Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

blatman posted:

As far as I know there is no guides for anything, but honestly if you're around that level just hire a tank or wizard mercenary and go apeshit. If you don't want your npc hireling doing all the work, buy a bunch of level appropriate Defiant gear and go apeshit yourself. What server are you on?

Erollisi/Nameless. I'll poke around with mercs and figure out what's up. Just tried to solo Emp Crush with my level 23 warrior and got stomped, oops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

!amicable posted:

Erollisi/Nameless. I'll poke around with mercs and figure out what's up. Just tried to solo Emp Crush with my level 23 warrior and got stomped, oops!

You could also create a new character on Miragul their new progression server that starts you out at a heroic character (level 85?) but you'd need to have a sub for that so might be out, nostalgia pull depending.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Naw, I'm looking to not pay, and also just to mess around with some classic content with the comfort of modern buffs. Not totally fresh characters, but functionally, super low plat, not relevant gear.

I'm not gonna lie, I am slightly confused about the strategy for mercs. The way your pay for them makes me think you want to only summon them when you're engaging stuff. Is that more or less right?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

!amicable posted:

Naw, I'm looking to not pay, and also just to mess around with some classic content with the comfort of modern buffs. Not totally fresh characters, but functionally, super low plat, not relevant gear.

I'm not gonna lie, I am slightly confused about the strategy for mercs. The way your pay for them makes me think you want to only summon them when you're engaging stuff. Is that more or less right?

The money you earn from killing stuff outweighs the cost pretty easily, unless they die a lot.

I generally just put mine away when I’m going back to town. The cool down on resummoning makes it not worth it to unsummon while you regenerate mana

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Found Almar's Guides, which helped me figure stuff out quick. The pace of EQ is really different from modern MMOs and I am not sure where I stand on it right now. Wild this thing is still kicking.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

In my opinion, post all your silly questions here if you can't find answers anywhere else, this game has a distinct lack of internet resources that are 2019-accurate and it'll help get some eq conversation going again

If it's a really dumb question PM me (I think I have those turned on anyway) and i'll see if I can help, answering eq questions is my favorite hobby

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
I am currently just going with plan "relive my failed childhood dream to play a necro". I am expecting to burn out somewhere along the line, but if I can revisit some old zones it'll be fine. I gather twinking is basically dead due to defiant gear?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Defiant is the go-to for leveling until 70-80. I’m in the late 70s point of leveling after moving my TLP characters to a live server.

For nostalgia, I’d try to get Defiant as much as would be possible. You can ask around in chat or PoK and some people may be willing to hand some off to you. It’s going to be better than anything you can get in-era.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Super quick and dirty memories from when it went free to play and we had a minor goon resurgence:

Install a map pack.
Good's: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3vS5YFyITSYfko5T1lZN2taOUdhczhaemU5Skp0U2xRY29EQkpoalRHYjduRzNrYmx6R2c
Brewall: http://www.eqmaps.info/

Pick one, or hell, install both. Whatever.

Find is your friend (Ctrl + F).
Zone Guide is your friend (open Map -> Zone Guide).

You can molo (aka, solo with a merc) until about the 70s pretty easily. Get a tank merc, in Plane of Knowledge. Hit up older zones (like, from the original 3 expansions) and he'll stomp through everything so long as you're staying close-ish to your level.

If you're looking for something explicit to do, go to Crescent Reach and follow the "Hero's Journey" in achievements. Or go to Crescent Reach, open your map / use Find and find quest NPCs. Talk to them, do quests until you're bored / outlevel the zone, go to the next zone.

Turn on AA auto-grant.

As mentioned - go the bazaar, buy defiant. Or don't. Your merc will be doing most of the work, and 1-50 is going to fly by.

Once you get to the 70s/80s, you start getting into more of the modern game, and will probably need to start boxing or grouping (lol at finding groups).

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Super quick and dirty memories from when it went free to play and we had a minor goon resurgence:

Install a map pack.
Good's: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3vS5YFyITSYfko5T1lZN2taOUdhczhaemU5Skp0U2xRY29EQkpoalRHYjduRzNrYmx6R2c
Brewall: http://www.eqmaps.info/

Pick one, or hell, install both. Whatever.

