Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Random guess from Ep 6 that I guess I'll spoiler middle age guy is a gold dragon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

mcbexx posted:

It's been a while since I read the short stories, so my memory is muddled, but there's one where Geralt goes to a farm house and there's a girl living with the monster he's supposed to kill. Or the girl is the monster, not quite sure. Geralt ends up having dinner with the monster and they talks stuff over and bond. As I said, memory's quite hazy, but I remember enjoying it quite a lot.

Does that ring a bell? What's the name of that story?

I hope it makes it into the series (currently starting E6).

A Grain of Truth.

It's based on beauty and the beast and isn't in the series based on the synopses.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Tehran 1979 posted:

Random guess from Ep 6 that I guess I'll spoiler middle age guy is a gold dragon

Not very subtle with his wardrobe

Edit:
"That ship has sailed, wrecked and sunk to the bottom of the ocean. Ow".

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 20, 2019

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Wow, really surprised they put in (ep6): Villentrentenmerth. That owns.

But... seriously... what the gently caress are they doing with Cahir and Fringilla. Really giving me big frowny face time.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kaedric posted:

Wow, really surprised they put in (ep6): Villentrentenmerth. That owns.

But... seriously... what the gently caress are they doing with Cahir and Fringilla. Really giving me big frowny face time.

I feel like they amped up (related to your second spoiler) Cahir as a way to kind of emulate the terrifying way CIri would remember these events in the books. I'm not a fan of it rly.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I loved the games and I'm liking this show but if I hear the word "destiny" one more goddamned time...

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

mcbexx posted:

"That ship has sailed, wrecked and sunk to the bottom to the ocean. Ow".

Laughed out loud at that too. I didn't notice his clothes before I guessed that, just the way he was talking.

Also I've got to say the biggest complaint is that they are repeatedly doing the "we'll have somebody do something inexcusable so you don't feel bad they die / are removed" trick ad nauseam.

Dumb knight hacking up the starving animal, the woman Ciri is staying with in the woods treating the dwarf like poo poo, queen escaping assassin doing everything up to and including trying to sacrifice her baby, etc. It just keeps going on and on. Stop it, show, you're better than this.

Also Ep 6. Can't believe they're using that voice deepener for Cavill but didn't do anything for the old British guy's dragon voice. That voice coming out of a giant dragon was :laffo:

Also the show is at 60% Critic on RT. What a bunch of idiots.

Tehran 1979 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 20, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Going to leave episodes 7 and 8 for tomorrow, but this poo poo is good. It has a few weird to bad choices, but overall is a solid af adaptation with great casting.

Henry Cavill needs a better wig tho.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Ha, Calanthe is fuckin awesome.

e: Jesus. As the father of a newborn this beach scene in episode 4 fuckin got me.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 20, 2019

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

10 Beers posted:

Ha, Calanthe is fuckin awesome.

Is this from games/books? In ep 7 she's extremely unlikable, thinks she's great but is hilariously incompetent and a hypocrite to boot.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Just finished EP 8 after an all night marathon non stop. Really loved the show and can't wait for more. I think the show is gonna turn a lot of people off with how much it assumes you know and how out of order a lot of events happen.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

Just finished EP 8 after an all night marathon non stop. Really loved the show and can't wait for more. I think the show is gonna turn a lot of people off with how much it assumes you know and how out of order a lot of events happen.

yeah, same - I really enjoyed it and am hype for season 2, but while I don't think the non-linear story would have thrown me I don't know how well I'd have tracked everything if I didn't know the series as well as I do, it'll be interesting to see those takes

also surprised at how faithful an adaptation of the short stories it was for most of the season

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I played the games but never read any of the books except for a couple chapters of Last Wish so the events in here were largely new to me. However just knowing who Geralt Ciri and Yen are probably give me more than enough context clues to piece it all together. I can easily see someone newer getting a 1 or 2 episodes in and turning off. The start of ep 1 is very weak with a very good second half that more or less continues throughout the rest of the series. I was really put off by Cavil at the start of ep 1 because I think he was given very wooden material on purpose to start with in that ep. The rest of the series features a much more familiar Geralt to me as a game player and has great moments of drama and downright hilarity. Cavil did an excellent job and I was really skeptical of his casting based on trailers. The cast as a whole was great.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
End of Ep 7: Apparently they got Sam Raimi to direct the last minute of the episode. That was hammy as gently caress

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

So far response seems to be critics hated it and audiences liked it; caveat that people who prioritised watching it might be familiar with the games/books and that may die down over time.

They really did lift W3 Geralt, Doug Cockle should get royalties.

On Ep2 now.

- Geralt owns, and Henry Cavill is clearly having the time of his life playing Geralt.

