Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was getting real mad at Kate for the way she treats Mary but I'm glad to see the show completely knows it and meant for us to be mad at Kate. And now Kate feels all the guilt she could for it. So hopefully things get better for Mary in the second half. I'm glad her mom was proud of her clinic stuff.

I don't really blame Kate for being "hopeful" about Alice/Beth. Its her twin sister and her disappearance has defined Kate's entire life. But they did a good job establishing why Alice finally broke that bond and that Kate is carrying an appropriately Batman amount of guilt over the consequences.

But yeah, keep Sophie the gently caress away. She's a sucky person.

McSpanky posted:

Besides, heroes wearing their full costumes in their secret lair always seemed off to me. Skintight armor/bodysuits and full helmets/masks have gotta be constricting as hell, the first thing I'd do after a long day in that poo poo is strip down and take a load off. It'd be like kicking off your shoes after work times a hundred.

Yeah, I really like that whole "gently caress I get this cowl and mask off but I'm not loving doing everything to get the costume off until I know I'm done or i have to pee" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It also helps that Ruby Rose looks real good in the suit. I mean yes, she's an attractive woman, but that is a really well designed BatSuit and one of the best Arrowverse costumes ver.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Absolutely, I don't blame them at all (or mind :pervert: ) when they decide to show it off.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm with everyone else. The suit looks great, but they should take any chance they get to have Ruby in suit sans wig and mask. It really does look fantastic with just that.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Decided to retry the Gotham show, and it's pretty cool! The first episode didn't do it justice.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The first season of Gotham is kind of a mess because the showrunners weren't sure what they wanted to do with the show and Fox kept on adding episodes so they also weren't sure how long the story arcs were going to be.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

The first season of Gotham is kind of a mess because the showrunners weren't sure what they wanted to do with the show and Fox kept on adding episodes so they also weren't sure how long the story arcs were going to be.

All of Gotham was kind of a mess, wasn’t it? I seem to recall they publicly see-sawed back and forth for years on whether Cameron Monaghan’s character was the Joker or just some schmuck who looks and acts like the Joker and has whole backstory elements of the Joker lifted out of the comics but was actually just a big misdirect because the real Joker was his twin brother who was an innocent bystander brainwashed into being the Joker. Oh and watch out for Harley Quinn, she’s definitely coming to Gotham, we’ve been teasing and laying the groundwork for her arrival for years—actually no we never intended to have Harley Quinn show up on the show, where did you get that rumour from?

And that’s just the stuff I remember off hand.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

But even then, the show so far feels like it's set in Gotham City in a way Batwoman continues not to be.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Batwoman made a choice to focus on 1 Batman villain and I really like it, but its definitely fair to say that Gotham doesn't have that same "city out of control" feel. Especially after the Elseworlds Arkham Asylum escape. There should be Bat Villains running around who Kate has to deal with between her sister's poo poo.

Hopefully in the second half of the season.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Batwoman made a choice to focus on 1 Batman villain and I really like it, but its definitely fair to say that Gotham doesn't have that same "city out of control" feel. Especially after the Elseworlds Arkham Asylum escape. There should be Bat Villains running around who Kate has to deal with between her sister's poo poo.

Hopefully in the second half of the season.

Yeah, this last episode definitely feels like the first one that was made after the show started airing and they got real audience feedback so they’re starting to course correct on stuff, like having Alice finally cross the point of no return with Kate, killing off the pointless Evil Stepmom, and having Mary lose it on Kate after how dogshit Kate’s treated her all season so far. Hopefully after Crisis things will continue on the upward trend.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think it was probably by design that they wanted to focus on Kate and her interpersonal relationships before Batwoman. It feels like a deliberate contrast to Bruce/Batman where he had no real life beyond Batman. Kate is being presented as that one family member Bruce really loved but she knew nothing about him, and she's coming at this from the opposite angle as him only putting on the suit to try and deal with her personal stuff and save the people she loves.

But the last episode definitely capped off or advanced a lot of that stuff so hopefully it gets us on the path to her really growing into the role as Batwoman, Alice falling back to a meta plot villain, and Kate having to deal more with Gotham as a whole. One interesting affect of that episode is Kate's dad being arrested and the CROWS being implicated could have been done to destabilize the city and end the CROWS' control over things. So hopefully that means without that authority Gotham starts getting more Gothamy.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

SardonicTyrant posted:

Decided to retry the Gotham show, and it's pretty cool! The first episode didn't do it justice.

Play the Gotham drinking game.

Sip of beer any time anyone says "GCPD"
2 fingers of beer anytime anyone says "Bruce".
Shot any time the GCPD gets invaded.

Impossible to complete an episode.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Mr Beens posted:

Play the Gotham drinking game.

