Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

HampHamp posted:

The more i play it, the more I think Spirit Island is my favourite ever cooperative board game. It just seems to tie everything together, the mechanics, the theming, the feeling of powerlessness slowly morphing into feeling unstoppable, the replayability, everything. Can't wait for Jagged Earth.

It certainly is mine. Superb game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I have my copy of On Mars (helps that i live in Chicago where they shipped all the US orders to first), but i have not yet taken it out of the shrink wrap. Hoping i can get in a game within the next week or so after i try the solo rules to get it down.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Oh no, and here we were going to play Treasure Island TONIGHT! It looks like such an awesome game, too!

Good news it's fun and good, plays in under an hour. Skip the bit where LJS puts tokens in the chest and just hand people tokens. The one thing that let's Treasure Island down is the pens showing up on the map easily.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Boxman posted:

Yes.

Reminder that for every copy of [insert thread approved game here] sitting on someone's shelf there are a skajillion copies of Exploding Kittens

Is this supposed to be a defense? We're talking about what makes a good social deduction game.

Seconding Blue Lagoon for kids. So simple as long as you do the scoring math, but they'll quickly catch on to different strategies because they're so basic (make long chains, touch lots of islands, grab sets of meeples). The only action in the game being literally "lay a single tile" makes it very approachable.

Quest for El Dorado would probably work as well if the kids have experience with games. Little more complex with the different cards/movement/tiles but still pretty simple and I've played with an 8 year old.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 20, 2019

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Probably no one will care about this (okay maybe one or two others will) but there's a fascinating and well done project related to Magic Realm: Magic Realm Light 30 (a print and play that has no cutting out of cards or tokens & can be played with a pencil and eraser.)

It's a print and play solo game that distills Magic Realm into a "light" version that can be played in about 30 minutes. Its scope is less deep than the original game (naturally; for example the setup card concept is ditched entirely) but the core & fundamental mechanics are remarkably intact and the documentation is good! There's even some pretty clever little design bits. If you're curious about Magic Realm then give the rules a read - they're not too long, downright brief compared to anything else in MR - and you'll get a glimpse into what it's all about.

(It's old school fantasy gaming, be warned. Random numbers, table lookups, and pretty much any monster is capable of putting you into the ground. But it's all on one page!)

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 20, 2019

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

HampHamp posted:

The more i play it, the more I think Spirit Island is my favourite ever cooperative board game. It just seems to tie everything together, the mechanics, the theming, the feeling of powerlessness slowly morphing into feeling unstoppable, the replayability, everything. Can't wait for Jagged Earth.

Also wanted to thank this thread for some amazing recommendations. Got Gaia Project, Feast for Odin, Food Chain Magnate, Tiny Towns, and Tash-Kalar, all from hearing your thoughts on them. Every one has been fantastic. Trying to stop buying more games until we've got more plays on the ones we have (well I'll be getting the Norwegians but that's different).

It's definitely my favorite single-session co-op game. I've found Gloomhaven to be better as a co-op though, because of the emphasis on cooperation..

I've played a lot of Spirit Island (at a range of difficulties) and while the game is fantastic, you sometimes don't have to be too aware of what other spirits are doing to succeed, other than the global game state (blight/fear/etc.) and "I'll get this land if you get this land". Sometimes it can feel like multiplayer solitaire (not necessarily a bad thing, running a single spirit is complicated enough as it is.)

On the flipside, Gloomhaven asks you to be highly aware of what your teammates are doing, greatly rewarding coordination while still leaving plenty of room for individual agency and protecting against quarterbacking via hidden choices.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Bottom Liner posted:

Is this supposed to be a defense? We're talking about what makes a good social deduction game.

Well, a defense of the design from an audience finding perspective, at least.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Popular games can’t be good is certainly a position you could take I guess? Randomness in social deduction makes games more popular for the lowest common denominator audience? I don’t get your point.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
What's the word on Maracaibo? Also, did we ever get confirmation on how good Crystal Palace is with 2p?

They're both in stock now and look interesting. Just need Cooper Island to show up and I think that'll last me for a bit.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

FulsomFrank posted:

What's the word on Maracaibo? Also, did we ever get confirmation on how good Crystal Palace is with 2p?

They're both in stock now and look interesting. Just need Cooper Island to show up and I think that'll last me for a bit.

Maracaibo is pretty good but I need to play more of it.

Last 2 player game of Crystal Palace was lots If fun, pretty close in points and the blocking works very well. Set your dice wisely.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there an interesting way to add an extra round to Gaia Project without having things snowball out of control? I have a blast with it, but it ends right when things are getting amazing. It's not something I'd want to do all the time, but indulging once in a blue moon with an extra long game where you can colonize most of the galaxy would be fun, whilst still keeping it competitive. I've only ever played it 2-player. I imagine in 3 or 4 player games, much more of the galaxy gets colonized.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Qubee posted:

Is there an interesting way to add an extra round to Gaia Project without having things snowball out of control? I have a blast with it, but it ends right when things are getting amazing. It's not something I'd want to do all the time, but indulging once in a blue moon with an extra long game where you can colonize most of the galaxy would be fun, whilst still keeping it competitive. I've only ever played it 2-player. I imagine in 3 or 4 player games, much more of the galaxy gets colonized.

