Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

This is probably the most anime Duel Links match I've ever done.

Mirror match between Neos/Invoked decks in the Turbo Duel PvP event. We both build powerful boards and spend the entire game chipping away at each other's resources and stealing each other's graveyard monsters and trading blows and seeing who blinks first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New Yugioh series called Yugoih SEVENS Starting in Spring 2020 (4/1/2020). The designs look a lot simpler and seems to be focused on 'rush duels' (like duel link's speed duels, though with different rules). This is definitely meant for a younger audience, but that's probably a good thing to try to recruit new people into the game.

Also in Master Rule 5 summoning monsters from the extra deck is no longer restricted to the extra monster zone/link markers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Gonna be interesting to see what the new gimmick is, and how quickly it ends up rendering everything else obsolete.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

PMush Perfect posted:

Gonna be interesting to see what the new gimmick is, and how quickly it ends up rendering everything else obsolete.

There is no new gimmick. Rush dueling is an entirely separate product.

https://ygorganization.com/rush-duel-information/

quote:

As explained in this schedule, on the right side of the “April 2020” red bar in the middle, the product branches into the existing 11th product season of the Official Card Game (with Rise of the Duelist being the first product of the season) and Yu-Gi-Oh! Rush Duel (with an unnamed product). This also matches the premiere of the Yu-Gi-Oh! Sevens anime, as well as the application of the Master Rules April 1st 2020 Revision.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

"Summon as many monsters as you want and go +5 at the end of every turn" is going to make for an interesting meta.

Predictions time, which decks are going to see the biggest resurgence once they're not limited by Links any more? My guess is Synchros, just, as a whole.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

PMush Perfect posted:

"Summon as many monsters as you want and go +5 at the end of every turn" is going to make for an interesting meta.

Predictions time, which decks are going to see the biggest resurgence once they're not limited by Links any more? My guess is Synchros, just, as a whole.

Pendulum Summoning also is definitely improved by this change(if still slightly gimped due to the other changes still being up)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If people stop playing so many Link monsters, Ghostricks might make a comeback, but so many of the best monsters are still Links that that's probably not happening. :(

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Pendulum Summoning also is definitely improved by this change(if still slightly gimped due to the other changes still being up)

Pendulums are unaffected by this. It only applies to Fusion, Synchro, and Xyz monsters.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

drrockso20 posted:

Pendulum monsters from the extra deck and link monsters still have to be summoned to the extra monster zone or a main monster zone a link monster points too, but yeah the other extra deck monsters can be summoned to main monster zones again.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Wow that's dumb

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Monarchs are back baby! It's going to be hilarious to just summon Monarch after Monarch after Monarch with my eternal +5.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
There anything to the notion that this is just a short-term stopgap to tide the series over until the big anniversary in 2021?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I mean there's no way any of the modern stuff is gonna be legal in these Rush duels right, any more than you could play them in physical Speed Duels.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

"From the brief Q&A held at the JUMP Festa with the main cast, “Rush Duel” is a new concept created by the protagonist, Yuuga. Apparently he doesn’t like the concept of “rules”, but rather building his own road forward (of course “road” being a pun on his own name)."

PLAYGROUND RULES YUGIOH IS BACK, I SUMMON THOUSAND EYES RESTRICT FROM MY HAND

LunarCress
Feb 7, 2015

So does anyone think that this is the end of speed duels? I mean konami hasn't exactly been flooding it with support, and with rush duels looking to be even more streamlined and beginner friendly, I can't really see konami bothering with a third format that needs it's own product.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Copypost from the other Yu-Gi-Oh thread because I don't remember which is anime and which is game...though this is a mix of both so...

https://gematsu.com/2019/12/yu-gi-oh-legacy-of-the-duelist-link-evolution-coming-to-ps4-xbox-one-and-pc

Link Evolution will make it's way to PS4, PC, and Xbox One in 2020.

