Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a lot of feelings about the US not getting the 3 door (is a hatch really a door) Fiesta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xsf421 posted:

Are you sure the 2015 can do the Sync 3 upgrade? I think it might only be the 2016+ hardware.

Yes it's only the 2016+ hardware, but the new hardware is pretty much plug and play. If you care about the built-in nav you need to get an adapter for the GPS antenna, but I'd imagine most people are upgrading for Android Auto or Carplay and couldn't give less of a gently caress about the OEM nav.

The hard part is getting the parts. Ford won't sell them to you and junkyards are really bad about separating the screen from the computer and losing track of the computer. I own three Sync 3 screens but have yet to get the correct computer. I've given up and have been half-assedly reverse engineering the way it interacts with the rest of the system in hopes of just being able to replace the whole thing with a Linux box of some sort.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I'm thinking about possibly going with a used FiST, even tho I don't like the interior at all really, but I just can't find any other cars that are worth a poo poo to drive for the money I want to spend.

All of a sudden there are a bunch of used ones around at reasonable enough prices/miles for me to overlook the interior issues as long as it puts a smile on my face :)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So I'm thinking about possibly going with a used FiST, even tho I don't like the interior at all really, but I just can't find any other cars that are worth a poo poo to drive for the money I want to spend.

All of a sudden there are a bunch of used ones around at reasonable enough prices/miles for me to overlook the interior issues as long as it puts a smile on my face :)

They're an incredible value for the fun but consider whether you want the Recaro seats in it or not- they take up space in the already small cabin and some people hate sitting in them

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Monkey Fracas posted:

They're an incredible value for the fun but consider whether you want the Recaro seats in it or not- they take up space in the already small cabin and some people hate sitting in them

also if you're a big lad they are snug

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

There's one right around the corner from me that I'm gonna check out that's non Recaro. Seems like most of them are, I haven't even sat in one with recaros yet.

The car I'm gonna look at has 11k miles and they want 15k for it, not bad. When i was looking at them new for 20k+ I was like no thanks, but now I'm seeing a bunch 15k and under with low miles so it might be worth it to me now.

That and I really want to drive a Chevy Bolt, if I fell in love with the EV I might be willing to pay more than I was planning on.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
If you fit in them the recaros are amazing and one of my favourite things about the car. I don’t think it would be anywhere near as good to drive without deep bucket seats which eliminate any sliding around.

Passengers always go for the grab handle and are shocked to realise it doesn’t have one, then not long after that they realise it doesn’t need one and they are not going anywhere.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Driving my brother's FiST with recaros, they're excellent. I wouldn't want to own one without them.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
I agree with all recaro talk, if they fit you should buy one that has them. One of my fav parts of the car.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

MetaJew posted:

Driving my brother's FiST with recaros, they're excellent. I wouldn't want to own one without them.

So you're saying you prefer your brother's FiST over VAG.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

Reported

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Adiabatic posted:

Pump the brakes

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

MetaJew posted:

Pump the brakes

Now do it again... slower.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Welp, test drove the FiST again and remembered one of the reasons I didn't like it....It feels way too cramped inside when I'm sitting in it. It's just too small lol. Drives great tho and is a joy to drive but I don't think i could live with it as a daily. Maybe I need to look at a FoST.

Found another xB tho with only 11k miles (2013) and Toyota Certified. It's the color I love (Army Rock) of my last car that got totaled which is pretty rare too. If they play ball I might just grab it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Cross post from the VW thread: What is the consensus on the Audi S1?

Not even really sure if it’s hot enough to be a hot hatch.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Welp, test drove the FiST again and remembered one of the reasons I didn't like it....It feels way too cramped inside when I'm sitting in it. It's just too small lol. Drives great tho and is a joy to drive but I don't think i could live with it as a daily. Maybe I need to look at a FoST.

Found another xB tho with only 11k miles (2013) and Toyota Certified. It's the color I love (Army Rock) of my last car that got totaled which is pretty rare too. If they play ball I might just grab it.

I really enjoy my FoST and I didn't get a FiST for the largely the same reason.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love the FiST but the lack of auto windows is irritating.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I love the FiST but the lack of auto windows is irritating.

