Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Look Sir Droids posted:

When I find S+ dudes out in the field, after I extract them I can’t find them in the Brig or the New Recruits list. Does the game just immediately file them in the right group and forget you Fultoned them? Is the game scamming me and downgrading them to S rank?

Next time I see one, I’m going to extract just that dude and leave so I can track him easier.

There are no S+ dudes in the field. Sometimes there’s an S ranked guy with the “Bragger” trait or whatever that inflates all their displayed stats by one level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
So I have been scammed. :negative:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

*Boss strides up and grabs their CV* We don't lie about our abilities to comrades

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Those things are finicky sometimes and downright tedious. The optimal strat for the helicopters is boring as gently caress. And those tank fights where you don’t have enough Fultons to clear all the backup can go wrong in a lot of ways. Setting up the traps to get the tank to accidentally murder part of the backup crew for you, just ugh.

E: I don’t recall the Fulton bazooka helping because you gave to stealth the whole thing to get the commander to pop out. I don’t think you can S rank then any other way. If you’re not going for the S, just kill everything.

You don't have to stealth the whole fight, but you do need to bring enough firepower to take off most of the vehicle's health before the commander will appear. You can still manage an S rank like this. Fortunately, just killing everyone and getting a C is plenty, for most of the fights.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Look Sir Droids posted:

MGS V gets better every time I learn more about it

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Look Sir Droids posted:

Not only that, you have a whole base of braggers. Every meal on Mother Base is now a non-stop chorus of one-upsmanship.

I swear, the Sahelanthropus I fought was this big.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Quiet is by far the worst companion until you reach max loyalty. It's rather obnoxious. Even then, she loves to shoot people who spot you as you are acting on them, which is still annoying.

IIRC you can see the Boaster and Troublemaker skills in the int scope. Everyone who has them deserves to die.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 17, 2019

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

CassandraZara posted:

There are no S+ dudes in the field. Sometimes there’s an S ranked guy with the “Bragger” trait or whatever that inflates all their displayed stats by one level.

99% sure I've seen s+ dudes in extreme missions and possibly in the field. I suspect the rank of dudes that appears depends on your PF rank or FOB rank or something. If you have higher level then you get higher level dudes.

Also quiet is fine, just develop the tranq rifle for her and then the worst she can do is put some dude to sleep.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paul MaudDib posted:

99% sure I’ve seen s+ dudes in extreme missions and possibly in the field.

99% sure you haven’t, but a screenshot would be enough to convince me.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I’ve seen S+ dudes. I just don’t recall seeing the Boaster trade when you scan them. I’ll screenshot the next time I see, but they’re about as rare as farming titanite slabs off darkwraiths in DS1.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’ve seen S+ dudes. I just don’t recall seeing the Boaster trade when you scan them. I’ll screenshot the next time I see, but they’re about as rare as farming titanite slabs off darkwraiths in DS1.

Scope needs to be upgraded to display traits I am pretty sure.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Meridian posted:

Scope needs to be upgraded to display traits I am pretty sure.

My dude, I bought at launch. My scope is upgraded. It may say Boaster and I’m just not noticing it.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Update: I ran across another S+ dude in the field and it does indeed show up as Boaster on the scope.

Also, I feel like something weird is going on with my game. Machine guns, mortars, resource containers, etc aren’t repopulating. It’s been like two weeks in some spots and the AA gun that’s supposed to be there hasn’t come back. Even some side ops where a mortar spawns in for the guards to use specifically for that mission, the mortar isn’t spawning in. The only thing that repopulates are the little briefcases of processed materials, ammo available at camps, and like, some jeeps. I guess plants are regrowing too.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
IIRC, the only way to make "time pass" and repopulate the world is to complete main missions. You need to complete six, I think. It can be the same mission (C2W is the fastest if destroy the radars with the helicopter), as long as you complete it six times.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Stuff has repopulated on its own without me doing that. I haven’t played a single main mission since I reinstalled and OKB, Nova Braga, etc all repopulated multiple times. Now it just stopped. I’ll give the main mission thing a shot though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I always thought that was a weird setup since I first found out about it. It feels like other stuff should still progress time, just at a small fraction of the rate. Given all the other invisible counters and stuff buried in the game, that one just feels primitive.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Movement or loading screens or IRL time might have something to do with it, it’s the same as whatever refreshes the combat deployment missions to whittle down enemy equipment. Might actually be missions, but side mission inclusive.

