Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

moot the hopple posted:

Arx Fatalis was originally going to be UU2 and is very fun if you haven't played it.

UU3, not UU2. UU2 had been out for a couple years when the very first pitch for Arx was created. It's also worth keeping in mind that "was gonna be UU3" should actually be read as "was shot down as a spontaneous UU3 pitch to EA from a third party", which is not quite the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
There's an open-source port of Arx Fatalis or something if I remember correctly that helps it manage modern systems, but regardless I would recommend it to anyone. It was a surprising gem of an rpg back in the day, and I like it's attempt at making magic unique. Just don't bother with bows at all.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Plek posted:

There's an open-source port of Arx Fatalis or something if I remember correctly that helps it manage modern systems, but regardless I would recommend it to anyone. It was a surprising gem of an rpg back in the day, and I like it's attempt at making magic unique. Just don't bother with bows at all.

Arx Liberatis and yea, it’s loving awesome!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

chaosapiant posted:

Arx Liberatis and yea, it’s loving awesome!
Appreciated. I never could make the GOG port run worth poo poo.

VVV :thumbsup:

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 22, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cardiovorax posted:

Appreciated. I never could make the GOG port run worth poo poo.

Runs great and even supports ultrawide resolutions!

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The out of nowhere plot reveal/genre twist in Arx Fatalis redeemed everything I had previously considered janky and unoriginal in it.
Only thing I save-scummed in Arx Fatalis to get a good outcome was the lost child/Shaney rescue.

Also made the call to play all of the Arkane games in release order.
Arx Fatalis -> Dark Messiah -> Dishonored 1. It was very cool seeing things carried over from game to game.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 22, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

Paper Sorcerer was made before Unity had any kind of decent UI system (it's all IMGUI) and I don't think the dev was very experienced. So I can understand how the UI is pretty rough. It is somewhat old for an indie game.

Hell, it was before UE4 released and I don't recall UE3 had much in the way of stock UI systems either. This is was back when you saw Scaleform UIs everywhere in AAA games. I don't think there was much to make life easier for an indie dev with UI.

hooting and hollering at the idea that '2013' is 'old for an indie game"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

quantumfoam posted:

The out of nowhere plot reveal/genre twist in Arx Fatalis redeemed everything I had previously considered janky and unoriginal in it.
Only thing I save-scummed in Arx Fatalis to get a good outcome was the lost child/Shaney rescue.

Also made the call to play all of the Arkane games in release order.
Arx Fatalis -> Dark Messiah -> Dishonored 1. It was very cool seeing things carried over from game to game.

I bought Arx Fatalis when it was new, sadly I don't have the box anymore.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

If you want old school style with no compromises Aeon of Sands is on sale for $5. It an indie game made painstakingly true to 90s real time grid games like Eye of the Beholder/LoL/DM/etc style, but I didn't find it very fun. It's old school to a fault to me, but I bet some in here would enjoy it. I know they spent years making it and you can feel the love they put in the game so I feel bad for them that it made no splash at all.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I've been looking at a few RPGs on GOG, since they're having their Winter Sale, but I'm having trouble deciding on anything.

Anvil of Dawn is kind of cool looking, and it seems reminiscent of something like Stonekeep or Lands of Lore. I looked at a bit of the gameplay footage and it seemed alright, thought the spellcasting looked really slow.

The Ishar Compilation seems like a good deal for three games, and one of the reviews say that it's not too hard. It also looks like it's compatible with Grid Cartographer, and I've thought about picking that up. At the same time, it also looks really dry, and sounds like it doesn't have much of a story.

Lords of Xulima is one I've had on my wishlist for a long time, but the only thing I recall about it is that I think a goon worked on it in some capacity. For the most part, I never found it that interesting.

