Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've never heard of a character limit but I've definitely had to deal with the 10 lookups limit and it partially falls, stops working after the 10th. That was fun to have to convince the other side of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

This is the relevant stuff from the RFC:

code:
3.3.  Multiple Strings in a Single DNS Record

As defined in [RFC1035], Sections 3.3 and 3.3.14, a single text DNS
   record can be composed of more than one string.  If a published
   record contains multiple character-strings, then the record MUST be
   treated as if those strings are concatenated together without adding
   spaces.  For example:

IN TXT "v=spf1 .... first" "second string..."

is equivalent to:

IN TXT "v=spf1 .... firstsecond string..."

TXT records containing multiple strings are useful in constructing
   records that would exceed the 255-octet maximum length of a
   character-string within a single TXT record.

3.4.  Record Size

The published SPF record for a given domain name SHOULD remain small
   enough that the results of a query for it will fit within 512 octets.
   Otherwise, there is a possibility of exceeding a DNS protocol limit.
   This UDP limit is defined in [RFC1035], Section 2.3.4, although it
   was raised by [RFC2671].  Staying below 512 octets ought to prevent
   older DNS implementations from failing over to TCP and will work with
   UDP in the absence of EDNS0 [RFC6891] support.  Since the answer size
   is dependent on many things outside the scope of this document, it is
   only possible to give this guideline: If the size of the DNS message,
   the combined length of the DNS name and the text of all the records
   of a given type is under 450 octets, then DNS answers ought to fit in
   UDP packets.  Records that are too long to fit in a single UDP packet
   could be silently ignored by SPF verifiers due to firewall and other
   issues that interfere with the operation of DNS over TCP or using
   ENDS0.

Note that when computing the sizes for replies to queries of the TXT
   format, one has to take into account any other TXT records published
   at the domain name.  Similarly, the sizes for replies to all queries
   related to SPF have to be evaluated to fit in a single 512-octet UDP
   packet (i.e., DNS message size limited to 450 octets).
RFC 2671
code:
4.5.1. Note that a 512-octet UDP payload requires a 576-octet IP
       reassembly buffer.  Choosing 1280 on an Ethernet connected
       requestor would be reasonable.  The consequence of choosing too
       large a value may be an ICMP message from an intermediate
       gateway, or even a silent drop of the response message.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Can someone settle this for me, is PrivateInternetAccess not a good VPN anymore due to who bought them or is it FUD? What is the currently goon approved VPN provider?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cr0y posted:

Can someone settle this for me, is PrivateInternetAccess not a good VPN anymore due to who bought them or is it FUD? What is the currently goon approved VPN provider?

ProtonVPN is still decent.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CommieGIR posted:

ProtonVPN is still decent.

Agreed, Proton is legit. But my favorite is still Mullvad, which just got picked to provide the actual backend service for Firefox's new VPN offering.

As for PIA... sorry, haven't really been following the story, or even tried their service, so I can't say.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

From the Windows thread:

935 posted:

Not even sure what to google to figure this out. I got a new cell number few months ago and it obviously belonged to a Ms Cathy Jackson (I didn't use her real name) , since I keep getting spam calls for her.

Last week I got a new personal laptop, and at the setup screen keyed in the information I could remember about the outlook account I had set up years ago. I added my cell when it asked.

Apparently just adding this cell linked my entire windows account to Cathy Jackson. Her onedrive account linked to my new laptop, and I can see her medication list. Skype signed me in as Cathy Jackson. Her credit card was saved in Internet Explorer. I see her face on my profile.

How the gently caress did this happen, how do I fix this, and who can I talk to to make sure this poo poo never happens to anyone else ever again.

:stonk:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Amazing.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
activating your #1 Best Grandma digital entitlement...

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
What the hell.....

That's gotta art at this point.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/KringleCon/status/1205491010958020608

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Does anybody know how to make the AzireVPN app to start automatically when loging into Windows 10?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
https://www.businessinsider.com/nginx-russian-police-cofounders-f5-networks-2019-12

Might want to hold off for a spell on nginx updates and modules till this shakes out. Smells like a source code grab!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Iron Rose posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/nginx-russian-police-cofounders-f5-networks-2019-12

Might want to hold off for a spell on nginx updates and modules till this shakes out. Smells like a source code grab!

