Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can’t tell if this should be ranked above or below ROTJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurt Loadeater
May 15, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hmm you all know this movie franchise is for children, right?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
And the sub class of children: man babies

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Kurt Loadeater posted:

that's kinda what makes it disturbing

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Kurt Loadeater posted:

oh poo poo

guys

why did nobody call this between 1999 and 2019? :smith:

Kurt Loadeater
May 15, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Haha!! Let's see here forums user saint dogo contributed 3 pages out of 174 complaining that some childrens movie doesn't have any real 'message'. Fuckin idiot.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Those are some rookie numbers. gotta pump those numbers up.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

olives black posted:

Right, and it's the limpest dickest take possible in a Disney-owned franchise called Star Wars. I'm still waiting for some bold imaginative take on how these movies can be anything but boring after the prequels went as far as you can go down that road. All that was left to do by the time EP 8 was assembled was what RJ did - take a huge glowing poo poo on the screen that said "this is the problem, you idiots."

Are you saying the film series called Star Wars, about intergalactic space wizards and evil empires and heroes and quests, would be better if it had a deep and thorough tangent into an anti-war message by using allegorical messages about the military industrial complex, and this is what rian would have done if only evil disney hadn't foiled his plans

Rather than it being one of many very poorly handled and obvious messages clumsily shoved in to TLJ at the director's behest contributing to the tone being all over the loving place and none of it actually sticking

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 21, 2019

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Dune 2020 will be the real Star Wars. It's going to bomb horribly isn't it :ohdear:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

its all nice on rice posted:

Friend on Facebook loved it (they fell asleep a couple times, but that's not the movie's fault!)
This person is also writing their own sci-fi novel.

A Star Wars mega fanboy friend who I trust his opinions and has good taste posted this on Facebook:

"I'll have a spoiler discussion post for Rise of Skywalker sometime next week when more people have had a chance to see it, but...

It was so bad, you guys. It was so loving bad. It felt like an all out attack on Star Wars as a cohesive universe and I just feel sad and depressed and angry about it.

God loving dammit."

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

halokiller posted:

Dune 2020 will be the real Star Wars. It's going to bomb horribly isn't it :ohdear:

Hopefully not. I'm actually really looking forwards to it, Villeneuve really seems like the right person for the job. It's also an example of when a remake actually is warranted, in that the previous attempts at adapting Dune kind of sucked.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Butterfly Valley posted:

Are you saying the film series called Star Wars, about intergalactic space wizards and evil empires and heroes and quests, would be better if it had a deep and thorough tangent into an anti-war message by using allegorical messages about the military industrial complex

Why stop there when there are so many other social issues facing our society.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Imagine this, literally all of your favorite childhood entertainment was very unwoke. GiJoe? Military industrial complex and mercenary glorification. Transformers? Teenage mutant turtles? Vigilante violence,murder, gangs.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Starship troopers tho was woke AF.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Butterfly Valley posted:

Are you saying the film series called Star Wars, about intergalactic space wizards and evil empires and heroes and quests, would be better if it had a deep and thorough tangent into an anti-war message by using allegorical messages about the military industrial complex, and this is what rian would have done if only evil disney hadn't foiled his plans

Star Anti-Wars

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Rather than it being one of many very poorly handled and obvious messages clumsily shoved in to TLJ at the director's behest contributing to the tone being all over the loving place and none of it actually sticking

Not necessarily that this is what Rian would have done, but that what we got is all that he could have done.

Wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to go in that direction, though. Have you seen Looper?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

punk rebel ecks posted:

Pretty much all the Star Wars films but two are bad.

There's 4 very good Star Wars movies, 2 half decent ones, then 5 sad shitheaps. Still better quality than most long-running film franchises imo and the OT are some of the greatest movies in cinematic history.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 22, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
#releasethelucascut

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I find it amusing how Disney is running the Star Wars brand to the ground. When they brought it the films were major event style releases. Today they are merely "just another blockbuster film".

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I find it amusing how Disney is running the Star Wars brand to the ground. When they brought it the films were major event style releases. Today they are merely "just another blockbuster film".

