Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

never not in the mood for a samosa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
i have Thoughts about the Pig Versus Goat Dichotomy

they both eat everything edible and some things that aren't and therefore can be raised in marginal-to-useless agricultural land, and most regions pick / historically picked exactly one of them

and I live in a Pig culture :negative:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

goats seem to enjoy standing in places where i;m like "man that does not seem like a safe place to stand"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

OTOH imagine the dustbowl if you had goats. Could have wiped out all life on the north american continent.

E: I mean like 100 years earlier.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 21, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
i'm actually genuinely curious why pigmilk never took off, but i don't know any smalltime pig farmers to find out why

i suspect the answer may be "lol good luck milking a sow, buddy" rather than any taste questions

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally I'm looking forward to the showdown because while a pig can eat many things I know in my heart it prefers the flesh of man, and the US is going to be overrun with feral hogs, freed from their prisons, coming to claim their dominion over the great satan of the west.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
12 nipples

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Why don't we milk pigs?

titties very small yet numerous, pigs uncooperative, pigs capable of owning you in combat

OwlFancier posted:

Personally I'm looking forward to the showdown because while a pig can eat many things I know in my heart it prefers the flesh of man, and the US is going to be overrun with feral hogs, freed from their prisons, coming to claim their dominion over the great satan of the west.

speaking as a Texan: yes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

titties very small, pigs uncooperative, pigs capable of owning you in combat

Well that's january's thread title sorted.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Feels like the ongoing title for all French megathreads

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
After the past three pages of cullinary abortions and abominations I'm newly thankful that the most disgusting thing I have to deal with in Istanbul is kokorec and street mussels.

Outside of datenight in Ortakoy anyway.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

wikipedia posted:

Some people do not care for surströmming. [12] It is a food which is subject to strong passions, as is lutefisk.

I'm no lutefisk fan, but comparing it to surströmming is like comparing apples with rotten oranges. The only good thing you can say about surströmming is it doesn't taste as bad as it smells, but given it's one of the worst things I've ever smelled, that's not saying a lot. By far the worst supposedly edible thing I've ever tasted, and I've eaten hákarl.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
You fuckers never been faced with a munchy boax?

pa-thetic

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

OwlFancier posted:

how do you submit something to goons.txt

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

crispix posted:

pa-thetic

I genuinely don't know how people get through those. They look delicious but I could eat maybe a fifth of one.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

OwlFancier posted:

I genuinely don't know how people get through those. They look delicious but I could eat maybe a fifth of one.

The trick is to believe in yourself, try hard, and failing that, HEROIC levels of intoxication.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Zedhe Khoja posted:

After the past three pages of cullinary abortions and abominations I'm newly thankful that the most disgusting thing I have to deal with in Istanbul is kokorec and street mussels.

Outside of datenight in Ortakoy anyway.

tbf "street mussels" sound terrifying

not for their immediate taste, but for the subsequent 24 hours

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do like mussels, would be willing to try it. Especially if garlic is involved.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Why is George Galloway so hated?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He's a pillock.

Currently he seems to be on a "labour isn't racist or rapey enough for the true working class" bent. But he's had a long career of being a political gobshite. Most of it from far before I started paying attention.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 21, 2019

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

He's a pillock.

Currently he seems to be on a "labour isn't racist or rapey enough for the true working class" bent. But he's had a long career of being a political gobshite. Most of it from far before I started paying attention.

He seems really passionate about Palestine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I can tell he's mostly a particularly impressive incidence of the weird trot, having a political career like a pinball machine and ending up with some takes that seem correct and a whole bunch of loving weird and wrong ones.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

a whole bunch of loving weird and wrong ones.
What are some of these? I want to go down this rabbit hole!

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

wocobob posted:

Anyone got a Times subscription for this article?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/in-2017-labour-won-facebook-but-now-they-are-outdated-and-outgunned-svm2jdfwh

Seems like it might actually be relevant.

quote:

In 2017 Labour won Facebook, but now they are outdated and outgunned

Something more fundamental shifted between 2017 and 2019 that the instant post-mortems of Labour’s disappointing election performance haven’t adequately addressed.

Jeremy Corbyn’s surge in popularity in the 2017 campaign meant the Tories begrudgingly had to accept the public didn’t dislike him as much as the Conservative party did. They recognised that they needed to commit an all-out assault on his approval ratings in order to win a majority.

In 2019, when an ever declining number of people consume broadcast media, forcing your opponent into a strategic misstep in SW1 or briefing a story to the press isn’t enough to persuade people. Attacks now have to be amplified on social media with targeted content that is also shareable, so once the communities the party wants to influence have been reached, more of their target audience are engaged via the “social endorsement” of a Facebook like or share.

Momentum and Jeremy Corbyn’s highly shareable video content in 2017 meant, even without targeting, its virality had it reach and persuade the right people. But Facebook’s algorithm change in early 2018 shifted the landscape: it meant more content from friends in news-feeds instead of from pages people liked, and also boosting videos that are watched for longer. This meant organic sharing of content developed outside of the party and by Jeremy Corbyn’s team in the leader’s office could no longer compensate for deficiencies elsewhere.

While there were attempts to generate viral, persuadable content – four of the top ten most shared videos of the campaign were developed by Real Change Lab, Momentum or Corbyn’s team, and Jeremy Corbyn achieved multiple times the shares and retweets of all his rivals – this remained incidental to the party’s core strategy and so was not adequately resourced. Meanwhile the Labour party itself appeared to base its approach on the Tory digital strategy of 2015: spending £1.5 million on Facebook, but largely advertising content that was neither shareable nor persuasive. In fact, while the Tories almost caught up with Labour’s official channels, Labour’s own organic content gained half the views on Facebook it had in 2017.

By contrast, Jeremy Corbyn’s content had almost five times the views and three times the shares on Facebook as the entire Labour party but with a fraction of the ad spend. The party’s approach appeared to be based on the received wisdom from the 2015 campaign that social media is an “echo chamber” and to reach undecided voters you needed to pay. However, the data now shows this to be untrue. For example, through organic sharing alone over ten million people watched the video of Rob Delaney talking about the NHS that was published on Jeremy Corbyn’s social media channels, with thousands of people in key marginals who had never even interacted with Corbyn’s Facebook page sharing the video.

In fact, almost 80 per cent of the people Labour paid to reach through Corbyn’s page were also reached organically by his viral content. But over the course of the whole campaign, Corbyn still only managed just 50 per cent more video views than in 2017, compared to an almost seven-fold improvement on Twitter. To cut through on Facebook, the algorithm now demands even more shareable, longer, engaging content that people watch to the end. The party needs to properly invest in developing such content lines. And there is no point spending millions on targeting content at people that is not going to persuade them, or precipitate the social endorsement that comes with people sharing that content to their Facebook friends.

The Conservative party understands this. They learnt the lessons of 2017, developing viral content such as “Brexit, Actually” while they gamed Facebook’s algorithm by posting full length “car crash” interviews of Labour politicians, knowing their core supporters would watch it to the end meaning it would get boosted by the platform. Instead of static images with links, their “Get out the Vote” ads featured tailored selfie videos of Boris Johnson himself talking directly to voters of each target marginal. They also had a network of surrogate Facebook pages that appeared apolitical, such as “Parents’ Choice” and “Right To Rent, Right To Buy, Right To Own”, which focused on delegitimising Labour policies, while building online communities in marginal constituencies so substantial they could dictate the terms of discussion.

Crucially, Boris Johnson benefited from Leave.EU’s Facebook reach where they did not mobilise behind Theresa May. While there is an early consensus emerging among Labour’s leadership candidates that the policy prospectus was popular but it lacked the message or adequate message carrier, it is crucial that candidates commit to overhauling the party’s approach to Facebook. The Left must capitalise on the growth of social media, especially given most of the newspapers are set against the Labour party. It will be integral to any strategy to win an election in 2024, and the work to catch up with the Tories must start now. Leadership candidates that fail to recognise this haven’t got a serious plan.

https://twitter.com/robdelaney/status/1198159845423243264

tl; dr Facebook changed its algorithms in 2018 (that's true, it did) and away from highly-liked pages, and Labour did not adapt its online strategy appropriately

thoughts:

1. ad strategy on particular platforms is a not really a leadership thing; even if true it's a media team thing

2. it's still the case that to reach undecided voters one has to pay, then... but instead of paying facebook for the access, one pays a content team to create appropriate video clips and only pays facebook for the viewership data

3. "persuasive to marginal voters" is kind of a generic problem, perhaps. Labour shed voters in all directions and flinging goodies in all directions arguably backfired even more

ronya fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 21, 2019

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

ronya posted:

https://twitter.com/robdelaney/status/1198159845423243264

tl; dr Facebook changed its algorithms in 2018 (that's true, it did) and away from highly-liked pages, and Labour did not adapt its online strategy appropriately

thoughts:

1. ad strategy on particular platforms is a not really a leadership thing; even if true it's a media team thing

2. it's still the case that to reach undecided voters one has to pay, then... but instead of paying facebook for the access, one pays a content team to create appropriate video clips and only pays facebook for the viewership data

3. "persuasive to marginal voters" is kind of a generic problem, perhaps. Labour shed voters in all directions and flinging goodies in all directions arguably backfired even more

Tiocfaidh Ár Lá

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Anything resembling a country is lost.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Convex posted:

I've not been in here much since election day, how's everyone doing? I've kinda disengaged from politics for the moment as it all feels like a pointless endeavour at this point :(

Remember that it's all downhill for Johnson and the Tories from here. He's all about promising everything to everyone while continually kicking the can down the road but the Brexit timetable won't allow him to do this. There'll be hard decision after hard decision, each one of which will visibly hurt the country and soon enough, his government will be all about crisis management, rather than fulfilling any discernable political programme (not that the Tories particularly seemed to have one in the 1st place).

