Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Still lolling over how they bring up Finn's crush on Rey and his force sensitivity multiple times then proceed to do absolutely nothing with either of them by the end of the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
there's this video clip where someone asks the big three about the surprise of stormtroopers that can fly and john boyega says 'i don't get why we're surprised, they've been using jetpacks since the clone wars!'

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'm still kinda weirded out that they managed to go from Finn getting focus like he's just behind Rey in importance to TFA to just wasting tons of time doing nothing him at all really.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Pigbuster posted:

Anakin was destined to bring balance to the force by destroying the overwhelming forces of evil through the ultimate act of sacrifice to save the life of his son.

Anakin was destined to bring balance to the force by temporarily inconveniencing the overwhelming forces of evil through the ultimate act of sacrifice to save the life of his son. That son will then inadvertently cast out his nephew, who will then be lured to the dark side by his imaginary friend, Anakin-but-completely-evil (who is actually the overwhelming force of evil speaking via force trickery). This will lead the nephew to form a force dyad with the overwhelming force of evil's granddaughter, which ultimately results in all the sith being killed by all the jedi, and the nephew will reject the dark side by making the ultimate act of sacrifice to save the life of his beloved. Truly, Anakin was destined to bring balance to the force.

Can someone explain the "all the Sith show up at once" part? Because holy loving poo poo is that sounding STUPID

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
When they're walking around the spice festival with a ton of squid people all wearing long flowing robes and they say "there's Stormtroopers looking for us" why don't they find some robes and try and blend in? Instead they walk around (with a giant hairy wookie in the group) and are immediately identified and chased within the span of 10 intergalactic time units?

I think my ultimate issue with this movie is the pacing. I can buy dumb plot points because it's a series about space wizards and laser guns, but it feels frantic and rushed while also being two and a half hours long while still having time for three lightsaber fights.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

TulliusCicero posted:

Can someone explain the "all the Sith show up at once" part? Because holy loving poo poo is that sounding STUPID

I don't know. Like I was thinking maybe it was a figurative thing, rule of two, but no, it just loving sucked.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
In ROTJ there's an imperial officer who says "You Rebel Scum". And he says it so well. Like his entire career had been building to that movement.

In Rise of Skywalker, after they get captured on the SD after effortlessly killing 30+ Stormtroopers, Poe gets shot in the shoulder, and they all immediately surrender. And about 10 seconds later, someone says "You Scum" or something. What did he say? It was so weirdly paused and sounded so...flat.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Quantum Shart posted:

I don't know. Like I was thinking maybe it was a figurative thing, rule of two, but no, it just loving sucked.

Like, most of the Sith don't even loving like each other because that's their natural order

Also Palps is a pretty strong Sith, but all of them at once? Pfffftt!

Also, the "bloodline" poo poo is dumb as gently caress and completely destroys the decades of information we have on how the force works, and anyone can be born force sensitive. This is what happens when you put a director in charge of established sci fi properties who has no respect for any of the canon or old ideas at all. Requiring Rey to exist to destroy Palps completely defeats the point of Anakin as a character and his destiny.

Going to watch the Mandalorian and then Clone Wars and Rebels again, to remind myself Star Wars can have fun and interesting ideas. Again, these writers were available for these dumb stupid loud films.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Comstar posted:

In ROTJ there's an imperial officer who says "You Rebel Scum". And he says it so well. Like his entire career had been building to that movement.

In Rise of Skywalker, after they get captured on the SD after effortlessly killing 30+ Stormtroopers, Poe gets shot in the shoulder, and they all immediately surrender. And about 10 seconds later, someone says "You Scum" or something. What did he say? It was so weirdly paused and sounded so...flat.

I can't remember; did anyone in the sequels ever call someone else a "Nerf Herder"? Because if not, that seems like a real missed opportunity.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

TulliusCicero posted:

Also, the "bloodline" poo poo is dumb as gently caress and completely destroys the decades of information we have on how the force works, and anyone can be born force sensitive. This is what happens when you put a director in charge of established sci fi properties who has no respect for any of the canon or old ideas at all.

