Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CJ posted:

By the way i think it's really funny that critics are complaining about the gratuitous female nudity in the show, given that people were flipping out that the head writer was a feminist and going to ruin the show by forcing her SJW views on the show.

Conjunction of the Smears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

CJ posted:

In the books Geralt pulls the law of surprise trick in the hopes she has a son that he can claim and turn into a new Witcher. He also sort of knows her already because he meets her in Brokilon some time before Cintra falls, and i think the dryads say the destiny thing is a big deal because it is the reason their magic water that turns you into a dryad and wipes your memories doesn't work on her. In the show i assume it's because the dragon tells him to.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

He got shamed by Yen. And the dreams. And the golden dragon (I am not even going to attempt to spell his name) basically told him to.

Oh, I thought episode 7 happened much later on. I'm still kinda fuzzy on the timeline, really. Episode 4 is obviously at least 15-16 years before the sacking of Cintra, since Pavetta's daughter is going to grow up to be Ciri. So then I guess there's a big 16 year gap between episode 5 when Geralt and Yennefer meet, and then episodes 6-7-8 take place consecutively and sync up with the start of Ciri's story, so Geralt goes pretty much right to Cintra after meeting the dragon?

Oh hey, also, why did Geralt ask for the Law of Surprise from the hedgehog knight? He seems to hate the idea of destiny, and that seems like a huge risk that you might end up with a surprise baby. Honestly, I'm not sure why that law even exists except to set people up with surprise babies. Couldn't he have just asked for a new sword or a sack of gold or something?

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 21, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

w0o0o0o posted:

As someone who hasn't played the games or read the books it really wasn't too bad! The only things I thought could have used some more time were better establishing all these different kingdoms/locations and the continent's geography. Especially the latter, made the overarching war a little confusing to follow at times. And also maybe given more exposition about the Elves/Dwarves and their histories but that's not as important.

A good show, I'm glad we're at least getting a season 2.

This is a map of the world around the time of Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings, but it's mostly accurate to the show as well.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is a map of the world around the time of Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings, but it's mostly accurate to the show as well.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i like it enough so far. just finished episode 3 and i like most of the casting so far outside foltest who just didnt gel at all with me. my big issue is i kinda dislike how the abridged some of the short stories. like some of them make sense but the whole i felt like the striga story was kinda pushed around too much liking making the sister marrage a mystery instead of a open joke about hosed up royals and poo poo. as was the elf rebel story and its whole lesson was gone. i feel like the show misses alot of the Humor of the books and the games which makes me sad. its still solid though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

w0o0o0o posted:

As someone who hasn't played the games or read the books it really wasn't too bad! The only things I thought could have used some more time were better establishing all these different kingdoms/locations and the continent's geography. Especially the latter, made the overarching war a little confusing to follow at times. And also maybe given more exposition about the Elves/Dwarves and their histories but that's not as important.

A good show, I'm glad we're at least getting a season 2.

Geography isn't that important to the Witcher because none of the main characters are patriots. Nilfgaard is a country of try-hard dweebs who wear black and decided to overthrow their king. It was a laughing stock 14 years ago and is a serious threat in the modern day. That's about all you have to know.

For all that Foltest sucks he's probably the wisest and most just Northern king as well. The Witcher does not have a rosy outlook on national politics.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Phenotype posted:

Oh hey, also, why did Geralt ask for the Law of Surprise from the hedgehog knight? He seems to hate the idea of destiny, and that seems like a huge risk that you might end up with a surprise baby. Honestly, I'm not sure why that law even exists except to set people up with surprise babies. Couldn't he have just asked for a new sword or a sack of gold or something?

Its precisely because he doesn't really believe in destiny that he asks for it. Law of Surprise is going to be something innocuous most of the time, like a puppy or maybe some groceries that your wife bought or something. Destiny exists in the universe whether or not Geralt believes in it or not though. Also, Geralt can be somewhat of a smirky rear end sometimes, and thats probably another reason why he asks for it.

The books have alternate reasons though, I think.

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 21, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arglebargle III posted:

Geography isn't that important to the Witcher because none of the main characters are patriots. Nilfgaard is a country of try-hard dweebs who wear black and decided to overthrow their king. It was a laughing stock 14 years ago and is a serious threat in the modern day. That's about all you have to know.