Even more, it might be a state sponsored grab, taking bets now of nginx getting forked by the community.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Is there a good repository out there for best practice ways to fix certain security issues? Like maybe a general outline of "Hey you have a problem: x, y, and z probably need to be checked and you probably also might want to do a, b, c." I mean you can just google or research individual items like "I have a rogue AP, what do I do?" or "I've been rensenwared, how do I score enough to get my computer back?", but I haven't found a knowledge base of generalized trouble shooting/remediation/eradication best practices.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Defenestrategy posted:

Is there a good repository out there for best practice ways to fix certain security issues? Like maybe a general outline of "Hey you have a problem: x, y, and z probably need to be checked and you probably also might want to do a, b, c." I mean you can just google or research individual items like "I have a rogue AP, what do I do?" or "I've been rensenwared, how do I score enough to get my computer back?", but I haven't found a knowledge base of generalized trouble shooting/remediation/eradication best practices.

Ransomware is only solveable one of two ways: Paying or having proper backups. Maybe you'll get lucky and there will be a published decryptor out, but don't bet on it. https://nvd.nist.gov/800-53/Rev4/control/CP-9

Rouge APs: Work on getting 802.1x Network Access Controls implemented on your network. Here's the draft for the NIST WLAN: https://csrc.nist.gov/csrc/media/publications/sp/800-153/final/documents/draft-sp800-153.pdf

This is kind of what the NIST standards are for: To help you identify and resolve security issues, but still assume that you have talented IT people that can help you implement the changes and understand the technical side. There's some good writeups for consumers, but the lessons are the same.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 16, 2019

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

My team is looking to build out our Elastic cluster in the cloud, but it sounds like Elastic is selling it to them as best done via IaaS? Anyone else use ELK and run all their stuff in :c2b: that could more accurately inform me how much smoke is being blown up our rear end for compute requirements?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
You can run ELK yourself on EC2 or whatever just fine?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ChubbyThePhat posted:

My team is looking to build out our Elastic cluster in the cloud, but it sounds like Elastic is selling it to them as best done via IaaS? Anyone else use ELK and run all their stuff in :c2b: that could more accurately inform me how much smoke is being blown up our rear end for compute requirements?

I am a little confused on what you don't understand. Are you suspecting you are being told to build too much infrastructure? Are you confused of the benefits of IaaS vs not?

Do you currently not have your elastic custer on prem? I feel like if you already have it on prem you should have an idea of what your consumption already looks like so you can size it in the cloud appropriately.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Ah. Yes reading back on my post I basically provided zero context to anything I was asking; my mistake.

We are running on prem right now but our logstash is FAR from collecting everything it's supposed to. We do have a decent assumption towards our event ingestion with all systems, but as these last statements indicate we have no live data to confirm it against. Basically Elastic is suggesting what I believe to be an incredible over-build and was curious what sort of rough figures of compute power other people were using.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Just abandon elk and go all in on azure log analytics.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wanted to bitch about random bullshit turning up in my Pi Hole logs, but turns out Chrome on my smartphone is polling random letter hostnames to detect whether something's loving with DNS.

I find it a tad annoying, tho. --edit: I guess what's more interesting is that it's doing it while my phone is locked and idle for hours now.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 18, 2019

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

ChubbyThePhat posted:

how much smoke is being blown up our rear end for compute requirements?

Elastic stack seems to require metric fuckloads of resources to run even trivial queries, so wildly inflated requirements seem par for the course. My mind boggles when I hear that 8 GB of RAM is not enough to run an Elastick stack with 1 user doing manual queries a few times per day with 5 services logging into it but real world practice has proven this to be the case (the server was crashing due to out of memory and similar situations).

The whole stack is just insanely resource-wasteful. If your on-prem experience differs, you seem to be in the minority.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wanted to bitch about random bullshit turning up in my Pi Hole logs, but turns out Chrome on my smartphone is polling random letter hostnames to detect whether something's loving with DNS.

I find it a tad annoying, tho. --edit: I guess what's more interesting is that it's doing it while my phone is locked and idle for hours now.

You'll want to blacklist bugsnag.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

EssOEss posted:

Elastic stack seems to require metric fuckloads of resources to run even trivial queries, so wildly inflated requirements seem par for the course. My mind boggles when I hear that 8 GB of RAM is not enough to run an Elastick stack with 1 user doing manual queries a few times per day with 5 services logging into it but real world practice has proven this to be the case (the server was crashing due to out of memory and similar situations).

The whole stack is just insanely resource-wasteful. If your on-prem experience differs, you seem to be in the minority.

Is the issue that the individual EC2 instances need a lot of RAM? If the workload can be spread over lots of little EC2 instances then you could start with that and setup aggressive auto-scaling rules.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Could a piece of malware hypothetically rewrite a GPU's BIOS/firmware to send screen data to the malware's owner? Having a conversation with a super-paranoid former blackhat friend and I had never heard of/thought of that before. He runs Qubes with Xen so basically 90% of what he uses is disposable/non-writing. Definitely seems more towards the Mossad than the non-Mossad end of the threat spectrum, I'm wondering if it's even possible.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Okay infosec thread. What infosec specific things do you wish your infosec leadership could do better?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sickening posted:

Okay infosec thread. What infosec specific things do you wish your infosec leadership could do better?

I wish people in my organization actually understood PKI and certificates, and I wish that was encouraged by leadership on an organizational level.

I appreciate our infosec's active engagement with staff every time there's a breach and employees' personal data is exposed (not our breaches - lifelabs, Equifax etc)

I am on a personal crusade against shared accounts and I'd like that to be not a personal crusade - leadership should hammer that home during all hands and encourage buy-in from the rest of the company.

Clear policies for travels to high risk areas like China/Russia/GCC as well as something to say if TSA wants to inspect company data.

Password managers for the whole company.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 19, 2019

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Could a piece of malware hypothetically rewrite a GPU's BIOS/firmware to send screen data to the malware's owner? Having a conversation with a super-paranoid former blackhat friend and I had never heard of/thought of that before. He runs Qubes with Xen so basically 90% of what he uses is disposable/non-writing. Definitely seems more towards the Mossad than the non-Mossad end of the threat spectrum, I'm wondering if it's even possible.

it would be pretty elaborate and require some level of driver/application integration in the OS to ship the data out on the network stack, or some kind of integration/exploit to manage that over the UEFI environment, an OOB management controller, and/or the management engine embedded in the CPU that might have direct access to a nic. I would not consider it a likely vector, and there's likely going to be rom signature validation before flashing to stop it from taking arbitrary code so you'd be doing some soldering to get the rom written.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

it would be pretty elaborate and require some level of driver/application integration in the OS to ship the data out on the network stack, or some kind of integration/exploit to manage that over the UEFI environment, an OOB management controller, and/or the management engine embedded in the CPU that might have direct access to a nic. I would not consider it a likely vector, and there's likely going to be rom signature validation before flashing to stop it from taking arbitrary code so you'd be doing some soldering to get the rom written.

It's a good thing signing keys never get stolen and the graphics helper software on your computer is well known for its high bar in security.

This still sounds like badbios levels of probability though, there are easier ways and TAO will just intercept your shipment to solder something on if you're at this point.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sickening posted:

Open communication and honesty with the userbase is probably the biggest lesson we haven't learned yet. We made decisions in secret (sometimes even internally between teams in security) and do not solicit feedback for initiatives that will impact the entire org. Our relationship with other departments is often hostile and they more often than not fight us or withhold important information as a result. Not exactly productive in the context of security if your userbase is trying to undermine you every step of the way.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Volmarias posted:

It's a good thing signing keys never get stolen and the graphics helper software on your computer is well known for its high bar in security.

This still sounds like badbios levels of probability though, there are easier ways and TAO will just intercept your shipment to solder something on if you're at this point.

Yeah, I am not saying it is impossible but the number of things you have to successfully chain together to make it work mean that doing this would be pretty much a one-off to a specific hardware config in a specific org because any one of a number of variables changing slightly would make the wheels fall off. We're talking Iranian enrichment program PLC sabotage levels of sophistication and targeting

e: It's much easier to target an OOB controller (idrac/intel me/ilo/etc) since that's going to let you scrape the video buffer and should already have an active network stack to exfil on.

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 19, 2019

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

NVIDIA GPUs Kepler and newer and AMD GPUs Vega and newer will authenticate their VBIOS signature against a key that has not, to date, been broken (by the general public at least, and people have been trying so that they can play with it for mining/etc). Replacing the VBIOS with a malicious one is towards the Mossad end of the scale for sure.

