Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Whew, finally got DQ11S. Anything I should hold off on doing until later in the game? I've already beaten it on PS4 but I have no idea about any of the new stuff aside from the costume changes, fast forward, 2D mode and people moving and talking in the rotating camera battle mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Nope. You'll get some side quests fairly early on involving the worlds of previous games that you won't be able to complete until later on, but you can still complete a lot of them and they give decent rewards for when you get them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Ninth Layer posted:

Nope. You'll get some side quests fairly early on involving the worlds of previous games that you won't be able to complete until later on, but you can still complete a lot of them and they give decent rewards for when you get them.

When's a good time to make an attempt because if you leave me to my own devices I won't even try until after Dundrasil.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The story beats were different but man, that entire "Wander around, find six McGuffins" questline was just straight up III again.

Not that I'm complaining. DQ has been "Hey, remember those previous games?" since the second one, and this one has really been Remember All The Rest?: The Game, in a good way.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

OhFunny posted:

I'm at 50hrs into Dragon Quest VII and can't tell how far I am from the end due to the game not having a strong central plot.

Gotta be closing in though right?

Right??

You're probably near the end of not being able to class change.

I love DQ7 but it's the RPG that made kid me realize "man I wish a FF or DQ game just went forever" was not actually something I wanted. I know the remake is "faster" but it's still long as hell.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The story beats were different but man, that entire "Wander around, find six McGuffins" questline was just straight up III again.

Not that I'm complaining. DQ has been "Hey, remember those previous games?" since the second one, and this one has really been Remember All The Rest?: The Game, in a good way.

I really hope the next DQM is as fun as DQXI has been.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
oh my gosh, that post-credits scene at Puerto Valor is too precious

i know people say that the post-game isn't really post-game and instead the third part of the story, but having read some people talk about Act 3 i honestly think i'm pretty satisfied leaving the game off here. maybe i'll go watch the true ending or whatever on youtube or something at some point but after 70 hours that was a fun adventure that left me feeling emotional as the credits rolled and i'm happy to leave it there with that experience

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

I really hope the next DQM is as fun as DQXI has been.

I just hope it gets a translation. I can kind of muddle my way through Japanese. But my grammar is much better than my vocab, and playing an RPG with one eye on a dictionary is not my idea of a good time. I've done it before, but I'd raaaaather not if I don't have to.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RareAcumen posted:

When's a good time to make an attempt because if you leave me to my own devices I won't even try until after Dundrasil.
The first ones you get you can do at the time (and should cause otherwise the monsters will be underleveled relative to you) - I think actually the right stopping point is when you get the first one that points you to another one you don't have yet.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Someone pointed out that DQ11 was planned to be the 30th anniversary game, which explains why there’s so many callbacks

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Box of Bunnies posted:

i know people say that the post-game isn't really post-game and instead the third part of the story, but having read some people talk about Act 3 i honestly think i'm pretty satisfied leaving the game off here. maybe i'll go watch the true ending or whatever on youtube or something at some point but after 70 hours that was a fun adventure that left me feeling emotional as the credits rolled and i'm happy to leave it there with that experience

Act 3 ruined everything in my opinion.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ran into my first real hurdle in DQ11 - how the gently caress do I deal with Booga? Party is around level 37, is there some recommended place to go grind open at this point?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

I mean its literally not post-game because it's definitely the rest of the story.

It'd be like finishing Nier Automata at the end of route B and missing out on the fact that next up is a ton more story because the game isn't over.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Eh, I'd argue that in the case of DQ11 choosing to not initiate act 3 is a viable conclusion to the story. The game does mention itself that it's up to you if you want to keep going, and they can't "but thou must" you away from turning the game off.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Avalerion posted:

Ran into my first real hurdle in DQ11 - how the gently caress do I deal with Booga? Party is around level 37, is there some recommended place to go grind open at this point?

Keep in mind that Buffs/Debuffs are super important in DQ11. So things that prevent him from beguiling your team helps. Sap and Oomphle help as well. I'd would probably still grind a few spots that have metal slimes/lms.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

History Comes Inside! posted:

I mean its literally not post-game because it's definitely the rest of the story.