- Dandelion owns

- Battle was weird and sucked. This isn’t a high fantasy story, you can’t get all Lord Of The Rings with this.

- Fight in Ep1 was awesome. Appreciated the quiet use of Aard sign.

- There’s an awful lot of welsh accents in this show, which is nice. Actually a lot of accents in general.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
The metacritic rating is being tanked by a 0 from EW where the reviewers start by talking about geralts hair. Then one of the reviewers says he skips to episode 5 and that it would benefit from commercial breaks.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I just got through ep 3 and holy poo poo the practical effects on the Striga were loving miles ahead anything I expected for the freshman season of an adaptation like this. Easily the best horror inspired costuming I've seen on TV in years--frankly in a lot of media this side of Del Toro nowadays.

I'm also pleasantly surprised that Cavill kind of loving owns as Geralt? Conversations seemed to leave most people I spoke to worried about how he'd do, and even with me giving him the benefit of the doubt beforehand I'm pleasantly surprised.

It's good.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ThePagey posted:

I'm also pleasantly surprised that Cavill kind of loving owns as Geralt? Conversations seemed to leave most people I spoke to worried about how he'd do, and even with me giving him the benefit of the doubt beforehand I'm pleasantly surprised.

Yeah he's absolutely a highlight, which is why I'm a bit bummed that so much screentime is being taken from him during the one part of the saga that's actually about him and building his character.

I get it, and it's probably the only way of doing it that would have worked, but the short stories feel like they needed a lot more time.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Tehran 1979 posted:

Is this from games/books? In ep 7 she's extremely unlikable, thinks she's great but is hilariously incompetent and a hypocrite to boot.

I'm not that far yet, but sounds familiar!

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Done. More please. Although I didn't like the sidelining of Geralt in the final episode, that took it down a tiny notch.

Do all the books, then gently caress it, do the games as well.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Just finished and yeesh. Went from loving the show to around ep 5 to almost hating it by the end of ep 8.

I'll say again I've never played the games or read the books so maybe some of this would be different if I had but spoilers for everything

They should not have made this a non linear story. There's way too much going on, too many names, places, people, abilities, things, whatever for someone uninitiated to pick up on AND make it non linear. This felt like if they'd made Game of Thrones non linear.

By the end of episode 8 I realized I just don't give a poo poo about anything that's happening. The big bad evil kingdom that invaded Cintran wants to invade the north, which we know nothing about, and we're supposed to care because....? They aren't even that evil considering Queen Calanthe was just as happy slaughtering every other race she could, elves, hedgehog people, etc, up to and including her daughter's soul mate.

Then we get what can only be described as Dragon Ball Z witch battle between a bunch of extremely unlikable witches on both sides chucking fireballs and expert archery hitting 5cm bottles from half a mile away. Who are you even supposed to be wanting to win at this point, the evil witches who kidnap and imprison most of their students to siphon their powers or the EVIL EVIL witches who...haven't really done anything that bad that I can remember? Hell they're probably less genocidal than the kingdoms we're supposed to be rooting for since they were only shown to be butchers to the humans they conquered instead of literally everything else under the sun that isn't human.

I might not have ever noticed most of this if they hadn't put Geralt out of the last episode as much as they did.

There was just way too much poo poo shoved in to this 8 episode first season show. I know Netflix is quoted as saying they don't see the need for shows to go past 2-3 seasons but god drat, never have I felt them leaning as heavily onto that as this show.

Tehran 1979 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 20, 2019

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Tehran 1979 posted:

By the end of episode 8 I realized I just don't give a poo poo about anything that's happening. The big bad evil kingdom that invaded Cintran wants to invade the north, which we know nothing about, and we're supposed to care because....? They aren't even that evil considering Queen Calanthe was just as happy slaughtering every other race she could, elves, hedgehog people, etc, up to and including her daughter's soul mate.

Grats you understand the Witcher.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

CJ posted:

The Witcher - "everything is horrible".

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

CJ posted:

Spoilers involve my take on why the wars and political intrigue being pointless and bad is intentioned. No specific plot spoilers:

The Witcher (in my limit context of the novels and my extensive context of the games) is a very personal story of outcasts building a family and finding a place for themselves in a world that usually hates them and minimum does not give a poo poo. And often Does Not Give a poo poo(TM) means you're killed and no one gives a poo poo.

The backdrop of the warring nations and "political intrigue" mostly serves to compare how deeply, unironically capital-G Good Geralt is and how much he cares about doing the right thing and protecting his found family. The things he does in service to the larger factions is pretty exclusively done in order to protect the little people that get ignored or abused.

imo if the show wants to be more than just badass monster killing soap opera it's gonna need to lean heavy into this going forward and I hope ep 4-8 leads me to believe it will. Even if it isn't as nuanced as I'd like I'm still gonna enjoy it I'm sure, but no idea if the public will.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
I think you guys are confusing, or I stated it sloppily, but just because someone is horrible doesn't mean they're unlikable. The Hound in GoT was by any definition a terrible person but you still liked him.

There's only two characters in all of The Witcher that I like; Geralt and Jaskier. Both had very little to do with the last two episodes.

From the posts earlier I'm guessing Queen Calanthe was supposed to be a Robert Baratheon type character? I can see how that was maybe the goal but she had zero of the self awareness Big Bobby B had which is what made him likable.

Tehran 1979 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 20, 2019

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Watched the first five episodes and I'm pleasantly surprised. Didn't have the highest expectations and the first half of ep1 had me worried but it's been improving fast.

I wish Geralt and Dandelion got more screen time because both the actors are just killing it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

e: lol my bad they don't call him dandelion here

I dig this show three episodes in and really liked the casting of Calanthe, excited to see her in the rest. Casting as a whole has been extremely on point and seems encouraging for the show going forward

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 20, 2019

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

bloom posted:

I wish Geralt and Dandelion got more screen time because both the actors are just killing it.

I read an offhand take on Twitter saying that the actor playing Dandelion couldn't sing and I'm not sure if maybe I just can't properly appraise quality anymore but I thought the dude was absolutely killing it in terms of vocal quality.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Geralt and Dandelion Jaskier escapades were the best part of the books so I'm glad to see it translate well in the show

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ThePagey posted:

I read an offhand take on Twitter saying that the actor playing Dandelion couldn't sing and I'm not sure if maybe I just can't properly appraise quality anymore but I thought the dude was absolutely killing it in terms of vocal quality.

yeah he's doing great, if it's all voiceover they're doing a convincing job of it

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The reviews for this seem to be completely across the spectrum. Vox has a low review too but EW is just a flat 0 "this is total garbage" while most others are decent-good.

The audience seems to really like it, but like all franchise media its already existing fans in a large part.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

ThePagey posted:

eke out posted:

yeah he's doing great, if it's all voiceover they're doing a convincing job of it

The guy playing Dandelion/Jaskier is actually the lead singer in a band in real life and is definitely the one singing in the show

https://redanianintelligence.com/2019/07/07/joey-bateys-jaskier-has-recorded-songs-for-the-witcher/

Also

https://www.pulse.ng/lifestyle/mens-health/the-witcher-star-joey-batey-based-his-performance-as-jaskier-on-the-offices-michael/k66tlx4

:lol:

Tehran 1979 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 20, 2019

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

pentyne posted:

The reviews for this seem to be completely across the spectrum. Vox has a low review too but EW is just a flat 0 "this is total garbage" while most others are decent-good.

The audience seems to really like it, but like all franchise media its already existing fans in a large part.

Yeah I posted about that EW review earlier. They watched the first two episodes, then skipped to 5, watched some of that and gave it a 0 lol. And their review was nothing but them trying to make a bunch awful jokes. Vox guy actually watched it at least before giving a 3 and writing his own review about how GoT is better. He does manage to actually go into some detail on what he didn't like.

Aside from those, reviews seem to be around a 6-7 for most critics. Fans on twitter seem to love it. It's currently trending which is good I guess.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
how mad are the chuds about triss being played by a WoC

I also enjoy how the show makes Foltest into a fat gross dude instead of the more noble portrayal in Witcher 2. Lauren Hissch was clearly less sympathetic to the sisterfucker.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 20, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol i had no idea, this rules

turns out if you want a bard you should simply cast someone who already sings and plays the lute and is a handsome actor

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

1stGear posted:

how mad are the chuds about triss being played by a WoC

brb I'm gonna go read user reviews on metacritic and take a shot every time someone mentions slavic culture or wokeness

if i dont post again in 10 minutes assume im dead

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Did anyone else notice the weird loving editing in episode 1's the 2nd scene coverage shot where Geralt is riding back to Blaviken. It looks like they just took a horse cutout and moved it along in a few different edits. Super bizarre and I chalk it up to an oversight but lol

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

The metacritic rating is being tanked by a 0 from EW where the reviewers start by talking about geralts hair. Then one of the reviewers says he skips to episode 5 and that it would benefit from commercial breaks.

The EW one is weird because their biggest complaint seems to be they don't like fantasy shows. Oh and it having nudity.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Niwrad posted:

The EW one is weird because their biggest complaint seems to be they don't like fantasy shows. Oh and it having nudity.

i just looked at this and is it some high-level clickbait strategy

like, it must be, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Episode 2. I'm confused why did the sorceress teacher turn the other students into slugs, and have Yen push them in the pool?

Unless this is answered later