Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

JacksLibido posted:

Henry Cavil is TOO perfect, he ruins the rest of the characters. Everything with him just works and is awesome, while the other characters/actors feel like they’re in a high school play.

Show is... ok. It starts weak and confusing and gets better as you go along. I don’t like Triss’s casting, Yen is ok, though the actress doesn’t sell the “inner power, quiet danger” thing well at all. Ciri is ok, Geralt is loving perfect.

Also, that elf chick in ep2 looked weeeeeeeeird, kinda downsy, and the elf dude wasn’t far behind

I like the Yen casting. Thought she looked too young (especially when compared to Cavill) but really pulls it off as the season goes on.Agree about Triss. The rest is fine I guess, nothing special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The only thing throwing me off about casting is Triss looking older than Yen. Yen I was a bit concerned about at first, but I am loving her take on the character. Seeing her play off of Cavill's Geralt sealed the deal for me. Casting all around is so drat good.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Just started, Triss not being a foxy redhead is a sin but i'll let it pass for Cavill's acting, he nails the voice especially.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

The more I think about it, the more I feel like Ciri shouldn't have been introduced at all until maybe the end of the season. Her stuff feels so goddamn boring. Not to mention it ruins Cahir's character >=(

Kaedric fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 21, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Most of Ciri's stuff is made up whole cloth for the show, so it doesn't surprise me that it doesn't land as well as Geralt's stories.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

BIGASS BOOK SPOILERS, DON'T READ: I hope they are satisfied with the casting of Duny... considering. I wonder how they'll handle that? Make him grow a beard or give him enough makeup so that people don't notice? Might be hard if they list the cast at the end of the episode.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Everyone except for Henry Cavill looks like they came from a Tim and Eric sketch.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Even when the casting headshots came out people said the actress for Yen was too young for the part.

I got a Netflix trial to watch this and I kinda wish Henry Cavill had not watched Doug Cockle's performance. Polish Witcher voice actors are the superior experience!

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I'm usually very hard to please tv show-wise. After the early mediocre reviews I thought I wouldn't like this, even considering I loved the games. But holy poo poo was I wrong, I've only watched the first 2 episodes and the show absolutely works. I don't get the complaints from the critics - this is the best they could do with the material. Witcher's story isn't bad but it's no masterpiece, why do some people think the tv show turned some big piece of literature into campy garbage.

I've read reviewers calling Cavill "wooden" while ignoring the fact that Geralt is quite literally slavic fantasy's Clint Eastwood. I don't get what everyone expected this to be.

And yeah the metacritic review bombing is hilarious. The show is, apparently, "woke" because there's poc's in european fantasy and Yennefer isn't of documented aryan descent. This is the loving world we live in now.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Just Chamber posted:

Just started, Triss not being a foxy redhead is a sin but i'll let it pass for Cavill's acting, he nails the voice especially.

ya i actually thought they were doing a voice over for how accurate it jesus he nails it, halfway thru first epside I'm very impressed so far

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Reaction to the first episode: this is an extremely faithful adaptation of the short story collection. Geralt is a less likeable protagonist in the books than in the games and they seem to be running with that. The way it centers atmosphere instead of plot or characterization, how things tend to start nowhere in particular and end abruptly, never get fully explained etc. is a spot-on adaptation of the writing.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
Both sword fights in the first episode wow, why are they so good, I rewatched the group fight a second time. Why is it so hard for this type of action to be good when it's normally clunky and you can see through the chirography so easily?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Haven't see it yet, but one criticism that I've heard is that important background information, like the Conjunction of the Spheres, the founding of the Witcher order, and their eventual decline is poorly explained, which on one hand means it's a completely accurate adaptation, but on the other has confused a lot of people that haven't read the books or played the game. Maybe they should have had a 3-5 minute "World of the Witcher" opening thing to set things up better?

i gotta say, coming close to finishing this season and I'm pretty happy they did not give us flashbacks to How A Witcher Is Made or the conjunction.

people may mention these things in passing, but they're not yet relevant, and a new audience already has plenty they have to absorb

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Color contacts are always a mistake and especially in HD. Give the audience the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah so Ciri's actress doesn't have green eyes and Henry Cavill isn't a cat. CGI it in or give up, the contacts always look bad.

In the promo video for the showrunner who was like, "Is it crazy to start all three of these stories at once?" the answer was yes. The show is a lot weaker for jumping around.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 21, 2019

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Arglebargle III posted:

Color contacts are always a mistake and especially in HD. Give the audience the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah so Ciri's actress doesn't have green eyes and Henry Cavill isn't a cat. CGI it in or give up, the contacts always look bad.

I'll take those over younger De Niro's uncanny valley CGI eyes in the Irishman every day of the week. Distracted me the whole time.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Just finished watching it. i think the show would have been better if they kept Ciri for the last 2 episodes and put Yennefer's origin story as a flashback episode after she is introduced and knows Geralt. The cutting between them in the first few episodes was pretty disorienting even though i know the story from the book, can't imagine how bad it would be if coming in blind. At least the first episode should just stick with Geralt so you get his character.