It'd be like finishing Nier Automata at the end of route B and missing out on the fact that next up is a ton more story because the game isn't over.

Fair, I should have just said "I know it's the rest of the story but everything I've read about it feels like it would not enhance my experience with the game compared to what I feel is a satisfying conclusion here"

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

I mean one of the reasons I call it post-game rather than Act 3 is because I'm not really a fan of it storywise. And really it's not concluding anything, it's just answering the last few lore questions that were up in the air. And the answers to those questions only really matter to the post-game.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I wish they had just rolled Act 3's story into Act 2 more organically. I really lost all interest to continue in Act 3 when I started running into reused dungeon assets. But the story also started getting much looser once it hit the "get stronger and do some post-game content before you fight the final boss" section of the game.

I thought the premise of Act 3 was really cool and the early parts of it were very dramatic and interesting. But then it kind of settles into a status quo. I think the problem is that narratively, Act 3 should have the most dramatic tension and feeling of urgency, but because it's also the post-game, it has a very leisurely and optional feel to it.

Having Serena go through such good characterization in Act 2 only to have Act 3 erase the circumstances that led to her character development felt off kilter, too. Like it just immediately lowers the stakes and the bonds you have with the character.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Made it to the end goal of the McGuffin quest and...uh...that did not go as planned.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Cephas posted:

I wish they had just rolled Act 3's story into Act 2 more organically. I really lost all interest to continue in Act 3 when I started running into reused dungeon assets. But the story also started getting much looser once it hit the "get stronger and do some post-game content before you fight the final boss" section of the game.

I thought the premise of Act 3 was really cool and the early parts of it were very dramatic and interesting. But then it kind of settles into a status quo. I think the problem is that narratively, Act 3 should have the most dramatic tension and feeling of urgency, but because it's also the post-game, it has a very leisurely and optional feel to it.

Having Serena go through such good characterization in Act 2 only to have Act 3 erase the circumstances that led to her character development felt off kilter, too. Like it just immediately lowers the stakes and the bonds you have with the character.

Exact same thoughts here. In the end I just feel like it wasn't necessary at all and kind of ruined Act 2.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

I feel like how much you like act III depends on how much you care about the story of the original Luminary and the party.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I feel like how much you like act III depends on how much you care about the story of the original Luminary and the party.

I really liked this aspect. In the first couple acts, you think you know what happened to the trio. It's the archetypical RPG story. Pretty much Dragon Quest III. But then you find out that there's a lot more to it, and the consequences of the story are still being felt to this day.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I really liked this aspect. In the first couple acts, you think you know what happened to the trio. It's the archetypical RPG story. Pretty much Dragon Quest III. But then you find out that there's a lot more to it, and the consequences of the story are still being felt to this day.

Agreed, I think this a big reason why I liked act III quite a bit. The game does a really, really good job to making you think the story of Erdwin is literally just DQIII, and that you are playing the sequel to it and the original NES Trilogy. And then you find out what was the big evil they were really battling, and then it what happened there and what became of him and his party. And it's not until the very end that you find out, 11 is actually the Prequel to just about everything.

Actually, thinking about it, DQ11 does the whole "it's the archetypical RPG story, but with a twist" multiple times in the game, and it's done well to boot. You first think you go to Helidor to receive a Hero's Welcome, that doesn't happen. Same thing when you gather all the Orbs, or reunite with the last party members in act II, stuff like that.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

While Act 3 did completely ruin Serena, I did want to keep playing the game because I enjoyed playing the game, and for that reason I think Act 3 is a good thing. If you feel satisfied, then you don't need to continue obviously. But if you want to keep playing Dragon Quest XI and you're sad that it's over, Act 3 is there for you.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Them never showing how Veronica gets cursed or following up with the person who cursed her took a lot of restraint that I don't think other developers/storytellers would have had.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Nobody ever gets creepy about Veronica looking underage and it's a low loving bar but it's so rarely met.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Them never showing how Veronica gets cursed or following up with the person who cursed her took a lot of restraint that I don't think other developers/storytellers would have had.