There will be a new free update on the Switch version that will boost it to over 10,000 cards (including "Crystron Halqifibrax "Firewall Dragon Darkfluid" and "1:P Masquerena") and will complete the VRAINS story.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I imagine Speed Duels will continue, due to being compatible with the regular game and also because of the nostalgia factor going for it

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

ThermoPhysical posted:

There will be a new free update on the Switch version that will boost it to over 10,000 cards (including "Crystron Halqifibrax "Firewall Dragon Darkfluid" and "1:P Masquerena") and will complete the VRAINS story.

noice

would be neat to see them update the rules to match the upcoming changes to extra deck stuff, too, but i guess they'll save that as one of the incentives to sell a new iteration of the game once Sevens starts

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

LunarCress posted:

So does anyone think that this is the end of speed duels? I mean konami hasn't exactly been flooding it with support, and with rush duels looking to be even more streamlined and beginner friendly, I can't really see konami bothering with a third format that needs it's own product.

This is the death of Speed Duels. Japan doesn’t have Speed Duels so I can’t see TCG bothering to keep them around once Rush Duels start.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Vandar posted:

This is the death of Speed Duels. Japan doesn’t have Speed Duels so I can’t see TCG bothering to keep them around once Rush Duels start.

I imagine the difference is that while Japan has some nostalgia for the original series it's nowhere near as strong as it is here in the US, and again while Speed Duels officially only allow their own cards to be used in them, said cards are fully usable with the regular game, so they wouldn't necessarily be cannibalizing the potential sales for Rush Duels which use their own completely separate type of cards from what I've read*

*which honestly I could see causing problems for it being accepted as a format, at least among the more hardcore fans

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Rush Duels largely aren't aimed at hardcore fans. They're an attempt to get back the younger audience they're haemorrhaging to other IPs like Pokemon. With the anime to advertise them, they're probably hoping they don't need to depend on OCG Master Duel players being interested, as opposed to Speed Duels which you only know exist if you're already playing Yu-Gi-Oh!.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Julias posted:

Pendulum monsters from the extra deck and link monsters still have to be summoned to the extra monster zone or a main monster zone a link monster points too, but yeah the other extra deck monsters can be summoned to main monster zones again.

Lmao why do they specifically hate pendulums

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Pendulums are still restricted so you can’t summon five monsters at once and do dumb Link plays from it.

They’re remaining restricted to keep Link climbing from getting even more out of hand.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

mandatory lesbian posted:

Pendulums at the end of MR3 were a real problem. As long as they were properly summoned once, Pendulum Monsters could just keep coming back super easily. Links were made to be a specific nerf to them, but they hit the rest of the game too hard

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Justin_Brett posted:

I mean there's no way any of the modern stuff is gonna be legal in these Rush duels right, any more than you could play them in physical Speed Duels.

Rush Duels can only be played with Rush Duel cards. You can't play them with basic YGO cards, so no. It's a completely separate format which will likely grow on its own way, like Speed Duels did.

That said, the biggest difference here is that Rush Duel cards already have monsters that don't exist in the main card game, so I wonder if those will get released there too or not. Also, we don't know anything about an Extra Deck existing there, but we also know very little right now.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I feel like the speed duel meta already meaningfully exists in Duel Links and so I won’t be to sad if the physical version goes

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Speed Duels are a pretty significantly different game from Duel Links, which at this point is just TCG-but-not with even more predatory power creep. The format has some neat things. It's probably doomed not to last for similar reasons to DL though, so it would have been worth killing sooner or later.

Pendulums weren't just a problem at the end of MR3, but all throughout MR4 despite the rules changes. In both cases, it was more due to absolutely careless card design rather than an inherent problem with the mechanic, but it is what it is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I haven't been keeping up, what's the DL meta looking like right now?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AlphaKretin posted:

Pendulums weren't just a problem at the end of MR3, but all throughout MR4 despite the rules changes. In both cases, it was more due to absolutely careless card design rather than an inherent problem with the mechanic, but it is what it is.

Honestly the only real issue with the pendulum mechanic in my opinion was the ability to recur a bunch of them from the extra deck each turn. If you left it simply as a way to summon a bunch of guys out of your hand, then it would have been an easy to stop risk-vs reward gimmick available to some decks, along with giving cards in an archetype dual utility in being either a monster or spell for the situation, which is absolutely fair and not really abusive.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

I haven't been keeping up, what's the DL meta looking like right now?

Invoked/Elementsabers, Blackwings and Darklords are top-tier. There was an Invoked build that used Vehicroids which was top tier for about a couple weeks until a f/l list killed it, but it was probably the most relevant Vehicroids have been & ever will be. Ritual Beasts also have a strong showing but are kept in check by just automatically losing to Invoked Purgatrio.

Shiranui came out in the last set and is gaining some popularity, but I'm not sure it competes with the top tier, since it fills the same niche as Blackwings and doesn't seem to do it as well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've still got my BEWD, my semi-budget Six Sams and my AGRD decks, but I don't know if I want to bother reinstalling just to play months-old decks that I spent too many gems on but're now just underpowered rogues.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

AlphaKretin posted:

Speed Duels are a pretty significantly different game from Duel Links, which at this point is just TCG-but-not with even more predatory power creep. The format has some neat things. It's probably doomed not to last for similar reasons to DL though, so it would have been worth killing sooner or later.

Wait, isn't Duel Links all about speed duels?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The Bee posted:

It's Speed Duels, but with a new full-sized box released every other month, and we all know how good Konami is at reining in power creep. At the start, Axe Raider was a staple card for being a level 4 with 1700 attack. Now, three years later...

Skeleton Mom posted:

Invoked/Elementsabers, Blackwings and Darklords are top-tier. There was an Invoked build that used Vehicroids which was top tier for about a couple weeks until a f/l list killed it, but it was probably the most relevant Vehicroids have been & ever will be. Ritual Beasts also have a strong showing but are kept in check by just automatically losing to Invoked Purgatrio.

Shiranui came out in the last set and is gaining some popularity, but I'm not sure it competes with the top tier, since it fills the same niche as Blackwings and doesn't seem to do it as well.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The Bee posted:

Duel Links uses Speed Duels in the sense of 3 zones, half-deck, half LP, 4 card hand, but is distinct from the TCG Speed Duel line of products which uses its own card pool and skills, and that's what we're discussing maybe getting replaced by the OCG's new low-power alternate format line of products. Duel Links is still going strong for the foreseeable future, it's a very successful gacha game that doesn't really conflict with IRL product. (For added fun, VRAINS' depiction of Speed Duels is separate from both).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So I'm trying to find a modern reasonably good deck type to use, the thing is not counting Duel Links or other simulators I haven't really played at all since like 2015(and probably haven't played a remotely serious real world match since approximately 2007), so I need something that is really braindead simple to play, I tried out a Salamangreat deck my brother has that he was willing to loan me, but even that is too complex for me to really find particularly pleasant to play

So yeah I need something that is really brainless to play in terms of complexity, bonus points if it's also cheap to acquire the needed cards, a couple deck styles I've played that I like include Ancient Gears and Dinomists to give an example of the equivalent degree of complexity I'm looking for

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Rank10 earth machines. The right combination of trains and infinitracks will make you a consistent otk deck with a 6k beater boss that can swing as many times as materials he has. No difficult combos, just big beefy machine xyzs and also those cool spiders.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Charles Bukowski posted:

Rank10 earth machines. The right combination of trains and infinitracks will make you a consistent otk deck with a 6k beater boss that can swing as many times as materials he has. No difficult combos, just big beefy machine xyzs and also those cool spiders.

Yeah those look good, though I guess I forgot another requirement, whatever deck I make needs to be something I can assemble for really cheap too(like 50 bucks max, and I'd rather spend under 30 if possible)

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

well with the master rule changes coming, some older decks cheap decks like Fluffals or various R4 spam decks are going to be pretty dang playable... but until then it's kinda hard to know which ones are good or which ones will be preemptively hit by the banlist

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah those look good, though I guess I forgot another requirement, whatever deck I make needs to be something I can assemble for really cheap too(like 50 bucks max, and I'd rather spend under 30 if possible)
Monarchs?

I broke that back out a few months ago, and with a few tech additions/tweaks like adding some kaiju and Danger Dogman, you've got a cheap-as-hell rogue deck that doesn't give two shits about what happens with new Extra Deck master rules. And, bonus points, the deck actually wants to not have an Extra Deck, so you don't have to go hunt down any staples that wouldn't go straight in your main deck.

Edit: Are Mask Change HERO decks still cheap?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I've been playing Fur Hire lately as a cheap deck which is easy to play. Spam the field with monsters and hope for the best.