Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

How big are the hunks of thigh you're trying to cook?

Hot and fast in a wok only works when you cut your poo poo super thin.

Edit: for big hunks or whole thighs, a hard sear and low and slow until tender is prob the easiest way to get it done. I'll usually aim for over 165F for thighs. They have enough fat and connective tissue to keep things tasty to a much higher temperature.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Steve Yun posted:

I have new garden space. I am keeping the tree because it gets hot here and I need shade. There’s only a corner that gets full sun and I’m probably going to grow tomatoes there. What grows well in the shade?

Greens like lettuces will do OK. Same for green onions, cilantro, some other herbs.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Bluedeanie posted:

I presume you are cooking with skin on and that's what is getting rubbery on you. How are you seasoning them before wok frying?

Skin off, sadly. And I usually season with salt and pepper and then toss spices in closer to when they're finished.

BraveUlysses posted:

are you sure you cooked them through enough? chicken thighs at undercooked temps are really unappealing. if you overcook them they will be fibrous and dry, not rubbery.

Unappealing sounds about right. Undercooked doesn't necessarily mean dangerous, right? Mine were cooked through, but I did sort of rush through it and just whacked it with heat thinking that'd make up for the quick cooking time. They weren't fibrous and dry at all. Still juicy, just sort of unpleasant mouth feel.

Casu Marzu posted:

How big are the hunks of thigh you're trying to cook?

Hot and fast in a wok only works when you cut your poo poo super thin.

Edit: for big hunks or whole thighs, a hard sear and low and slow until tender is prob the easiest way to get it done. I'll usually aim for over 165F for thighs. They have enough fat and connective tissue to keep things tasty to a much higher temperature.

They were chunky enough to not seize up in the pan and turn into tiny bits of chicken. I'd cut a thigh into four equal strips. Shouldn't have left cooking til the last minute and given them the love they deserved instead of rushing through it just to eat.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I eat a lot of thighs, best way to is to bake/roast them. Lately I've been using the slow cooker, 3 hours on low for one layer of thighs is just about perfect. Pull the skin off, rub with seasonings, add a little liquid, boom done.

Otherwise I use a dutch oven or lidded casserole dish.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I eat a lot of thighs, best way to is to bake/roast them. Lately I've been using the slow cooker, 3 hours on low for one layer of thighs is just about perfect. Pull the skin off, rub with seasonings, add a little liquid, boom done.

Otherwise I use a dutch oven or lidded casserole dish.

Braise is the best for thighs. I do one where it's thighs, onions, potatoes, thyme, a WHOLE LOT of paprika, and some chicken stock in the bottom, cooked until everything is nice and soft. Serve with sour cream.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I use thighs when I make fajitas, I just slice them up and fry them on a high heat with a load of spices.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

That Works posted:

Greens like lettuces will do OK. Same for green onions, cilantro, some other herbs.
Alliums in general do well in shade---so onions, garlic, shallots, chives, leeks, whatever.

And while lettuces and cabbages do want shade, the so do pro-tier greens like gai lan and yu choy. Although it looks like that soil needs some tilling before I'd try to sow greens in it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So buy a bag of manure and toss the dirt a little?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Depends on what condition your soil is currently in. It looks pretty compacted in that photo. If you can't easily poke it with your finger then you're going to want to get a spade, mattock, or whatever and loosen it up and work your soil amendment(s) in.

When I had to improve the soil in a patch of ground like that--it had been ornamental shrubs along the fenceline--I just took a couple years planting pioneer crops and then just tilling them in. poo poo like winter wheat and ryegrass are traditional for that kind of thing, but I threw in some sweet potatoes (which will break up the soil pretty well but produce low yields while they're doing it) and winter beans (specifically favas) that grow like weeds and help fix nitrogen.

I also ended up just dedicating a bunch of the space to a couple large perennials that don't give a poo poo about soil quality--a Sichuan peppercorn tree, blackberries, a fig tree, rosemary, and so on.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

So I have a killer craving for some halal-style chicken over rice with white sauce, and no places around here that do that kinda thing. Taking matters into my own hands, I now have rice, chicken, and spices, but no decent recipe for a white sauce. I know there's a recipe over at Serious Eats, but looking at the comments people were saying it's way too mayonnaise-heavy, and that's not my jam, so I was wondering if any of y'all happen to have a decent recipe for some homemade white sauce. Thanks in advance.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think I’ll just make a gardening thread

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

I think I’ll just make a gardening thread

You're in luck, there's one already

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

So, SubG is right, as usual, but my first thought was: Soil? What soil? He's going to have to buy some soil. If nothing else you want to raise the bed up a little for better drainage.

And yes, veggies love some good aged manure. So yeah, 3-4 bags of topsoil/loam, and a bag of poo poo.

But DON'T just dump it there, to SubG's point, you want to break up the existing dirt completely before mixing in the new stuff (I wouldn't have the patience for a few years, of pioneer crops, though). It's a small enough space that you don't need to rent a tiller, just turn it over with a shovel like 6-8 times, dump in the new stuff, and turn it over another 5-6 times. There is a technique where you make overlapping piles, it's actually pretty efficient.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Aniodia posted:

So I have a killer craving for some halal-style chicken over rice with white sauce, and no places around here that do that kinda thing. Taking matters into my own hands, I now have rice, chicken, and spices, but no decent recipe for a white sauce. I know there's a recipe over at Serious Eats, but looking at the comments people were saying it's way too mayonnaise-heavy, and that's not my jam, so I was wondering if any of y'all happen to have a decent recipe for some homemade white sauce. Thanks in advance.

kenjis recipe is good except for the white sauce.