Wasn't that an effect of Jarvis stealing Veronica's magic? Hence her surprise when taking her magic back didn't restore her form.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, IIRC it's explained at the end of the dungeon. What I was surprised by is that they never gave you the option to uncurse her, even in Act 3.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
who do i need to slide some money to to get a Mystery Dungeon: Erik & Mia's Lootapalooza made (and localised)?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Box of Bunnies posted:

who do i need to slide some money to to get a Mystery Dungeon: Erik & Mia's Lootapalooza made (and localised)?

Holy moly that makes more sense than the Erik and Mia DQMonsters they're making (and probably not localizing)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://gematsu.com/2019/12/dragon-quest-the-adventure-of-dai-new-game-project-and-anime-announced

Huh.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hopefully this isn't one of the DQ things Squenix decides people outside Japan won't be interested in.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Commander Keene posted:

Hopefully this isn't one of the DQ things Squenix decides people outside Japan won't be interested in.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Unless I'm mistaken, this is based on a comic that never came out in the west. It sounds exactly like one of the things they think we're not interested in.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I can't remember what thread it was in but there was some country where Dai was stupid popular and they were asking if Dai was in XI or something.

I know the anime aired in like, Spain and France at least

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

I can't remember what thread it was in but there was some country where Dai was stupid popular and they were asking if Dai was in XI or something.

I know the anime aired in like, Spain and France at least

Yup, I read this stuff years before knowing what Dragon Quest was.

Playing Dragon Quest 8 was a real mind gently caress when I realized where I knew all these monsters and skills from.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

RareAcumen posted:

So, basically, the way the new side quest stuff works is you'll meet the little ghost NPC's throughout the world as you go (you generally don't need to go too out of your way to find them), and in terms of difficulty you can basically do all of them as soon as you unlock them. Some of them will dead end on needing an item you won't get until later or to go to another one of the side quests to talk to an NPC that you don't have the password for yet, so you'll have some natural stopping point.

I basically went and did ticking ton stuff whenever I wanted to play for 15 minutes and not progress the story through cutscenes or a longer dungeon, and it was fine.

The only really notable reward I remember was I was able to get my hands on a Goddess Whip for Sylvando super super super early and he was hitting as hard as the hero but against all enemies for a while and generally just didn't need a new weapon for half the game it was great.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bought DQ11 on switch, because owning one copy that I haven't beaten wasn't enough apparently

What're the go-to weapons for the party? I remember DQ8 was... not well balanced in that regard

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Ciaphas posted:

Bought DQ11 on switch, because owning one copy that I haven't beaten wasn't enough apparently

What're the go-to weapons for the party? I remember DQ8 was... not well balanced in that regard

Unlike DQ8 you can respec at any church for a token fee once you are a few hours in, so try them all.

For what it's worth, IMO the only real bad options are not giving Serena and Veronica wands and staves respectively.

Edit: by 'a few hours in' I mean it is where the demo ends.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Act3 of DQ11 is like the 6th Stratum of an EO game (ok it's not nearly as bullshit as a 6th stratum). Sure you won your objective but there's something more there under the surface.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I just hope it gets a translation. I can kind of muddle my way through Japanese. But my grammar is much better than my vocab, and playing an RPG with one eye on a dictionary is not my idea of a good time. I've done it before, but I'd raaaaather not if I don't have to.

With how DQ11 is doing it'd be weird if they didn't. OTOH stuff like DQM Joker 3 never came out here so maybe they'll keep thinking that the west doesn't care about anything that isn't Pokemon or maybe Digimon. :shrug:

:bisonyes:

Shame this all but guaranteed to be Japan-only but if it does come to the west I'm 100% down for a game in this setting, whether a retread of the Manga or based after it using the very goddamn obvious setup the last arc has.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

huh, switch version has a Japanese dub too. I don't remember and it's still downloading; how's the english?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

I've only played with english VA but pretty good imo. Sylvando, Veronica and Eight are probably my favorites.