It's not Disney. The reality is that Film, or going to the movies, is an outdated and worthless activity, that makes stories worse.
Still brings in a lot of money because film goers are morons.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

punk rebel ecks posted:

Twice the pride, double the fall.

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!
*a sweat drop forms on James Cameron's brow as he edits an Avatar 2 scene*

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Shaocaholica posted:

Starship troopers tho was woke AF.

The rise of Skywalker made me legit think I was watching starship troopers for a minute when it did the whole rally the people to war shot.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I disagree that TLJ is the Dragon Age 2 of Star Wars. It may be the Dark Souls 2 of Star Wars.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
In that after 3 comes out people still just want to argue about 2

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Could I AGREE any harder ?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

TLJ is ET the videogame of star wars films

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

TLJ is ET the videogame of star wars films

Episode 1 Podracer and Masters of Teräs Käsi were the best Star Wars games.

literally a hog posted:

*a sweat drop forms on James Cameron's brow as he edits an Avatar 2 scene*

If James Cameron gave a poo poo about his wanna be dance with wolves story he would have made avatar some sort Netflix 13 hour special. But the only poo poo he gives is about making the graphics look better like the mother fuckers who chased that bleeding edge high of Duke Nukem Forever or trying to max out the visual of Crysis.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

It's not Disney. The reality is that Film, or going to the movies, is an outdated and worthless activity, that makes stories worse.
Still brings in a lot of money because film goers are morons.

While true to an extent, blockbusters still have an impact. While "A Force Awakens" was the biggest film ever box office rise, the following films fell off a cliff.

The Walrus posted:

I disagree that TLJ is the Dragon Age 2 of Star Wars. It may be the Dark Souls 2 of Star Wars.

A mediocre film with fantastic additional self-contained segments added after the film's release?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 21, 2019

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

While true to an extent, blockbusters still have an impact. While "A Force Awakens" was the biggest film ever box office rise, the following films fell off a cliff.

What is "impact" to you?
Movie ticket sales?
Is it loving toy sales?
Other mech being made?
People talking about it on the internet?

So what if the second films fell off a cliff?
Does: Less money made = worse movie?

What the gently caress is biggest film ever box office rise? Huhn?
Is this high grossing films? Cuz Gone with the wind wins and is the best movie ever.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

Is it highest gross opening films. That's the Avengers End Game move.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_openings_for_films

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

What is "impact" to you?
Movie ticket sales?
Is it loving toy sales?
Other mech being made?
People talking about it on the internet?

So what if the second films fell off a cliff?
Does: Less money made = worse movie?

What the gently caress is biggest film ever box office rise? Huhn?
Is this high grossing films? Cuz Gone with the wind wins and is the best movie ever.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

Is it highest gross opening films. That's the Avengers End Game move.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_openings_for_films

:chanpop:

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Imagine if people talked about cartoon robots who turn into planes with the same level of contempt as a big meanie space wizard.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

If you do not agree with this, well then you are lost.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Saw it for free on Friday at a work outing. About to go see it again with the wife in IMAX 3D. I haven't told her how bad it is yet but but she probably won't care either way. I'm smoking a joint before we leave because that's the only way I can sit through this again without yelling at the screen.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Chomp8645 posted:

If you do not agree with this, well then you are lost.

I still want a TIE fighter remake and a good motion controlled lightsaber game, maybe in VR...
But yeah, with Star Wars around there's not much chance of any good, new space operas and that sucks. Kill it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Oh and the the flying troopers have been part of the Star Wars Battlefront game for a while now. Now give us a Empire vs Mandalorians movie with them all using rocket packs in combat and that will put asses in seats.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 21, 2019

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Valerian is the best recent Star War

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

There's 4 very good Star Wars movies, 2 half decent ones, then 5 sad shitheaps. Still better quality than most long-running film franchises imo and the OT are some of the greatest movie movies in cinematic history.

There's 2 decent Star Wars films and the rest are garbage.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Spaceballs and Holiday special are the two good ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/80svader/status/1207917351146082306