I haven't made it yet but I dug through the comments on Reddit about this recipe and this was suggested

https://www.thrillist.com/recipe/new-york/halal-white-sauce-thrillist-recipes

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

BraveUlysses posted:

kenjis recipe is good except for the white sauce.

I haven't made it yet but I dug through the comments on Reddit about this recipe and this was suggested

https://www.thrillist.com/recipe/new-york/halal-white-sauce-thrillist-recipes

Yeah, that's the recipe I was talking about. I'll look into the Thrillist's sauce, though I don't think I have anywhere closer that does bulk xanthan gum and I'm not keen on buying a huge bag it is not gonna work out. Thanks for the tip, though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
any suggestions for what i could do with some puy lentils? i've made the serious eats pressure cooker with chicken one a few times but i feel like i need to try something else.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

BraveUlysses posted:

any suggestions for what i could do with some puy lentils? i've made the serious eats pressure cooker with chicken one a few times but i feel like i need to try something else.

I love lentils with a cured pork product- bacon or sausage, in a perfect world homemade. Petit salé aux lentilles is the classic French dish- really just boiled bacon with a super simple lentil stew.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

What vegetables belong in tom kha?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

I make this a lot during winter. It’s nice comfort food.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/apr/28/nigel-slater-lentils-sausages-rocket-and-pecorino-recipe

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My mother is coming to visit on Sunday, and on a whim I swapped the chicken I had in my shopping trolley for a duck.

I want to roast it and have it with the usual winter vegetables, but has anyone got any protips for how to get the best out of it?

I don’t have a sous vide.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

I've used lentils in a vegan sloppy Joe type of thing.
It's kinda trashy but with the sauce(make from scratch no manwich) it passes for ground beef quite well.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I bought some tamarind paste to make pad Thai.

It’s in a plastic jar and isn’t a paste so much as a liquid.

Anyways-do I refrigerate after opening? It doesn’t say anywhere on the jar...unless it’s written in Thai somewhere...

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

Anyways-do I refrigerate after opening? It doesn’t say anywhere on the jar...unless it’s written in Thai somewhere...

Yeah, pop that in the fridge. I'm not sure it's sugar content, but being refrigerated won't hurt it, and it'll stop potential spoilage.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Is there a way to replicate the slightly-singed grilled corn experience without a grill? I only have an electric stove/rangetop (and a butane torch I guess). It's not essential for the salad I'm making for tomorrow but it would be a nice extra punch.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

electric broiler? Radiant heat is needed, probably miserable with the torch. You may just be able to stovetop it though, i dunno, i hate corn.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

A chimney charcoal starter works great for that if you happen to have one. You can do it on an electric stove if you put something on top like a big pan and let it get real hot and rotate the corn often.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

nwin posted:

Did you stir it up? Sometimes it separates a little bit.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Human Tornada posted:

Did you stir it up? Sometimes it separates a little bit.

...no

It will probably taste more tamarindy next time, I’m guessing.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I think I already know the answer to this but I've had some cut up pork belly in my fridge for like 10 days now. Life happened and I just couldn't get to it. Is there any chance it's still useable?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Depends on how cold and dry it's been. Smell and inspect it. If it doesn't smell offensive or look suspiciously slimy then cook it. If you're not sure, probably just toss it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

nwin posted:

It will probably taste more tamarindy next time, I’m guessing.

Lol

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I can't seem to google my way to a straight answer here....if a recipe calls for 20oz of canned clams, what's the fresh clam equivalent?

Is it worth it? My parents make a clam chowder every Christmas eve, but they live in the middle o' nowhere, and I actually have a source to get fresh ones this time around.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

This is the best place I can think to put this - does anyone have a link to (or know where I can find) the old SA screed about a goon and his wife who only ate raw meat? Mostly what I remember is the line "tldr: raw meat is the poo poo", and googling isn't getting me anywhere.

Ta!

Got it!

lofi fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 20, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Happiness Commando posted:

What vegetables belong in tom kha?

Mushrooms are all I use, it's pretty simple as a soup. Coconut milk, water, galangal if you can get it, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, straw mushrooms, chicken, fish sauce, chilis (fresh is great, paste is fine). Cilantro if you like it, bit of palm or brown sugar if it's not sweet enough to taste.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

lofi posted:

This is the best place I can think to put this - does anyone have a link to (or know where I can find) the old SA screed about a goon and his wife who only ate raw meat? Mostly what I remember is the line "tldr: raw meat is the poo poo", and googling isn't getting me anywhere.

Ta!

Got it!

:stonk::wtc::psyduck::suspense:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

You are welcome.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I feel like a dumbass but I bought a bottle of sherry for a recipe earlier this week. How the hell do I open it? I keep twisting and twisting but nothing happens. I'm a big babby who doesn't drink so apologies for how stupid this sounds.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nckdictator posted:

I feel like a dumbass but I bought a bottle of sherry for a recipe earlier this week. How the hell do I open it? I keep twisting and twisting but nothing happens. I'm a big babby who doesn't drink so apologies for how stupid this sounds.

That looks like a screwtop, so you should just be able to twist it off.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

It can happen sometimes with screwtops.
There should be a ring on the bottom of the cap that is perforated and detachable. It's supposed to break loose as you twist allowing you to open it (sorry if this sounds patronising and it's info you already know) and it seems like that's not happening. See if you can pull that ring away from the top another way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
If that's the actual bottle (or its twin), t looks like the cap may have that maddening tough shrinkwrap stuff over it, which may be slipping so that the cap never turns. See if you can score it vertically with a craft knife or boxcutter. If it scores, then that's what it is and you can peel it off and then grip the actual top.