Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

Uh your bench is higher than your squat??

Did I typo somewhere or are you implying that big boy plates are 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

Did I typo somewhere or are you implying that big boy plates are 4?

Well the squat you linked yesterday was like 285 and your bench is 315?

Unless I’m missing something.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
There are like 6 squats in that video ending in a PR of 352lbs :ocelot:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

There are like 6 squats in that video ending in a PR of 352lbs :ocelot:

Oh lol guess I should have watched the whole thing!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

308 bench with a 352 squat is still pretty :thunk:

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Yeah my bench is 250 lb and I squatted 370 lb last week weighing 188lbs. Looking at the squat vid I reckon you can do a fair bit more, especially if you only go down to parallel instead of going so deep.

Different squats for different people tho

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

nooneofconsequence posted:

308 bench with a 352 squat is still pretty :thunk:

I'd be completely ok with this.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
I've always been a lovely squatter with a long femur and I've only been able to get to a good depth the last 1.5 years. I also just like upperbody work way more so that comes natural to me.

UnfurledSails posted:

Yeah my bench is 250 lb and I squatted 370 lb last week weighing 188lbs. Looking at the squat vid I reckon you can do a fair bit more, especially if you only go down to parallel instead of going so deep.

Different squats for different people tho

I think the camera angle might make this look deeper than it is, I just barely hit competition depth I'd say (not that I ever want to compete, but I like to hold myself against some standard)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't need fatter legs so I avoid squats actually

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Lolly gagglin’ skipping leg days

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Try the 'we gonna make those hips springy and you gonna like it' program my coach devised for me.

Day 1: back squat
Day 2: front squat
Day 3: speed back squat (lighter, as fast as hips let me go)
Day 4: jump back squat

I'm back to a pure power program and only squat twice a week. Closing in on the body weight front squat.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I am like the exact opposite, 400lb squat but like 230 bench

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

352/308 sounds about right for the super upright beltless highbar he's doing.

Lower the bar to lean over a bit and throw on a belt and after about a month getting used to it I could see Helios hitting 410-440ish. But if he's not competing it doesn't really matter.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

im really fat now and out of shape and want to die but all time pr'd my backsquat yesterday at 445, bw 199.

https://i.imgur.com/fymcleY.mp4

Also benched 225 just to see what my elbow could handle.

starting base now, will start cut one once im back down to 190, hoping to get down to around 175-180. that's my magic place. finally finished didactic so i have time again. Want to still do the dreaded c word 2-3 times a week just for the cardio. I just can't make myself do poo poo in the gym alone.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Nice PR dude.
I do find that little stomp really cute. I see that so many people doing, also "screwing" in the feet before the lift. I wonder who started that trend.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Helios Grime posted:

Nice PR dude.
I do find that little stomp really cute. I see that so many people doing, also "screwing" in the feet before the lift. I wonder who started that trend.

I kind of wiggle shoulders around too before throwing my elbows back to lock everything in. If that makes sense. Makes me confident the bars where it needs to be. Then I do a loud, obnoxious exhale before filling my belly.

The stomps to let everyone know you're about to lift and you really mean it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

The stomps to let everyone know you're about to lift and you really mean it.

well yeah.

then some dude on the other side of the gym airsquatted 600 for 2 and i was squat shamed

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FizFashizzle posted:

well yeah.

then some dude on the other side of the gym airsquatted 600 for 2 and i was squat shamed

Sheesh some people. It's lifter vs the bar not vs other people. Especially outside of a comp.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Sheesh some people. It's lifter vs the bar not vs other people. Especially outside of a comp.

oh im just kidding he's chill as poo poo

half the people in this gym (armor in knoxville) would melt a cup if they had to pee but they're all nice people

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I love stomping and screwing my feet in the ground whenever I squat/deadlift. I like to think of it like I'm driving my roots down into the ground, and my body is a tree, from which the delicious gains fruit grows.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Oh I also give the bar a chalky, double hand beezy for anything off the floor like cleans or deadlifts.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Its very satisfying to twist the feet and plant

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Guess I should've screwed my feet into the floor for my deadlifts today, totally failed my stretch goals for PR and didn't even bring the bar from the floor.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

Guess I should've screwed my feet into the floor for my deadlifts today, totally failed my stretch goals for PR and didn't even bring the bar from the floor.

That’s a head thing imo.

You’ll get it next time.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

im really fat now and out of shape and want to die but all time pr'd my backsquat yesterday at 445, bw 199.

Nice work man

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Anyone use hookgrip kneesleeves? I'm finding my neoprene sleeves a little cumbersome on oly lifts and want something lighter but I feel like I'd be too lazy to wrap my knees.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Anyone use hookgrip kneesleeves? I'm finding my neoprene sleeves a little cumbersome on oly lifts and want something lighter but I feel like I'd be too lazy to wrap my knees.

they're lighter but always kinda felt flimsy to me

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

FizFashizzle posted:

they're lighter but always kinda felt flimsy to me

Any chance you've tried their knee wraps?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Helios Grime posted:

Only a 5lb Weight PR to my previous best.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6OgwFgAKnj/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Just got too ambitious and wanted that 220kg. That totally hosed with my head so I wasn't able to concentrate on my originally planned 215kg.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
After being out for a while from a knee injury, I just completed my second week back and it feels so good to be back. Gonna be a while before I'm back to setting any PRs but that's okay.

abgushte badamjan
Apr 4, 2009

for butts??????

They keep knees warm and aren't as bulky behind the knees like neoprene. They don't offer much physical support but they're all about that emotional support life.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Any chance you've tried their knee wraps?

I’ve never used Wraps.

I have a lot of friends that just use ace bandages.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

10 minute snatch test today, managed 180 before nearly vomiting

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

bomb posted:

drat an 80kg snatch made you puke?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

bomb posted:

I didn't think you'd be able to do that so soon after your wife had those twins.

e: holy crap that was longer ago than I thought.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

sounds like crossfit to me

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Dum Cumpster posted:

drat an 80kg snatch made you puke?

24kg kettlebell single handed snatches, and probably CrossFity but I don’t think they do much high volume snatching?

Anyways today was variety day so I decided to snatch test and work on getup form

bomb fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 20, 2019

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

itskage posted:

I didn't think you'd be able to do that so soon after your wife had those twins.

e: holy crap that was longer ago than I thought.

6 months goes fast

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I've finally got some decent quad definition and it turns out they're horribly asymmetrical lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Screwed my back up again (sciatica) and need to alter my arm work out. Loved to do standing curls with the ez bar but need to find a good alternative that doesn’t require me to hold a heavy bar standing. Any thoughts on a substitute bicep exercise that can replace it? I found the barbell curl really Gabe me a good burn and pumped my arms up. Now I’m worried I won’t get the same burn or arm growth