Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

I think there's at least three scottish guys.

the guy who said rory stewart looks like a horse in a oval office suit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

OwlFancier posted:

I think there's at least three scottish guys.

And they need to be kept apart at all times.

Edit: I would argue that the Scots ruined Pictland.

Braggart fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 21, 2019

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Hey Camrath, fudge was delivered, fudge was eaten (by the kids), fudge was roundly praised - nice one!

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

The fudge has been judged.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Corbyn (or his leadership team; in the end the buck stops at the same desk) went to remarkable lengths to keep I/P alive as an issue when it was distinctly an unforced course of action. As a theme of his leadership, Corbyn was consistently willing to commit to significant political risks to stake out left-wing positions on opposing aggressive foreign policy, be it Salisbury or otherwise (and given that the left mainly interprets I/P through a white settler lens...). This was a movement formed of the post-Iraq zeitgeist so not too shocking there.

The point however is that between a "older socially conservative voters" faction (Long-Bailey/Rayner?) and a "urban cosmopolitan liberals" faction (Thornberry or Starmer?), neither side has any particular interest in fuelling the issue any more than it does on other traditionally left-wing hobbyhorses. Although the left will certainly remain in control of the party, I would expect winners on either side to treat it akin to nuclear disarmament today: recite the settled party position and well-established Foreign Office positions that the UK is already theoretically committed to

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Rarity posted:

Speaking of Christmas, can't wait for morning of the 25th when I get to take the traditional chocolate orange out of my stocking and gobble it all up yum yum :D

Skipped 5 pages just to ask why you do this to me.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ronya posted:

The point however is that between a "older socially conservative voters" faction (Long-Bailey/Rayner?) and a "urban cosmopolitan liberals" faction (Thornberry or Starmer?), neither side has any particular interest in fuelling the issue any more than it does on other traditionally left-wing hobbyhorses.

Would you say the former camp are completely unpalatable to the latter?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Miftan posted:

Cause you loving deserve it you monster :colbert:

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

gh0stpinballa posted:

I remember that line, but not who said it.

I'm not on this episode, but I know it wasn't me.

Naptime also isn't on this episode, he just edited it.

Coohoolin is on this episode, but I don't think it was him wot said it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

gh0stpinballa posted:

Pretty sure that was our resident geordie who said that?

Rarity posted:

Cause you loving deserve it you monster :colbert:

I thought we had moved past this, Rarity! Just accept that while you're often right, this isn't one of those times.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Miftan posted:

I saw this and thought of you miftan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRhiPLTv80w&t=546s

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

What are you allowed to carry on your persons in Britain to defend oneself? Start carrying it and use it on the scum of Britain.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'd say that it's important to stay engaged with Labour for now because the centrists don't have the power to take back control themselves - they can only do that if we give up and allow them to.

Just imagine how much worse the next few years will feel if every lovely policy the Tories enact is countered by a cringeing, 'moderate' Labour leader awkwardly attempting to triangulate a position between exterminating the foreigners and... not doing that.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Tesseraction posted:

Would you say the former camp are completely unpalatable to the latter?

palatable enough to occupy junior shadow cabinet positions, not so palatable that there won't be many unscripted remarks as brexit occupies the headlines

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nonsense posted:

What are you allowed to carry on your persons in Britain to defend oneself? Start carrying it and use it on the scum of Britain.

Nothing, as far as I'm aware, carrying any sort of weapon or thing that the police believe you intend to employ as a weapon is grounds for arrest.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Chocolate Oranges are just OK.

The problem with them is that if you receive them on christmas you are likely not lacking for better sweets so you eat those first. Then, you have had enough sweets for a while so you put the chocolate orange aside and before you know it its christmas and bam, more chocolate orange.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Nothing, as far as I'm aware, carrying any sort of weapon or thing that the police believe you intend to employ as a weapon is grounds for arrest.

I was kinda hoping you could at least carry mace or a taser.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nonsense posted:

Both are considered offensive weapons.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

You can carry a knife with a blade under 3" as long as it can't lock in the open or closed position because not being able to accidentally stab yourself in the leg while walking is dangerous.

Nonsense posted:

Tasers have the unique property of being well tested easily traceable non-lethal tools when the police want them and potentially lethal killer weapons when anyone else wants one.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Both are considered offensive weapons.

I registered my fists as offensive weapons and now the cops won't stop arresting me! The cycle of crime is real, man...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

You can carry a knife with a blade under 3" as long as it can't lock in the open or closed position because not being able to accidentally stab yourself in the leg while walking is dangerous.

wait what they can't even lock closed

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Oh, yes, but I would imagine if you actually tried to use it as a weapon, you'd get done for it.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Tasers have the unique property of being well tested easily traceable non-lethal tools when the police want them and potentially lethal killer weapons when anyone else wants one.

Nonlethal tools are what the police aspire to be.

They fall somewhat short of even this low bar.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A heavy maglite. You never know when you might find yourself in the dark.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Katt posted:

The only way to unite leftist forces and get something done is when one leftist leader flips the table and throws the other leftist leaders into prison.

Plus Trotsky spent the later parts of his life in service to western Imperialism in exchange for a comfortable life and a never ending line of western journalists to tell his side of the story at face value. That well is poisoned.

It may not have been your intention but this REALLLY reads a lot like Stalin apology.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

baka kaba posted:

You're also not allowed to secure the head of your flail when travelling on horseback. Very old law, that one.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I will secure my Jamie Oliver "BOSH" flail and nobody can stop me

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

It all started with a law to stop people carrying switchblades and other fast opening gadget knives in public that was so comprehensiveterribly written that yeah, depending on who's enforcing it, it could cover knives where you have to push a button or move a catch to manually open the blade.

OwlFancier posted:

Oh, yes, but I would imagine if you actually tried to use it as a weapon, you'd get done for it.
That would go back to the reasonable person test. Would a reasonable person, in the same position, believing the same thing as the defendant, pull out a pocket knife and stab someone.

Usually that's 'no' unless you're in genuine fear for your life. If you can demonstrate that you were then reasonable self defence covers quite a lot, but a lot of the time people get done because they could have left at any time and didn't (or because they're Black or Asian and our justice system is racist).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Braggart posted:

The fudge has been judged.

Fudged Red: it is the dessert.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/sean_antrim/status/1208454202495766529

i have a loving headache now

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Watched about 5 seconds but I feel like she knows what she's talking about.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Carry around those metal tipped ink pens, with the very pointy tips.
Don't need a knife with these bastards, and if you have to end up putting one into someones throat, no way can they class that as an offensive weapon.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Quite straightforward when you don't regard Palestinians as human.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

It all started with a law to stop people carrying switchblades and other fast opening gadget knives in public that was so comprehensiveterribly written that yeah, depending on who's enforcing it, it could cover knives where you have to push a button or move a catch to manually open the blade.

surely having a blade flapping around makes it faster to open, but yeah the idea is to stop people carrying them at all huh. Works well!!!

Miftan posted:

Watched about 5 seconds but I feel like she knows what she's talking about.

that was the only bit I meant! how can the humble chocolate orange provoke so much hostility and revulsion

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

spelled "whites" wrong there

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Nonsense posted:

dunno if you read this thread much but wanking over the idea of vigilante justice is kinda willie_dee's thing

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

baka kaba posted:

surely having a blade flapping around makes it faster to open, but yeah the idea is to stop people carrying them at all huh. Works well!!!

that was the only bit I meant! how can the humble chocolate orange provoke so much hostility and revulsion

Honestly it's probably because people feel the need to defend it so much.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Jedit posted:

Fudged Red: it is the dessert.

Fudge Hedd.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

dunno if you read this thread much but wanking over the idea of vigilante justice is kinda willie_dee's thing

I did not know you couldn't carry any weapon of intent. I have been corrected on this. Our American courts are boned, dunno if you can still change yours and stuff, get good judges, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ask him about the Human Rights Act.

baka kaba posted:

By making it so overbroad that it covers Leathermans (Leathermen?) and most other multitools and then enforcing it selectively, yup.

See New York's also cool and non-racist law on 'gravity knives' that went at it from the other direction, if you can open it with a flick of your wrist, it's a gravity knife and illegal. So 70 year old Black women are being arrested because the cop can open it with a flick of his wrist by waggling his arm wildly even when the owner would not be able to.