Sip of beer any time anyone says "GCPD"
2 fingers of beer anytime anyone says "Bruce".
Shot any time the GCPD gets invaded.

Impossible to complete an episode.
The GCPD building is so loving gothic and overdesigned I love it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

The GCPD building is so loving gothic and overdesigned I love it.

Compare that to the second SCPD where it's fairly simple and basic save for the chief's office in the middle with four walls of glass

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Sophie is the absolute loving worst. Kate deserves better.

Also, Kate bailing on Mary time and time again finally biting her in the rear end. Hey, when you texted Sophie that her boss was an impostor, did it not occur to you that you should maybe tip off your step-sister who was going to be in close proximity to the crazy escaped murderer wearing her step-dad's face, too? If Mary finds out that Kate knew, that's it then. She'll go full Lena Luthor. Or rather, she'd better.

Also, swole Luke from Crisis was hilarious. Like, drat, son.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Aleph Null posted:

Sophie is the absolute loving worst. Kate deserves better.

Also, Kate bailing on Mary time and time again finally biting her in the rear end. Hey, when you texted Sophie that her boss was an impostor, did it not occur to you that you should maybe tip off your step-sister who was going to be in close proximity to the crazy escaped murderer wearing her step-dad's face, too? If Mary finds out that Kate knew, that's it then. She'll go full Lena Luthor. Or rather, she'd better.

Also, swole Luke from Crisis was hilarious. Like, drat, son.

Kara making it weird.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So why was Luke acting as butler but almost half naked?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Xelkelvos posted:

It was Bruce's dying wish.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

I like to imagine that it was like, his day off. If only because that lets me imagine that in another universe, Alfred answers the door at Wayne Manor in sweatpants and slippers every other Saturday.

VVV: oh yeeaaahhh guess that doesn't make much sense huh

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 21, 2019

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If Alfref gets a day off, than WTH is he doing answering the door!?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Xelkelvos posted:

Be real. If you looked like that, you'd be half naked, too. Just grating cheese on them abs all day.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Xelkelvos posted:

Someone's gotta lube up the mech suit.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just wanted to say that even though I tried, I didn't like this show as much as I wanted, but ultimately I'm happy it exists. Hope all you fans are getting your mileage out of it and happy holidays.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's okay, none of us are enjoying it either.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It is offensively bad, but at least in a funny way usually.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It suffers from what I like to call "no, gently caress you" TV, where a big chunk of the dialog could be replaced by characters saying that and it wouldn't effect what we've seen. Everyones so cranky and pissed off with each other constantly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ruby Rose being a super poo poo actress doesn't help things much.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

It suffers from what I like to call "no, gently caress you" TV, where a big chunk of the dialog could be replaced by characters saying that and it wouldn't effect what we've seen. Everyones so cranky and pissed off with each other constantly.

I mean, that was Arrow for a long while there too, lest we forget.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, that was Arrow for a long while there too, lest we forget.

Stephen Amell was never this bad and he'd been in like three episodes of Private Practice.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Honestly, I can't fault Ruby Rose given that she's got absolutely nothing to work with. She's really no worse than anyone else.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Slamhound posted:

Honestly, I can't fault Ruby Rose given that she's got absolutely nothing to work with. She's really no worse than anyone else.

You should watch other poo poo she's been in.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Rhyno posted:

You should watch other poo poo she's been in.
I've only ever seen her pretty terrible appearance on Dark Matter. This is an improvement.

Alice, Mary, and maybe Luke are the only characters who are even remotely engaging. This whole show is just so relentlessly flat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She's just awful.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Ruby's fine, like a snarkier Oliver, the material is bad.

And Ruby looks amazing in the suit sans helmet

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ruby Rose is terrible in everything I've seen her in. She's just a bad actress.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

Ruby's fine, like a snarkier Oliver, the material is bad.

And Ruby looks amazing in the suit sans helmet

I liked when Oliver used to be a horrible conversationalist, then start walking away, but remembered to touch the guy on the shoulder, because that's how Oliver-tron thought real people acted.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

But some random Youtube video told me it was being cancelled?

https://twitter.com/CWBatwoman/status/1214647525921017856?s=20

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

*Half-heartedly* Yaaaay

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Davros1 posted:

But some random Youtube video told me it was being cancelled?

https://twitter.com/CWBatwoman/status/1214647525921017856?s=20

It's the 2nd highest rated show on the CW after Flash so it's actually doing kinda gangbusters for a debut Arrowverse show season. Hope the writing steps up next year though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

It's the 2nd highest rated show on the CW after Flash so it's actually doing kinda gangbusters for a debut Arrowverse show season. Hope the writing steps up next year though.

Yeah. I feel like it's running on the inertia from having a lesbian lead or maybe other people are more forgiving of its glaring flaws.