For all that Foltest sucks he's probably the wisest and most just Northern king as well. The Witcher does not have a rosy outlook on national politics.

this. also everyone is poo poo. nilfgaard are bad and awful but they have actual laws and infrastructure and such. the north is basicaly just a bunch of kingdoms that fight every 4 years and trade places being on top, they are also all racist and backwards as gently caress.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 21, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's also Queen Meve but she is a hardass who fast tracks to being Calanthe 2.0.

Demavend and Henselt are jackasses, Esterad Thyssen is a smart fucker but unable to see dangers in his backyard, and Vizimir is a puppet while Radovid is just a (extremely dangerous) kid.

At least the jarls of Skellige don't pretend to be more than they are.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 21, 2019

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best news is that they fired the costume designer and will be upgrading the armor in season 2

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I have never read the books, but i wrapped up my first playthrough of the witcher 3 about a week ago (well, I closed out every treasure hunt, side and main quest I had found, but there are still a decent chunk of question marks across my map). I put in about 150 hours since August as I'm a "one game at a time" person. The game world felt super lived in and I'm excited for the show.

I'm four episodes in, and I'm enjoying learning more about ciri and yennifer's back stories and learning how geralt got his blaviken moniker. Is the blaviken situation/result how it shook out in the books?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eat This Glob posted:

I have never read the books, but i wrapped up my first playthrough of the witcher 3 about a week ago (well, I closed out every treasure hunt, side and main quest I had found, but there are still a decent chunk of question marks across my map). I put in about 150 hours since August as I'm a "one game at a time" person. The game world felt super lived in and I'm excited for the show.

I'm four episodes in, and I'm enjoying learning more about ciri and yennifer's back stories and learning how geralt got his blaviken moniker. Is the blaviken situation/result how it shook out in the books?

It's changed a bit: The lady is supposed to be killing innocents in the market until the big ol' dude in the tower forces her to stop, but Geralt stops her by making the choice and killing her. She had already killed a couple people by the time he stopped her, and he got blamed for the ENTIRE thing. It was a major city and like 20 people died and that's why he's called the Butcher

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They need to fire whoever keeps splitting up coherent short stories like The Lesser Evil or The Witcher or A Question of Price into A B and C plots that have nothing to do with each other.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Watched the first 5 episodes last night with the wife.

She knew nothing about it, to the point she did not understand the difference between stregebor and geralt in the first episode as "wait aren't they both wizards?!"

Overall though, she really liked it. We will probably finish the rest tonight.

I think the whole hedgehog knight episode was her favority, as the queen got more and more fed up with all this magical fairy tale bullshit interfering with her nice political wedding.

On a side not I have gotten in the habit of shouting 'put on a helmet!' at any character in a battle not wearing one. It was rewarded in the first episode as people without helmets kept getting arrows to the face.

Aside from geralt of course, that hair needs to be free for tactical combat spins.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Asema posted:

It's changed a bit: The lady is supposed to be killing innocents in the market until the big ol' dude in the tower forces her to stop, but Geralt stops her by making the choice and killing her. She had already killed a couple people by the time he stopped her, and he got blamed for the ENTIRE thing. It was a major city and like 20 people died and that's why he's called the Butcher

Thank you! The book version actually makes more sense, though what happened in the show with no living witnesses and a local happy to pin what happened on an unwitting mark also works just fine

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

To be fair, Geralt is at least 1% a wizard.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Never read the books or played the games, I'm on episode four and the timeline is very confusing and unclear. I don't know what they could do about that other than just have text saying "x years ago" but that wouldn't really fit with the show.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah I am with you and I am a big fan of the short stories and games. In Episode 1, Geralt and Ciri's scenes happen around present day, while Yen's scenes are about 30 years ago. Then in Episode 4 Geralt's scenes are 14 years ago and Yen's have come up to near present day. It's... not great.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah I am with you and I am a big fan of the short stories and games. In Episode 1, Geralt and Ciri's scenes happen around present day, while Yen's scenes are about 30 years ago. Then in Episode 4 Geralt's scenes are 14 years ago and Yen's have come up to near present day. It's... not great.

Geralt story happens decades before Ciri's in the first chapter. Ciri mentions that Calanthe had her first victory when she was around her age and Renfri mentions that fight as something that just happened.

But yeah, they should have made the timeline more clear.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

Asema posted:

The best news is that they fired the costume designer and will be upgrading the armor in season 2

Make-up, costume and set design should all get poo poo-canned. Refugees in perfectly clean cloth tents. Geralt and Yen killing multiple opponents with edged weapons and then standing around for 20 minutes of dialogue in perfectly clean armor and clothes, not a drop of sweat or blood on them. Mages wearing rayon?? So goddamn lazy and inconsistent. In many scenes I saw what were clearly hand-woven items, so you could tell some people cared, but not enough.