Yeah, with more variety in home planet type, I've seen larger player counts mean more populated galaxies for sure. An extra turn sounds interesting to try for 2P but will probably break the balance a bit.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Bottom Liner posted:

Popular games can’t be good is certainly a position you could take I guess? Randomness in social deduction makes games more popular for the lowest common denominator audience? I don’t get your point.

Yeah sorry I lost track of the conversation completely at some point in there, haha

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Popular games might possibly be good, but they never are.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
There are lots of popular good games. Chess, Go, Spades, Bridge...

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Chess is great until you get to high level play and then its a memorization game.

Go is Good though and so is Spades and Bridge

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Go has memorization as well at a high enough level of play. But both Go and Chess are still good games.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I mean if abstracts are someone's jam, I'd recommend Shogi over Chess by a wide margin. Go is a totally different style of abstract, but Shogi takes what makes Chess different from Go (interconnected relationships of pieces with different powers) and turbocharges it by reducing both stalemates and simplified endgame states.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Corbeau posted:

I mean if abstracts are someone's jam, I'd recommend Shogi over Chess by a wide margin. Go is a totally different style of abstract, but Shogi takes what makes Chess different from Go (interconnected relationships of pieces with different powers) and turbocharges it by reducing both stalemates and simplified endgame states.

I'm also a shogi favorer.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Impermanent posted:

Chess is great until you get to high level play and then its a memorization game.

Go is Good though and so is Spades and Bridge

Fischer Random is very good and largely solves the memorization issue.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

quote:

—Tleilaxu: Led by a small council of Tleilaxu Masters, the fanatic, xenophobic Tleilaxu were tolerated because of their useful genetic engineering superiority. Although underestimated and loathed by others, they hoped to someday dominate all.

—Ixian: The cyborg, Prince Rhombur of House Vernius, leads the Ixians, masters of manufacturing and technologies only they know how to deploy.

Each house brings new game mechanisms to help you gain advantages over your rivals.

Didn't expect an expansion. Has this been covered here? The base game seems well-liked enough.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Anyone try Nemesis yet? Any thoughts?

I like it. The solo and co-op are decent, but the game really shines at 5 in a semi-cooperative environment. One of the better "Hey check out these minis" kind of games for sure.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I found Nemesis aggressively mediocre. It's basically a fixed version of Dead of Winter, which demonstrated that there was nothing fundamentally worth bothering with in DoW.

Just play BSG

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

The one time I was able to play it, we mostly agreed that we liked it better as a co-op without betrayal. Going to play it again tomorrow potentially.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Meltwater is fun, but depressing. I won our first game as the U.S.A, guaranteeing that the last humans to die of starvation / radiation poisoning would be red blooded freedom lovers.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

tokenbrownguy posted:

Meltwater is fun, but depressing. I won our first game as the U.S.A, guaranteeing that the last humans to die of starvation / radiation poisoning would be red blooded freedom lovers.

The endgame reminds me of nothing more than the closing scene of The Thing

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

djfooboo posted:

Didn't expect an expansion. Has this been covered here? The base game seems well-liked enough.

Is it just me or do those icons seem swapped?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Got a barely used version of blood rage for $17 today from a lgs because a few base pieces were missing that I can totally mock up with a 3d printer. I almost felt dirty as the lady wished me a merry Xmas.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I’m seeking recommendations for a game to play with my 10 year old daughter. She loves roll and move games like Monopoly and Game of Life and it’s killing me.

Thoughts?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Camel Up. The dice rolling and camel stacking is great. :v

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Excellent! Thanks

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Deep sea adventure, formula D, and thunder alley are other good ones.

If you wanted negotiation and reliably had more players, the correct answer would be John Company :getin:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Camel Up may cause an unhealthy interest in betting on camel races though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Synthbuttrange posted:

Camel Up may cause an unhealthy interest in betting on camel races though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Synthbuttrange posted:

It's not really a two-player game, though.

My go-tos for 10+ are the HABA family games range: Karuba, Adventureland, Iquazu, Honga and Miyabi. I don't like the first myself but it's ideal for kids, I'm still to play my copy of the second, but the other three are all really good.

Got to give Tiny Epic Tactics a run-out yesterday. As the name suggests, it's pretty tactical. I'm not sure how long it will hold my attention, but it's enjoyable enough.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Beffer posted:

I’m seeking recommendations for a game to play with my 10 year old daughter. She loves roll and move games like Monopoly and Game of Life and it’s killing me.

Thoughts?

Survive! Escape from Atlantis is a good choice. Murder each other, move sea monsters around, and it's baby's first action point game.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Synthbuttrange posted:

Camel Cup may cause an unhealthy interest in betting on camel races though.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Beffer posted:

Thoughts?

Magic Labyrinth (bonus: 10 year olds are probably better at this game than adults)
King of Tokyo/New York is arguably a roll and move, and works well at that age group

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Synthbuttrange posted:

Amel Cup may cause an unhealthy interest in collecting amel cups though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Corbeau posted:

Santorini is a great abstract too, with the ability to easy make turn it into a thematic game with the god powers. And it's dirt loving cheap.