Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I’m like 10 minutes in and Henry Cavill is absolutely loving fantastic as Geralt. He’s so good!!! He loving nailed it

Right? I couldn't be happier for him knowing how much of a fan he is of the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I am just absolutely floored by Cavill’s performance. It is literally perfect.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Arglebargle III posted:

Color contacts are always a mistake and especially in HD. Give the audience the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah so Ciri's actress doesn't have green eyes and Henry Cavill isn't a cat. CGI it in or give up, the contacts always look bad.

In the promo video for the showrunner who was like, "Is it crazy to start all three of these stories at once?" the answer was yes. The show is a lot weaker for jumping around.

I'm all for the colour contacts. I wish fantasy adaptations would lean into that kind of stuff more often. It's a breath of fresh air to me, even if Yen's look a bit off sometimes. I'd rather have it than not.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

esperterra posted:

I'm all for the colour contacts. I wish fantasy adaptations would lean into that kind of stuff more often. It's a breath of fresh air to me, even if Yen's look a bit off sometimes. I'd rather have it than not.

Same. I wish they'd leaned harder and given him the cat slits like nightman

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I am just absolutely floored by Cavill’s performance. It is literally perfect.

When he loses his poo poo in ep5 it's just wonderful.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

As for how they tell the stories, it's a bit off at first but I really came around to it. Especially once they all start catching up to eachother. The saga as a whole once you pass the short story collections is basically Ciri's story, with Geralt and Yen as the other leads. They throw enough lines of dialogue into each episode to let you know this stuff is not happening concurrently, and they don't treat it like some twist or big reveal, which probably helps a lot.

It's probably the best way they could have done it without sidelining both Yen and Ciri for the vast majority of this season. And I personally like the little tweaks and additions they did to flesh out some of the backstory stuff for Yen and Ciri, as they really aren't touched on a lot in the books and are mostly learned through the POV characters reflecting on it.

The real downside to this is (spoilers up to episode 7, and full book spoilers) is how they're painting Cahir early on. I can't tell if they intended to change the character so much so his face turn later is more dramatic, or if they painted him so insanely evil as a means of conveying how loving scary those memories are for Ciri in the book. That poo poo haunts her.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Show's good. It's very good.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've somewhat mixed feelings on the show, but overall I thought they got it mostly right.

-Geralt, Yenn, and Dandelion are all great, and they have really good chemistry together.
-Ciri I'm not sold on in general. The actress is fine, but I didn't really like most of what was going on in her story. In particular the dryad stuff was AWFUL and should have straight up been cut, IMO. Also by far the cheapest the show looked.
-I really feel like they shouldn't have tried to do the dragon in ep 6. It looks like garbage compared to Game of Thrones and I feel like they could have gotten away with obscuring it a lot more since they're in a freaking cave. In general the effects were very hit or miss because the Striga looks good as hell and the ghouls in ep 8 not so much.
-I feel like there is a weird, general lack of basic story exposition. Like they don't really spend much time setting up what the hell witchers are, they never explain what's up with the potions or the signs, etc. This is of course not a problem if you are familiar with the games/books, but combined with the non-linear storytelling, I can see it being very confusing and frankly off-putting for newcomers - they throw out so many goddamn place names and concepts out there in the first 3-4 episodes without any context whatsoever. Like you're really gonna mention the Conjunction of the Spheres off-handedly like that? This might not be a problem, but it certainly puts a lot of faith in the viewer to follow along and remember all this nonsense.
-Generally I hope they put more emphasis on the smaller more personal stories next seasons rather than the grand battle stuff, because it was just kind of a mess.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah I think they could have got away with not explaining anything -- like the books don't -- if they hadn't made the story a lot more complicated.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ok finished. Who's balls do i gotta tug to get another 4 epsidoes of that?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yeah, if I hadn't played the games I'd be going wtf every time someone mentions the Conjunction of the Spheres

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The rougher aspects of the production make me think of the stuff you see in SyFy cheese movies.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

etalian posted:

The rougher aspects of the production make me think of the stuff you see in SyFy cheese movies.

the material succeeds in elevating the failings of the production though

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I’m not even done with the pilot but I can confidently say this is much better than Watchmen. Wow, it is possible to have good adaptations folks

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I’m not even done with the pilot but I can confidently say this is much better than Watchmen. Wow, it is possible to have good adaptations folks

the bit with the striga is pretty much line for line and it's perfect
This show is all I needed it to be

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Geralt sounds like a person who can go weeks without saying a word to anyone but his horse (and regularly does). He speaks quietly because a horse doesn't need to actually understand you for you to keep talking to it. It's perfect.

esperterra posted:

...or if they painted him so insanely evil as a means of conveying how loving scary those memories are for Ciri in the book. That poo poo haunts her.

I think they keep coming back to the shot of Cintra burning for the same reason.

Lil Peeler posted:

Did anyone else notice the weird loving editing in episode 1's the 2nd scene coverage shot where Geralt is riding back to Blaviken. It looks like they just took a horse cutout and moved it along in a few different edits. Super bizarre and I chalk it up to an oversight but lol

I think that's just small details that don't show well while streaming, at least in low definition.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

After watching all 8, I'm pretty disappointed that there wasn't a fight scene that looked as cool as the one in the first episode.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just finished episode 3. Holy loving poo poo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It captures the feel of the books and the games.

Like he when he lectures evil snow white parody about his morality but then ends up banging her later on the pilot episode.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

After watching all 8, I'm pretty disappointed that there wasn't a fight scene that looked as cool as the one in the first episode.

Yeah, there is the part where he escapes the jail in Cintra that looked decent, but other than that first ep fight the choreography in the other eps aren't as great.

I can see why the reviewers hate the show, but for fans it's some good poo poo

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Enjoyed it a lot but it all felt extremely rushed, I think it’s fine to show that time passed and stuff happened with the characters without explicitly telling what, but dunno, I found it all a bit confusing (and I played the games and read one of the books).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I wonder if the show will include hints that the Elves are not native to this planet either

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
The show gets waaaaaaay better at episode 5. I’m thinking it really should have went 5, 2-4, 1

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Also, Lol that Sabrina basically gave up her uterus in exchange for nice tits

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Wow, Witcher is really being trashed by critics. Seems to largely boil down to excessive nudity, the confusing story jumps, slow pace, and subpar CGI. It's top critic rating on RT is just 33%.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

lmao.

(E3, 5, 6) That's honestly the one change that really drove me mental, the literal removal of the uterus during the glamouring. Being fertile or infertile as a mage has nothing to do with whether you glamour. Hell, not all mages are infertile! It also just felt weird to then continue on with Yen's quest to fix her fertility when she doesn't even have a uterus in the first place. Is a dragon heart going to conjure a new one up for her? A djinn could wish her a new one I guess but lmfao. IDK. It was a bit too on the nose. And could raise weird questions if this show runs long enough to learn about some very important parentage for some characters born of mages.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arglebargle III posted:

I wonder if the show will include hints that the Elves are not native to this planet either

They've already mentioned the Wild Hunt so I'd say yes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Arcsquad12 posted:

They've already mentioned the Wild Hunt so I'd say yes.

Yeah. The origins of the peoples and creatures who inhabit the Continent is not super relevant to the story in general, but when it comes to elves in particular I imagine it will be properly touched on if the series lasts long enough.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Oh that's what that was. Weird.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've seen a few reviews mention GoT (quite naturally) but they often refer to the final season bring divisive or bad when it's like, did you watch the show after season three it was loving awful.

As someone that couldn't get into game of thrones because it was glacial and the final boss was zombies I enjoy this raggedy rear end editor's nightmare a lot.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The witchiest.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

etalian posted:

Like he when he lectures evil snow white parody about his morality but then ends up banging her later on the pilot episode.

He's only part human, she's fine as a motherfucker.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I wish Netflix didn't spend an entire shows budget on three episodes and then let the rest of the episodes look like a Syfy show.
Altered Carbon had a similar problem.

Never the less this is a great adaptation but they could have pushed most of Ciri's journey to season 2.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

etalian posted:

loving yes dude

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Man the casting for Renfri was so on point. Casting in general is so on point.

SHOW GOOD

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Putting Dandelion at the banquet is a change I love. More Dandelion all the time.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

nessin posted:

Wow, Witcher is really being trashed by critics. Seems to largely boil down to excessive nudity, the confusing story jumps, slow pace, and subpar CGI. It's top critic rating on RT is just 33%.

gently caress that. You need to see what some of these “critics” are even saying:

https://ew.com/tv-reviews/2019/12/20/netflix-the-witcher-review/

These jokers watched like two episodes and then skipped to episode 5 and then gave it an F. What the gently caress is that poo poo.

You have to be loving kidding me with this clownery

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Roach's little affectionate headbutt in episode 6 is adorable. I work with a horse that's like that with myself and her owner, but likes to skin the kneecaps of anyone else. Also, Yarpin is pretty great in that episode too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I am a little disappointed that Sword of Destiny got abbreviated so much, because I really like that story. I understand why they changed it though because Eithne's dryad rebellion is a little too similar to Filivandrel's story in The Edge of The World so the show would just be repeating itself if it had done a full adaptation. At least the dryads are established when they come back to them around season 3 or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Arcsquad12 posted:

I am a little disappointed that Sword of Destiny got abbreviated so much, because I really like that story. I understand why they changed it though because Eithne's dryad rebellion is a little too similar to Filivandrel's story in The Edge of The World so the show would just be repeating itself if it had done a full adaptation. At least the dryads are established when they come back to them around season 3 or so

The stuff in Brokilon is probably the only fleshed out stuff from Ciri's backstory that didn't really land for me tbh. But, yeah, at least it's pre established for later.