Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kaedric posted:

BIGASS BOOK SPOILERS, DON'T READ: I hope they are satisfied with the casting of Duny... considering. I wonder how they'll handle that? Make him grow a beard or give him enough makeup so that people don't notice? Might be hard if they list the cast at the end of the episode.

Hiding someone's identity in writing is much easier than doing so in a visual medium, to be sure. However I do think that they could hide his identity by either aging him up like they did with Calanthe or by recasting him. He's already older than Pavetta and we probably won't see Emhyr in person for a few more seasons, so it's got to be at least twelve to fifteen years later in the present day than during the feast. That could justify an actor change if they really wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I appreciate that they seem to be focusing on prosthesis rather than CGI for their VFX, but I agree with much of the criticism for the CGI. Hopefully they spend a little more on the CGI for the next season and better integrate the two. I do enjoy the physicality of prosthesis in the scenes, and thinking back to stuff like the Underworld franchise that did the same they've certainly come a long way. To my mind though, delivering on high fantasy like this requires more than what you can get from good costuming and cinematography.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Does Sabrina Glevessig ever end up doing anything important in the books? All I remember in the games is she goes out as a magic WMD.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My big criticism of this show is that they could have made these stories much longer with more for the viewer to chew on. It moves from one tale of woe or wonder to the next at such a clip that I imagine it's leaving people new to the Witcher a bit cold. Even little things like having a longish scene before a fight where he is preparing potions to explain the poo poo he's drinking might help a bit. Hell a full episode of him at Kaer Morhen might have been good.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
Episode 7, found an even worse casting choice than triss. Sooooooo doesn’t land

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arglebargle III posted:

Does Sabrina Glevessig ever end up doing anything important in the books? All I remember in the games is she goes out as a magic WMD.

She horns out on Geralt at Aretuza along with a dozen other sorceresses.

Okay a Doppler assassin and Mousesack is dead? That's two things I disagree with.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 21, 2019

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Biggest issue is it moves too fast. Seems like they didn't think they'd get a second season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
was the 8 episode thing a production choice or netflix ?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
The music in this show is so good

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Starting to lose me as of ep 7. The more I see the more I absolutely hate the magic school. Did they not think forward here? Yen later wants to send Ciri to the school to be taught, but with what we've seen in the show there's no way that'd be the case. Also this absolutely weakens the very good chemistry between Yen and Ciri when Yen was originally teaching Ciri magic. Now Yen calling Ciri 'ugly one' and being rough on her will look ridiculous, and like she's aping the show's version of Tissaia.

EDIT: Also, why the gently caress make Nilfgaard a psycho take no prisoners religious cult. So dumb.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Binged 4 episodes and the show's hella good. That's my spicy hot thoughts on it right now because it's late.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Holy poo poo that ending song for episode 5. What in the everloving gently caress.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Finished it, really enjoyed. Jaskier is the best.

I'm not sure about Vilgefortz though, I hope the actor can carry that character.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adnor posted:

Finished it, really enjoyed. Jaskier is the best.

I'm not sure about Vilgefortz though, I hope the actor can carry that character.

That geezer was in marco polo and :smuggo: his way through the whole show.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Rocksicles posted:

That geezer was in marco polo and :smuggo: his way through the whole show.

Haven't watched Marco Polo, but that sounds perfect.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

What is with the tanned and dried giant nutsacks that Nilfgaard wears for armor

ep 8 What in the gently caress, vilgefortz would have eaten Cahir for breakfast what is this revisionist shitttttttt

Kaedric fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 21, 2019

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
The poor dworf that stabbed the rich lady needs a gif meme

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I liked it. I predict that season two will feature flashbacks to geralt being made into a Witcher. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

I think my favorite thing was geralt's frequent "...gently caress." lines.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Pretty sure we'll be seeing a lot of Kaer Morhen in season 2

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So far the weakest aspects of the show are the made-for-tv additions to the story. Simple fact is Ciri just does not have a lot to do at this point in the narrative so her plot feels like it's spinning the wheels waiting for everyone else to catch up with her.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kaedric posted:

What is with the tanned and dried giant nutsacks that Nilfgaard wears for armor

ep 8 What in the gently caress, vilgefortz would have eaten Cahir for breakfast what is this revisionist shitttttttt

He loses on purpose because Yen is watching.

But yeah the nilfgaard armor looks terribad

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I enjoyed the ep with the dragon but all the subtlety has been blown out of sky by the story changes, which i feel like almost all for thr worse. I mean why re-invent the wheel.

I mean why cant ciris.experience as a child in a war be portraydd as traumatizing without turning cahir/nilfguard into the evil barbaric 'others', theyre just another nation as messed.up as any other.

That being said, im enjoying watching it. But they've already hit season 4+ GoT levels of cheese.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
(I don't think is worth spoilering but I will of anyone disagrees)

There's a scene in ep 8 where a bunch of sorceresses are in a rowboat, and it's funny to me that it's like a huge collection of Geralt's ex and future ex girlfriends.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Vilgefartz posted:

I enjoyed the ep with the dragon but all the subtlety has been blown out of sky by the story changes, which i feel like almost all for thr worse. I mean why re-invent the wheel.

I mean why cant ciris.experience as a child in a war be portraydd as traumatizing without turning cahir/nilfguard into the evil barbaric 'others', theyre just another nation as messed.up as any other.

That being said, im enjoying watching it. But they've already hit season 4+ GoT levels of cheese.

I'm not particularly surprised since it seems like this is the showrunners first show being a showrunner (i think), and the other stuff she's written/worked on are not things I would really call "good"

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

NeurosisHead posted:

There's a scene in ep 8 where a bunch of sorceresses are in a rowboat, and it's funny to me that it's like a huge collection of Geralt's ex and future ex girlfriends.

Why were they rowing their way there instead of teleporting? I don't know much about how magic works in witcher but portals seem to be one of the main things mages do.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I'm up to episode 6 and I really like it even though there are some pretty obvious flaws.

For the most part, I'm really happy with casting: Henry Cavill is a dream come true for Geralt and I like Yennefer, Ciri, and Dandellion's actors as well. None of the major characters seem to have been miscast. I mourn the loss of redhead Triss but I actually enjoyed her addition to The Witcher storyline.

The writing's generally pretty good. Episode 6 was probably the weakest and it had some truly baffling choices but for the most part I'm satisfied.

Generally speaking, I'm alright with the changes they've made to the story. We lost a lot of good character moments but it's not the end of the world. My objection is mostly the non-linear, non-concurrent narrative, which sometimes works (Yen's transformation/Striga fight) and sometimes doesn't (uhh... most of Ciri's storyline). I'm familiar with the story so I was able to follow along but I definitely see how a new viewer would bounce off this series.

I understand why they decided to expand on Ciri and Yennefer's roles for this early part of the story but I definitely think things would have been better if they had been more sporadic. They especially did not have enough material for Ciri. The dryad storyline especially dragged.

Speaking of which, I'm also really concerned that they have axed Ciri and Geralt's initial encounter because that seems like it will really taken the wind out of "Something More". However, I haven't finished the series yet, maybe they'll still pull it off.

So far the highlights:
- The Blaviken fight. Literally all I wanted from this show was Geralt deflecting the crossbow bolt. Although I wish they hadn't done it in slow-motion and I wish they'd kept the reaction from Renfri's men when they realize they're hosed with a guy who can deflect a crossbow bolt in midflight. Still big thumbs up from me.
- The Striga encounter. Absolutely great.
- Geralt's "gently caress" upon learning Pavetta is pregnant. That killed me.
- Dandelion period. He is perfect.
- In a similar vein, I'm really digging the soundtrack. It's definitely evocative of the game's soundtrack and I love it.

The lows:
- As stated, Ciri's storyline so far has really slogged.
- Vellenmenthotrith or however you spell his stupid name. I don't care how he looks or the CGI; none of that bothers me. What bothers me was they had him speak in his normal voice and made no attempt to animate his mouth moving. Also the poo poo he was saying was also really dumb. It was all very silly.
- Also in episode 6: Yen fighting with a sword and the Aard kiss. I get that it is probably expensive to animate magic but come on, just let her forcechoke them or something. She's a sorceress, let her use magic.
- It looks like they've skipped some of my favorite stories from The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny. Namely, A Grain of Truth, A Shard of Ice and A Little Sacrifice. I really will miss those short stories. Also, it looks like they cut Geralt healing at the Temple of Meletile, which means we won't get that baller scene where Geralt wins a duel by making his opponent hit himself with his own sword. I still haven't finished, so maybe parts of them will still show up? Fingers crossed.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 21, 2019

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

bloom posted:

Why were they rowing their way there instead of teleporting? I don't know much about how magic works in witcher but portals seem to be one of the main things mages do.

I'd assume it has something to do with preserving their reserves of power, but the show doesn't seem to be explicit about it.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I know I've been posting a lot, but that's what happens when you're shotgunning this poo poo.

Now that I'm done, the weak spots are absolutely the Ciri and Yen plots. BIG BITCHIN TIME:

Ciri Story:
Disregarding that with her dyed eyebrows Ciri looks like she sat too close to a campfire, her story went nowhere and was ridiculously dull.
The druids of Brokilon looked ridiculous and honestly didn't serve any purpose that I could tell.
Killing mousesack with a doppler of all things was bullshit, and that little subplot honestly was dragged out for far too long.
Turning Cahir weirdly bloodthirsty and evil was a huge misstep. Like, literally having him murder an entire tavern of innocent people? How did this make it past QA.
That Dara character just screamed 'made for tv' to me, and even had the cliche 'I am not helping you anymore! *walks away*' scene, for... reasons? Just leave his rear end at Brokilon, he served no purpose!
The problem with telling this story is that Ciri is a nobody to us, and has no relation whatsoever to anything else going on in the plot, so we don't CARE that she's running for her life. It just isn't interesting without an emotional connection.
Geralt! At last! Let me run to you through the forest and give you a giant hug as if I even know who the gently caress you are.

Yen:
Torture school for witches was unredeemable trash, and causes all sorts of cracks to form in this adaptation that will be felt later.
Similar to Ciri above, seeing the backstory for a character we don't know or care about yet is a bad move. I think the first time that Yen does anything on her own initiative that isn't being tortured for shits and giggles is like episode 5.
Essentially stealing the Yen->Ciri magical training storyline, except no slow warming up to the character over time, and in fact Yen doesn't seem to be taught anything at all, ever. Tissaia is just a straight up bitch the entire time with no relent, so Yen suddenly being besties with her in the final episode makes zero sense.
Where to even start with Fringilla. And even in the TV canon, she was a middling student, suddenly turns into a badass at Sodden? I sincerely hope if they ever do the Geralt in Toussaint storyline they pick some other random sorceress for him to connect with.
Bit early for the heel turn with Vilgefortz, but.. whatever I guess.
I wasn't originally one of the folks worried about the actress' age for Yen, but yeah, she lacks a ton of the gravitas and imperiousness that the character needs (to be interesting and not just 'random hot sorceress'). She came close a few times but just her posture and the way she talked just made her seem like she was just barely out of her teens. I know it sounds nitpicky and dumb, but it was really noticeable to me, near everytime she walked into a room with sort of slumped shoulders.

The real problem that those two characters caused is that the actual good stories didn't get time to breathe, because we had to keep cutting to the others to see oh hey there's ciri running through a field alone again, let's spend 15 minutes of this episode on her.

I don't know, to me it's kind of like if during the fellowship of the ring we were getting flashbacks to Faramir's upbringing, it just cuts away from the actual interesting story to some poo poo we don't yet have a reason to care about.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

In It For The Tank posted:

- Also in episode 6: Yen fighting with a sword and the Aard kiss. I get that it is probably expensive to animate magic but come on, just let her forcechoke them or something. She's a sorceress, let her use magic.

well I thought that in addition to the obvious benefit of making the fight scene more kinetic a. it was a way to show she's physically gotten tough as well since it's the first time we've really seen her in a violent conflict after fleeing from the wizard assassin and b. there seemed to be a deliberate choice to tone down how competent the average wizard is at using magic to murder people in battle - the show focuses a lot on wizard politics and it seemed like they set up the Battle of Sodden Hill to be something of a turning point that centers around Yennefer's big fire nuke and having her already be demonstrably proficient at battle magic (vs. self-defense and knifing people) might undermine this a bit

LGD fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 21, 2019

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kaedric posted:

I know I've been posting a lot, but that's what happens when you're shotgunning this poo poo.

Now that I'm done, the weak spots are absolutely the Ciri and Yen plots. BIG BITCHIN TIME:

Ciri Story:
Disregarding that with her dyed eyebrows Ciri looks like she sat too close to a campfire, her story went nowhere and was ridiculously dull.
The druids of Brokilon looked ridiculous and honestly didn't serve any purpose that I could tell.
Killing mousesack with a doppler of all things was bullshit, and that little subplot honestly was dragged out for far too long.
Turning Cahir weirdly bloodthirsty and evil was a huge misstep. Like, literally having him murder an entire tavern of innocent people? How did this make it past QA.
That Dara character just screamed 'made for tv' to me, and even had the cliche 'I am not helping you anymore! *walks away*' scene, for... reasons? Just leave his rear end at Brokilon, he served no purpose!
The problem with telling this story is that Ciri is a nobody to us, and has no relation whatsoever to anything else going on in the plot, so we don't CARE that she's running for her life. It just isn't interesting without an emotional connection.
Geralt! At last! Let me run to you through the forest and give you a giant hug as if I even know who the gently caress you are.

Yen:
Torture school for witches was unredeemable trash, and causes all sorts of cracks to form in this adaptation that will be felt later.
Similar to Ciri above, seeing the backstory for a character we don't know or care about yet is a bad move. I think the first time that Yen does anything on her own initiative that isn't being tortured for shits and giggles is like episode 5.
Essentially stealing the Yen->Ciri magical training storyline, except no slow warming up to the character over time, and in fact Yen doesn't seem to be taught anything at all, ever. Tissaia is just a straight up bitch the entire time with no relent, so Yen suddenly being besties with her in the final episode makes zero sense.
Where to even start with Fringilla. And even in the TV canon, she was a middling student, suddenly turns into a badass at Sodden? I sincerely hope if they ever do the Geralt in Toussaint storyline they pick some other random sorceress for him to connect with.
Bit early for the heel turn with Vilgefortz, but.. whatever I guess.
I wasn't originally one of the folks worried about the actress' age for Yen, but yeah, she lacks a ton of the gravitas and imperiousness that the character needs (to be interesting and not just 'random hot sorceress'). She came close a few times but just her posture and the way she talked just made her seem like she was just barely out of her teens. I know it sounds nitpicky and dumb, but it was really noticeable to me, near everytime she walked into a room with sort of slumped shoulders.

The real problem that those two characters caused is that the actual good stories didn't get time to breathe, because we had to keep cutting to the others to see oh hey there's ciri running through a field alone again, let's spend 15 minutes of this episode on her.

I don't know, to me it's kind of like if during the fellowship of the ring we were getting flashbacks to Faramir's upbringing, it just cuts away from the actual interesting story to some poo poo we don't yet have a reason to care about.

Did you watch the show or did you have it on in the background because some of these points just don't make sense.

Like your point about Yen "Not doing anything on her own initiative" comment makes no sense when she literally does things of her own initiative during the big climatic moment of Episode 3

Asema fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 21, 2019

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Asema posted:

Did you watch the show or did you have it on in the background because some of these points just don't make sense.

Like your point about Yen "Not doing anything on her own initiative" comment makes no sense when she literally does things of her own initiative during the big climatic moment of Episode 3

Well I did say 'that wasn't being tortured'. And what did she really do here? Made herself pretty real quick so she could go dance with someone? It was a neat scene when spliced with the striga but honestly I hated every aspect of the school, not to mention the absurd straightforwardness of literally taking out her uterus, so it spoiled the effect a bit for me. And while I did like the followup with Istredd where she reveals her inner thoughts, it felt a bit haphazard, because even to the audience (who generally are allowed some insight to the character) her confession felt completely out of left field.

And yes, my thoughts are from shotgunning the show all in a row from 2am on, so if they're not 100% you can feel free to blame it on that. It's essentially 8 hours of TV so it's easy to forget certain events, especially if those events are SUPER BORING, CIRI.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kaedric posted:

And yes, my thoughts are from shotgunning the show all in a row from 2am on, so if they're not 100% you can feel free to blame it on that. It's essentially 8 hours of TV so it's easy to forget certain events, especially if those events are SUPER BORING, CIRI.

I don't want to sound mean here but you stayed up late, shotgunned the show, missed some things that some would say they hit you over the head with, and are now ranting about it.

For instance with Yen and the school, there were numerous scenes showcasing Yen's growth of not only her magical capabilities but the relationship between Yen and Tissaia down to Yen realizing the plot going on and going against the wishes in order to make a very blatant power move to get what she wants, which is way more than just "being tortured"

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Asema posted:

I don't want to sound mean here but you stayed up late, shotgunned the show, missed some things that some would say they hit you over the head with, and are now ranting about it.

For instance with Yen and the school, there were numerous scenes showcasing Yen's growth of not only her magical capabilities but the relationship between Yen and Tissaia down to Yen realizing the plot going on and going against the wishes in order to make a very blatant power move to get what she wants, which is way more than just "being tortured"

I didn't miss these things, I found them not compelling.

I explicitly was talking about Yen not being 'taught' anything by Tissaia, because not once are we shown that. We see her doing magic in other scenes, but there is never a case where there's a 'aha! well done yennefer!' moment where a student might bond with a teacher. That was my point. Yen becoming friends with her has no basis whatsoever beyond Yen pitying her losing a modicum of power.

