decade" sale:
https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/code/december-klsc-sale

Lots of great titles and lots of their 2019 releases, especially a bunch of former Criterions.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is there a good US Blu-Ray of Ran? I suppose there hasn’t been any talk of a UHD of it?

Edit: also where the hell is the Lawrence UHD

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

Is there a good US Blu-Ray of Ran? I suppose there hasn’t been any talk of a UHD of it?

Edit: also where the hell is the Lawrence UHD

This is the one you want.
https://www.amazon.com/StudioCanal-...ovies-tv&sr=1-2

I doubt we'll see any Kurosawa UHDs, at least any time soon.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/status/1207662685007024128?s=19

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Paranoia agent next please.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

I seriously doubt that's what he wants as it's an SD upscale.

David, you either need to go region free and get the UK edition or wait for someone to release the 4K restoration in the US. Not that the latter is perfect - it has a weird colour scheme, but it's fairly easily fixed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Steen71 posted:

I seriously doubt that's what he wants as it's an SD upscale.

David, you either need to go region free and get the UK edition or wait for someone to release the 4K restoration in the US. Not that the latter is perfect - it has a weird colour scheme, but it's fairly easily fixed.

It's the one that's available. I assume the answer they were looking for wasn't "go region free".

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Sure, but he also asked for a good BD.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I asked if there was a good US release and it sounds like there isn’t. I’m not willing to buy a region free player since the reality is I don’t use enough physical media to get a good return on that investment. It’s kind of offensive when UHDs are totally region free, as well.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

We're getting close to 3 1/2 years without any Kurosawa releases and Criterion has the rights through Janus Films to 26 of his 30 feature films (Kagemusha is Fox, Ran is StudioCanal, Dreams is Warner, and Rhapsody in August is MGM), so I think a complete box set is inevitable.

Though, we're supposed to get Fellini and Varda boxes in 2020, too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I saw a pretty good quality screening of Ran at the Drafthouse no more than a few years ago, so I figured there'd been a restoration and it's surprising that hasn't been put on physical media yet.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

I saw a pretty good quality screening of Ran at the Drafthouse no more than a few years ago, so I figured there'd been a restoration and it's surprising that hasn't been put on physical media yet.

It's weird that StudioCanal don't just release the restoration in the US. Maybe the rights issue is more complicated.

e: Oh right, Lionsgate handles distribution in the US. I guess they can't be bothered. Weird.

Steen71 fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 20, 2019

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Speaking of StudioCanal, the new Paris Texas BD looks pretty drat good:

(Bottom: Criterion)

Steen71 fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 20, 2019

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I can’t wait to hear people bitch about the color grading.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
I can bitch about Ran's colour grading some more, if you'd like me to.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Steen71 posted:

I can bitch about Ran's colour grading some more, if you'd like me to.

Go right ahead. :allears:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Someone on Blu-ray.com forums posted the full specs for Arrow's Jodorowsky set, coming March 30, 2020.

New 4K restorations of Fando y Lis, El topo, and The Holy Mountain; plus the premiere of his new film Psychomagic, A Healing Art (!)
Both 1.33:1 and 1.85:1 versions of El topo
Original mono and 5.1 remixes
Commentaries by Jodorowsky (carried over from the previous DVDs/Blu-rays)
New interviews with Jodorowsky
Introductions by Richard Pena
New interviews with Brontis Jodorowsky and Pablo Leder
Archival interviews with Jodorowsky (from the ABKCO box)
La constellation Jodorowsky (feature-length doc - from Fantoma DVD of Fando y Lis)
La cravate (short film by Jodorowsky previously exclusive to the ABKCO DVD box)
Video essay by Ben Cobb on The Holy Mountain
Deleted scenes for The Holy Mountain
Six collector's postcards
Double-Sided foldout poster
80 page book
Soundtracks to The Holy Mountain and El Topo on CD

Seems like everything from the ABKCO set is here except for the trailers, but they might add them to the list later.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Probably a day 1 purchase for me for El Topo and Holy Mountain, but I don't know anything about Fando Y Lis. What type of film is it?

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
There's a small chain of stores near me that mostly sells used movies and games. Over the past year, they've started selling new, sealed blu-rays from Arrow, Shout, VinSyn and others. Yesterday, I went there and decided to treat myself to Tammy and The T-Rex. While I was browsing, there was another guy looking over the new, sealed blu-rays and had a stack of at least 20 movies. I know the whole stack was from this section since they only put out display cases and keep the actual movies behind the counter, and it took the girl working there a few minutes to pull all of them when he went to check out. I didn't hear the exact total but it sounded like it was over $600. Is this normal behavior for a person? I know some of you will spend a lot on the sales but these were not on any kind of discount. I'm not sure if the store has a distribution agreement or if they just buy a couple copies on sale and then sell at full price, but from what I can tell, everything sells at what you would pay buying directly from the label or maybe more (if anyone knows what it went for at release, my Tammy and the T-Rex was $24.99 +tax).

Sorry if it seems like I'm overreacting. I've seen people there buy 1 or 2 at a time but never anything like this.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Homeybeef posted:

There's a small chain of stores near me that mostly sells used movies and games. Over the past year, they've started selling new, sealed blu-rays from Arrow, Shout, VinSyn and others. Yesterday, I went there and decided to treat myself to Tammy and The T-Rex. While I was browsing, there was another guy looking over the new, sealed blu-rays and had a stack of at least 20 movies. I know the whole stack was from this section since they only put out display cases and keep the actual movies behind the counter, and it took the girl working there a few minutes to pull all of them when he went to check out. I didn't hear the exact total but it sounded like it was over $600. Is this normal behavior for a person? I know some of you will spend a lot on the sales but these were not on any kind of discount. I'm not sure if the store has a distribution agreement or if they just buy a couple copies on sale and then sell at full price, but from what I can tell, everything sells at what you would pay buying directly from the label or maybe more (if anyone knows what it went for at release, my Tammy and the T-Rex was $24.99 +tax).

Sorry if it seems like I'm overreacting. I've seen people there buy 1 or 2 at a time but never anything like this.

Nah, you're not overreacting, this poo poo is brainworms.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Homeybeef posted:

I follow some people on instagram that routinely buy giant stacks of movies like that, I don't know how they afford it. Or even watch all of them, for that matter. The most I've ever picked up at once was like 6 from a Kino Lorber sale where they were all $10.

edit: also $25 for the Tammy blu-ray is the same as it was directly from VS, for the pre-order at least.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Probably a day 1 purchase for me for El Topo and Holy Mountain, but I don't know anything about Fando Y Lis. What type of film is it?

Kinda mediocre, to be honest. Some neat imagery in a Fellini kinda way but nowhere near as satisfying as El Topo or Holy Mountain or Santa Sangre

that La Cravate short is a lot of fun though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

To be fair, some of us buy stacks of movies because it's out only hobby and 99% of whatever's coming out on disc from 2014 onward will likely never get another physical release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Homeybeef posted:

You’re not overreacting. I can’t see needing more than 21 copies at most of Tammy and the T-Rex.