Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
So you'd be playing the ancient and corrupt family that is both degenerate but also inexplicably prosperous? Sounds like something right out of a Lovecraft novel alright. Like a game set in Innsmouth, but you're the fishmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

M.U.L.E. but horror.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Too Shy Guy posted:

Since we're spitballing, I once had an idea for a Stardew-like that took place in a dustbowl scenario, but there were demons of local myth you could make deals with to keep your farm prosperous. So instead of running around between plantings to give people gifts and get married, you'd be corrupting people and making sacrifices just to stay afloat. Or working extra hard to resist the temptations of evil.

Instead, an adaptation of the Promethean: The Created books where you play as the race of Prometheans that were created from the dust bowl and your purpose is to wander around and survive by trying to manage your Disquiet, Wasteland, Torment, Disfigurement, etc, all while trying to journey towards achieving the Great Work and becoming human or otherwise fail because unlike every other type of Promethean, you aren't even sure if there is a path you can take to reach the final goal or if you'll give up and become even more inhuman than you already were. All while dealing with visions from biblical angels guiding you on your pilgrimage and otherwise trying to fight off and destroy any of the faulty Pandorans that resulted from creation rites gone wrong.

Promethean: The Created posted:

Some scholars among the Prometheans remember two short-lived lineages. The Hollow
sprung up in the 1930s in North America’s Dust Bowl. They were defined by hunger, grief,
and restlessness, and had the power to manipulate the desires of others. The Faceless were
born shortly before the First World War and managed to outlive the war by a few years. They
could only be created from bodies slain by chemical weapons. They were caught between the
opposing forces of war and peace, driven by their bodies’ memories to abhor violence, but
possessing an undeniable capacity for it. Both of these Lineages died out when the world
moved on and the rituals that allowed them to create progeny stopped working.

The Hollow white wolf wikia page posted:

The Hollow are an Extempore Promethean Lineage. Creatures of drought and deprivation, they are possessed of a perpetual hunger that only the New Dawn can fulfill. They were given life by the elements of earth and air, and they suffer from excesses of melancholic and sanguine humours.

The Hollow could only be created, and reach the New Dawn, during the Dust Bowl of the 1930s American Midwest. After it ended, no new Hollow could be created, meaning that those Hollows who had not already created progeny could not complete their Pilgrimage. When the rains finally came, some Hollows were ready, finally becoming human, and some died, their Divine Fire snuffed out. Most of the survivors left the USA in the hope that they could complete their Pilgrimages elsewhere, in places as desolate and deprived as the Dust Bowl.

The Hollow creation rite requires the corpse of someone who died of deprivation, be it physical deprivation, such as hunger or thirst, or spiritual deprivation, like despair. The creator must then make the corpse even emptier than before in some way, then anoint its brow, hands, and chest with a handful of dust. Once that's done, the creator must place a spark of their Pyros into a drop of water and place it on the corpse's lips, awakening it as a Hollow.

The Hollow are defined by hunger, by their awareness of an emptiness within they need to fill, which drives them to seek security, comfort, and satisfaction, to become human. Some distract themselves from their true hunger with food, alcohol, drugs, and even sex, but only the Pilgrimage can really sate the hunger for any length of time.

In human form, a Hollow will bear some sign of their hunger - chapped lips, emaciated body, a too-intense gaze. When their disfigurements appear, they become inhumanly gaunt, their skin pale or ashy, their eyes so bloodshot they appear to glow red. Their flesh is dry and flaky, drawing back from their bones, sometimes even ripping so viewers can see through the gaps between their ribs. However, they rarely smell in Promethean form, as their bodies are too desiccated.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Drunken Baker posted:

I wonder if you could make a comfy Stardew Valley/Harvest Moon game but you're tending to a farm in a word where eldrich abominations have taken over.

Pop down to the refugee camp and talk with the survivors who are getting by after they've invited the darkness into their hearts. Tend to your crops which are all horrible mutated living carrots that whisper in an alien tongue. Go down into the mines, which is just multiple layers of some fiend's stomach.

Comfy, chill and utterly revolting.

Basically the video game version of John Langan's "The Shallows"?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Skyscraper posted:

Basically the video game version of John Langan's "The Shallows"?

Abso-loving-lutely!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

How do folks feel about the Call of Cthulhu game? It's $12 on the winter PSN sale (and probably for other systems too), not too bad a price to try it out at.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Could be better, but if you like the mythos and adventure games generally, I’d say it’s worth $12.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Captain Hygiene posted:

How do folks feel about the Call of Cthulhu game? It's $12 on the winter PSN sale (and probably for other systems too), not too bad a price to try it out at.

It's like the single least original thing you could do with the mythos but if that doesn't bother you it's probably worth 12 bucks

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Haha, that range of mediocre to decent reviews is kinda what I expected. I'll give it a shot for that price.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
For some reason I assumed you were all talking about Dark Corners of The Earth.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Zushio posted:

For some reason I assumed you were all talking about Dark Corners of The Earth.

Fortunately not, I don't think 2005 technology could've handled this many fish guts.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’d say it’s certainly worth 12 bucks

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
God, the early previews of that game looks so good. They outright say it's short, but then they talk about all the RPG mechanics and how you can modify your character and I thought it'd be like Alpha Protocol. A small, tight playthrough that you could run multiple times and see something new each time.

