Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

well i learned something interesting. there's an episode of the new high school music series that apparently has an open teenage gay relationship. i could be wrong, but i think this is the first for a disney series.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Well hey, Netflix is showing Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated, probably the best in the franchise.

okay, someone explain the way netflix works for me. do they cycle their shows or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I wound up going on a Recess binge-watch, and it turns out it still holds up!

Also I found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAIXs-0CJt8
Works quite well, I think.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Yvonmukluk posted:

So I wound up going on a Recess binge-watch, and it turns out it still holds up!

Also I found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAIXs-0CJt8
Works quite well, I think.

I liked the show overall but hated the one where Gretchen thinks she's gonna be an astronaut. It was just her embarrassing herself for no reason and I hate that kind of thing. Muriel owned though, I liked how she was characterised. Menlo and Peter Prickly too. They just had to deal with life and it.... hardened them. Muriel got old, everything started hurting, her figure blew out and she became bitter, and Menlo just... grew out of his friends due to a heightened sense of duty in early childhood, but still remained close with TJ even if they didn't have much in common any more. Peter used to be just like TJ as a kid, but then had to straighten up when he got into teaching. As far as I remember I think Randall was always just a poo poo, but I liked how the other villains got extra character as the show went on. It's just canon that Spinelli and Finster pretend to still hate each other on school grounds to keep their respective reputations in check after the babysitting episode.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the show overall but hated the one where Gretchen thinks she's gonna be an astronaut. It was just her embarrassing herself for no reason and I hate that kind of thing. Muriel owned though, I liked how she was characterised. Menlo and Peter Prickly too. They just had to deal with life and it.... hardened them. Muriel got old, everything started hurting, her figure blew out and she became bitter, and Menlo just... grew out of his friends due to a heightened sense of duty in early childhood, but still remained close with TJ even if they didn't have much in common any more. Peter used to be just like TJ as a kid, but then had to straighten up when he got into teaching. As far as I remember I think Randall was always just a poo poo, but I liked how the other villains got extra character as the show went on. It's just canon that Spinelli and Finster pretend to still hate each other on school grounds to keep their respective reputations in check after the babysitting episode.

That episode wasn't just Gretchen embarrassing herself for no reason, it led to the conflict between her & TJ over him trying to live vicariously through her going to space to live out his own dreams.

And you're right that they did an excellent job humanising all the antagonists (I think 'villains' is bit strong, except for the replacement principal played by Tim Curry and James Woods' character from the movie). Yes, even Randall, who was genuinely friends with Finster.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I only saw the odd episode, did the side-characters get more than their names in personality? Like I remember that one kid that Gus liked who turned out to be a Navy daughter and they had that Romeo and Juliet thing going on due to their dads being pissy about each other's military branches, but can't recall if Upside-Down Girl or The Diggers ever got any further characterisation.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly if Recess had been a more modern show(or had been a non Disney show for the era), there probably would have been at least one episode where someone(indeed probably a group of peopke) got tired of Randall's snitching and just beat the poo poo out of him, which would probably have some interesting repercussions, especially considering how that show almost never had any real violence happen

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly if Recess had been a more modern show(or had been a non Disney show for the era), there probably would have been at least one episode where someone(indeed probably a group of peopke) got tired of Randall's snitching and just beat the poo poo out of him, which would probably have some interesting repercussions, especially considering how that show almost never had any real violence happen

That would have ended the episode where Spinelli was outed as having the first name Ashley. She'd have just pummeled Randall right there and no one would ever doubt she did not belong with the Ashleys. In about 10-15 years though I could see her accepting Ash as a nickname, once she's old enough to realise that she has control of her image and having an embarrassing first name is no big deal.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 21, 2019

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

That would have ended the episode where Spinelli was outed as having the first name Ashley. She'd have just pummeled Randall right there and no one would ever doubt she did not belong with the Ashleys. In about 10-15 years though I could see her accepting Ash as a nickname, once she's old enough to realise that she has control of her image and having an embarrassing first name is no big deal.

Well I was figuring for this scenario it wouldn't be one of the main characters doing that for obvious reasons, though you do have a point

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Well I was figuring for this scenario it wouldn't be one of the main characters doing that for obvious reasons, though you do have a point

You're right, it'd be someone totally unlikely. Menlo. Randall threatens to tell the Principal that he's been using the office pens to do his homework, and Menlo just decks him one with "That's not even a RULE idiot!" Menlo grows up to be the narrator from Fight Club.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

You're right, it'd be someone totally unlikely. Menlo. Randall threatens to tell the Principal that he's been using the office pens to do his homework, and Menlo just decks him one with "That's not even a RULE idiot!" Menlo grows up to be the narrator from Fight Club.

I was thinking more of a full on beating rather than just getting decked, like the kind that requires a long hospital visit due to the severity of the injuries sustained, like this would not be treated as being funny whatsoever(like it'd be on the level of that episode of Gargoyles where Broadway accidentally shoots Elisa with her own gun in terms of how serious it's treated)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Sounds like the kind of Plot that would come about if Recess were written by the Steven Universe team.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Seems also like something that'd happen if they weren't in elementary school. Remember: they're 10 in a mostly middle class school.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

and then we zoom out and the recess world is in a snowglobe of a sick hospital kid!! and then he takes pills and his talking tiger friend reverts back to a doll

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Honestly the thing that put me on to rewatching Recess was this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLdcFnAbohY

And it kind of points out how Recess is weirdly similar to Community. Only it actually got 6 seasons and a movie.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I love the episode where they try to legally ban the word "Whomps" and when the Judge hears the actual word being discussed as they've been dancing around saying it in front of him feeling it's obscene, he just laughs his rear end off waving off the case with "It's a funny word! Relax! There are far worse words he could be using."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

BioEnchanted posted:

I seem to recall she actually went for him after he initially tried blackmailing her, and the Ashleys specifically brought her in to try and force her to conform to their...Ashleyness after it got out. She outright stated that she had no problem with the name (in fact she respected her great aunt she was named after as a family hero), it's just because she had to share it with The Ashleys. Interestingly, considering said aunt ran the Iditarod and considering Spinelli and her mom's appearance, it's entirely possible that her mother's side of the family are Alaskan Native.

Although it did seem like Spinelli was going to smack the everloving poo poo out of him at the end of the episode.

Also I kidn of realised another interesting detail when I was watching the valentines episode: it seems strange that Spinelli would care at all about Valentine's Day, since she's resistant to anything she sees as girly, until you remember that it was established in the parent's night episode that she has a crush on TJ, so of course she'd be happy to get one from him (and be angry when she found out she wasn't the only one).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Speaking of Recess and the Ashleys, this show was the reason I watched Heathers. I'd heard that the Ashleys were based on the Heathers from the movie, so looked up the movie on youtube. Very different scenario...

Also, if they abbreviated their names they'd be able to judge cricket tournaments (because they'd be the Ashes)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They might have to deal with Pokemon jokes for a while though.

Four-girl preppy cliques were a whole Thing in the 90s, I'm sure them having common upper-middle class white girl names is just taking the stereotype home. Daria's example might be one of the most nuanced, especially since Quinn basically ends up destabilising the whole thing in the long run by being relatively well-adjusted. (Could do a whole thing on Quinn's arc, though I feel like a key part is that she learns from Daria while using lessons in her own way)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They might have to deal with Pokemon jokes for a while though.

Four-girl preppy cliques were a whole Thing in the 90s, I'm sure them having common upper-middle class white girl names is just taking the stereotype home. Daria's example might be one of the most nuanced, especially since Quinn basically ends up destabilising the whole thing in the long run by being relatively well-adjusted. (Could do a whole thing on Quinn's arc, though I feel like a key part is that she learns from Daria while using lessons in her own way)

I think there was even a second 4-girl clique that showed up in another episode of Recess. Maybe they went to the school Prickley's brother ran that had suspiciously similar versions of the main cast.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think there was even a second 4-girl clique that showed up in another episode of Recess. Maybe they went to the school Prickley's brother ran that had suspiciously similar versions of the main cast.

The Ashleys also each had a younger brother that also had the same names and formed a clique about it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

This is interesting. A cartoon that actually just plain up states that the parents got divorced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoXHAjYwIZo

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hihohe posted:

This is interesting. A cartoon that actually just plain up states that the parents got divorced.

While it's not the goofy (yet interesting) point of the entire show, Arthur talked about divorce back in 1999.

https://arthur.fandom.com/wiki/1001_Dads

It's not exactly a new concept for kids shows but to make a joke out of it is, I guess.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Phineas and Ferb had some pretty prominent divorce with Dr. Doofenschmirtz and his ex-wife. It's possible Phineas's dad and Ferb's mom are gone because of a divorce, although that's never explored.

I've been rewatching some of Amphibia because season 2 is coming in 2020, and Hop Pop totally should've taken that barn full of snails and sold them off.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Oh poo poo! Netflix got Sym-Biotic Titan!

I thought it was gonna be lost forever!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Hihohe posted:

It's becoming more common in cartoons nowadays. Infinity Train and Twelve Forever feature the main characters' parents' divorces pretty prominently.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Phineas and Ferb had some pretty prominent divorce with Dr. Doofenschmirtz and his ex-wife. It's possible Phineas's dad and Ferb's mom are gone because of a divorce, although that's never explored.

I've been rewatching some of Amphibia because season 2 is coming in 2020, and Hop Pop totally should've taken that barn full of snails and sold them off.

Didn't doofensmirtz just pretend to be divorced because there were some benefits to being separated. I think they sang a whole song about it.

Although I dont really watch P&F I like the songs

https://youtu.be/jNV_fVZx-zY

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

PicklePants posted:

Oh poo poo! Netflix got Sym-Biotic Titan!

I thought it was gonna be lost forever!

I saw that today and was so excited. Still mad all those loose plot threads never got tied up. :smith:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Hihohe posted:

Didn't doofensmirtz just pretend to be divorced because there were some benefits to being separated. I think they sang a whole song about it.

Nah the fact that his ex-wife pays him alimony comes up multiple times, we even see a closeup of one of the checks and she gives him a lot

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hihohe posted:

That's actually an alternate universe episode, which is why he has an eyepatch.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Makes sense, those are the rules of AUs.
:hmmyes:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hihohe posted:

Makes sense, those are the rules of AUs.
:hmmyes:

You're thinking of goatees

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Eyepatches are for the folks who can't or don't grow goatees.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

Nah the fact that his ex-wife pays him alimony comes up multiple times, we even see a closeup of one of the checks and she gives him a lot

Yeah, that's where he gets his funding for evil schemes from. Though one episode has him get patent money from legit inventions he's annoyed are being used for good.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

YggiDee posted:

Eyepatches are for the folks who can't or don't grow goatees.

He actually has a goatee, so that point is a bit moot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

cant cook creole bream posted:

He actually has a goatee, so that point is a bit moot.

Doof don't do things by half-measures. Unless he's really hungover that one time.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I nominated Bluey in my end of year top 10. You should watch it if you haven't! If there is a kid's show that you'd like to nominate, make yourself heard at https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905825

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is having characters who wouldn’t usually use words like “dope” and “fresh” toss those words out nonchalantly something all Cartoon Network shows do now, or is this how kids these days actually talk?

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
There was a Infinity Train Book 2 preview after the Book 1 marathon today. New group dynamic looks fun.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I come seeking aid.

My gf and I dabbled with arcane, dark arts this week. We tried watching a kids show on Netflix, called Robot Trains, because it looked like a procedurally generated cartoon thing, and we thought it would be fun to laugh at.

We didn't laugh. We could not understand what in the heck was even happening. The first episode drops you in like there's been three seasons of backstory, and there's magic portals and the robots have carriages sometimes but do they have people on them? It's unclear. Everything is unclear.

Did we imagine this horror? Is it a test, where only our account can access this, to filter us out as people who see through the mind control rays or something?

Please. Help. Explain literally, literally anything about this hellscape of Robot Trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
All i can tell is that its a korean show and there is very little information in english.