Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Mr. Steak posted:

maybe i'll translate it for you guys but right now im too lazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
NEET as a disparaging term is more about the attitude imo, what Tohru displayed at the very beginning of the comic is the part people look down on. If you're between jobs then yes technically you are a NEET, but it's more about the attitude of choosing not to work and coasting on the goodwill of others when you are able-bodied and properly educated, just unwilling. There are many valid reasons not to have a job be it in Japan or more westward countries, but "I don't want to" is not really one of them.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i looked at the section for what you call a neet who's 35 and older, and apparently there's an official answer.

it's important to note that the japanese government recognizes neets as a class of people distinct from unemployed people. the age range isn't just a cultural thing, it's a formal decision by the government of how to classify people. (another interesting tidbit is that there have been slight discrepancies between government orgs' definitions of neet, some have said that they can be as old as 39.)

so, the japanese government classifies people in the range of 35-44 who'd otherwise be neets, as merely "middle-aged unemployed people", but since "young unemployed person" essentially has the same meaning as neet, it seems japanese people commonly call these people "middle-aged neets" anyway.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CJacobs posted:

NEET as a disparaging term is more about the attitude imo, what Tohru displayed at the very beginning of the comic is the part people look down on. If you're between jobs then yes technically you are a NEET, but it's more about the attitude of choosing not to work and coasting on the goodwill of others when you are able-bodied and properly educated, just unwilling. There are many valid reasons not to have a job be it in Japan or more westward countries, but "I don't want to" is not really one of them.

you're absolutely right. the article writes that the government's definition of neet includes "no intention to work" and also that they don't do any housework on top of anything else.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

So is it just a long-winded way to keep unemployment figures down by saying they're something else?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

lofi posted:

So is it just a long-winded way to keep unemployment figures down by saying they're something else?

I feel like it's a weird expression of Japanese utilitarianism, adding demographics to employment status. And also it draws a weird sort of comparison to the Punk movements in western countries. Being a NEET is being a young rebellious person who refuses to accept that his greatest worth is his worth to society and seeks pure hedonism.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Mr. Steak posted:

you're absolutely right. the article writes that the government's definition of neet includes "no intention to work" and also that they don't do any housework on top of anything else.

Official legal definition: does no work, not even housework

Love it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mithross posted:

I feel like it's a weird expression of Japanese utilitarianism, adding demographics to employment status. And also it draws a weird sort of comparison to the Punk movements in western countries. Being a NEET is being a young rebellious person who refuses to accept that his greatest worth is his worth to society and seeks pure hedonism.

Not quite. If you're expecting other members of society to provide for you without offering anything in return (edit: important to note that in doing so they are sacrificing security in providing for themselves), you shouldn't be surprised when those people look down on you. That's not Japan, that's anywhere in the world. The only reason Tohru was able to live the life he had is because his parents were buying him food, presumably games, enabling the hedonism in the first place. There's nothing rebellious about it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Dec 18, 2019

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
I keep thinking this over - what WOULD get this guy to change? Shame, guilt, fear, all the normal things don't get him outside. What would?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Do you just mean the shut-in aspect, or the not-working? Two different problems. Our NEET is relatively functional, he can still do outside!

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Not quite. If you're expecting other members of society to provide for you without offering anything in return (edit: important to note that in doing so they are sacrificing security in providing for themselves), you shouldn't be surprised when those people look down on you. That's not Japan, that's anywhere in the world. The only reason Tohru was able to live the life he had is because his parents were buying him food, presumably games, enabling the hedonism in the first place. There's nothing rebellious about it.

He's drawing the comparison in that it's a complete withdrawal/180 from the traditional Japanese social ideal (as far as the comparison to punk or other counterculture)

Being 'looked down upon' is validation in counterculture. I don't know if it tracks completely since I'm not Japanese but I can see it

Victis fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 18, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Oh, yeah, Japanese Culture 101 chat is much funnier then ripping on demented goons.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

lofi posted:

I might be wrong about this, but I’m pretty sure US unemployment statistics are the same way in that they don’t include people who have either given up on finding work or just don’t want to.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

wizardofloneliness posted:

I might be wrong about this, but I’m pretty sure US unemployment statistics are the same way in that they don’t include people who have either given up on finding work or just don’t want to.

Thats tracked, just not in the most often quoted number. I believe U6 includes discouraged workers that are not retired. Every unemployment report also reports the workforce participation rate, which accounts for things like retirees.

Its a common talking point that people like to bring up to talk about how the stats are manipulated, but its wrong.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Be sure to regularly check your home for NEET infestations

https://twitter.com/rokubunnnoichi/status/1207276256946900999

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

BattleMaster posted:

Be sure to regularly check your home for NEET infestations

:3:

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

lofi fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 19, 2019

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Some people have asked "Why is NEET?"

I ask, "Where is NEET?"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A neet chooses, a salaryman obeys

Natrox
Dec 2, 2013

Thank u Mr. Steak

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

where's my panel every day

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

RBA Starblade posted:

A neet chooses, a salaryman obeys

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Kimchi Surplus
Dec 4, 2007

Daddy's out of bourbon...

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Natrox posted:

Thank u Mr. Steak

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I just caught up with this thread after seeing a banner ad; and I have to say it's the most interesting and weirdly dynamic webcomics I've read.

I know that's weird to say this slow-rear end comic is dynamic; but the poses and composition is a ton more interesting than a lot of the best comic's I've read. Plus the whole panel-by-panel fake outs and twists actually makes the story engaging despite how nothing really happens for a lot of the plot.

I appreciate the effort you've been making Mr. Steak, and I hope that you receive a lot of free energy drinks in exchange for the valuable work you've done.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Gonna get some real mileage out of this panel.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Except when it comes to pineapple on pizza. :colbert:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Haifisch posted:

this is amazing

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Haifisch posted:

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Hey Mr Steak, I'm going to thank you again for recommending Space Brothers again here (because it is awesome) and now curse you out for getting me hooked. The website I was reading it on runs out at volume 16 and hasn't updated in two years, because of you I am considering buying manga for the first time since I was a teenager. Right now I'm weighing up the options of either a kindle unlimited subscription or hard copies.

This is your fault. You did this to me.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Crunchyroll’s manga service carries Space Brothers and is up to date. Not sure if you need a subscription to read but they have a free trial.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I just read the first page and now this page. Everyone on the first page is demanding that the thread be gassed. Now people are talking about Japan or something. Did I miss anything?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
You missed everything. :neet:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

I just read the first page and now this page. Everyone on the first page is demanding that the thread be gassed. Now people are talking about Japan or something. Did I miss anything?

Boy are you in for a wild ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thesaurus posted:

soneone give this man a 6er so he can focus on reading neet instead of shitposting