Again, up until the exact moment Yen mentions 'oh hey they overruled you' and then suddenly feeling empathetic towards Tissaia just because she lost a vote, there is nothing but animosity between them. Vilgefortz (who may have in fact been lying) saying that Tissaia said yen was her best student ever is ridiculous, given what we are shown. Due to this, her 'power move' feels weak, all she did was make herself pretty and dance with a king, and just at that Tissaia is helpless to stop her? It would have made more sense if Yen was shown to be some prodigy, but not given the recognition she deserves, instead of being one of the laggards in the class. At least then I would believe that Tissaia would have a grudging respect for her, as opposed to interally thinking about turning her into an eel once the dance wraps up.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kaedric posted:

Again, up until the exact moment Yen mentions 'oh hey they overruled you' and then suddenly feeling empathetic towards Tissaia just because she lost a vote, there is nothing but animosity between them.

So you are just not acknowledging scenes now because there's a very long scene of Yen discovering what the knocks mean and then pushing them into the magic enchanted water and they had a moment there too.

You saying you find it boring, or not compelling is one thing, that's fine everybody has their own opinions on media. But a lot of your points are just wrong :shobon:

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Asema posted:

So you are just not acknowledging scenes now because there's a very long scene of Yen discovering what the knocks mean and then pushing them into the magic enchanted water and they had a moment there too.

You saying you find it boring, or not compelling is one thing, that's fine everybody has their own opinions on media. But a lot of your points are just wrong :shobon:

Hey fair enough, I memory-holed that scene because it was so goddamn dumb. They did in fact bond a little there.

EDIT: over their shared ritual murder of innocent people, admittedly

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kaedric posted:

Hey fair enough, I memory-holed that scene because it was so goddamn dumb. They did in fact bond a little there.

There's also the scene with the mirror. And the bottle scene where they bond about being the same type of Mage. "There's people who have no emotions and then there are people like us"

You just didn't like it and that's fine imo

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I just went through the last two episodes, and that epic hero moment from Yennefer was kind of cool, and that's about it, the rest is kinda meh. Especially Ciri running to Geralt at Yurga's house, when they retconned out the part in Brokilon where they actually met? (which is also the part that would've made brokilon relevant?). Even my partner was like 'do they even know each other?', and she hasn't read the book. Also think Vilgefortz fakeout was dumb as hell, he's supposed to be some super respected genius douchebag and he basically loses that rep in the episode.

All that aside, i'm keen for Ciri to go to Kaer Morhen next season and learn all the witchery things, but i also^ think the weird decisions they've made will gently caress the story up logically later on, ala GoT.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I hope they find a way to shoehorn A Shard of Ice in next year. It's mostly standalone so would fit into any period of time the three aren't currently traveling together, and they spent all that time on Istredd already early in the season.

I'm saying this b/c i imagine they don't shoehorn it into the last two episodes, which I am starting right now!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Just finished it the show is good. Uterus for looks and Ciri's dryad adventures are the only missteps. Can't wait for season 2!

Arcsquad12 posted:

So far the weakest aspects of the show are the made-for-tv additions to the story. Simple fact is Ciri just does not have a lot to do at this point in the narrative so her plot feels like it's spinning the wheels waiting for everyone else to catch up with her.

Very much agreed. They should have either introduced her later or just had her have a few more castle scenes at Cintra so she(and the audience who didn't play the games / read the books) could learn more about the world and why Nilfgaard is such a crazy cult / evil.

Kaedric posted:

I explicitly was talking about Yen not being 'taught' anything by Tissaia, because not once are we shown that. We see her doing magic in other scenes, but there is never a case where there's a 'aha! well done yennefer!' moment where a student might bond with a teacher. That was my point. Yen becoming friends with her has no basis whatsoever beyond Yen pitying her losing a modicum of power.

Again, up until the exact moment Yen mentions 'oh hey they overruled you' and then suddenly feeling empathetic towards Tissaia just because she lost a vote, there is nothing but animosity between them. Vilgefortz (who may have in fact been lying) saying that Tissaia said yen was her best student ever is ridiculous, given what we are shown. Due to this, her 'power move' feels weak, all she did was make herself pretty and dance with a king, and just at that Tissaia is helpless to stop her? It would have made more sense if Yen was shown to be some prodigy, but not given the recognition she deserves, instead of being one of the laggards in the class. At least then I would believe that Tissaia would have a grudging respect for her, as opposed to interally thinking about turning her into an eel once the dance wraps up.

Yes. The king being horny and kinda racist > *

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yes. The king being horny and kinda racist > *

I can see it, I'm just coming from the books where the power dynamic is the other way around (even if the king's believe otherwise).