Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Sniep posted:

post the doggos

check your pms for access to my private drive with their parents footage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Vomik posted:

no clue about how the boot is structured on windows but on LINUX you’d need the UUID to be correct which would be different on a diff hard drive. I can’t imagine it would be different on windows. seems like it would be as simple as mounting the cloned drive changing directory to the boot folder (probably EFI/Microsoft/Boot) and running “bootrec /fixboot”

but maybe not I dunno I barely know anything about computers tbh

I think you can just do repair install from a usb windows install too tho

windows also needs the right storage driver otherwise you get INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, and it is possible to install a new one in a offline windows instllation but i havent done that for anything past xp

the linux equivalent of this is "need to rebuild the initrd with the right storage driver module" which i had do to when moving a centos install from one machine to another a very long time ago

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
hard reseting them would probably lead to my death as their all on like the icy roof and poo poo

plus the ones I can connect to remotely have no names or anything (even in the source code); other than what I can find from the MAC address but I do get cool pictures like this

Thanks Wish and Alibaba $10 wifi home security cameras!

and playing with Wireshark for the past hour, I think I'm too dumb for it, I thought it'd need to be in front of a tap or something to capture data from other devices on the LAN other than the one I installed Wireshark on (other than broadcast data?) With the tomato router I set up years ago it was pretty much exactly what I wanted, was just curious if there was a new method (like with a pi or something).

Anyway thanks for the info Ill look deeper in it

Hirez fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 20, 2019

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Yeah I tried bootrec and repair install and all that poo poo and it absolutely refused to work

i think the problem now is that uefi needs and "EFI system partition" with the windows boot loader, which mbr2gpt does not make
its dumb i know, but when you make sure everything is efi native it all works better than legacy booting

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Perplx posted:

i think the problem now is that uefi needs and "EFI system partition" with the windows boot loader, which mbr2gpt does not make
its dumb i know, but when you make sure everything is efi native it all works better than legacy booting

Yeah I ended up just buying a regular 2.5" ssd and cloning the drive to that and it worked perfectly

I can't imagine the speed increase between a 2.5" ssd and an m.2 being worth that much aggravation. I seriously was at it for like five loving hours trying to get it to boot. What a waste of an afternoon

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
what's the best domain registrar these days

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maximum Leader posted:

gandi continues to reign supreme

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jenny Agutter posted:

Put Wireshark on something and see which IP is creating all the traffic

ooh yeah if it’s WiFi you can see which MAC is chatty I think, even with wpa2

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the brute force solution is to throw a system with two NICs in between the router and the switch, make the NICs a bridge, and then point Wireshark at the bridge

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hirez posted:

My parents have like 8 dog cams (all diff brands of course!) and the router provided by the ISP doesn't differentiate where bandwidth is coming from

What's the semi-cheapest type tomato type router I can setup in front of the router to figure out what IOT is compromised (it's sending like at least 100gb/day, I remember using tomato a while ago for a dif purpose; but that was years ago -- is there some raspberry pi I can use or what not to see what's causing all the bandwidth usage? They started getting calls from the ISP so they called me to come fix it.
)
I've tried some software ones (Capsa?) which didn't really do much. Im sure theres a better method these days than installing Tomato on a WRT-54g or whatever it was back in the day.

The cam's are all in high places and stuff so unplugging them one by one trying to figure it out seems like more effort than throwing in a tomato style router in front of the ISP router (plus it'll let me see wtf is going on with alot of connection drops they complain about)

for example in 2hours, with literally nothing going on (2am):

WAN Receiving 42.04G Bytes
WAN Sending 2.53G Bytes
Private LAN IP Address 192.168.1.1/24
LAN Receiving 2.56G Bytes
LAN Sending 41.40G Bytes

I've changed passwords/ssid/etc but still happening so ya that isn't really an option here

Thanks!

Get a power meter to see which one is drawing the most.
Or, get a thermal cam to see which one is hottest.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the brute force solution is to throw a system with two NICs in between the router and the switch, make the NICs a bridge, and then point Wireshark at the bridge

Eh, you can just arp spoof the mac addresses to pull the traffic towards you.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
get the cheapest smart/managed switch with port mirroring

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
or dig up a hub. or get a ubnt edgerouter, im p sure they'll break down bandwidth by device

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Perplx posted:

get the cheapest smart/managed switch with port mirroring

amazingly this is the only correct answer

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

they also support more obscure tlds then I’ve seen elsewhere

got a single-letter .geek.nz domain on there now

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

went for gandi with Cloudflare dns and everything seems to be working out well, thanks

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maximum Leader posted:

went for gandi with Cloudflare dns and everything seems to be working out well, thanks

:patriot:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

WilWheaton posted:

amazingly this is the only correct answer

:wrong:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Maximum Leader posted:

you. buy a TLD

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
Is there a way to set up Steam Remote Play if you can't access the host computer's console? I'm out of town and discovered Remote Play but I can't access the console in order to accept the dialog prompt to allow remote input. I can RDP to the system but the prompt is on the console so I can't accept it that way. Is there a way to interact with the prompt via Powershell or anything?

e: The solution was TeamViewer unattended access.

dodecahardon fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 26, 2019

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
i’m in need of a yospos approved wifi router that won’t break the bank. i don’t want to deal with a mesh setup for this one story house. just something with a strong as hell radio for decent coverage.

the isp supplied router just sucks and i’ve tried 3 different extenders and they’re all flaky as hell in their own different ways. i just want a big dumb loud router.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

wrt54gl

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Laslow posted:

i’m in need of a yospos approved wifi router that won’t break the bank. i don’t want to deal with a mesh setup for this one story house. just something with a strong as hell radio for decent coverage.

the isp supplied router just sucks and i’ve tried 3 different extenders and they’re all flaky as hell in their own different ways. i just want a big dumb loud router.

the only kind of extender that works without any “actually,” is a wlan repeater with ethernet connection to your wireless router

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the only kind of extender that works without any “actually,” is a wlan repeater with ethernet connection to your wireless router
yeah, ironically i was using a wrt54gl for this. i just don’t like having the wires, and extra ugly router. this house isn’t massive when it comes to square footage, so i figured that there’s some more powerful router that can cover the whole place without any trouble.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Laslow posted:

yeah, ironically i was using a wrt54gl for this. i just don’t like having the wires, and extra ugly router. this house isn’t massive when it comes to square footage, so i figured that there’s some more powerful router that can cover the whole place without any trouble.

it’s a bit pricey, but at work we used ubiquiti uap ac pro antennas - 2 were enough to maintain optimal connectivity for 25 users in a 3000 sqft space

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Laslow posted:

idk about “won’t break the bank” but the dream machine is fine, routes a gigglebit no sweat, radio good, and if you do want more hardwired stations it’ll admin them fine

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i just wanted to share that i was about to make a post for router recs because i thought my router was flaky. it turns out charter/spectrum is so half backwards on their ipv6 rollout here that it was just failing half my requests silently

silently after 6 months of functioning fine. nothing changed in my setup in that time. i started seeing various issues with connecting before something would find an alternate route but never so bad as to fully break my connection

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

idk about “won’t break the bank” but the dream machine is fine, routes a gigglebit no sweat, radio good, and if you do want more hardwired stations it’ll admin them fine
i’ll give this one a go. it doesn’t look like a robot spider like the xtreme gamer ones, which is a huge plus.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

that’s my password

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

i get no audio from The Witcher 3 when using the Realtek drivers that cane with my laptop...but after totally uninstalling the Realtek stuff, Windows reverted to some generic audio drivers and now the game works fine.

What gives? Is there any benefit to using the Realtek software is the stock Windows drivers seem to work fine?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Rock My Socks! posted:

i get no audio from The Witcher 3 when using the Realtek drivers that cane with my laptop...but after totally uninstalling the Realtek stuff, Windows reverted to some generic audio drivers and now the game works fine.

What gives? Is there any benefit to using the Realtek software is the stock Windows drivers seem to work fine?

the benefit is your sound doesn’t work, so if that’s what you want then go for it I guess

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
when my laptop had windows i had a lot of trouble with the realtek poo poo because i uninstalled some stupid-sounding audio-adjacent program that turned out to be a vital part of the sound drivers somehow

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

are there 3.5” ssds?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Progressive JPEG posted:

are there 3.5” ssds?

probably, but they're bound to be weird. i would just mount any common 2.5" drive to an adapter bracket that fits in a 3.5" bay instead of finding the one janky actual 3.5" ssd that must exist

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Progressive JPEG posted:

are there 3.5” ssds?

nope! just adapters

you dont need all that space when theres nothing spinning around in there

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Raluek posted:

probably, but they're bound to be weird. i would just mount any common 2.5" drive to an adapter bracket that fits in a 3.5" bay instead of finding the one janky actual 3.5" ssd that must exist

the closest thing i can think of is one of those hybrid drives that has both an ssd and a spiny thing inside of it

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Helianthus Annuus posted:

nope! just adapters

you dont need all that space when theres nothing spinning around in there

magnum xl ssd for when 2.5" isn't big enough

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

yeah I was just imagining someone using the extra space to make a 40TB SSD or something

tho I guess there’s probably not that much demand to concentrate that much space behind a single point of failure

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

yeah I was just imagining someone using the extra space to make a 40TB SSD or something

tho I guess there’s probably not that much demand to concentrate that much space behind a single point of failure
Idk, have you seen the servers SA runs on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

apparently there is such a thing

100TB

https://nimbusdata.com/products/exadrive-platform/scalable-ssds/

no word on pricing of course, lol