That said, GPU process isolation is probably not very good and I would work on the assumption that it's possible to leak data from one process to another (or in the case of SR-IOV from one user to another). For starters consumer GPUs only zero memory at startup, so there is the possibility that you could be handed memory that already has data from another process in it. Also, there is a decent chance that GPUs could be vulnerable to some kind of spectre-like attack since it's doubtful any attention was paid to timing attacks when designing a performance-oriented GPU architecture back in the 2010-2012 timeframe.

So while firmware attacks are probably unlikely, there are probably attacks that would allow an unprivileged app to, say, grab framebuffer data from a browser or from the screen-wide framebuffer and then send that to someone. It is probably a blessing in disguise that GPU-accelerated compute has never really taken off outside niche compute-intensive applications so there isn't much sensitive data sitting in VRAM.

Still pretty paranoid, and still probably implies that the Mossad is interested in you specifically as opposed to someone dropping cryptominers on everybody they can, but I think there's a pretty good chance there are significant unknown vulnerabilities in GPU architectures and firmware.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 19, 2019

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the question mentioning GPUs is blinding you to the answer to getting this attack working in the wild: the monitor's firmware and osd itself. see an active demo on dell screens in 2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvP2FEfOSsk

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Open communication and honesty with the userbase is probably the biggest lesson we haven't learned yet. We made decisions in secret (sometimes even internally between teams in security) and do not solicit feedback for initiatives that will impact the entire org. Our relationship with other departments is often hostile and they more often than not fight us or withhold important information as a result. Not exactly productive in the context of security if your userbase is trying to undermine you every step of the way.

Do you work where I work, or are these problems just that common.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Biowarfare posted:

You'll want to blacklist bugsnag.
What's Bugsnag?

I've updated Pi Hole a day or two before this. I'm surprised it's not on any blacklist it uses.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

PBS posted:

Do you work where I work, or are these problems just that common.

I'd say it's common, since it rings true for me too. I'm on the other end of it. Our security team operates in the shadows and is usually an irritating presence when they peek out to ask for information for things they should already know, berate us for violating policies they created without buy-in, or when they break critical business apps with their mostly secret infrastructure. The final point is the greatest, because they reveal themselves after we've been troubleshooting under pressure for hours.

I get that there may be certain things they can't reveal, but they act like they're the NSA or something.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Inter-department infighting? It's not just a thing between IT and others. It's everywhere.

Ellipson
Sep 14, 2007

everything's cool

One of the things I started doing is meeting with product teams when there isn’t an incident or ask; I need a word other than “peacetime” for it. If the only time we interact with the teams we support is when we broke them or we are asking them to do work, it’s hard to have a non-hostile relationship.

For my tools team, we’re starting to require ourselves (and have metrics we are accountable for) in the realm of noise in security bugs, improving user workflows alongside work to make security tooling and not just throwing up new roadblocks, that sorta thing. I spend a lot of time talking to peers in performance/accessibility; they have some of the same problems we do w/r/t asks to other teams, but without the “you have to do this because security” hammer. Lessons to learn from them.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

Is the issue that the individual EC2 instances need a lot of RAM? If the workload can be spread over lots of little EC2 instances then you could start with that and setup aggressive auto-scaling rules.

You don't just autoscale elasticsearch. You'll be spending your whole life with shards moving around, reallocating, losing data. You could autoscale Logstash and Kibana, but the meat is in Elasticsearch.

We run an ELK cluster, but we use ES as part of our product and most of my ES experience is on those clusters. I can't say anything like x events/second needs a cluster with y nodes or anything like that, but I will say that our new clusters are on i3en nodes and using the on-board nvme storage instead of EBS. We were on an loving ancient version of ES that didn't have index snapshots to S3, meaning we couldn't tolerate the volatility of instance store before. That change really bought us a ton of efficiency, and is going to save us a bunch of money.

Elastic is pretty clear about using instance store instead of EBS, and they are right about that. So maybe they are right about the other recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

My company has been fiddling around with adding Security Onion to our infrastructure as a kind of rolling project, where it'll be sweet once we get it working and configured properly, but we're not really investing serious time into getting it up and running. While combing through the logs today my boss came on this event that repeats every so often.

code:

Severity Type                  Description
 Warning   Crytocurrency mining  This website is known for mining cryptocurrency on client devices  ~blah blah~ Info: no-cookie.kiwifarms.net
Not particularly surprised, but someone in the company is gonna be real sad they can't visit their favorite forums after the Xmas break.