Pffft. No loving chance.

Still waiting for the Sinking City to get a little cheaper. That sounds like a 15 quid game as well.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Drunken Baker posted:

Abso-loving-lutely!

I'd totally play that! Also I miss Alpha Protocol.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

oldpainless posted:

I’d say it’s certainly worth 12 bucks
I watched someone play through the entirety of it and I think it's categorically worse than Sinking City, so for anyone interested in something Lovecraft-flavoured, I strongly suggest getting that instead.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

I watched someone play through the entirety of it and I think it's categorically worse than Sinking City, so for anyone interested in something Lovecraft-flavoured, I strongly suggest getting that instead.

I don't think I was consciously aware of what that one is, definitely adding it to my list if I can get it a bit cheaper. My research on Call of Cthulhu basically went as far as looking at the winter sale games and thinking "ooh, neat".

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I haven't played Sinking City but Call of Cthulhu was a huge disappointment, terrible writing and tedious gameplay the whole way through. I felt Conarium was way better for strolling through a Lovecraft story, and Stygian was just a great RPG experience overall.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't think I was consciously aware of what that one is, definitely adding it to my list if I can get it a bit cheaper. My research on Call of Cthulhu basically went as far as looking at the winter sale games and thinking "ooh, neat".
It's basically everything that Call of Cthulhu also tries to be, but bigger, more open, and a little bit jankier. It has a lot of charm and it's actually a decent length. Full of fairly colorful characters that were interesting to get to know. It's a cautious recommendation, but a definite one.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Too Shy Guy posted:

I felt Conarium was way better for strolling through a Lovecraft story
Is it by the Darkness Within people?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

Is it by the Darkness Within people?

It is, yeah, though I've never played those games so I can't speak to any similarities.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I have a vague memory of someone recommending me that one but lost track of it because of the obtuse name. Mountains of Madness is basically what I like about Lovecraftian stuff and it is only another 5 bucks.....

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Too Shy Guy posted:

It is, yeah, though I've never played those games so I can't speak to any similarities.
Imagine the key mechanic in your horror game were reading other people's letters with a red pencil to underline the important bits.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I have a vague memory of someone recommending me that one but lost track of it because of the obtuse name. Mountains of Madness is basically what I like about Lovecraftian stuff and it is only another 5 bucks.....
It's more about the madness than about the mountains, for lack of a better way to describe it. I couldn't really get into it, personally.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I don't know who to believe!!! :sweatdrop:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, as far as I remember it, it is mostly an indoor-type puzzle game that focuses around a group of "cats of Ulthar" type dreamworld explorers and the weird poo poo that did to them. If you want the Mountains of Madness arctic exploration experience, it is not what you want. If you are fine with what I describing, then five dollars is certainly worth it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh yeah, that helps. And I'm not really tied to wanting anything in particular, I saw that book mentioned and it's just the one that best captures the creepy mood I like. I'll give this game a shot too, why not.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Game called Kalaban on the Humble Jingle Jam bundle.

It's not that good, unfortunately, despite some decent concept art. Don't really even have much to say about it. It's a topdown action survival game, I guess? You're in Finland which is decent ground, but of course you're Joe American and the only thing I've found Finnish is like three saunas, and the (buggy) description text is something like 'this is how I know I'm in Finland.' Enemies are standard werewolf guy and a spit lamia, and the combat is swing an axe badly. The protagonist isn't taking things particularly seriously and everything is just boring.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 21, 2019

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Kalaban is also insanely buggy, I gave it a few good tries but some of the maps are 100% crashes if I try to leave them in any way. And yeah, it's not really good enough to even try working around.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Any of you picking up Visage in this sale?

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Since Capcom is killing it with their new Resident Evil engine, they should buy the rights to Dead Space and make those too

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Hilario Baldness posted:

Since Capcom is killing it with their new Resident Evil engine, they should buy the rights to Dead Space and make those too

You’ve seen woman poured into futuristic pantsuit; now marvel at underaged bikini goth ship captain.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

mysterious frankie posted:

You’ve seen woman poured into futuristic pantsuit; now marvel at underaged bikini goth ship captain.

Umm, what the gently caress?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Hel posted:

Umm, what the gently caress?

You played Dead Space. Or any Japanese game that depicts women, chief? If so you may have minimal insight into this fairly innocuous joke.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010
Those dastardly japanese videogames

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case
The epic "that japan sure is all pedophiles am i right" meme

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

K. Hell, K’s all around.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Excluding the notorious Jill Apocahooker Outfit for RE3, Capcom has a fairly good history of designing reasonable female characters.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Capcom really doesn't but the dead space thing was definitely a... weird fuckin take.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Uh, speaking of Sinking City, it’s on sale on PSN! I’ve been generally interested in it for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Hilario Baldness posted:

Capcom already has their Dead Space, it's called Dino Crisis 3.

That said, you're certainly not wrong.

Cardiovorax posted:

Excluding the notorious Jill Apocahooker Outfit for RE3, Capcom has a fairly good history of designing reasonable female characters.

Is this where people post pictures of Jessica Sherawat?