You can't really blame anyone but Lucas for that, he didn't even respect his own movies when he made the prequels.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You can't really blame anyone but Lucas for that, he didn't even respect his own movies when he made the prequels.

Technically Return was when Force was brought up as being genetic, as Luke told Leia that everyone in their family was strong in it.

I'd say the bigger issue was, again, just how absurd Rey's grasp on Force Powers were from the offset. In contrast, Finn only gets vague feelings and otherwise seems to be a reasonable force sensitive person as established.

And the larger issue than that is... Sheev... won. He eradicated the Skywalkers, he successfully ruled the galaxy for like 60 years with the addition of like 60 more years of just living it up as a Sith. His surviving heir did in fact, strike him down, as he desired. He destroyed the government, slaughtered almost all the heroes who rose up against him in the past...

Like do you think anyone at Disney was thinking about what it meant for Sheev to be back? Do you think they considered it or just sorta shrugged and went "They'll clap when they see him."

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Onmi posted:

Technically Return was when Force was brought up as being genetic, as Luke told Leia that everyone in their family was strong in it.

I'd say the bigger issue was, again, just how absurd Rey's grasp on Force Powers were from the offset. In contrast, Finn only gets vague feelings and otherwise seems to be a reasonable force sensitive person as established.

And the larger issue than that is... Sheev... won. He eradicated the Skywalkers, he successfully ruled the galaxy for like 60 years with the addition of like 60 more years of just living it up as a Sith. His surviving heir did in fact, strike him down, as he desired. He destroyed the government, slaughtered almost all the heroes who rose up against him in the past...

Like do you think anyone at Disney was thinking about what it meant for Sheev to be back? Do you think they considered it or just sorta shrugged and went "They'll clap when they see him."

"But she's a Skywalker now!" :downs:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

TulliusCicero posted:

"But she's a Skywalker now!" :downs:

And Kylo was a Solo but when he died he was still the 'Last Skywalker'. So Name's don't mean poo poo compared to genetics as said by the movie itself.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Combat Theory posted:

Remember that the new algorithm for rotten tomato audience score doesn't count half star reviews.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

When they're walking around the spice festival with a ton of squid people all wearing long flowing robes and they say "there's Stormtroopers looking for us" why don't they find some robes and try and blend in? Instead they walk around (with a giant hairy wookie in the group) and are immediately identified and chased within the span of 10 intergalactic time units?

I think my ultimate issue with this movie is the pacing. I can buy dumb plot points because it's a series about space wizards and laser guns, but it feels frantic and rushed while also being two and a half hours long while still having time for three lightsaber fights.

Agreed, the lore/story is 'fine', but there just was no reason to care because things happen in a blur. I would've gone for an episode 10/episode 9 part 2 if it meant this movie had more time to breathe.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The weird thing to me is not that Hux betrays Kylo, it's that Hux betrays Kylo to the rebels and not Sheev.

How is Hux supposed to betray Kylo to Sheev (and I keep wanting to read that name as Skeev, because skeevy)? First, the only one who knows how to get to Exidor is Kylo and Sheev doesn't have a cell phone as far as I can tell. Second, what exactly can Hux do or say to Sheev in terms of betraying Kylo? The only one who knows he's not planning to kill Rey is Kylo.

Figure Hux is right. The best way to gently caress over Kylo is to use the Resistance to make him look bad. Unfortunately that didn't work because Hux is kind of dumb. Bad movie or not, Pryde just casually shooting Hux after not buying his clearly bullshit story was hilarious.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Very disappointed that Palpatine didn’t come back as an Ewok tbh

I wonder what his color of fur/stripes/patterns/etc. would be.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

Combat Theory posted:

Remember that the new algorithm for rotten tomato audience score doesn't count half star reviews.

why on Earth do they do that

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Colostomy Bag posted:

I wonder what his color of fur/stripes/patterns/etc. would be.

Find out in Star Wars XII: The Fur of Palpatine.

For my part I hope Rian Johnson's trilogy picks up twenty or thirty years later with Rey and Finn's clearly mixed race daughter because "gently caress you people with this racial purity bullshit."

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Everyone posted:

How is Hux supposed to betray Kylo to Sheev (and I keep wanting to read that name as Skeev, because skeevy)? First, the only one who knows how to get to Exidor is Kylo and Sheev doesn't have a cell phone as far as I can tell. Second, what exactly can Hux do or say to Sheev in terms of betraying Kylo? The only one who knows he's not planning to kill Rey is Kylo.

Figure Hux is right. The best way to gently caress over Kylo is to use the Resistance to make him look bad. Unfortunately that didn't work because Hux is kind of dumb. Bad movie or not, Pryde just casually shooting Hux after not buying his clearly bullshit story was hilarious.

I actually thought his "I'M THE SPY" was hilarious and in character for Hux. He's an idiot and a blowhard, of course he'd announce it that way.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Its Chocolate posted:

why on Earth do they do that

So that the audience score looks better.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

TulliusCicero posted:

Like, most of the Sith don't even loving like each other because that's their natural order

Also Palps is a pretty strong Sith, but all of them at once? Pfffftt!

Also, the "bloodline" poo poo is dumb as gently caress and completely destroys the decades of information we have on how the force works, and anyone can be born force sensitive. This is what happens when you put a director in charge of established sci fi properties who has no respect for any of the canon or old ideas at all. Requiring Rey to exist to destroy Palps completely defeats the point of Anakin as a character and his destiny.

Going to watch the Mandalorian and then Clone Wars and Rebels again, to remind myself Star Wars can have fun and interesting ideas. Again, these writers were available for these dumb stupid loud films.

yeah this is a distinction that can be hard to see. JJ Abrams is conscious of original material insofar as he can use it for nostalgia bait nerd pandering at an aesthetic level, but he has no actual understanding of or respect for it. see also Star Trek

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Onmi posted:

So that the audience score looks better.

So I’m not allowed to say I hated a film so much i deserves a half star? Why give me the opportunity to rate it then? RT sucks cock.

I’m still mad about this movie, but it’s fine - I’m just done with Star Wars. It lasted like a month, which is pathetic.

Really, the thing I’m most mad about it is that people actually generally love the film. Star Wars fans are the worst and I do not want to be associated with them.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

So I’m not allowed to say I hated a film so much i deserves a half star? Why give me the opportunity to rate it then? RT sucks cock.

I’m still mad about this movie, but it’s fine - I’m just done with Star Wars. It lasted like a month, which is pathetic.

Really, the thing I’m most mad about it is that people actually generally love the film. Star Wars fans are the worst and I do not want to be associated with them.

Watch the Mandalorian and the Clone Wars shows. They are way better, and know what the gently caress a narrative arc and character development are

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 21, 2019

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Onmi posted:

And Kylo was a Solo but when he died he was still the 'Last Skywalker'. So Name's don't mean poo poo compared to genetics as said by the movie itself.

TFA opens with the old guy telling Kylo he can't deny his bloodline by taking on a new name even, lmao

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

One last look at the hashtag, and all it does now is remind me that 63 million people voted for Trump.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Hobo Clown posted:

I actually thought his "I'M THE SPY" was hilarious and in character for Hux. He's an idiot and a blowhard, of course he'd announce it that way.

Now I want to see the movie with the characters from Team Fortress II playing all the leads.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Well, it used to count half-stars, now it doesn't anymore, because of complaints of "Russian Bot Trolls" for low review scores.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Horizon Burning posted:

there's this video clip where someone asks the big three about the surprise of stormtroopers that can fly and john boyega says 'i don't get why we're surprised, they've been using jetpacks since the clone wars!'

They fly now!

Honestly I think if theres one single thing (theres way more than that) that irks me the most about these new movies its the Disneyfication of them where every dangerous situation needs to have its tension completely curb stomped by witty quips. It sort of makes sense in the Marvel films because you have these demi-God type characters who are superhuman brushing stuff off. But things like the "they fly now!" or in TLJ the one that stuck out the most was when the hanger bay of Snokes ship which is blowing up all around them and Rose goes past on an AT-ST and is all "need a lift?" Comic relief can be great, if not necessary in your space wizard type movies, but it was way too much.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

thepokey posted:

They fly now!

Honestly I think if theres one single thing (theres way more than that) that irks me the most about these new movies its the Disneyfication of them where every dangerous situation needs to have its tension completely curb stomped by witty quips. It sort of makes sense in the Marvel films because you have these demi-God type characters who are superhuman brushing stuff off. But things like the "they fly now!" or in TLJ the one that stuck out the most was when the hanger bay of Snokes ship which is blowing up all around them and Rose goes past on an AT-ST and is all "need a lift?" Comic relief can be great, if not necessary in your space wizard type movies, but it was way too much.

I don't necessarily agree, I thought the few good parts of the prequels were Obi-Wan's quipping as an Errol Flynn style hero and his general quippy nature with Anakin. Like the entire opening of Revenge ending with them crashlanding a ship was full-on quippy banter.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
There was a guy near me in the theater that I think came in with shitted pants and he laughed at the they fly now quip all three times

And no it wasn't me

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Its Chocolate posted:

yeah this is a distinction that can be hard to see. JJ Abrams is conscious of original material insofar as he can use it for nostalgia bait nerd pandering at an aesthetic level, but he has no actual understanding of or respect for it. see also Star Trek

And yet despite that there is not a single Wilhelm scream in all of TROS.

SMH ABRAMS

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Onmi posted:

I don't necessarily agree, I thought the few good parts of the prequels were Obi-Wan's quipping as an Errol Flynn style hero and his general quippy nature with Anakin. Like the entire opening of Revenge ending with them crashlanding a ship was full-on quippy banter.

I guess it sort of works with 2 Jedi (like 2 superheroes) who are generally in control of a situation can work, and in moderation it can be ok too ... but in the ST it was just relentless and it was just the "Disney style" of it too.

Maybe, for whatever reason, it also worked with the prequels because it felt like 2 people who have known each other for a very long time riffing off each other. With the ST, with how bad the pacing is its hard to shake idea that these characters have actually known each other for any longer than the run-time of the 3 movies combined.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just realized something.

Rey’s status as the granddaughter of the Emperor makes her a princess. A Disney Princess.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
There's a secret deleted scene at the end in which Mrs. Palpatine comes out of the shadows to say, "Good riddance, you cackling fuckwit. Your plans were ridiculously overblown and you were bad in bed. Well, now the real work begins."

And it's Shohreh Angdashloo, who disdains Sith powers, preferring to rule through the power of colorful outfits and harsh language.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

MelancholyMark posted:

Still lolling over how they bring up Finn's crush on Rey and his force sensitivity multiple times then proceed to do absolutely nothing with either of them by the end of the movie

SPINOFFS

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
there's no goddamn way so much of this film wasn't slapped in at the last minute. just look at how bad it looks! luke coming out of the fire, the young luke and leia training... in the final confrontation, it's like rey and palpatine aren't even on the same set.

no wonder disney didn't want any making of books made.

how many loving ships did they cram into that shot of them arriving?

why did palpatine blast her with lightning and not just yeet her into the pit like he did with kylo

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Instead of finding sith tracking devices they have to find baby Yoda's and Kylo is a jerk because he crushes one with his hand

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Everyone posted:

Find out in Star Wars XII: The Fur of Palpatine.

For my part I hope Rian Johnson's trilogy picks up twenty or thirty years later with Rey and Finn's clearly mixed race daughter because "gently caress you people with this racial purity bullshit."

But Rian Johnson was the one who separated them in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gaunab posted:

But Rian Johnson was the one who separated them in the first place.

Rian Johnson kept them separated, yes, but JJ Abrams first separated them at the end of TFA.