Find is your friend (Ctrl + F).
Zone Guide is your friend (open Map -> Zone Guide).

You can molo (aka, solo with a merc) until about the 70s pretty easily. Get a tank merc, in Plane of Knowledge. Hit up older zones (like, from the original 3 expansions) and he'll stomp through everything so long as you're staying close-ish to your level.

If you're looking for something explicit to do, go to Crescent Reach and follow the "Hero's Journey" in achievements. Or go to Crescent Reach, open your map / use Find and find quest NPCs. Talk to them, do quests until you're bored / outlevel the zone, go to the next zone.

Turn on AA auto-grant.

As mentioned - go the bazaar, buy defiant. Or don't. Your merc will be doing most of the work, and 1-50 is going to fly by.

Once you get to the 70s/80s, you start getting into more of the modern game, and will probably need to start boxing or grouping (lol at finding groups).
This is all really good stuff! I have been using a tank merc and slowly grinding my old druid and a new necro up. It's been good. The maps were a huge boost though, I was kind of just using ctrl+f and walking around blindly following zone lines.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I think the expansion launches in like a week, here's what I learned on beta:

-Paladins are a lot more playable now that you can heal yourself without switching targets with your basic heals, the heal proc AA is better and virtually every mob in the new zones is undead
-When I checked out the T1 gear all the nonvis and weapons were attunable, don't know about visibles but that might not be important because:
-T1 is way easier than when beta first started, I expect you could tank singles or even doubles here if you're capable of clearing the gmm howler mission without spending 10 minutes splitting every pull
-I only checked Velks and Kael for T2 zones but the mobs were fairly reasonable, virtually everything I tried was slowable with SK undead slow if you cast it 2 or 3 times or had someone with the tash clicker from plane of shadow
-hope you have IVU because you're running through zombies for days

I specifically tested zones with mishmash group comps and mercs to make sure the less insane people in my family guild had a reason to buy it and it seems like T1 is actually accessible this time, plus there aren't weird difficulty spikes or garbage "this progression mission required to access 2/3rds of the zones is harder than virtually everything else" like in TBL, that smoke trial requirement to get past Stratos was killer and it's really dumb that namers in Stratos scare me more than namers in Mearatas but what can you do, expansion's done

I did not test anything with a merc tank or mage/bst/nec pet, no idea how they stack up at the moment

I also noticed that if you're in a group that can only handle 1 or 2 mobs, there's a lot of spots where 2 is the most you're going to get in a pull unless you screw up terribly

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
They are also lowering mob strikethrough values, which is going to have the side effect of making RoS and TBL slightly easier to tank.

I started a 2nd box group of heroic characters to feed fellowship vitality to my main box group, but only half of them are actually gaining vitality. It's some weird bug because the fellowship window says "capped" but the vitality meter on the character sheet is empty and MQ2 even reports zero vitality points. My cleric and bard, though, are able to gain vitality so :shrug:

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

blatman posted:

I think the expansion launches in like a week, here's what I learned on beta:

-Paladins are a lot more playable now that you can heal yourself without switching targets with your basic heals, the heal proc AA is better and virtually every mob in the new zones is undead

Is this a ToV spell only thing? or is it a global change that will go in when tov launches?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I just logged in beta to check, it appears that the passthrough heals start at level 111 with Sincere Touch, then light at 112 and burst at 113

Now, things that have changed in the past week since I last checked:
-Melee weapons with dps, lifetap and remote healing procs also have sympathetic procs on the same items, this is going to be absolutely loving bonkers for the spammier classes! If your tank has some gear you can probably get away with using a pair of spell-spammy hybrids using remote healing weapons instead of an actual healer for a lot of content, rangers would be especially good for this considering how much they cast, enclosed for your arousal is a screenshot of the knight 2h and the melee remote healing 1hb

edit: also worth noting that one of the recent changes for pallies causes pally yaulp to autocast when you use aa stun/aa crush, pair the increased proc chance from pally yaulp with the large procs on everything and and all the undead mobs and I feel like paladin dps is going to be really good this expansion, I'm still sticking with SK though, gonna parse those sympathetic procs paired with lifetap spam later

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blatman fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 14, 2019

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I haven't touched eq1 since like 2000 or 2001, I don't know. I have memories of raiding and having my cleric epic and camping zordak ragefire and that's about it. some of my friends still play this and I got morbidly curious and reinstalled it because hey, i have an all access sub running for a few months more anyway.