If you’re low on funds and have CARGO+ fultons it’s usually cheaper to leave yourself one container and ride it to the sky instead of incurring the cost of calling a helicopter. Quicker, too. It’s one of those little touches that earns Kojima his reputation

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

leave yourself one container and ride it to the sky

That's one of my favorite things to do now, but I'll always be a little salty because I came up with that idea in my first playthrough but somehow missed the prompt and decided it was not included as a mechanic. Didn't even find it out and try again until way into my second playthrough :sigh:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

You just go to the menu and Return to ACC. You don’t have to call the helicopter in.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Doesn't that load your last checkpoint? Which, fair if you game that system, but still.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Yes, but if you do it right after you hit a checkpoint, you miss nothing. If you’re free roaming you hit checkpoints all the time.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
is there a mod to make tranqs last forever or do they just not want players to do things stealthily, in mgsv

i dont remember having an issue with this in other mgs games

Relin fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 23, 2019

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Oh tranqs always worked like that in older games. Most often though you would be out of an are before it wore off.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Relin posted:

is there a mod to make tranqs last forever or do they just not want players to do things stealthily, in mgsv

Hold up the enemy and tell them to "get down." They won't move again unless another soldier finds them or you cause an alert I think.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Relin posted:

Tranqs never lasted forever but on easier difficulties they lasted a long time and since the areas were segmented you could be 4 rooms away before they would have.

If you kick them awake but hold them up (or tell them to “get down” if they’re standing) they will stay that way even if you head to the other side of the map and then back again an hour later. The only way they get up is if another guards finds them or you trigger a full alert.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
IIRC guards also have a fairly conservative activation range, and will essentially pause most processes (including waking up) if you put enough distance between you and them. Might not solve whatever issues you're having, but it's good to know about.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Doing the get down treatment on all the guards in a base is a pretty fun challenge, because the chain/ripple effect when you gently caress up is a terrible time for all.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Choking lasts the longest in terms of non-lethal takedowns, with a judo throw being the shortest. The downside is that when they do actually wake up they’ll call in an alert for being attacked, whereas a tranq’d enemy will not as long as there’s nobody else in their field of view who’s out and no stolen weapons / resources on their loop.

Likewise, if a patrol sees a tranq’d enemy fall they will recognize it as being some sort of attack, but if they come across a single sleeping enemy they’ll assume that enemy is simply lazy and wake them up without calling in an alert. A stunned enemy is always an alert if found. For a ghost run where you plan on sticking around, you’ll want to isolate enemies before tranqing them, and refrain from stealing anything besides diamonds, be they weapons or resource cases. Missing land rovers will be noticed but you can prank transport truck drivers without causing an alert.

No matter the method of neutralization, an enemy will never wake up on their own if placed in a container. Toilet, dumpster etc. That includes being the passenger seats of vehicles, but patrols can notice and revive knocked out passengers.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 23, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I know I’ve seen a video of someone knocking out an enemy by konking them on the head with a thrown magazine, but I’ve never managed to actually pull it off. How does that work?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
When an enemy is doing their surprise animation, anything that hits them in the head will KO them.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You have to hit them in the head with a magazine during the slow-motion just caught you moment.

I wind up watching the Chip Cheezum LP even when I have the game just because he shows off all these weird little things that would never occur to me.

No worrying about people waking up when they're tied to a balloon though.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wind up watching the Chip Cheezum LP even when I have the game just because he shows off all these weird little things that would never occur to me.

Vapour snake is reason enough to watch the LP.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

And if the video you saw didn’t have the slow motion presumably it still works if you manage to do it during the guards “Oh poo poo!” animation, similar to how shooting the exclamation point in earlier titles knocked them out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Is reflex mode just a heads-up and some variable slowdown on top of normal mechanics? Neat if so, I never thought much about it but vaguely assumed it was something more.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah. Turn it off if you want smoother gameplay or are going for points, turn it on if you want an easier time or want to do badass bullshit.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah. Turn it off if you want smoother gameplay or are going for points, turn it on if you want an easier time or want to do badass bullshit.

Oh that's cool, it always felt like it must be helping you out more somehow. I like it (and need the help) but it's good that it's a selectable option.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It’s basically there to give you a chance to headshot tranq / kill / grab a guard before they can raise the alarm. You have a grace period of a fraction of a second to grab / shoot them after it ends in case you’re a laggard. You don’t get it in FOB missions, generally, unless you expend resources to counteract the anti-reflex meth they give guards.

The closest you’ll get to classic MGS is running with a character other than Big Boss. Some will naturally have the passive upgrades that BB gets for the bionic arm (faster movement or reloading, longer reflex) but are otherwise divested. They make lure noise by cracking their knuckles instead of clapping a robohand, though. It’s gross.

MGS5 is the best game if you don’t care about anime

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kibayasu posted:

And if the video you saw didn’t have the slow motion presumably it still works if you manage to do it during the guards “Oh poo poo!” animation, similar to how shooting the exclamation point in earlier titles knocked them out.
Every day I learn something new Kojima did.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
E: fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Relevant to earlier chat:
https://i.imgur.com/7s7BGkc.mp4
It gives you a little reward bell if you do it right :3: