Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Helicopters can have wings.

They don’t have control surfaces though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kesper North posted:

The CIA misidentified a piece of missile as part of an MH-17 and was corrected by Twitter:

Extremely relevant typo.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

hobbesmaster posted:

Helicopters can have wings.

They don’t have control surfaces though!

A compound helicopter can have wings! I just learned what those were called today. (They're called compound helicopters because they have wings also.)

Platystemon posted:

Extremely relevant typo.

lmao so it is. This morning started at 4:30 AM in another country, and I was reading something about Donbas separatists blaming Russian troops for MH17 on the trip.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The AH-56 Cheyenne had some pretty boss wings and a pusher prop!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Anyone know what Biden was referencing when he said China would need a 17 year military build up to achieve parity with the US? Sorry if this is skating too close to present politics, but chinachat has been largely civil recently, and I’m more curious if the figure is reasonable, not if Biden was being senile or some such. It seems short to me, but 17 years is a long time and I’m no expert.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Pontius Pilate posted:

Anyone know what Biden was referencing when he said China would need a 17 year military build up to achieve parity with the US? Sorry if this is skating too close to present politics, but chinachat has been largely civil recently, and I’m more curious if the figure is reasonable, not if Biden was being senile or some such. It seems short to me, but 17 years is a long time and I’m no expert.

If I had to guess, I'd say it is accurate in a certain sense because the PLA still has some major deficiencies that can only be solved by experience (joint missions) or production time (like shipbuilding for example, can't just hit the buy now button and suddenly have a 300 ship navy overnight). However the comment is frustratingly vague, like does he mean the PLA as a whole? The PLAN's ships? Their basic infantry equipment? Technical reconnaissance and strategic support equipment? Plane engines? There are some areas that they are objectively better than the US (ballistic missiles springs to mind), some that are a lot worse (lol plane engine life).

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Wouldn't really expect a politician to go less vague than that. Also, why 17 and not 20 or 15 or 19 or whatever?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Yeah, the PLAN is the big one I would imagine he's referencing with that comment. Running a blue water Navy is only partly about having the ships, there is also a lot of institutional knowledge they have to develop, and it will mostly be done organically. What that means in practice is that they really need a second wave of sailors to join and learn from their noncoms about how to do things.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Kesper North posted:

lmao so it is. This morning started at 4:30 AM in another country, and I was reading something about Donbas separatists blaming Russian troops for MH17 on the trip.

A decent amount of evidence around to back up that claim these days.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pontius Pilate posted:

The "17 year" thing is almost certainly a kind of...slightly off reference to the CPC's arbitrary mark-on-the-wall date of 2035 for being able to win what they call a "regional war," which we usually translate as "beat either the west or Russia in a limited conflict in the near seas or border regions."

That said it is kind of a...dumb claim to begin with, as I think it kind of implies that the PLA is developing capabilities in parallel with the US...which they most definitely are not. The Chinese have already surpassed us in some capabilities and lag far behind in lots of others (Don Gato gave a couple of great examples above). They certainly won't be sending large expeditionary forces long distances in 2035, nor will they be meaningfully contesting modern IADS or running major integrated joint operations.

Also I don't know if this is confirmed or not but apparently the CPC pulled the plug on the debate last night when they started talking China. Which, lol.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hey people I was wondering if anyone could recommend some fun plane/helicopter sim games that I could pick up for cheap in the Steam sale.

Couldn't see an obvious thread in games so I thought I'd ask here.

Nothing super-groggy involving checklists etc, perfectly happy for a more arcade style.

Doesn't need to be the latest and greatest. Just something I could mess around with. Bonus points if i can use a gamepad and don't have to go into my attic to find wherever the hell my old flightstick is and whether it still works.

I'm thinking of the classic F117/comanche games of yore. That sort of thing.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Deptfordx posted:

Hey people I was wondering if anyone could recommend some fun plane/helicopter sim games that I could pick up for cheap in the Steam sale.

Couldn't see an obvious thread in games so I thought I'd ask here.

Nothing super-groggy involving checklists etc, perfectly happy for a more arcade style.

Doesn't need to be the latest and greatest. Just something I could mess around with. Bonus points if i can use a gamepad and don't have to go into my attic to find wherever the hell my old flightstick is and whether it still works.

I'm thinking of the classic F117/comanche games of yore. That sort of thing.

Strike Fighters 2. It's not groggy at all, and it has absolutely massive number of addons available.

E: apparently it doesn't play well with Windows 10.

Gervasius fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 20, 2019

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Gervasius posted:

Strike Fighters 2. It's not groggy at all, and it has absolutely massive number of addons available.

E: apparently it doesn't play well with Windows 10.

It plays fine on Windows 10. I've run it on three separate Windows 10 computers without issue.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I think F-14 fleet defender is on GoG, it has settings from arcadey to "holy poo poo I can practically be the RIO in a f14 now"

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It plays fine on Windows 10. I've run it on three separate Windows 10 computers without issue.