I made a bard on FV and I'm following the hero's journey thing. I have a few questions though:

I have a skeleton merc tanking for me and everything dies yay (albeit very slowly), is there a better merc I can get at this point? Am I going to ever get any like... actual attacks to use on my bard or am I going to mostly be singing and auto attacking? I saw the damage songs, of course, I'm just not sure if they're better than me buffing my melee and just whacking things.

Can I reasonably molo to cap if I keep playing? I keep finding mixed opinions on this on the official forums. I see the hero's journey runs up to 85. If the answer is 'only for specific classes', then which ones? I made a bard because bards are thematically cool and I like force multiplier/buffing classes (and also being in demand).

What the hell is end game live raiding like now? I remember standing in corners looking down at my feet while I healed people. I can't find any videos that aren't from p99 or the TLP servers. I very much doubt I'll ever get to that point but I'm at least curious because games change over 20 years.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Tsurupettan posted:

I have a skeleton merc tanking for me and everything dies yay (albeit very slowly), is there a better merc I can get at this point?

Tank merc is the best for leveling. You can basically take yellow/red cons, np. Their usefulness peters out over 70. At that point healer merc is better.

Tsurupettan posted:

Am I going to ever get any like... actual attacks to use on my bard or am I going to mostly be singing and auto attacking?

Yes. There are some direct damage songs and then some AAs and discs come along.

Tsurupettan posted:

I saw the damage songs, of course, I'm just not sure if they're better than me buffing my melee and just whacking things.

For moloing, it wouldn't hurt to mix in damage songs and buffs. Also, if you don't know about /melody command yet, you can do /melody 1 2 3 4 and the client will automatically twist the songs in spell gems 1, 2, 3 and 4 with perfect efficiency until you do /stopsong or something else fucks up your casting. You don't have to do 1 2 3 4, you can do 4 5 6 8 1 9 and it will repeat that pattern.

Tsurupettan posted:

Can I reasonably molo to cap if I keep playing?

No, not reasonably.

Tsurupettan posted:

What the hell is end game live raiding like now? I remember standing in corners looking down at my feet while I healed people. I can't find any videos that aren't from p99 or the TLP servers. I very much doubt I'll ever get to that point but I'm at least curious because games change over 20 years.
lots of dancing around mob AEs and not standing in the fire. You basically have to use an audio trigger program to tell you how to react. A typical fight is a boss mob and then waves of smaller add mobs that spawn during the fight. Mix in some AOE spells that you have to dodge and emotes that you have to follow very specifically. One person doing the wrong thing at the wrong time can wipe the raid.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

If you want to get decent bard dps, one of the tricks later on when you get the Selo's Kick AA is to sing Amplification (level 30 song) constantly as it buffs selo kick and also buffs itself every time it reapplies, it lasts about a minute so you can just toss it in your melody hotkey so it refreshes at like 13 seconds and as long as you don't get stunned you'll kick like a madcunt. Looking through my logs for when I did some TBL missions yesterday and my biggest kick was 289k damage but that was with burns running

Another thing to do is use weapons with good procs paired with the level 71 song Jonthan's Mightful Caretaker, this song overwrites overhaste song, is self only but it provides overhaste and a hefty proc mod

I recommend boxing the bard with a mage, bst or tank, bards have a hell of a time grinding without someone they can buff and they can't tank or heal worth a drat but if you pair bard songs with a knight you can usually forego a healer entirely for a lot of content if you self heal proactively

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

One in the Bum posted:

Tank merc is the best for leveling. You can basically take yellow/red cons, np. Their usefulness peters out over 70. At that point healer merc is better.

