Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Spider-Man three was the very first movie that i remember that taught me movies can be boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

You can't post this and not say what it is.

The answer was simultaneously the most obvious (that you might think up yourself) and yet the most idiotic they could have chosen. "He's white because Section 31 surgically altered him to be so." :downs:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I can't get over the duel wielding sidequest in scarlet Graces
Ok I'm going to go in this fairy concoon to learn duel wielding. Oh hi I'm back! You said I was in there for 7 days, felt like 3 years for me strange how I haven't age! Back to our adventure!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

Aww poo poo, the arland games are on sales... Tempting but does it have more of the puzzle poo poo like in lydie and suelle because I am terrible at that.

Edit: if I buy it from the Australia Nintendo Eshop, do I have to worry about high sexual impact content cuts or whatever

iirc correctly I don't think any content was actually cut from it, it just has the bizarrely high rating for a few off-colour jokes

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i've seen the reddit atelier say tiffani drunkenly groping the poo poo out of totori and rorona being what got their two games the R rating

meruru and lulua have no tiffani ergo no R rating

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

The only part of 3 that really bugged me was... like, come on hit Sandman with water already. You shouldn't have to be a genius to come up with something like that.

lol if you think peter parker reads one piece

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is a bit random but I'm replaying Skyrim with mods and I got the Ordinator mod that overhauls perks and one perk it added was Vancian Magic. You get 20 spells at double power and then you are out. You have to rest at an inn or your home to recharge them.

This reminds me of when I first played Final Fantasy III. People on here poo poo on the remake a lot but gently caress if it didn't have the best magic system ever in the series. Magic was split off into tiers with each Job Class having access to a certain number of points in each tier. So, random example with made up numbers:
Black Mags could use Tier 1 spells like Fire 15 times.
They could use Tier 2 spells like Fira 10 times.
And they could use Tier 3 spells Firaga 5 times.

There were more tiers than that and I was told this entire system was lifted from D&D and is called Vancian Magic. I then concluded Vancian Magic is the best loving thing ever and I hate that they abandoned it for the generic universal MP pool. And regenerating Magicka sucks, too.

I want more games that have a Vancian style system. I'm told Suikoden does something similar?

And of course the D&D video games use Vancian Magic. I got Neverwinter Nights EE while it was on sale on Steam.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm told Suikoden does something similar?

I haven't played the last one(Suikoden 5), and you're better off pretending Suikoden 4 didn't happen, but yeah, magic functions much in that way.

Differences are that it's not class based, as there is no class system. Just tons of characters with varying skills, abilities and rune slots. The more magically inclined a character is, the more runes you are likely to be able to equip on them, for a total of 3. Runes do everything from granting spells to special attacks to stat bonuses, etc.

Magical Runes vary by element and are sometimes tiered as well(meaning the more powerful ones eschew basic spells for more powerful spells), but the ability to cast them is directly based on each individual characters stats. So while you could give that warrior dude a Flowing Rune, they might end up with a spread of 2/1/1/0 spells, while your caster guy would have something more like 8/4/4/2 or something like that.

While it doesn't have a traditional class system, Suikoden allows for up to 6 characters in a party out of 40+ characters you recruit.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Suikoden also has some of the best "gag" characters ever and i always make it a point to grab the squirrel in the start of 2 because his silent presence makes the rescue scene so much better

Million Ghosts fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 21, 2019

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
You got your expected assortment of knights, wizards, ninjas, elves...

And then you got your caped squirrels, kobolds, werewolves, vampires, an octopus family, a bunch of stray dogs, some griffins, a unicorn...

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
hey thread i'm gonna play valkyrie profile for the first time as my holiday season jrpg, what should i know before going in

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Relax Or DIE posted:

hey thread i'm gonna play valkyrie profile for the first time as my holiday season jrpg, what should i know before going in

don't stress out too much about time limits or withholding loot from odin cause it's actually really easy to maintain a steady schedule and you'll get all the Good Valkyrie Points you need to progress by just sending up the people he asks for, maybe do keep a guide open if you want to plan for getting the true ending, play on hard cause hard just gives you more dungeons with better gear

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

play on hard mode, which is actually easier than the other modes but has more content
you get rad stuff for sending guys up to valhalla that meet all chapter requirements
if you want the 'best' ending you'll probably need a guide because most people find unlocking it to be esoteric

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Million Ghosts posted:

Suikoden also has some of the best "gag" characters ever and i always make it a point to grab the squirrel in the start of 2 because his silent presence makes the rescue scene so much better

That plus the escape scene a little later which randomizes your party based on the few recruits you have at the time, so there's always a strong chance you'll find yourself running for your life with a squad composition featuring a flying squirrel, a wolf, a dogperson, a ronin dude who can't pay his inn tabs, a sailor girl and her demon pet, and a toddler who throws pebbles.

