Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Who the hell cares what a reviewer thinks of a Netflix show. If you already have Netflix just watch the first episode yourself and form your own drat opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

oldpainless posted:

He gives a lot of money to charity

If you keep more than a million dollars for yourself, your head should be given to charity.

Make this law.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Hello folks, I am a man and I have an opinion! My opinion is incredibly important because someone paid me to write it down. This means my opinion is more powerful than yours

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
So Im in this facebook group for Catholics that i joined to ask some questions on behalf of a friend a whike ago and kinda forgot about. It just showed up in my feed with some serious clashes between normal people and very angry conservatives and i couldnt help myself from.commenting on one and got called a dickhead for it by someone who would rather trust Rebel News than the UN.

not sure how to share images on Imgur but we'll give it a try.
http://imgur.com/a/0hPm9Hz

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

oldpainless posted:

He's given less money to charity than the money he's made from leaving his money in the stock market after he retired.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Idiots on social media coming from inside the thread

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Nuclear War posted:

So Im in this facebook group for Catholics that i joined to ask some questions on behalf of a friend a whike ago and kinda forgot about. It just showed up in my feed with some serious clashes between normal people and very angry conservatives and i couldnt help myself from.commenting on one and got called a dickhead for it by someone who would rather trust Rebel News than the UN.

not sure how to share images on Imgur but we'll give it a try.
http://imgur.com/a/0hPm9Hz

I'd rather believe what I want to believe than the truth, stick that up your clacker

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

Cool for announcing to everyone in the thread you're a giant loving dickface. They guy who doesn't like the Witcher gave up after watching three hours of it, not ten minutes.

Can someone edit that "shush, people are allowed to like things" comic to have him say "shush, people are allowed to dislike things." ?

I read the first five words of this post, then jumped to the middle, and I liked all of the words that I could be bothered to read which admittedly wasn't many of them

From this I can safely say that the post is really great, 8.9/10

And yes it took me three hours to come to this conclusion

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Who knew that "Critics should make an honest attempt to engage with the material they are reviewing" would be a controversial opinion? The one thing I will say for the guy is that at least he was up-front about half assing it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

"It bored me so much I couldn't get through these episodes" is a valid review if it's upfront like that. There were reviews like that for Bojack Horseman and it didn't invalidate the people who stuck with it and found that the long buildup paid off.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

It doesn't help that the witcher is in fact garbage too so the review also happens to be accurate :v:

Might have made a difference if it was actually good.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's about ethics in Entertainment Weekly article writing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CYBEReris posted:

"It bored me so much I couldn't get through these episodes" is a valid review if it's upfront like that. There were reviews like that for Bojack Horseman and it didn't invalidate the people who stuck with it and found that the long buildup paid off.

Bojack Horseman was a weird one. Netflix only sent the first six episodes out for review, so the critics actually couldn’t watch the payoff when reviewing the show.

But yeah, “holy poo poo this is so boring I couldn’t be paid to watch it” is a valid (and, for the Witcher, pretty accurate) review.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Charity is mostly just a trick to dodge taxes anyway, either directly by tax breaks or indirectly by making people think charity actually accomplishes poo poo. Pay a reasonable tax rate is infinitely more useful than any sort of charity.

Yavuz
Oct 9, 2019

A Sometimes Food posted:

Charity is mostly just a trick to dodge taxes anyway, either directly by tax breaks or indirectly by making people think charity actually accomplishes poo poo. Pay a reasonable tax rate is infinitely more useful than any sort of charity.

It also allows the big donors to wield undemocratic power over the creation of policy that generally doesn't affect them, so that's fun.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's like the tweet going around from when Gates did the whole "Um, I don't know I might have to think about voting for Trump over Warren if she's going to tax me even if I really don't want to" saber-rattling. Bill Gates would like you to believe that billionaires are a unique class of brilliant people who can far more effectively wield their money for the public good and taxing them would be petty and less effective than just letting them use their intelligence, connections and skills to make the world better. Also Bill Gates had no idea who Epstein was when he agreed to do press photos and almost form a permanent alliance to help his image, because really Gates and his people are dumb, awkward and didn't bother to research anything. He definitely didn't know, no need to look further.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Yeah, and he had about 50 billion dollars when he first pledged to give his money away, and now he has like 110 billion dollars.

Hmmmmmmmmm

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

I've done TV reviewing before. The trick if you really hate a show is to watch it at 2x speed.

“Pacing is off, and it’s very derivative of The Benny Hill Show. C- “

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So if you actually read his review, a big part of the problem is he doesn’t know the show is based on the books and keeps accusing the writers of ripping off other works or making dumb video game jokes when they’re actually using lines and plot points from books written decades ago.

https://twitter.com/voidburger/status/1208420218999050241?s=21

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Zzulu posted:

Hello folks, I am a man and I have an opinion! My opinion is incredibly important because someone paid me to write it down. This means my opinion is more powerful than yours

Wait you get paid for posting here? What the

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
This whole Rowling thing is infuriating not only for the bigotry, but for all of the people who don’t understand that the TERF lady sued because she lost her contracting gig after being disrespectful at best to staff members of the organization she was contracting with. It wasn’t like the TERFHunter General reported her to the Thought Police, the people she was working for didn’t want to renew her contract because she was disruptive and disrespectful in the workplace.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

so in teh witcher tv show does it have all the sorceresses and wizards like mostly naked and super slutry? because in sapkowskis books they are all like humdreds of years old but use magic glammers to make themselves look 20-30 years old and try to oitdo eaxh other by wearing transparent clothes or just forgoing clothes altogether. asking for a friend

sry i have fat fingers

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'd totally magic myself into being young and hot if I could

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

There’s a lot nekkid, yes.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Andrast posted:

I'd totally magic myself into being young and hot if I could

It's actually pretty exhausting I am constantly fending off attacks from fly honeys and telling people I'm not celebrity hottie Rock Hudson.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

https://twitter.com/sharrond62/status/1208312498086187009?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Are people trying to get their unsolicited bad takes out of the way before the new year or something?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Enough stereotypes!! Now, here are my own stereotypes of what a Real Woman is. If you don't have kids, periods, lactate, cook dinner, &c you can GET OUT

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I hate it when I'm forced to attend drag shows at gunpoint

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
*stares in childlessness*

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I wasn't rushing out a wholesome dinner, I had a pizza. Got no children to provide for, tho, which is probably for the best. Some of these people's worlds would fall apart if they found out some women are just as childless and barely capable of supporting themselves as any goony idiot man.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
Pizza is wholesome

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Me trying to come up with a socially acceptable excuse to hate minorities:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Fathis Munk posted:

Wait you get paid for posting here? What the

Oh did the check not clear? Everyone else here gets money from a secretive deep state in order to stop Q and coup the president.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Personally I've never juggled a child in my life even though I worked in nurseries with plenty of spare kids on hand. I'm obviously not woman enough.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Don Gato posted:

Oh did the check not clear? Everyone else here gets money from a secretive deep state in order to stop Q and coup the president.

For the payment to come through you have to maintain a certain political slant in your posts. I got tired of that a long time ago and just scripted myself a little app to insert slanted statements at random in my posts. It's good enough to fool the payment algorithm, and it's not very noticaCOMRADES, ALL HAIL GRETA, WE MUST STOP TRUMP AND HIS PATRIOTS AND MAKE HILLARY PRESIDENT SO SHE CAN DESTROY THE USAble at all, I think.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Zzulu posted:

Thank heavens you've arrived, Manman!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

chitoryu12 posted:

So if you actually read his review, a big part of the problem is he doesn’t know the show is based on the books and keeps accusing the writers of ripping off other works or making dumb video game jokes when they’re actually using lines and plot points from books written decades ago.
But the TV show wasn't made decades ago. If stuff from the books is coming across that way then maybe it should have been updated for the TV show made in 2019? A lot of stuff that worked for audiences in the '90s isn't going to be seen the same way or be as popular now.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

According to the off site forums, my posts are paid for by the something awful trans agenda

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Byzantine posted:

Pizza is wholesome

Wholesome is a word that I'm pretty sure has only existed in cereal commercials for the past thirty years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tiggum posted:

But the TV show wasn't made decades ago. If stuff from the books is coming across that way then maybe it should have been updated for the TV show made in 2019? A lot of stuff that worked for audiences in the '90s isn't going to be seen the same way or be as popular now.

“This plot point is a ripoff of The Magicians!” when the show is staying faithful to canon from decades before The Magicians existed is loving stupid.

“I can’t believe the new Indiana Jones movie just rips off the concept of Uncharted!”