Yeah I read that elsewhere, I just mean if there's a better tank merc I should be looking for than the /claim skeleton merc or if they're all the same.

One in the Bum posted:

Yes. There are some direct damage songs and then some AAs and discs come along.

For moloing, it wouldn't hurt to mix in damage songs and buffs. Also, if you don't know about /melody command yet, you can do /melody 1 2 3 4 and the client will automatically twist the songs in spell gems 1, 2, 3 and 4 with perfect efficiency until you do /stopsong or something else fucks up your casting. You don't have to do 1 2 3 4, you can do 4 5 6 8 1 9 and it will repeat that pattern.

I've got my melody set up (Selos and melee buffs), I just haven't worked in any damage songs yet since I can only really twist four songs right now. I read later that people can twist like 6 or 7. It sounds like, between your post and blatman's, everything gets better when I get into AAs.

One in the Bum posted:

lots of dancing around mob AEs and not standing in the fire. You basically have to use an audio trigger program to tell you how to react. A typical fight is a boss mob and then waves of smaller add mobs that spawn during the fight. Mix in some AOE spells that you have to dodge and emotes that you have to follow very specifically. One person doing the wrong thing at the wrong time can wipe the raid.

Sounds like EQ2's raiding except with more people. EQ2 raiding is basically using ACT (our dps parser over there) and writing triggers that read the chatlog and make a noise because the game doesn't really give you much of a 'tell' for mechanics beyond saying something in the chat window. Same 'one mistake = wipe' design direction as well.

blatman posted:

I recommend boxing the bard with a mage, bst or tank, bards have a hell of a time grinding without someone they can buff and they can't tank or heal worth a drat but if you pair bard songs with a knight you can usually forego a healer entirely for a lot of content if you self heal proactively

Maybe like SK/Bard could be fun? Or paladin, though I think I recall SK being more offensive... Does auto attack pass through to target's target when assisting or would my box need to actually switch targets? I don't really like managing multiple windows so thinking about the lowest barrier to entry for this. Back in the older days on EQ2 I boxed tank+bard at one point and I'd just leave my bard's songs and autoattack permanently enabled and pull things in melee range of them while they followed me.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I get incredible mileage out of sk bard, the sk takes a shitload of time and effort to get adequate gear, augs and AA but I can focus nearly 100% on playing the sk while leaving the bard on autofollow singing songs and just quickly alt tab, hit my "/assist main /pause 3 /attack" hotkey and then tab back into the sk, only other upkeep things I do are tabbing to bard to pop cooldowns and reapply aa selos every couple of minutes. Once you get good at positioning an autofollowing melee you don't have to deal with manually moving him around at all since you can just strafe around to get the bard hitting something

Passthrough melee doesn't exist in Eq1 so I deal with the target switching thing by just leaving my bard on his own target and shooting out aoe aggro every so often, I can kill like 2 or 3 things with the buffed SK by the time the bards target is dead but sometimes I micromanage a bit and when I see a mob getting low I tab to bard and switch him to something with higher hp, I do this to steal killshots on the SK for Mortal Coil procs

It's worth mentioning that the Rigelon's Reckless Renewal line that increases the crit chance of heals by like 25% seems to be modified by stringed instruments and also allows uncrittable heals to start critting when it's running. This means your healer merc gains a ton of really unpredictable healing throughput and also if you bandolier a pair of heal-the-tank proc weapons on bard and pop abilities that increase proc rate you're gonna be churning out a good amount of burst healing to help cover any gaps between lifetap crits and merc heals landing

Bard is the perfect box to go with an SK if you don't really want high-effort boxing but still want to kill more mobs, once you get good at managing all the bards group cooldowns and the sks burns you can mow down a lot of otherwise difficult group content with minimal backup and if there's too many mobs to handle tanking them all at once you can just use your aoe mez melody

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I actually already got started on the SK before waiting for a reply, got it to 10 and it's a blast already. Got my merc and my bone buddy (who is sadly falling behind in scaling rip) and ready to go. Much faster this time around since I actually know where I'm going, of course.