And then, if you're like me, you exploit the gate glitch to sequence break into Matilda 30 hours early so you can turn all those misfits into stone cold killers.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Relax Or DIE posted:

Some weapons (usually comically strong ones) have a %chance to break on every turn, so make sure you have a backup handy before you pick a fight.

1) If you win a battle on the first turn, the fight ends before the turn resolves, and you stuff won't break.

2) Wands can only break if you use a Great Magic attack with them, so you can just.. not use Great Magic and coast off the massive stats.

3) All the voice actors are from Pokémon and it will never actually stop being weird.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Transmutation or whatever it's called is how you get about a third of the broken items in the game
Another third are dungeon treasure
The final third are gotten by re-entering towns after recruiting characters, and they'll give you one of their possessions

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Delsaber posted:

And then, if you're like me, you exploit the gate glitch to sequence break into Matilda 30 hours early so you can turn all those misfits into stone cold killers.

despite playing Suiko2 at least 4 times, i've never done the Matilda glitch. the game isn't like, hard in any way except maaaaybe loving yourself through saving before a boss fight or two. plus the whole quest that area is associated with is boring and the characters are too. though playing through the game with only joke animals does sound rad

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Half the fun of replaying Suikoden games is playing with what party/rune combinations you can muster

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Million Ghosts posted:

despite playing Suiko2 at least 4 times, i've never done the Matilda glitch. the game isn't like, hard in any way except maaaaybe loving yourself through saving before a boss fight or two. plus the whole quest that area is associated with is boring and the characters are too. though playing through the game with only joke animals does sound rad

The pro strat for abusing the Matilda gate glitch is, you do it and gain a bunch of levels, but then die on purpose to revert to your previous save's position and play clock with your midgame exp levels intact. Now instead of crawling through the first part of the game, always worrying if such-and-such boss is going to wipe you out, you can blow through it and cheese everything up to the point where you normally do that segment. The whole area where you have to carefully comb through the ruins behind Alex's house with lovely party members--no Flik, no Viktor, and worst case, the rng sticks you with Millie (ugh) and Kinnison without Shiro (uuuuggggghhhh)--is now so cruise. Slap a Fire Rune on the main character for good aoes and then just nuke everything else with your basically unlimited high level target-all Black Sword spells, save the one cast you probably have of its lv4 to one-shot the boss :getin:

North Window, no problem, Khan will join you at a high level and you can cheese the boss there now that he can actually cast high-level Resurrection Rune spells. Two River, ez game ez life, the hero and Nanami leveled to their 40s won't even flinch against that rat boss. These are all challenging and slow sections simply because your options are limited, but if you have two characters who can cast a couple lv4 spells, your options are now very, very open.

The why:

You're doing this strictly to shave about five or six hours off your game clock for Clive's sidequest.

e: this also pumps your Luck stat, so rng-based minigames like gambling against Tai Ho just to advance the story are now way more reasonable.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 21, 2019

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The White Dragon posted:

The whole area where you have to carefully comb through the ruins behind Alex's house with lovely party members--no Flik, no Viktor, and worst case, the rng sticks you with Millie (ugh) and Kinnison without Shiro (uuuuggggghhhh)--is now so cruise.

Yeah, the Sindar ruins alone are annoying enough with a bad party that I find it worth sneaking into Matilda just far enough to get Humphrey and Futch, even if I don't always stick around to powerlevel or finish their sidequest right away. It's not as big a deal after the ruins though, since there's solid recruits like Anita waiting in Muse to replace those ham 'n' egger jabronis the game usually sticks you with after the fort.

Planting Humphrey in the front row and watching him tank all physical attacks for 1 damage is also nice to have that early. I can never remember how long it takes to find a full knight like Humphrey normally, and by then a walking shield wall is maybe less useful anyway compared to all the super fast and versatile M-range folks who start showing up in the midgame.