Cavill's perfect for the role of an emotionally neutered mutant and I hope they get the guy some facial scarring, grime and snake contacts. He's supposed to be a viper-eyed hellraiser, but he looks way too pretty.

Overall I thought this show would suck, but it doesn't. Following CPDR's Witcher 3 is a tough job for anyone, and that I'm still watching is a good sign.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Adnor posted:

Geralt story happens decades before Ciri's in the first chapter. Ciri mentions that Calanthe had her first victory when she was around her age and Renfri mentions that fight as something that just happened.

But yeah, they should have made the timeline more clear.

Wow. Okay, so I've been following the series for a decade and still didn't understand the time frame.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Phenotype posted:

I might be misremembering since it's been a while, but in the original story Duny asks for the law of surprise as he sees it as a way of possibly breaking his curse in a sort of princess and the frog sort of way. He kind of tricks the king into giving him his daughter. At the end he says to Geralt that he can have anything he wants as payment, and Geralt says "Are you really sure? Anything?" and Duny says yes, so he invokes the law of surprise to get his child, as a sort of comeuppance for Duny for falling for the same trick he pulled. I think there's something about the fate aspect of the law of surprise makes the child more likely to survive the process of turning into a Witcher too.

The world is based on fairy tales so that sort of poetic twist fits well.

In the show he doesn't believe in destiny so he just says it as a joke.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Never read the books or played the games, I'm on episode four and the timeline is very confusing and unclear. I don't know what they could do about that other than just have text saying "x years ago" but that wouldn't really fit with the show.

The three storylines are linear with respect to themselves and end at the same time. Yennefer's takes place over probably 100 years, Geralt's over aobut 30 and Ciri's over a week.

CJ fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 21, 2019

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
ive read the books and i thought this was a pretty good adaptation, far closer than I expected it to be. It had some rough edges and I think the three time frames will confuse the gently caress out of people who aren't at least already familiar with the characters/setting from the games, but I hope we get more than two seasons

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
The talk of the gratuitous nudity is a bit of a puzzle to me so far I am on ep 4 and have not seen anything out of place in the presumably intended context. Unless it doubles down on the tits later on ?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thats not candy posted:

ive read the books and i thought this was a pretty good adaptation, far closer than I expected it to be. It had some rough edges and I think the three time frames will confuse the gently caress out of people who aren't at least already familiar with the characters/setting from the games, but I hope we get more than two seasons

yeah it's been a good experience and i hope they get more to flesh out the flaws

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
gently caress it I'm going to read the books. The order to them on wikipedia is

The Last Wish
Sword of Destiny
Blood of Elves
Time of Contempt
Baptism of Fire
The Tower of the Swallow
The Lady of the Lake
Season of Storms

Is that the order I should be reading them in, or is there some alternate preferred way similar to the last two GoT books?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
They are chronological other than Season of Storms that is set around the time of the first two. I haven't read that one but from what i understand you should read them in the order they were released which is the order you have.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

CJ posted:

I might be misremembering since it's been a while, but in the original story Duny asks for the law of surprise as he sees it as a way of possibly breaking his curse in a sort of princess and the frog sort of way. He kind of tricks the king into giving him his daughter. At the end he says to Geralt that he can have anything he wants as payment, and Geralt says "Are you really sure? Anything?" and Duny says yes, so he invokes the law of surprise to get his child, as a sort of comeuppance for Duny for falling for the same trick he pulled. I think there's something about the fate aspect of the law of surprise makes the child more likely to survive the process of turning into a Witcher too.

The world is based on fairy tales so that sort of poetic twist fits well.

In the show he doesn't believe in destiny so he just says it as a joke.

The three storylines are linear with respect to themselves and end at the same time. Yennefer's takes place over probably 100 years, Geralt's over aobut 30 and Ciri's over a week.

That actually makes me wonder how they'll treat some of Geralt's backstory, given the last few episodes sort of foreshadowing more to come there. They've followed three different timelines over a 100ish year period to link them all together in the last decade so far, but it's hard for me to imagine how they'll dip back in time to Geralt's childhood or whatever in a way that isn't distracting. His age is never made clear that I recall, but Sapkowski said in an interview that he's "over 50" at the time the books are written.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Okay, all done.

Unfortunately, "something more" had zero emotional punch compared to the original. A big miss on the show's part and a regrettable loss.