My bard is 20 so I'll just get through 10-20 today on my SK and then start grouping them and just ride through Hero's Journey to 85. Will bite the bullet and sub the second account since I can use the box for EQ2 as well.

I guess I'll use a healer and rogue merc with melee buffs from my bard? Or should I still be using the overpowered tank merc until it starts to fall off?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Pretty sure the tank merc does more dps than rogue at that level, plus he's a better tank than your SK will be for the next ~60 levels.

I'd run at least one tank merc for sure and you can decide if you need a healer based on downtime, otherwise run tank+dps.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Since you're 2boxing, don't stress over weapon skills falling behind because you can just duel your box and melee his merc for skillups like it was a mob

I wrote an SK guide for my guild about a year ago, a lot of the information is either inaccurate now or will be inaccurate when tov comes out so once I redo it I'll link it here but that won't be for a couple of weeks at best

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Tsurupettan posted:

I have a skeleton merc tanking for me and everything dies yay (albeit very slowly), is there a better merc I can get at this point? Am I going to ever get any like... actual attacks to use on my bard or am I going to mostly be singing and auto attacking? I saw the damage songs, of course, I'm just not sure if they're better than me buffing my melee and just whacking things.

When you get boastful bellow, it's extremely OP for quite a while. It becomes more in-line later on (like the 90s). Starting out it's often easiest to just bellow, fade, wait for the bellow bomb to go off, rebellow, fade again, etc. So you're not taking damage the whole time, just letting bellow do it's job. The key is to let it drop off to get that huge hit. Then you're fading while it ticks down, so you're not taking any damage.

Aside from that, some other good bard tricks:

- Charming. Once you get Tune esp, charm lasts even longer. It's a good way to let something else take damage and do decent dps. If you're molo'ing, always have charm ready. Different expacs have different charm level limits, some times it's more useful than others.
- Nuke. My raid burn in fact is [current nuke] [last expac's nuke] [group dps song] repeat.

Bellowing and nuking both use a lot of endurance / mana respectively, but with out of combat regen, will still be faster. And give you a pee break.

So yeah, starting out, mostly just auto-attack while singing some songs and your merc does the work, but it definitely gets way more involved and powerful.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Tsurupettan posted:

Yeah I read that elsewhere, I just mean if there's a better tank merc I should be looking for than the /claim skeleton merc or if they're all the same.

They're all the same. You can upgrade by being subbed. That will give you the option to get journeyman mercs. Level 1 journeyman is available by default and levels 2 through 5 can be unlocked through questing later on around levels 75-85.

Honestly though, and this may be controversial but I'm gonna say it anyways, if you're going to box on live servers, get MQ2 from redguides.com. It's completely legit on live as long as you don't AFK.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

ToV trip report, day 1:

Did a couple quests in EW, 2 out of the 3 needed for..merc achievement I think? 3rd quest npc wasn't up, apparently it's down on a bunch of servers and it's being manually popped as GMs sober up. Our group was fairly low dps and I was the only one with decent gear (sk), mobs seemed to die at a decent pace and the 6 or so namers we picked up by tracking across the zone went down like sacks of rocks

Went to Great Divide, did the 3 merc tasks and got like 25% of a level for killing a few mobs, achievement exp this expansion is nutty

All the gear we've found has been attunable including the T1 visibles

One thing I can't figure out is what to do with Crystallized Velium Ore, it's no trade and tradeskill flagged but there's no info anywhere on it, I'm wondering if I passed on a bunch of tradeskill tier tokens

Mobs don't hit too hard either, if I was proactive about lifetapping I could 2h pretty much whatever but I have max aa/augs/group gear so ymmv but I feel like this is EoK 2.0 with sellable T1 gear

edit: got a crystallized velium ore and a crystallized precious velium ore (https://items.eqresource.com/items.php?id=163797) but there's no information online for this, people say the first one is like a diminished muhbis for ToV but what the hell is the second one?

blatman fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 19, 2019

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

I have a strange hankering to play a janky old school mmo and I’m not really interested in the Classic EQ experience so much as whatever it is now. Is there a good guide or handholdy way someone can take me to adjusting my brain to how to play this dang game? I want to just get to the point where I understand the interface better and just how to navigate and level and go to dungeons with guildies or random nerds.

