Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Speaking of which I just recently realized there’s a joke/wordplay in #TOMO. とも (”tomo”) means friend or pal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The current Wrestle Kingdom build is about the 10 year story they've been telling about Naito, a man who has gone through incredible character changes. People are very stupid.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

It's hard for people to comprehend nuanced multi layered storytelling with mush brains.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

In one sentence can you explain what Baron Corbin's character actually is in a sentence?

Not entertaining.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
He’s a king

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jerusalem posted:

Speaking of Taichi, there was that angle where the completely mad, fun-time having Hiromu broke down into tears and screams when Taichi reminded him of his time as a Young Boy and being bullied by Taichi, which lead to a feud in which Hiromu confronted and had to overcome that mental/emotional block. Simple, straightforward, and most importantly GOOD storytelling/character development!

or the Iizuka retirement angle, which is my pick for angle of the decade.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
there's a common thread with all of these stories though: they're all either very simple stories or a combination of simple stories and progressions building to something; with little added things that reward investment in the story. Which is what you want: it means that you can jump on halfway and it all makes sense but if you've followed it the whole way or if you go back and rewatch things it'll be a rewarding thing. Compare that to most stories in WWE which are more complicated; tend to be told in much shorter periods and are usually entirely forgotten as soon as they end and which due to the... unique way in which WWE TV is put together often punishes investment rather than rewarding it since they'll start things and then drop them immediately; and AEW have been going down the more modern US TV model recently as well which I think could be a misstep.

The core fundamental thing in pro wrestling is that generally the stories that lead to the biggest emotional investment are the simple ones; and its that emotional investment that is the core of what pro wrestling has always been about (even if in the past this would have worded differently the match that draw the most money are the ones that people care about the most). While I think you can tell more complex stories within pro wrestling (Lucha Underground tried and sometimes succeeded) the general rule of keeping things simple seems to work the best and I can think of more people trying to be cute and failing than succeeded with complex stories.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Women find Baron Corbin incredibly sexy

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

coconono posted:

or the Iizuka retirement angle, which is my pick for angle of the decade.

Legit up there as one of the absolute best retirement angles/payoffs I've ever seen. Just loving amazing from start to finish.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Iizuka had some real fun poo poo right there at the end. Was it last year’s tag league where for one hot second it looked like he was going to submit ZSJ? That was loving awesome.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
To this day I'm still suspecting that the Iizuka retirement angle actually was a shoot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jesus WEP posted:

Iizuka had some real fun poo poo right there at the end. Was it last year’s tag league where for one hot second it looked like he was going to submit ZSJ? That was loving awesome.

The crowd believed, I believed, and I think for one terrifying moment ZSJ believed too. It was glorious.

Cerebral Bore posted:

To this day I'm still suspecting that the Iizuka retirement angle actually was a shoot.

Suzuki-Gun shouting after him asking where he's going and him just wandering through the crowd and into the night to never be seen again really was just tremendous.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The best part of the Iizuka retirement angle was that Tenzan literally spent days praying at the shrine where Iizuka's soul was stored. That's going the distance to sell a story.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
https://twitter.com/SUPPW___/status/1207655411899342848?s=20

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

The real problem with AEW is that the wrestlers have too much creative freedom and are enjoying themselves too much

https://twitter.com/SUPPW___/status/1207668773538476032

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I love these galaxy brain takes.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
why do so many brain poisoned wrestling goblins post their dumb poo poo like they’re writing poetry or something

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

WatermelonGun posted:

why do so many brain poisoned wrestling goblins post their dumb poo poo like they’re writing poetry or something

They're very intelligent you see.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The real problem with AEW is that the wrestlers have too much creative freedom and are enjoying themselves too much

https://twitter.com/SUPPW___/status/1207668773538476032

I feel like there's a nugget of truth in there among the poo poo. AEW might benefit with one person as a central creative person that the various ideas & programs get funnelled through. You can still have creative freedom but it's able to be directed a little better, theoretically at least.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

AEW is fine for what it is, PWG on a weekly basis, which still makes it 10x better than WWE.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
I don't know why so many people think WWE won't book years-long angles. Who can forget HHH's reign of terror??

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Son of Man posted:

I don't know why so many people think WWE won't book years-long angles. Who can forget HHH's reign of terror??

Or the 5 years of the disastrous Roman push

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/rundownnetwork/status/1208178992420925440?s=20

https://twitter.com/rundownnetwork/status/1208184128375529472?s=20

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

lmao

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I don’t even have loyalty to my own company who pays me and gives me benefits how much of a loser do you have to be to carry water for nothing

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Ah yes I'm sure Cody Rhodes, international megastar who's changing the face of wrestling, can't wait to go on your lovely "intentionally offensive" twitter podcast

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

haha

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

oldpainless posted:

Women find Baron Corbin incredibly sexy

blind women maybe

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Ah yes. thank goodness the brand allowed me all these things that I would never have possibly been able to do on my own.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
DEBATE ME

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
never seen a podcast destroy itself so quickly before.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Did anyone think about the name "Rundown Wrestling Network" before they committed to it? :psyduck:

Welp

Yikes

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The name of that top Patreon tier, holy poo poo.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lamuella posted:

The name of that top Patreon tier, holy poo poo.
yikes

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Those 2 patrons have to be the "hosts" of the podcast, right?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It’s definitely their mothers imo

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

the world needs more people podcasting into the void

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Who would pay money for an NXT review podcast and not listen to one of the last number of free ones? I get Patreon for extra things and talking about more niche wrestling but not NXT?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Well no one does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

As much as we're kicking a really lovely, dumb puppy here, look at their feed: even before the patreon bonuses, they're putting out multiple 90 minute episodes per day.