Also the Striga looked like rear end.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cavill is super good.
Freya too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I hope there will eventually be a fan cut that separates the different stories.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpReBawvuIU

Man, these special effects are off the charts.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpReBawvuIU

Man, these special effects are off the charts.

The Witcher: As Presented by the Sunnybrook High Theater Company

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The actress who plays Renfri looks more like grown-up Maisie Williams than grown-up Maisie Williams does.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

The actress who plays Renfri looks more like grown-up Maisie Williams than grown-up Maisie Williams does.

Emma Appleton was really good as Renfri, to the point its kind of too bad she's not a bigger part of the series for obvious reasons

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Okay after completing the first episode I think it would have been stronger if it was a half-hour straight adaptation of The Lesser Evil instead of intercut with Ciri. In the books Cintra was introduced as a setting for a Geralt story before we met Ciri and I think that works a lot better than what they did here.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been noticing that there's a bit of vignette smearing on the edges of the image in some scenes. Is that intentional as a means of differentiating different storylines or is it just an issue with my monitor?

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

1stGear posted:

The Witcher: As Presented by the Sunnybrook High Theater Company

Wtf the princesses in both shows look the exact same. Also, hot take: polish calanthe is better than Netflix calanthe.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've been noticing that there's a bit of vignette smearing on the edges of the image in some scenes. Is that intentional as a means of differentiating different storylines or is it just an issue with my monitor?

I think it's just a stylistic thing so far as I can tell.

Also I like the fighting but it's a lot more chopping than artery nicking.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Mnoba posted:

Both sword fights in the first episode wow, why are they so good, I rewatched the group fight a second time. Why is it so hard for this type of action to be good when it's normally clunky and you can see through the chirography so easily?

I was genuinely stunned at how well made that scene was. Like, holy poo poo.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Just started the second episode and Dandelion is fuckin' perfect

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I also think it would be better if you meet Yen as the hardcore rear end-kicking fucks-not-giving witch that Geralt meets and only later get the backstory on why she's got a personality like a brick wall. It's hard to be a femme fatale if the audience already knows your tragic life story.

My biggest complaint so far is messing with the story structure. The short story collection is begging to be adapted for an episodic format, why complicate things?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I also think it would be better if you meet Yen as the hardcore rear end-kicking fucks-not-giving witch that Geralt meets and only later get the backstory on why she's got a personality like a brick wall. It's hard to be a femme fatale if the audience already knows your tragic life story.

I can see why they chose to go this way, admittedly. It's a really good fish out of water "let's explain lots of the world lore everyone else already knows" sorta thing

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

LGD posted:

Emma Appleton was really good as Renfri, to the point its kind of too bad she's not a bigger part of the series for obvious reasons

She would have been such a better triss, even the hair was about right for it

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I can see why they chose to go this way, admittedly. It's a really good fish out of water "let's explain lots of the world lore everyone else already knows" sorta thing

The Witcher is one setting where explaining things is over-rated. Sapkowski has always been good at atmosphere, not world-building. It's a mashup of noir pulp and high fantasy, the blurry edges are there on purpose.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i'm 3 episodes in and this show really seems to hate women

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

exmarx posted:

i'm 3 episodes in and this show really seems to hate women

I'm 8 episodes in and and this show is about a world that hates women, poor people and rich people.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

I'm 8 episodes in and and this show is about a world that hates women, poor people and rich people.

don't forget elves, dwarves, and other non-human figures.
And also humans.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only thing that seems to be well liked in this show is food and beer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BigglesSWE posted:

I was genuinely stunned at how well made that scene was. Like, holy poo poo.

Baginski is one of the show producers and he directed the CGI trailers for the Witcher games, including the Striga fight from Witcher 1 and Letho's assassination attempt in Witcher 2. I'm not surprised the fight scenes have excellent camera work.

As far as "this show really does hate women" it's more that the Witcher as a series always deals with how people are multifaceted and how all bets are off when war breaks out. A dispossessed noblewoman can be a sympathetic and caring while also being a racist rear end in a top hat. War and desperation bring out the worst in people and when the social order is upended it's everyone for themselves.
The Cintrian women getting killed by her Dwarf slave isn't meant to be a "this bitch got what she deserved gently caress yeah" moment as much as it's an object lesson in how actions have consequences and you have to learn to live with your choices. nobody gets off easy in wartime.

Evil is evil, and if you commit evil you have to find a way to rationalize it within yourself or perish. Just as no good deed goes unpunished, no evil goes unnoticed.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Rocksicles posted:

The only thing that seems to be well liked in this show is food and beer.

Counterpoint: Every time Geralt is given a beer in a tavern he spits it out because they apparently purposefully give him swill.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I’m like 10 minutes in and Henry Cavill is absolutely loving fantastic as Geralt. He’s so good!!! He loving nailed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

It was a nice touch for Renfri to have what's basically Snow White's haircut. Triss not having flaming-red hair threw me for a loop, I'll admit, but I don't really mind. The colorblind casting in general is an interesting choice considering the blatant racism towards elves and dwarves, but I support it. You could say it's a way for the showrunners to say "this is what we're depicting but not what we're advocating."