I’m a WoW and Asheron’s Call veteran if that helps. I could probably phrase this question better because it’s very broad but I would just like patient people to help explain things I guess.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Sarkozymandias posted:

I’m a WoW and Asheron’s Call veteran if that helps. I could probably phrase this question better because it’s very broad but I would just like patient people to help explain things I guess.

I’ve been playing and replaying the classic servers for the last decade or so and recently moved my guys to a live server.

If you’ve got basic questions about how the UI operates or how to install a UI mod, I could help with that.

If you wanted to know how to go to up to 75th level era dungeons or content, I’m happy to help as well.

But the later on stuff is like deciphering ancient hieroglyphs to me. People post about how they play late level stuff and none of it makes sense to me, so you’re definitely not alone in that.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Paging master Zliz.. are we ever going to see an updated UI? I miss it a heck of a lot.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

koreban posted:

I’ve been playing and replaying the classic servers for the last decade or so and recently moved my guys to a live server.

If you’ve got basic questions about how the UI operates or how to install a UI mod, I could help with that.

If you wanted to know how to go to up to 75th level era dungeons or content, I’m happy to help as well.

But the later on stuff is like deciphering ancient hieroglyphs to me. People post about how they play late level stuff and none of it makes sense to me, so you’re definitely not alone in that.

There’s so much quality of life stuff in the New Builds that I don’t think I’m psychologically equipped to go to a FULL 1999-rear end MMO. The only nostalgia fix I really feel a yearning for is that sense that people are gifting me with trash I love and that there is a community of people who want to do odd things for no clear reason, like the free month I played EQ back in like 2000 where I played a Ranger and someone gave me a fine steel longsword and I really wanted an ivy etched tunic and I fell off Kelethin a lot.

EDIT: Incidentally I have no interest in Ranging but I am very taken with the ideas of paladins, shadow knights, bards, and monks.

Sarkozymandias fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 21, 2019

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you just want some twink gear to hang out,
That’s easily arranged.

The low level stuff is especially fun these days especially because of the quality of life stuff. You can virtually do any of the events in level era with mercs.

The only real downside I see to live servers is that they don’t have Agents of Change to spawn instanced versions of raid/event zones, so when you want to, say, kill the Queen in Chardok, you have to find her up. In my experience, that’s less likely to be the case than having to set up tracking or park an alt to watch for the names you want.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

koreban posted:

If you just want some twink gear to hang out,
That’s easily arranged.

The low level stuff is especially fun these days especially because of the quality of life stuff. You can virtually do any of the events in level era with mercs.

The only real downside I see to live servers is that they don’t have Agents of Change to spawn instanced versions of raid/event zones, so when you want to, say, kill the Queen in Chardok, you have to find her up. In my experience, that’s less likely to be the case than having to set up tracking or park an alt to watch for the names you want.

Ya this is a huge quality of life item that keeps me from ever playing again. If you do a progression server you have to have apps that shall not be named just to possibly do stuff at the time it was designed. The world was really never designed for the number of players it gets in modern day playing and it shows fairly clearly.

Etherealm
Aug 18, 2004

blatman posted:

ToV trip report, day 1:

Did a couple quests in EW, 2 out of the 3 needed for..merc achievement I think? 3rd quest npc wasn't up, apparently it's down on a bunch of servers and it's being manually popped as GMs sober up. Our group was fairly low dps and I was the only one with decent gear (sk), mobs seemed to die at a decent pace and the 6 or so namers we picked up by tracking across the zone went down like sacks of rocks

Went to Great Divide, did the 3 merc tasks and got like 25% of a level for killing a few mobs, achievement exp this expansion is nutty

