Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

LGD posted:

the stories are being told in non-linear order, something that only become really apparent in Episode 3 and much more obvious in Episode 4

drat, I noticed things weren't adding up in 3 but since I'm blind to it figured I just wasn't paying close enough attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
By non-linear do people mean some storylines are taking place in a different time period to others? That’s the only thing that would make sense to me right now.

e: only just starting ep 4, to clarify

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Cool fights, impressive monster design, swearing, bickering between Geralt/Dandelion Jaskier and, dare I say, bomb rear end tittays.

All's good. They are nailing the true Witcher spirit.

Whaaaa? Ep 4? Timeline shenanigans?

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
(Ep4) The timeline jumping confused me for a bit, the Lioness is the queen who got killed in Ep1, right?

E: Ep4 And that makes her Ciri's granddaughter, meaning the daughter being married off is Ciri's mom?

Loezi fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 20, 2019

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

esperterra posted:

From the cute lil hints they released with the episode titles, The Last Wish will be episode 5.

I meant The Last Wish book. I'm assuming each episode adapts a story but from the sounds of it not in the same order?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

By non-linear do people mean some storylines are taking place in a different time period to others? That’s the only thing that would make sense to me right now.

essentially yes the back and forth cuts you see between characters does not necessarily mean what they're doing is taking place contemporaneously, and some things in later episodes occur earlier chronologically than things in earlier episodes - this is usually made pretty obvious by who is alive

Escobarbarian posted:

e: only just starting ep 4, to clarify

actually the timeline jumps should have also been apparent towards the end of Episode 3 when both Foltest and Adda show up at the wizard dance party as children

Loezi posted:

(Ep4) The timeline jumping confused me for a bit, the Lioness is the queen who got killed in Ep1, right?

E: Ep4 And that makes her Ciri's granddaughter, meaning the daughter being married off is Ciri's mom?

correct on both counts, assuming you actually meant grandmother - Ciri explicitly states this on a couple of occasions

LGD fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 20, 2019

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Loezi posted:

(Ep4) The timeline jumping confused me for a bit, the Lioness' is the queen who got killed in Ep1, right?

EP4: Grandmother I think you meant and yes.

EP 5: nm.

cheesetriangles fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 20, 2019

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

EP4: Grandmother I think you meant and yes.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks.

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

Note the difference in rhyme and prose in the flashbacks, took me a bit to twig to it

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Haha, they really went to great depths to make sure you didn't feel sorry for the royal bitch with the baby dying. First stating she didn't care about any of the citizens because they all just "wanted things", repeatedly cursing Yen, by the time she got around to offering her baby for sacrifice I could only roll my eyes.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I don't know how ya'll didn't pick up on the timeline shenanigans by episode 1 with Renfrie talking about Calanthe just recently winning her first battle a few scenes after that event was mentioned to Ciri by her grandmother

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Just finished ep 1, I think Cavill is doing a great job with Geralt and is in line from how he feels from the games at least. Great episode to start off with, I'm sure we'll get a lot of Butcher of Blaviken references from here on out

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I don't know how ya'll didn't pick up on the timeline shenanigans by episode 1 with Renfrie talking about Calanthe just recently winning her first battle a few scenes after that event was mentioned to Ciri by her grandmother

Yeah. I'm on episode 4 atm and from what I can tell Ciri would be the 'present'. Geralt's story so far has been in the past. Yen even further in the past. Otherwise it's happening chronologically for each individual person.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
(Up to ep 4 but this isn’t really specific to any episode) so with some help from esp my understanding is that the Ciri storyline is the “present day” storyline, with the Geralt stuff set before that, and the Yen storyline set even further back?

e: as above

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I caught that, but at that point in the story it's possible to not have caught Calanthe's name, or think it's the missing daughter of Calanthe, and then nothing in Episode 2 really indicates these events are not happening more or less simultaneously unless you already know the timeline from the books, it's only super obvious from towards the end of Episode 3 on

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Calanthe is high camp and I love her for it.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Yup, I'm pretty happy with how they've handled it because each time they have done a time skip, it has always referenced something that was almost immediately previously mentioned before. Renfri mentioning Calanthe winning her first battle (meaning that storyline takes place approximately 35-45 years before Ciri's dance party), Foltest and Adda being at the witch's ball (placing it again about 30+ years previous)... there was also the bit about the king Elf's uprising that Calanthe put down AFTER the wedding. It's good.

EP 5: Welp, first time a story change has actually made me go wtf. Making Cahir into a straight up murderous villain is stupid as hell. Same thing with Fringilla? What the crap. Also unrelated but the druids of brokilon were stupid.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Queen: It sucks women don't have the right to choose who they want!

Also Queen 5 seconds later: MY DAUGHTER CAN ONLY MARRY WHO I WANT I WILL MURDER HER LEGAL FIANCE

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Calanthe gna Calanthe.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Ah, the old "we need to know what this person knew but they're dead now, so we'll eat part of their body to get their memory" trick. Except that's not enough for this show, that doesn't give you the memories, what gives you the memories is someone then eviscerating the person who ate the flesh of the other person and then playing with their guts on the ground

This is reaching Warhammer 40K levels of ridiculousness and I'm loving it.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Am I the only one that thinks Tissaia looks like Kelly Ripa?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Tehran 1979 posted:

Ah, the old "we need to know what this person knew but they're dead now, so we'll eat part of their body to get their memory" trick. Except that's not enough for this show, that doesn't give you the memories, what gives you the memories is someone then eviscerating the person who ate the flesh of the other person and then playing with their guts on the ground

This is reaching Warhammer 40K levels of ridiculousness and I'm loving it.

I'm pretty sure that was haruspicy/anthropomancy actually

they got information Calanthe wouldn't have known

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm up to EP 6 and already getting mad I'm gonna have to wait at least another year for season 2.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Ep4: The "gently caress." after Geralt calls the law of surprise and it turns out the princess is pregnant was great.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I enjoyed the first episode, but I can see how someone who's not familiar with the books and games would be pretty confused. The whole setup for the conflict in that episode is mumbled by Lars Mikkelsen in a few lines, and never really expanded on. I don't think The Lesser Evil was the best story to start on. Given that they had to cover a bunch of Ciri stuff too it probably would've been better if they just used the first short story, since it's a dirt-simple introduction to the character.

I agree with whoever said the lack of natural light is a killer too. Every scene which goes for atmospheric lighting ends up with SyFy original sheen that just makes it all feel cheap and nasty.

stev fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 20, 2019

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Loezi posted:

Ep4: The "gently caress." after Geralt calls the law of surprise and it turns out the princess is pregnant was great.

There is like 1 good gently caress an episode.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Maybe it's sleep deprivation and visiting family and not watching with headphones on like usual or some sort of cognitive dissonance working but watching episode 1 the series seems extremely wooden with regards to acting and kind of bad? I'm not saying the series is bad, but first impressions are not great.

Cavill is pretty good at the role though.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

drat, this is making me want to start yet another replay of Witcher 3.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

Dessel posted:

Maybe it's sleep deprivation and visiting family and not watching with headphones on like usual or some sort of cognitive dissonance working but watching episode 1 the series seems extremely wooden with regards to acting and kind of bad? I'm not saying the series is bad, but first impressions are not great.

It's not just you, this is pretty much going to be the default opinion. First half of Ep 1 is not good, last half is better but I could see someone averaging the whole episode as bad. Episode 2 is a huge improvement and then by the end of episode 3 you will either have your opinion completely changed or know the show isn't for you.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Stopped after episode four. The narrative structure can be a tiny bit confusing when you're watching scenes without the principals and I imagine it will throw people a little if they're not familiar with the story. On the other hand it also means you're getting extra bang for your buck as a change in principal character triggers me going "oh yeah poo poo what's gonna happen now!?" which is awesome.

Episode three with the striga and the glamour going at the same time was loving dope even if I thought the book's Striga hunt had some more interesting witching... witchering?

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

cheesetriangles posted:

There is like 1 good gently caress an episode.

Right after you said that I got to Ep 5's best gently caress 'What the gently caress?' at the smoke in the mayor's house

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Tehran 1979 posted:

Right after you said that I got to Ep 5's best gently caress 'What the gently caress?' at the smoke in the mayor's house

EP 6: I've yet to see a good gently caress in EP 6 and it's bumming me out.

cheesetriangles fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 20, 2019

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Hot drat the song at the end of ep 5 is super bad. Seems like they were going for a rains of castamere thing and just found someone off the street to give it a go.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

Kaedric posted:

Hot drat the song at the end of ep 5 is super bad. Seems like they were going for a rains of castamere thing and just found someone off the street to give it a go.

Thought you were talking about the song that starts playing while she's making the decision, tabbed out with it going to credits to come post "I don't know what you mean, it's not ba.......oh. oh dear. OH DEAR."

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

In EP 7: The past starts to catch up with the present

Really loving this show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They did up The Last Wish quite well i m h o

I'm really enjoying Anya Chalotra's Yennefer.

e: lmao e6 is The Bounds of Reason. Excellent.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 20, 2019

fudyr
Oct 29, 2010

This silence is mine
Is there a lot of depictions of rape in the show? That's something that ultimately made me stop watching Game of Thrones.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Looking at the plot synopsis it looks like the order is:

The Lesser Evil
The Edge of the World
The Witcher
A Question of Price
The Last Wish
The Bounds of Reason
The Sword of Destiny
Something More

Is that correct?

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

fudyr posted:

Is there a lot of depictions of rape in the show? That's something that ultimately made me stop watching Game of Thrones.

There hasn't been a single rape in 6 1/2 episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

It's been a while since I read the short stories, so my memory is muddled, but there's one where Geralt goes to a farm house and there's a girl living with the monster he's supposed to kill. Or the girl is the monster, not quite sure. Geralt ends up having dinner with the monster and they talk stuff over and bond. As I said, memory's quite hazy, but I remember enjoying it quite a lot.

Does that ring a bell? What's the name of that story?

I hope it makes it into the series (currently starting E6).
Oh that dude with the two amazons. God drat, I hardly remember anything from the books, but I keep recognizing poo poo. That's a lot of fun!

Dragon? Villentretenmerth?

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 20, 2019