Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Rontalvos posted:

For babbys first NAS, long term photo storage and backup with RAID (in addition to an off-site backup) and a Plex server I've promised my parents they will have access to remotely, is a Synology 1019+ an alright solution filled with some shucked drives from this Best Buy sale?

Synology and QNAP are both easy to manage and set up apps or remote access. If you have that much data that you need 5 bays then go for it.

The 1019 has a quad core cpu that should handle transcoding well so would be a good choice for video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

And if you want something DIY that'll also, unlike most other options, protect your data from silent data-corruption, there's FreeNAS.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

And if you want something DIY that'll also, unlike most other options, protect your data from silent data-corruption, there's FreeNAS.
That is great but I really like being able to grow my array one drive at a time.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Picking up one of the 4u 12 bay Rosewill chassis locally tomorrow morning to move my FreeNAS array into. Hopefully this will prevent me from the hearing damage the 2u CiDesign chassis I had it in previously was causing me. Nothing running in the rack right now other than the USG Pro and the HP 5130 switch and honestly my 1080ti Folding@home @70% fan is more than enough to drown that out. Ahhhh serenity.

Time to play musical cases and Intel Haswell CPUs tomorrow.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Rontalvos posted:

For babbys first NAS, long term photo storage and backup with RAID (in addition to an off-site backup) and a Plex server I've promised my parents they will have access to remotely, is a Synology 1019+ an alright solution filled with some shucked drives from this Best Buy sale?

I got one last year and it's been serving me well for tv/movies/anime hoarding needs.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Finally got around to bypassing the expander in my old Rackable SE3016 with an Intel RES2SV240, 6Gb/s here we come

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rontalvos posted:

go with 5x of the 14TB or whatever, do RAIDZ/whatever with 1 drive redundancy, and probably yes? That would be 56 GB usable.

(You will want something else for backup though, regardless)

it really depends on the resolution and quantity of your photo stuff (are you a wedding shooter with a 645Z? you need way more) and your plex stuff (is this dvd or 1080p or 720p or what, and how many shows/seasons), and how much your parents need you to back up.

How much data do you plan to use in the near future?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 21, 2019

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

go with 5x of the 14TB or whatever, do RAIDZ/whatever with 1 drive redundancy, and probably yes? That would be 56 GB usable. You will want something else for backup though.

it really depends on the resolution and quantity of your photo stuff (are you a wedding shooter with a 645Z? you need way more) and your plex stuff (is this dvd or 1080p or 720p or what, and how many shows/seasons), and how much your parents need you to back up.

How much data do you plan to use in the near future?

I've got about 8tb or so of tv/movies which is ever-expanding now that 4k content is available, and I've got about 10yrs of DSLR ownership, family vacations, etc for both myself and girlfriend, probably 4tb+, no more than 3 users of Plex at the same time, and that would be a rarity.

Seems like this is the one to go with. I didn't see much for black Friday, any chance of a pre Christmas sale?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
You can build a NAS cheaper than a similarly performing Synology. This guide gives a lot of options. https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/guide-nas-killer-4-0-fast-quiet-power-efficient-and-flexible-starting-at-125/667

Benefits to doing this mostly are you can give yourself extra hard drives bays to allow for future expansion. If you need more plex streams the same site has a good guide on offloading plex to a cheap ~$100 prebuilt system with a modern version of intel quicksync. https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/guide-hardware-transcoding-the-jdm-way-quicksync-and-nvenc/1408

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Seeing as you can get a e5-2603v3 for less than 20 bucks on ebay to platform-enable, as long as you are reasonably handy and have built a PC before, and plan to put a GPU in it for Plex transcoding, I'm inclined to recommend you build a server-ish grade FreeNAS box.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CopperHound posted:

That is great but I really like being able to grow my array one drive at a time.
Yep, that is one of the down-sides still. Ahrens is still working on raidz expansion, but implementing it without a block pointer rewrite is not a small feat - plus he's working on it for both FreeBSDs implementation and what will become OpenZFS, iirc.

QNAP and Synology have the advantage of being complete turn-key appliances, which definitely does have an appeal.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Crunchy Black posted:

Seeing as you can get a e5-2603v3 for less than 20 bucks on ebay to platform-enable, as long as you are reasonably handy and have built a PC before, and plan to put a GPU in it for Plex transcoding, I'm inclined to recommend you build a server-ish grade FreeNAS box.

If you're going this route, there's really no reason to stick with an E5-2603v3 from what I can see. It's like :10bux: or so to bump up to a E5-2620v3 and that gets you +50% base frequency, turbo, and twice the threads.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
gently caress. Now I want to upgrade from my E3-1220v1 and throw in another vdev "just in case" I somehow run low on storage, despite having 10TB left and filling it at a rate of well under <10GB/day. drat it, thread, what are you guys doing to me?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I eyed $400-$500 Synology NASes for years until I decided to build an 8-core Ryzen NAS for under $500 (not including the drives).

$200 CPU
$100 Mobo
$100 RAM
$100 PSU/Case

Being able to run both Windows and MacOS vms at the same time is nice, and eventually I’ll pick up a modern GPU that I’ll be able to pass through and game with. It runs Pi Hole, CUPS for printing from anywhere, Homebridge to add HomeKit functionality to cheap Raspberry Pi webcams, all of my devices automatically VPN into it when I’m not at home, and I share my Plex with anybody who asks for it. It’s pretty great.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
You can also make the Synology equivalent of a Hackintosh with this:

https://xpenology.org

Might be worth looking into, depending on hardware

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

THF13 posted:

You can build a NAS cheaper than a similarly performing Synology. This guide gives a lot of options. https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/guide-nas-killer-4-0-fast-quiet-power-efficient-and-flexible-starting-at-125/667

Benefits to doing this mostly are you can give yourself extra hard drives bays to allow for future expansion. If you need more plex streams the same site has a good guide on offloading plex to a cheap ~$100 prebuilt system with a modern version of intel quicksync. https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/guide-hardware-transcoding-the-jdm-way-quicksync-and-nvenc/1408

As someone who's become a bit disillusioned with these builds (switching my anniversary 1 out for an anniversary 2 due to USB issues), while the builds themselves are great, you don't really need hardware transcoding when you have stupid amounts of threads

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You don't want hardware transcoding unless your target device is a mobile device, because hardware transcoding looks loving wretched.
A modern CPU with lots of threads and x264 set to slow speed at a good CRF cf. source resolution will ensure much better quality encoding at realtime speeds, iirc.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Unless you are really doing a lot of drives or something and really really need a ton of expansion slots, it seems hard to argue with the X470D4U for a NAS build at the moment. Slap a 1600 in it for cost or you can go nuts with a 12C or 16C if you want.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Unless you are really doing a lot of drives or something and really really need a ton of expansion slots, it seems hard to argue with the X470D4U for a NAS build at the moment. Slap a 1600 in it for cost or you can go nuts with a 12C or 16C if you want.

Hell yeah that’s what I’d been looking for, I had been checking asrockrack for am4 stuff before but glad it has shown up now. Having the Ast2500 for a nas is excellent.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

D. Ebdrup posted:

You don't want hardware transcoding unless your target device is a mobile device, because hardware transcoding looks loving wretched.
A modern CPU with lots of threads and x264 set to slow speed at a good CRF cf. source resolution will ensure much better quality encoding at realtime speeds, iirc.

I am blind and I am good with the quality nvenc gives even on a large monitor. :bahgawd:

I also share my media with up to 4 other people and with the patched nvidia driver to allow more than two CUDA transcoding streams, everything is cool and it is not pegging my CPU.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 21, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

EVIL Gibson posted:

I am blind and I am good with the quality nvenc gives even on a large monitor. :bahgawd:

I also share my media with up to 4 other people and with the patched nvidia driver to allow more than two CUDA transcoding streams, everything is cool and it is not pegging my CPU.
I'm also legally blind (as in not allowed to get a drivers license), but even I can see the artefacting that comes of using hardware transcoding :shrug:

In addition, CRF neatly solves the issue that CBR, which is "normally" used for archiving, has: namely that you're wasting diskspace which CRF optimizes for by using more data in the scenes with more movement.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

D. Ebdrup posted:

QNAP and Synology have the advantage of being complete turn-key appliances, which definitely does have an appeal.

Also their size. I looked at rolling my own but realised the more compact I wanted it to be the harder it got finding parts that would all fit together with the right clearances

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's a new Gigabyte W-3200 board launched, which didn't really interest me that much. That is, until I saw that there's a new SlimSAS connector which connects 8 disks via a very small form-factor connector - which could be very interesting for Mini-ITX solutions?

Hopefully they don't require being hung off the PCH and can hang off Denverton SoCs too.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
I upgraded my gaming machine and moved the old guts to a FreeNAS machine. It worked well with FreeNAS 11.1, but the FreeBSD loader in 11.2 shits the bed. The boot menu works fine, and it seems to be booting, then the system hangs. The last thing I get on the console is "EFI Framebuffer Information" followed by what looks like a few lines of, well, information about the framebuffer.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot/work around this? It's an ASUS P8Z77 motherboard if anyone cares.

e: Worked around it by loading a new copy of 11.2 straight to an SSD and booting from that. Lots of moving parts to go wrong when booting from a USB drive, and apparently FreeNAS now discourages using USB sticks as boot volumes because they've changed the way things work and do more reading/writing to them now. Whatever, now my old EVO 850 has a new home. Now to see if it's worth trying to set it up as a cache drive somehow....

pgroce fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 22, 2019

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

D. Ebdrup posted:

There's a new Gigabyte W-3200 board launched,

Hopefully they don't require being hung off the PCH and can hang off Denverton SoCs too.

Where are the PCIe switch(es)!?

e: ah, they're auto-bifurcating (48 lanes off a Cascade Lake)

slightly misleading block diagram imo

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

There's a new Gigabyte W-3200 board launched, which didn't really interest me that much. That is, until I saw that there's a new SlimSAS connector which connects 8 disks via a very small form-factor connector - which could be very interesting for Mini-ITX solutions?

I'm not familiar with workstation stuff, and I'm confused by the RAM configuration on that board. What's going on with the "6 channel, 8 DIMM" thing, and the diagram makes it even more confusing. :confused:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

D. Ebdrup posted:

Seems like AMD is going to be the better budget Workstation build now days anyways.

Santa came early and brought me a nice IBM 42U

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i'm really excited to take advantage of those PCIe Gen3 x0 slots

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Atomizer posted:

I'm not familiar with workstation stuff, and I'm confused by the RAM configuration on that board. What's going on with the "6 channel, 8 DIMM" thing, and the diagram makes it even more confusing. :confused:

It's pretty much as dumb as it sounds. If you use all eight DIMMs, you'll have an unbalanced configuration and you'll have less memory throughput than if you used six.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's pretty much as dumb as it sounds. If you use all eight DIMMs, you'll have an unbalanced configuration and you'll have less memory throughput than if you used six.

So basically for if you needed as much capacity as possible at the expense of bandwidth? If I'm reading the diagram correctly, the two "paired" sets of modules each share a channel? Half channel bandwidth for each? :stare:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Don't worry your local accountant will say the price point is great and totally ignore that fact, so you can enjoy this board soon. :smithicide:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean the solution is just don't use two of the slots. If you only use six equal DIMMs, which should probably allow for enough RAM for most people in here, you'll see full six channel performance.

Supermicro does this too on some of their boards.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
There are plenty of applications where more memory is more valuable than ultimate memory performance. The moment you have to swap that difference becomes irrelevant.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

CommieGIR posted:

Seems like AMD is going to be the better budget Workstation build now days anyways.

Santa came early and brought me a nice IBM 42U

Hah I saw that craigslist ad. Glad you were able to make use of it.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Atomizer posted:

The other two ram slots are for fake RGB ram so it makes you look like you've spent more money than you did.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

RAAAAAAAAAAAAM

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

priznat posted:

RAAAAAAAAAAAAM
Who turned off memory size and timing caching?
Because that, right there, is why it was invented.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

Who turned off memory size and timing caching?
Because that, right there, is why it was invented.

We are doing drive performance testing on arrays at work and found a big difference when filling all memory channels and, welp!

And yes we invalidate cache etc so it isn’t just local caching everything into RAM for the cache :haw:

Array of 16 Gen3 x4 nvram drives connected via switch :getin:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I got one of these drives for xmas. https://www.costco.com/seagate-backup-plus-hub-8tb-desktop-hard-drive-with-rescue-data-recovery-services.product.100458004.html

Can I shuck it and use it as an internal drive in my plex server? No raid or anything setup. Is there anything I need to do other than rip it from the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Trastion posted:

I got one of these drives for xmas. https://www.costco.com/seagate-backup-plus-hub-8tb-desktop-hard-drive-with-rescue-data-recovery-services.product.100458004.html

Can I shuck it and use it as an internal drive in my plex server? No raid or anything setup. Is there anything I need to do other than rip it from the case?

You sure can and you can use flat-head screw drivers, a credit card, or a kitchen dining knife to pry those suckers open. Just look on Youtube if you need help doing it for the model name.