All the gear we've found has been attunable including the T1 visibles

One thing I can't figure out is what to do with Crystallized Velium Ore, it's no trade and tradeskill flagged but there's no info anywhere on it, I'm wondering if I passed on a bunch of tradeskill tier tokens

Mobs don't hit too hard either, if I was proactive about lifetapping I could 2h pretty much whatever but I have max aa/augs/group gear so ymmv but I feel like this is EoK 2.0 with sellable T1 gear

edit: got a crystallized velium ore and a crystallized precious velium ore (https://items.eqresource.com/items.php?id=163797) but there's no information online for this, people say the first one is like a diminished muhbis for ToV but what the hell is the second one?

The second one might be for the TS earring that is going to come up in January.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

PyRosflam posted:

Ya this is a huge quality of life item that keeps me from ever playing again. If you do a progression server you have to have apps that shall not be named just to possibly do stuff at the time it was designed. The world was really never designed for the number of players it gets in modern day playing and it shows fairly clearly.

I played for a decade on TLP servers and the craziest I ever got for 3rd party apps was GINA for audio triggers, HotKeyNet to send keystrokes to my other boxes, and ShowEQ for maps.

The only absolutely necessary one out of those, honestly, was HotKeyNet so I didn’t have 5 keyboards on my desk. I could and often did survive without the others.

Live servers have me genuinely considering getting MQ2. If nothing else than for the follow feature for alts not to get stuck on terrain.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Anyone who isn't using MQ on a Live server is just drat near being autistically stubborn. The vast majority of players are using it to some degree. Map wise it's a whole lot easier to type /target MobName in game and have it tell you if it's up along with a line on in game map to show you where it is and how to get to it than go to ShowEQ and search for it. If you want to be really paranoid just don't use it for long term AFK botting.

TLP servers are no different, there's still MQ like programs for it including warping, which I've personally used at the start of most TLP's to do the Felwithe to Kelethin note delivery quest thousands of times, leaving it chain warping / turning in completely AFK to get hundreds of plat on the first day of server launch and never once had a problem or even a GM send me a whisper. They straight up don't give a poo poo unless you're ruining other people's fun and getting reported.

Everquestbot.com is my preferred TLP MQ.

Tehran 1979 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 22, 2019

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I’ve been on a journey of old MMOs the last few years, but have never played Everquest. Like ever. Asherons call is the best game ever made, in my opinion, but I’ve also been enjoying DDO lately.

I’m eyeing giving this a go, is the model basically: buy latest expansion and also subscribe? Having a hard time figuring out what the actual cost structure is and what the benefits are to subbing.

Any classes I should just totally avoid? Classes that stand out to me just reading about them are magician, beastlord, shaman, druid, necromancer.

Ort fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 23, 2019

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Subscription gives you the ability to be viable at higher levels (can get Alternate Advancement points past the piddly f2p cap, mercs that aren't garbage, gear better than tier 1, automatically get a ton of free AA while leveling) and expansion gets you all the expansions you're missing, which should just be..2 I think? You can realistlcally stay free to play until useful AA start showing up at like 55 and then sub and click the autogrant button and you're golden until close to the level cap.

Stay away from tanks and necros, tanks because of the massive time investment required to be better than a mage/bst pet and necros because they're obnoxious to play (especially if you start raiding holy poo poo that's a lot of dots to manage, hope you like swapping full spell sets between dot applications to keep like 30 up) I always recommend beastlord to people since they do good damage, their pets are good tanks, their debuffs turn mobs into gigantic chumps, they can feign death, they provide good buffs and they're reasonably involved (you cast a lot of spells, meleeing, manage pet but that's easy) so you won't get bored and you can pop a healer mercenary and kill stuff pretty much anywhere you want. Beastlord is also a really good farming class for current content bazaar loot because you can murder rares for gear and then sell it to people who can't, depending on the rare all you'll need is a good pet focus earring and a healer merc. Only problem with bst is you have no easy way of splitting mobs and your pet has no aoe aggro so if you get an add you're gonna have to swap his target to build aggro on everything

tl;dr subscribe at 55ish, play a beastlord

blatman posted:

Subscription gives you the ability to be viable at higher levels (can get Alternate Advancement points past the piddly f2p cap, mercs that aren't garbage, gear better than tier 1, automatically get a ton of free AA while leveling) and expansion gets you all the expansions you're missing, which should just be..2 I think? You can realistlcally stay free to play until useful AA start showing up at like 55 and then sub and click the autogrant button and you're golden until close to the level cap.

Stay away from tanks and necros, tanks because of the massive time investment required to be better than a mage/bst pet and necros because they're obnoxious to play (especially if you start raiding holy poo poo that's a lot of dots to manage, hope you like swapping full spell sets between dot applications to keep like 30 up) I always recommend beastlord to people since they do good damage, their pets are good tanks, their debuffs turn mobs into gigantic chumps, they can feign death, they provide good buffs and they're reasonably involved (you cast a lot of spells, meleeing, manage pet but that's easy) so you won't get bored and you can pop a healer mercenary and kill stuff pretty much anywhere you want. Beastlord is also a really good farming class for current content bazaar loot because you can murder rares for gear and then sell it to people who can't, depending on the rare all you'll need is a good pet focus earring and a healer merc. Only problem with bst is you have no easy way of splitting mobs and your pet has no aoe aggro so if you get an add you're gonna have to swap his target to build aggro on everything

tl;dr subscribe at 55ish, play a beastlord

That is really helpful, thank you. So I don't need the latest expansion until 55+?

How would playing a beastlord be different than choosing a magician or shaman, playstyle wise? I tried looking at the spell lists but they are freakin' huge so I got kind of lost.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ort posted:

That is really helpful, thank you. So I don't need the latest expansion until 55+?

How would playing a beastlord be different than choosing a magician or shaman, playstyle wise? I tried looking at the spell lists but they are freakin' huge so I got kind of lost.

The level cap right now is 115, so 55 is relatively low, by comparison.

As for the spells...

Beastlord is a hybrid class between Monk and Shaman, plus a pet (warder). Their spells start out the exact same as Shamans, only many levels later. Eventually they get their own line, however they’re largely like 80% of what a shaman’s spell can do, plus melee and a pet.

Shamans are full support/healer/debuff class with some dps, however they make other better at dps more than do a ton themselves.

Magicians are pure dps with a stable of pets to choose from for the application they need. They have very little (but highly desired) support spells for others, can conjure gear for pets which turn them up to 13, and they do really good dps with their nukes. It’s a solid choice, but I would still second the beastlord suggestion over a mage, unless you really like the stand back and nuke caster archetype.

koreban posted:

The level cap right now is 115, so 55 is relatively low, by comparison.

As for the spells...

Beastlord is a hybrid class between Monk and Shaman, plus a pet (warder). Their spells start out the exact same as Shamans, only many levels later. Eventually they get their own line, however they’re largely like 80% of what a shaman’s spell can do, plus melee and a pet.

Shamans are full support/healer/debuff class with some dps, however they make other better at dps more than do a ton themselves.

Magicians are pure dps with a stable of pets to choose from for the application they need. They have very little (but highly desired) support spells for others, can conjure gear for pets which turn them up to 13, and they do really good dps with their nukes. It’s a solid choice, but I would still second the beastlord suggestion over a mage, unless you really like the stand back and nuke caster archetype.

Cool, I prefer melee usually so sounds like beastlord would be a good choice. I always like tanky melee/magic hybrids, I don't love pets but it sounds like it'd still be the best choiec. Is there a discord everyone hangs out in for noob questions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Ort posted:

You don't need the latest expansion until you can do some of its content, which starts at like 110 or 115. Many years EQ started making all their expacs purely for people at the level cap.

Usually the expansion introduces a handful of new zones for group and raiding content, and each zone has its own quest lines (think WoW, but a lot clunkier because this is EQ) and achievements to do. But it's all for people to start at when they're max level from whatever the previous expac was.

You'll want to sub mid-50s as noted, but to be honest you'll get bored long before you get near level cap and want the latest expac.