Overall, I enjoyed the series but I really only liked Geralt's storyline (which, fortunately, is the majority of the show). Yen was fine, there was just not enough to cover an entire season of material. Ciri's was boring and inconsequential. If you cut out every scene of hers after episode one and before episode seven, then you miss absolutely nothing.

I'd be interested in seeing a chronological cut. That ultimately would have been a better idea. I get that they wanted to introduce Ciri and Yen earlier but I really don't think it's done the show any favours: it's just made the show unnecesaarily complicated and wildly inconsistent in quality. Opening with Geralt and building his character through self-contained adventures while gradually introducing the others and expanding the world would have felt more organic and given the story more room to breathe. Cutting back and forth constantly between the three storylines just gets annoying after a while.

Looking forward to Season 2 since they have to go forward chronologically now. The writing is generally good and I like all the actors for the major characters so I hope things can only improve from here.

Good god though, was that really the best child actor they could find for Young Geralt? His dialogue was bad but the delivery was horrendous.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I was prepared to be horribly disappointed in this being an inevitable trainwreck of an adaptation. Instead I'm disappointed that I binged it in 8 hours and now have to wait a year for more.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So this was a pretty fun show! Went into it knowing pretty much nothing about the Witcher, and yeah, it could use a bit more backstory and explanation, but a lot of it is unnecessary to follow the story. I got in the habit of looking up episode recaps after I watched each episode to fill in some of the blanks, but for the most part I understood pretty much everything I needed to by the end of the episode. Looking through this thread, people have been worried about them throwing in book stuff like "the convergence of the spheres" and thinking it'll confuse new readers, but honestly it just turns into background noise -- I remember the wizards mentioning that phrase once or twice, but I think I just assumed its some fancy wizard thing and ignored it.

The timeline was the hardest thing to follow, really, and I still don't know why they didn't do a more straightforward chronological order through the episodes, maybe with a few obvious flashbacks to stuff like Yennefer's upbringing. It wasn't clear that each character's story wasn't taking place at the same time until 3-4 hours in, which added to the learning curve for new viewers like me. (I actually noticed them mentioning Calenthe in the second episode or so and realized something was going on, but something like that would usually go over my head -- I don't think I'm alone in saying that I usually don't remember a character's weird fantasy name until they've been on screen quite a few times. I still don't know the name of Yennefer's boyfriend from mage school, and I still think of the headmistress as Mean McGonagall.)

e: Should I read the books or play the game next if I'm interested in more Witcher? Is the English translation good?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The first couple books are translated by Danusia Stok and they're an okay translation. David French translated the rest and they're a lot better.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Phenotype posted:

e: Should I read the books or play the game next if I'm interested in more Witcher? Is the English translation good?

The books. The games actually take place after the books and while you can certainly play them without reading the series first, its all mostly good. Get as much Witcher into you as you can.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cavill is really gargling the gravel in episode 7.

Alkabob
May 31, 2011
I would like to speak to the manager about the socialists, please

bloom posted:

Why were they rowing their way there instead of teleporting? I don't know much about how magic works in witcher but portals seem to be one of the main things mages do.

Probably to maintain the element of surprise. Portaling does not go unnoticed and would have given advanced warning to the big bads.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tehran 1979 posted:

gently caress it I'm going to read the books. The order to them on wikipedia is

The Last Wish
Sword of Destiny
Blood of Elves
Time of Contempt
Baptism of Fire
The Tower of the Swallow
The Lady of the Lake
Season of Storms

Is that the order I should be reading them in, or is there some alternate preferred way similar to the last two GoT books?

I downloaded all the audio books the other night, i'll be starting them after i finish my current book

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wonder if they'll just move right into the games once they finish all the books, if the show makes it that far.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Who knows. Given the way the games begin and develop over time I don't think a direct translation of them would really work.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Not really feeling the show after the first episode, but it has introduced the "Geralt voice" to my household and my girlfriend is probably going to leave me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

Fruits of the sea posted:

Not really feeling the show after the first episode, but it has introduced the "Geralt voice" to my household and my girlfriend is probably going to leave me.

The general consensus is that the first episode is not very good. There's a big improvement episode by episode and you'll know whether or not you want to keep watching by the end of Ep 3.

Rocksicles posted:

I downloaded all the audio books the other night, i'll be starting them after i finish my current book

Hope it's a woman reading it, the whole prologue of the first book is a sex scene. Now I'm understanding a lot of the posts more.