:911:

Euro spec cars have this. Well, the trim level Australia got does anyway.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

This was the exact process that lead me to the Focus ST. I've really enjoyed it so far.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MunchE posted:

This was the exact process that lead me to the Focus ST. I've really enjoyed it so far.

Same here- that and feeling a little better on the poo poo roads I drive on

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm really glad I waited on buying a car (home expenses aside) I've seen some FiSTs plummeting in price. Might just pick one up as a daily instead of the "fun" car.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Rhyno posted:

I'm really glad I waited on buying a car (home expenses aside) I've seen some FiSTs plummeting in price. Might just pick one up as a daily instead of the "fun" car.

Doooooo ittttttt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Huge_Midget posted:

Doooooo ittttttt.

The plan was to make it my only car but I think I need options. There's a super cheap one in Noblesville, might jet down and look at it on Saturday.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Somehow the (previous shape) Focus seems even more cramped than the (previous shape) Fiesta to me - I think it’s mostly the design of the dashboard and the low roofline.

Fords are drat weird - the Mondeo is cramped inside too despite being an enormous car with an enormous trunk.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

Somehow the (previous shape) Focus seems even more cramped than the (previous shape) Fiesta to me - I think it’s mostly the design of the dashboard and the low roofline.

Fords are drat weird - the Mondeo is cramped inside too despite being an enormous car with an enormous trunk.

Was a major complaint with the departed Taurus as well- small cabin space for the overall dimensions of the car.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

Cross post from the VW thread: What is the consensus on the Audi S1?

Not even really sure if it’s hot enough to be a hot hatch.

Sorry to quote my own post but has anyone driven an S1?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I don't think they were ever available in the states so for many of the posters here "no."

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Test drove a Bolt today and I really liked it. Never have driven an EV before, it was so quiet and fast and handled really well too.

Problem is they are pretty far out of my price range, even used. Ugh.

maybe in a few years I guess.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Suburban Dad posted:

I don't think they were ever available in the states so for many of the posters here "no."

Ah that makes sense. Thanks.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

dissss posted:

I feel the same way, at least from the front seats. The Focus center stack and console is wider so the extra space doesn't really seem to affect the people up front other than making it easier to share the armrest.

Obviously the back seats are much better on the Focus. When I test drove the Focus ST the salesman had a broken foot and managed to get his boot in the back seat just fine. While the Fiesta's back seats are surprisingly usable, there's no way that would have worked.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
These are both hot I promise

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KakerMix posted:

These are both hot I promise

Obviously look at the hood bulge.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Elephanthead posted:

Obviously look at the hood bulge.

That is a scoop and it is real, no fake on this beast. turbo, intercooled, AND AWD

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

And snow tires lol

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

3 digit horsepower or no? All those buzz words don't mean poo poo to me otherwise. :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe combined?

:v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I feel attacked

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

take out the coolant tank and you could put a second engine in there

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks like I'm driving to Panama City to pick up another xB lol.

Everything else has disappointed me besides the Chevy Bolt, and I can't afford that so I'm sticking with what I know and like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Cross posting from the MZR thread: I think my throwout bearing is starting to go out.

Yesterday, after starting up the car, I drove about 1 mile to a stop sign to get onto the freeway. At the stop, I believe I had the clutch in and stick in 1st gear, I basically heard the same noise that the guy is demonstrating in the video below. I could've had the stick in neutral, and the clutch out, but I don't think that's what I typically do if I'm only going to be stopped very briefly. Whatever the case, when I let out the clutch, with the car in gear and drove through the intersection, the noise stopped.

I pulled over and popped the hood and had my fiance press the clutch in and out, rev it, etc and didn't notice anything the rest of drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EwJz1nm09c

I'm worried i'm getting into the sunk cost fallacy. I've already put $1500-2000 into the car in recent maintenance replacing the struts, shocks, LCAs, engine mounts, and most recently the oil cooler.

I've never had a car with a clutch go out on me, and I've never replaced one before. If my plan is to keep the car for a few more years until an appropriate EV comes out, I guess I'll try to find a shop to do this work, eventually.

Thanks for coming to my E/N / Terrible Car post.