Suikoden owns, someone should make a new one.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
the Clive quest i'll give in is stupid, but losing at Chinchirorin for a couple hours is the essential Suiko2 experience

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

and also spiderman was the assistant to the world's leading physicist in literally the previous movie, you think thatd be his first idea when seeing a dude made out of sand

Mostly just in the last fight when people are just standing around watching it happen. The first one I'll give him because they're in the back of a moving armored car and it's a lot more difficult to get water in that than if they were just in an intersection.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

If you're willing to do two playthroughs (the game's not that long), normal and hard have several dungeons exclusive between them, and i would suggest playing normal without worrying about missing things, and then playing hard mode and looking things up to get all of the cool poo poo and the best ending

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Million Ghosts posted:

the Clive quest i'll give in is stupid, but losing at Chinchirorin for a couple hours is the essential Suiko2 experience

I suppose it's worth mentioning to anyone interested in playing the Suikoden that it's worth scoping out an FAQ if they are looking to recruit all 108 characters. The Clive quest is one thing, and it's basically just a side-story you're more of a witness to than a participant of. But you can actually screw yourself out of finishing the list of 108 by recruiting one of the extra characters in the second one, and the amount of backtracking you need to do for some characters due to the small window of recruit time can be easily missed.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

But you can actually screw yourself out of finishing the list of 108 by recruiting one of the extra characters in the second one

you can, but it takes a good amount of dedication to a total unknown afaik nobody anywhere even mentions abizboah and on top of that you have to pull a blind play twice

in fact, i actually still don't know where abizboah even lives :v:, and i've done everything else there is to do in suikoden 2

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 21, 2019

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

The White Dragon posted:

you can, but it takes a good amount of dedication to a total unknown afaik nobody anywhere even mentions abizboah and on top of that you have to pull a blind play twice

in fact, i actually still don't know where abizboah even lives :v:, and i've done everything else there is to do in suikoden 2

It's one of the more extreme examples, yeah. You're handed a very limited number of Hearing Stones(?) and there's nothing indicating that one of the characters you recruit with them technically doesn't count towards the 108. Which is odd and might be unexpected as in that same game you have to choose between two characters(both returning from the previous game), and whichever one you choose will take up the respective Star slot.

And it's weird quirks like that which make an FAQ necessary if the recruitment of the 108 stars is important to the player.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

You got your expected assortment of knights, wizards, ninjas, elves...

And then you got your caped squirrels, kobolds, werewolves, vampires, an octopus family, a bunch of stray dogs, some griffins, a unicorn...

Can't believe you forgot the halberd-wielding ducks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I haven't played the last one(Suikoden 5), and you're better off pretending Suikoden 4 didn't happen, but yeah, magic functions much in that way.

Differences are that it's not class based, as there is no class system. Just tons of characters with varying skills, abilities and rune slots. The more magically inclined a character is, the more runes you are likely to be able to equip on them, for a total of 3. Runes do everything from granting spells to special attacks to stat bonuses, etc.

Magical Runes vary by element and are sometimes tiered as well(meaning the more powerful ones eschew basic spells for more powerful spells), but the ability to cast them is directly based on each individual characters stats. So while you could give that warrior dude a Flowing Rune, they might end up with a spread of 2/1/1/0 spells, while your caster guy would have something more like 8/4/4/2 or something like that.

While it doesn't have a traditional class system, Suikoden allows for up to 6 characters in a party out of 40+ characters you recruit.

Sounds interesting. I'll definitely have to play these soon. Thank you.

Also it occurs to me that Chrono Cross has a pretty similar system to what I was asking about and CC has my favorite battle system in any JRPG.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

OddObserver posted:

Can't believe you forgot the halberd-wielding ducks.

I knew I was forgetting something! :wotwot:

NikkolasKing posted:

Sounds interesting. I'll definitely have to play these soon. Thank you.

Also it occurs to me that Chrono Cross has a pretty similar system to what I was asking about and CC has my favorite battle system in any JRPG.

Oh yeah, if you like character combos and the like, Suikoden has that too. Not as elaborate as Chrono Trigger perhaps -- and some are downright gags -- but that's also there if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Sherry Bahm fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 21, 2019

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The Wizardry games use it too, if you like dungeon crawlers and drawing your own maps. I just played through Wizardry IV gaiden (Japanese SNES exclusive wizardry. Not to be confused with the regular Wizardry IV, which hates you) recently with the english translation patch and it was really fun.

There's four schools of magic and a bunch of classes can learn spells from one of them, but they'll learn spells at different speeds - a mage will get high tier mage spells much sooner than a samurai, for example. When you change class you keep access to any tiers of magic you had before, so you can make a Valkyrie with alchemy spells or whatever. It's cool.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Are the lil shark dudes from Tierkreis also in previous games? They were really cute :3:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

goblin week posted:

Are the lil shark dudes from Tierkreis also in previous games? They were really cute :3:
nah, every suikoden game has its own race of little animals. 1 and 2 have squirrels and dog people, 3 had the ducks, 4 had cat people, and 5 had beavers, so tierkries has the sharks

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I thought the cat folk were really cute. Too bad they were attached to a game that never happened!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I thought the cat folk were really cute. Too bad they were attached to a game that never happened!

suikoden tactics is okay, imo

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Endorph posted:

suikoden tactics is okay, imo

Are they in that one too? Never played it. And if so, I might just give it a try.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Are they in that one too? Never played it. And if so, I might just give it a try.

every character from iv is playable in tactics minus warlock for some reason

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I've never understood how and why Jedi don't just loving fly. There's plenty of instances of using the force on living beings and at the very least Yoda's fight in Ep2 was a clear instance of someone enhancing their physical strength.

OTOH Force Ghosts are less "I 'm an undead apparition" and more "I'm an immortal ascended being whose only downside is they're incorporeal, which honestly isn't a downside."

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've never understood how and why Jedi don't just loving fly. There's plenty of instances of using the force on living beings and at the very least Yoda's fight in Ep2 was a clear instance of someone enhancing their physical strength.
because it would've been a really inconvenient power to build scenes around

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i've just started playing ff7 (switch) for the first time and i'm about to enter Shinra HQ, is there anything important i should know, game-wise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
e: Oh hey, new page, let's lead it off right then:

goblin week posted:

gently caress Suikoden Tierkreis :colbert:

Million Ghosts posted:

The glitch is worth doing if you're speed running because getting even a single win in battle there will jack you up to level 40+ in a hurry. Alternately: You can go recruit Humphrey and Fitch earlier than normal, but you have to finish their side quest otherwise you'll eventually softlock your game due to mandatory party member issues.

Then after you recruit them, you can take Fitch for the school section of the game and since he shouldn't be available he has no lines and spouts a bunch of mangled text when he talks. :laugh:

Plus if you're using a Suikoden 1 save file, Humphrey can pretty much solo their side quest boss as long as you gave him some Windspun Armor in 1 and got him some end game level/sharpen boosts since they partially carry over in to 2 as well.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I suppose it's worth mentioning to anyone interested in playing the Suikoden that it's worth scoping out an FAQ if they are looking to recruit all 108 characters. The Clive quest is one thing, and it's basically just a side-story you're more of a witness to than a participant of. But you can actually screw yourself out of finishing the list of 108 by recruiting one of the extra characters in the second one, and the amount of backtracking you need to do for some characters due to the small window of recruit time can be easily missed.

The first squirrel (who is a 108 star unlike the other squirrels) is such an rear end in a top hat to recruit. You either search a tree with no indication you need to, or that it does anything, and suddenly you have a new character following you. If you don't do this you have to use Riou and solo outside of Two River to find them, but if you're past a certain point in the game you can never get them from there either iirc.

Suikoden 2 is great but anyone who wants to recruit all 108 characters in a Suikoden game for the True Ending absolutely should have a spoiler-free FAQ with them. The detectives in 5 are a similar case of "if you don't do this one random thing you can recruit them later but only if you do a bunch of other stuff frequently enough before point X in the game." Suikoden 5 also has two different characters who take the same star slot, which is honestly kinda neat and something they Konami needs to do when they stop loving around and make a real Suikoden 6.

And nobody should play 4. Suikoden Tactics is alright, but if you really want the benefits of a S4 save file for tactics (and you do because Lazlo's OP as hell) just find a save file somewhere to download. S4 was bad enough to tank the series despite 5 making a valiant effort to save it. Then the DS and PSP games finished what S4 started...