There's all the various Dungeons & Dragons collections, but the Gold Box games seems too archaic to my tastes, and the Eye of the Beholder games I've heard are super difficult (moreso with the second and third entries). Ravenloft and Dark Sun don't look that bad, but they seem a little slow.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Max Wilco posted:

Lords of Xulima is one I've had on my wishlist for a long time, but the only thing I recall about it is that I think a goon worked on it in some capacity. For the most part, I never found it that interesting.
It was me and I handled most of the voicework on it. They kept telling me to speak slower so it's kinda draining but I did sneak in a Macho Man Randy Savage character so eh it's a wash.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

It was me and I handled most of the voicework on it. They kept telling me to speak slower so it's kinda draining but I did sneak in a Macho Man Randy Savage character so eh it's a wash.

Yeah, I remember being linked to clip of that, and it was pretty entertaining, thought the description made it sound like it's really rare if it plays.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I've been looking at a few RPGs on GOG, since they're having their Winter Sale, but I'm having trouble deciding on anything.

Anvil of Dawn is kind of cool looking, and it seems reminiscent of something like Stonekeep or Lands of Lore. I looked at a bit of the gameplay footage and it seemed alright, thought the spellcasting looked really slow.

The Ishar Compilation seems like a good deal for three games, and one of the reviews say that it's not too hard. It also looks like it's compatible with Grid Cartographer, and I've thought about picking that up. At the same time, it also looks really dry, and sounds like it doesn't have much of a story.

There's all the various Dungeons & Dragons collections, but the Gold Box games seems too archaic to my tastes, and the Eye of the Beholder games I've heard are super difficult (moreso with the second and third entries). Ravenloft and Dark Sun don't look that bad, but they seem a little slow.

Haven't played Ishar, Ravenloft or Dark son so can't comment on those, but:

Anvil of Dawn is good, but it has issues with resource management. There are not nearly enough restoration items to keep up with the rate at which you'll lose HP and especially MP. With nothing like inns or healers you'll spend a lot of time standing in one place and waiting for your MP to regenerate. Spellcasting is really slow but it also can be pretty powerful--but because of the aforementioned MP issue it's very hard to go full mage.

Lords of Xulima is kind of mediocre. There's nothing I can really find fault with it, but there's nothing amazing about it either. I'd recommend playing it on one of the easier settings, combat on the harder settings feels like too much of a slog. I got a real kick out of the ending though, it felt really appropriate with the MC being kind of a moron throughout the whole game.

The Gold Box games are probably the best of the games you've listed that I've played, but IMO they get progressively worse the more advanced your characters get. (This is more an AD&D saving throw mechanics issue than anything else) I don't think the Eye of the Beholder games are particularly hard--they're definitely more puzzle-based than the Gold Box games so if you're not into that sort of gameplay steer clear. Mapping is also a necessity with EoB, barring something like Grid Cartographer automapping. Also I think the real-time combat in EoB doesn't work very well, though they're still good games.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Strahd's Possession is stylish as hell and does a good job at creating tension and atmosphere for an early 90s game but the controls are a little weird. I wouldn't say it's slow exactly, combat is very quick and deadly and you can become screwed very fast if you're not careful. But it's also cumbersome to actually play. Also the later parts of the game are filled with level draining enemies which is a real loving pain in the rear end!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

I think Anvil of Dawn is one of the best looking first person pixel art games and easily the best looking of the real time grid crawlers. The gameplay is solid, but nothing exceptional. I think its better than Stonekeep, but if that style of game doesn't appeal to you it doesn't break any boundaries.

Dark Sun 1 (2 is dreadful) is a great game and more approachable than most classic CRPGs due to its solid UI. It has a cool setting, decent story, better rpg bits than most old D&D titles, and a good combat system.

I enjoyed Ravenloft when it came out but I've never been able to return to it so it didn't hold up for me.

I've always thought Xulima is amusing for being almost the exact opposite of what I want in a game: iso turn based battles and first person exploration. I've never actually tried it though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The gold box games are 3rd person combat and first person exploration too, if that tilts you any particular direction.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Huh. Pool of Radiance gave me the reward for clearing the slums, even though I hadn't dealt with that killer troll/ogre combo in the Rope Maker's Guild. Um, well, okay? I guess it's off to Sokal Keep.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

FuzzySlippers posted:

I've always thought Xulima is amusing for being almost the exact opposite of what I want in a game: iso turn based battles and first person exploration. I've never actually tried it though.
It's an interesting game and even though I've played a fair bit of it, I am still not entirely sure what to actually think of it. It's not really like any classic RPG at all. At times, the entire thing felt more like a point'n'click adventure with some basic RPG style fights mixed into it.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Skwirl posted:

The gold box games are 3rd person combat and first person exploration too, if that tilts you any particular direction.

Yeah that's the joke. That combo has been completely abandoned since the 90s and Xulima comes close to resurrecting it but just does it backwards.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The gold box games, in my opinion, have aged way better than most CRPGs. While the tactics on offer are extremely limited (especially when it comes to magic), the basic design of the experiences and combats is solid and entirely comprehensible. With a little meta knowledge about how 2nd Edition works, you're fine.

Obviously the stories are whatever but some of them did have decent writing in the paragraphs

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

How do I get started with wizardry 6?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lawman 0 posted:

It's not very hard or obtuse, just make a party that seems fun and has a decent mix of melee and magic schools. Ranged is kind of mediocre IIRC aside from edge cases like ninja stars

If you go everywhere and talk to everyone you'll solve the puzzles easily. There's no really bullshit "find this invisible item" type BS

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

You need to suck me off

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

6 faerie ninjas, DO IT!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sgbyou posted:

6 faerie ninjas, DO IT!

That's played out and honestly kind of easy. Something like 6 Dwarf Bards would probably be way harder

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You need to suck me off
I have a sudden powerful urge to replay Wizardry 6

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Picked up the Forgotten Realms SSI collection on GOG.

Fired up FR Unlimited adventures.

Thought I'd have a crack at Against the Slavers which I have no experience with and found a module for it online.

Entire party immediately slaughtered by Ghouls and Ghasts paralysation atttacks in first combat encounter.

100% OSR experience, would play again.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 25, 2019

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Heads up for anyone who's interested: the Pro Edition of Grid Cartographer is 40% off on Steam right now ($29.99 USD).

I'm thinking about picking it up, since I've been enamored with it ever since seeing it used in Luisfe's Wizardry 6 LP. I've always been hesitant about trying to play tile/grid based RPGs in fear of getting lost and confused, but I feel like the software would make it a lot more palatable.

Only real hang up I have about picking it up is that a lot of the games I thought about using it with (Stonekeep, Anvil of Dawn, Dungeon Hack, Legend of Grimrock) already have map systems built into them. Still, there are games like Wizardry 7 or the Shin Megami Tensei games where I think it would really come in handy (Wizardy 7 especially, since I've read that game is a huge hassle to map on physical paper.)

I dunno if the creator still posts in this thread, but are there any chances of other games getting the auto-map feature in the future?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 28, 2019

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Max Wilco posted:

Only real hang up I have about picking it up is that a lot of the games I thought about using it with (Stonekeep, Anvil of Dawn, Dungeon Hack, Legend of Grimrock) already have map systems built into them. Still, there are games like Wizardry 7 or the Shin Megami Tensei games where I think it would really come in handy (Wizardy 7 especially, since I've read that game is a huge hassle to map on physical paper.)
I dunno if the creator still posts in this thread, but are there any chances of other games getting the auto-map feature in the future?

I mainly use GC for gamedev, but I've messed around with the automapping stuff. There are always games being added, and a toolset for users to add more support, plus user-uploaded maps for a lot of games. Someone's recently been working on an SMT profile.

It comes with auto-tracking profiles for Wizardries 1 - 7, and something like 40 more titles -- I was recently using it for Might and Magic III. It also supports some Gold Box games, though I'm still using GBC for those because of the levelling and auto-fix stuff.

He's been working on adding more emulatable systems lately -- Amiga, VIC-20, that kind of thing.

There's a C64 port of Eye of the Beholder coming out soon, which I am kind of looking forward to trying.

atholbrose fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 1, 2020

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

atholbrose posted:

There's a C64 port of Eye of the Beholder coming out soon, which I am kind of looking forward to trying.

That's really interesting; keep us informed on that.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

atholbrose posted:

I only know the Eye of the Beholder SNES port, so I assume this C64 port will need like a dozen discs to work. How wrong am I? I'm faintly aware that EotB had at least three parts, which one is getting ported?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

atholbrose posted:

I mainly use GC for gamedev, but I've messed around with the automapping stuff. There are always games being added, and a toolset for users to add more support, plus user-uploaded maps for a lot of games. Someone's recently been working on an SMT profile.

What kinda gamedev do you use it with?

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
Kind of a random question but are there any games that are basically a modern version of Darklands but with modern QoL additions? Low fantasy RPG with tactical combat and lots of weird role playing stuff (secret cultists, alchemy, etc). The closest I can think of is Battle Brothers, but I've played the hell out of that and am curious about any others.

Fake edit: now that I think about it BB is probably about as close to a modern Darklands as is possible and I probably just need to start another run.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Libluini posted:

I only know the Eye of the Beholder SNES port, so I assume this C64 port will need like a dozen discs to work. How wrong am I? I'm faintly aware that EotB had at least three parts, which one is getting ported?

I have no idea; I've only been following it in screenshots and videos over the past couple of years but haven't looked much at the technical specifics.

Right now, he is polishing up the intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRsUFxT7eh8

Here's some LP-type footage of the first bits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1Sa5JvujGU

It really is a pretty nifty project.

FuzzySlippers posted:

What kinda gamedev do you use it with?

I've written a script in GC4's Squirrel scripting language that exports maps I create to JSON, and the actual game is written in Godot; it loads the JSON and a tileset of textures and builds a level mesh out of it.

caedwalla posted:

Kind of a random question but are there any games that are basically a modern version of Darklands but with modern QoL additions? Low fantasy RPG with tactical combat and lots of weird role playing stuff (secret cultists, alchemy, etc). The closest I can think of is Battle Brothers, but I've played the hell out of that and am curious about any others.

Oddly enough, this sounds like the game I am working on; text-and-menu-based towns and NPC encounters, first-person grid-style dungeons, grid-based tactical combat -- elevator-pitch-wise that's Gold Box Darklands. Trying to get (a reasonable subset of) the engine down first, but since I am finally happy with the basic design for the thing I should be able to get to, like, an actual rough playable level in a couple of months.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

atholbrose posted:

Oddly enough, this sounds like the game I am working on; text-and-menu-based towns and NPC encounters, first-person grid-style dungeons, grid-based tactical combat -- elevator-pitch-wise that's Gold Box Darklands. Trying to get (a reasonable subset of) the engine down first, but since I am finally happy with the basic design for the thing I should be able to get to, like, an actual rough playable level in a couple of months.
Keep up updated on that, because I'd be interested. Darklands is my favourite game that I just can't play because how outdated it is even compared to the games I grew up with.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

caedwalla posted:

Fake edit: now that I think about it BB is probably about as close to a modern Darklands as is possible and I probably just need to start another run.
Kenshi is close in some regards. Nothing really scratches that Darklands itch, but honestly I found it too dated to really get into even when I gave it a good go 10+ years ago

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

If you want old school style with no compromises Aeon of Sands is on sale for $5. It an indie game made painstakingly true to 90s real time grid games like Eye of the Beholder/LoL/DM/etc style, but I didn't find it very fun. It's old school to a fault to me, but I bet some in here would enjoy it. I know they spent years making it and you can feel the love they put in the game so I feel bad for them that it made no splash at all.

I think I'll have to pass as a result too. I like my indie retro games to at least do something to make a game tolerable to play.

My favorite of this is La-Mulana which is a love letter to the MSX console and especially Maze of Gallious. Old-school as hell puzzle and game design, but with modern-day refinements that makes it very enjoyable.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I missed the GOG free giveaway of Tower of Time :argh:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I missed the GOG free giveaway of Tower of Time :argh:

What is that? I added it to my account, but I've never heard of it so I just ignored it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's sort of like Heroes of Might and Magic or King's Bounty in the "overworld exploration, map-based combat" sense, but with individual units instead of armies and no city building. It seemed okay? I couldn't really get far into it, the whole thing just didn't click with me, but it has really good reviews on Steam.