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

crispix posted:

pa-thetic

I got one many years ago and I poo poo you not it included several almost identical looking bits of chicken pakora type things of which precisely 1 was on the the bone. You would never have been able to pick it apart from the others without extremely close inspection even sober, and as all munchy box consumers are I was several pints deep. Nearly broke my loving teeth. Convinced the lads in the takeaway did it deliberately as a pisstake.

E: in other takeaway chat am I weird for being the only person I know who likes doner with zero sauce and heaps of salad? It has to specifically be that really particular takeaway type salad too. Think I may be hosed up.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Dec 21, 2019

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

ThomasPaine posted:

E: in other takeaway chat am I weird for being the only person I know who likes doner with zero sauce and heaps of salad? It has to specifically be that really particular takeaway type salad too. Think I may be hosed up.

Is this virtue signalling?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Has anyone got a quick and simple copy and paste reply to all these dick heads on Facebook posting unsubstantiated opinions from the “inside” by an unverified nhs staff member claiming the reason the nhs is in trouble is because it’s used incorrectly for prescriptions, drug addicts, the lazy and colds?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is this true? 37% sounds like a lot to me. It looks like it was more like 20% in 2017.

https://twitter.com/mac123_m/status/1208127821027139584?s=19

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Every election regardless of who wins there's some conspiracy theory about voter fraud. You really need to front the evidence for this happening or else it just looks like sore-loserism.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

+1

my personal doomed quixotic crusade is to have somewhere, anywhere, to purchase mutton

so no, it's just lamb at annoying prices in my area, because the US is somewhat larger than 'Great' Britain

I will also accept goat. Bonus: the milk is decent and the cheese is excellent.

Try some halal stores maybe?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Why don't we milk pigs?

titties very small yet numerous, pigs uncooperative, pigs capable of owning you in combat

David Cameron has found his calling.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

Remember that it's all downhill for Johnson and the Tories from here. He's all about promising everything to everyone while continually kicking the can down the road but the Brexit timetable won't allow him to do this. There'll be hard decision after hard decision, each one of which will visibly hurt the country and soon enough, his government will be all about crisis management, rather than fulfilling any discernable political programme (not that the Tories particularly seemed to have one in the 1st place).

:unsmith:

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is this true? 37% sounds like a lot to me. It looks like it was more like 20% in 2017.

https://twitter.com/mac123_m/status/1208127821027139584?s=19
welp time to coup the government someone call oas

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BizarroAzrael posted:

The constituency I count is mainly rural and still only had around 12,000 postal votes of almost 54,000 cast. So either "Bevan Boy" is hearing rumours (likely) or the Tories have been voting the cemetery on an unprecedented scale.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Jedit posted:

The constituency I count is mainly rural and still only had around 12,000 postal votes of almost 54,000 cast. So either "Bevan Boy" is hearing rumours (likely) or the Tories have been voting the cemetery on an unprecedented scale.

This one says 38%

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/12/how-britain-voted-and-why-my-2019-general-election-post-vote-poll/

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Ed:
^
^
Nvm posted same link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Huh so I looked pink slime up and apparently they make maccers burgers out of it.
90% of the opposition to pink slime either comes from olds who boast about how in their day they weren't wasteful and ate pig's knuckles and tripe or from hippies who also say how great and natural it was that native cultures used every single part of the buffalo. The only difference between pink slime and the traditional London dog's dick pie appears to be the use of sieves.

RockyB posted:

Macon is a loving travesty
:heritage:

crispix posted:

January title sorted.

willie_dee posted:

Has anyone got a quick and simple copy and paste reply to all these dick heads on Facebook posting unsubstantiated opinions from the “inside” by an unverified nhs staff member claiming the reason the nhs is in trouble is because it’s used incorrectly for prescriptions, drug addicts, the lazy and colds?
No short snappy one but there's been a huge cohort study that shows that it's healthy living people who cost health services the most in the long run and in the recent past it was the libertarians who were all over this as proving that we should all eat drink and smoke whatever we want because it costs less, so that might sway them lot now that they suddenly seem to be going full "health is an individual responsibility" for some reason.