Oh that's nice to hear.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Smiling Jack posted:

I think F-14 fleet defender is on GoG, it has settings from arcadey to "holy poo poo I can practically be the RIO in a f14 now"

It's on Steam for $1.74 right now

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Q_res posted:

It's on Steam for $1.74 right now

Steam, gog, they all blend together.

There's a aviation pack on steam for $4.20 nice

I really want M1TP2 back

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/beverstine/status/1208051639799746561?s=21

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bewbies posted:

The "17 year" thing is almost certainly a kind of...slightly off reference to the CPC's arbitrary mark-on-the-wall date of 2035 for being able to win what they call a "regional war," which we usually translate as "beat either the west or Russia in a limited conflict in the near seas or border regions."

My understanding is that India is the threat China's worried about more than anything. Russia seems happy to gently caress around with Europe, and the US is, uh, not currently politically willing to do anything if its leadership even gives a poo poo to begin with. India, however, is a regional peer with similar problems, similar ambitions, and nuclear weapons.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Didnt know this was a thing.

Boeing's experiment of putting MBAs in charge instead of engineers seems to not be going well. Its space capsule didnt make the correct orbit either.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

My understanding is that India is the threat China's worried about more than anything. Russia seems happy to gently caress around with Europe, and the US is, uh, not currently politically willing to do anything if its leadership even gives a poo poo to begin with. India, however, is a regional peer with similar problems, similar ambitions, and nuclear weapons.

Also a disputed border that erupted into a border war in the 60s and a whole lot of military standoffs, the most recent one happening in 2017.

Plus India is making more noise in Kashmir and the Chinese part of Kashmir is absolutely critical to connecting Xinjiang and Tibet because it has the only major road between those provinces for hundreds of miles.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

stealie72 posted:

Boeing's experiment of putting MBAs in charge instead of engineers seems to not be going well. Its space capsule didnt make the correct orbit either.

Yeah. It's not as bad as it could be but it's also not nearly as good as it should be.

Quick plug, I also happen to run another forum (yes, I cheat on you TFR) with a thread that does for spaceflight what this thread does for . . . whatever this thread is about. Nominally cold war aircraft? Frankly it stays on topic way more than this one does, just don't mention Elon Musk (the billionaire personality who makes trucks - SpaceX is of course talked about all the loving time). Spaceflight thread here

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It's a real good thread, especially if AIRPOWER becomes SPACEFORCE.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
boeing somehow managing to gently caress up a 767 based tanker (been done) that needs main deck cargo (been done) and not to have ladders in the fuel tanks or whatever (pretty sure been done as well) astounds me

How do you gently caress It Up So Bad

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
"We're spending 42 minutes too long assembling each aircraft."

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Maybe they should have just stuck with the EADS plane they picked the first time before Boeing pitched a giant hissyfit.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Maybe they should have just stuck with the EADS plane they picked the first time before Boeing pitched a giant hissyfit.

You mean the one they selected after buying KC-767s turned into a gigantic quid pro quo scam with senior USAF officials and Boeing executives going to jail?

What I’m getting at here is that the MIC rules and why are we buying tankers when we can buy the SR-72 and also figure out a way to give nuclear ray guns to Marines who are landing in the Middle East courtesy of hypersonic cruise missiles that carry passengers and have gun ports for some reason

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

a patagonian cavy posted:

What I’m getting at here is that the MIC rules and why are we buying tankers when we can buy the SR-72 and also figure out a way to give nuclear ray guns to Marines who are landing in the Middle East courtesy of hypersonic cruise missiles that carry passengers and have gun ports for some reason

did I just have a loving stroke?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Sounds like a Dahir Insaat wet dream

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

stealie72 posted:

I feel compelled to point out here that Dennis Muilenberg is an engineer, and he doesn't have an MBA. I have no opinion on what this means for Boeing's leadership, just being pedantic.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

McNally posted:

did I just have a loving stroke?

If you did i did too

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Dahir Insaat is back. This time they are using their drone missile trucks on convoys of trucks with German EU plates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHviFIezV6o

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

Memento posted:

Sounds like a Dahir Insaat wet dream

this isn't "how to transport 300 people in the dumbest way imaginable", this is "we can't let the ruskies get a goddamn step on us for a second and that's why even the APU on this strategic bomber is nuclear powered and we AREN'T TELLING ANYONE ABOUT IT"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

RandomPauI posted:

Dahir Insaat is back. This time they are using their drone missile trucks on convoys of trucks with German EU plates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHviFIezV6o

I wonder how they're planning on keeping those from getting shot down (if they ever build them).

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
That looks like the US presidential motorcade.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mortabis posted:

That looks like the US presidential motorcade.

Ehhh, one of the Limos was a Rolls, isn't the presidential limos usually Cadillacs?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Flikken posted:

Ehhh, one of the Limos was a Rolls, isn't the presidential limos usually Cadillacs?

Russian plates too.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

a patagonian cavy posted:

You mean the one they selected after buying KC-767s turned into a gigantic quid pro quo scam with senior USAF officials and Boeing executives going to jail?

Pentagon Wars 2: Griftastic Boogaloo is gonna be wild

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The Adventures of Tom Grift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Back Hack posted: