Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ikit, we have a NAP. You are at war with both of your neighbours. WHY are you using your plague agents on me?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Must have bugged out for me, then. Tis a shame.

I wonder if it matters that I took the Major settlement first? Took the Islands after the major settlement.

For me I had to negotiate the confed with the flamey bois (they’re the west one right?) but got the confed offered in a pop-up with the ones east of the strigos vamps. Also why did they make Ushoran a necromancer? Dude was literally the first strigoi roidrager type vamp.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Broken Cog posted:

Ikit, we have a NAP. You are at war with both of your neighbours. WHY are you using your plague agents on me?!

schemes, yo. SCHEMES.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Playing without the Passive AI Agents mod is hell

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

The Duggler posted:

yea its just garbage. agent actions have been garbage *forever*

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Broken Cog posted:

This is a totally in character thing for rats to do

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

While they're at it, have Thorgrim start at war with Queek and Snikch so there's no more "aversion -50, mutual war with greenskins +500000" style team ups between them.

Yes. Dwarf alliances are too easy as queek. Doesn't even have to be thorgrim, just a dwarf.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

RoyalScion posted:

These new poison wind mortars are new levels of warcrimes against infantry sheesh :clint:

How are they compared to death globes? Are death globes even worthwhile anymore now that a cheaper, lower tier unit does the same sort of thing?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Is there a good up-to-date breakdown or guide or something on how to not loving suck at campaign map management? Because I can win battles but like how the gently caress are people managing more than 2 or 3 regions? Every time I go one direction to expand, because I need to, to not die and lose, three different factions attack from three different directions. So I have to run my armies back across my territory to break sieges but as soon as I get close the AI runs their armies away and even if I catch them I only get like four or five turns of peace and then they bring a doomstack back into my poo poo, and that's barely enough time to even get back to wherever I was dealing with before.

It feels like every AI faction knows that they don't have to win, they just have to prevent the player from winning, so they can do whatever stupid suicidal poo poo as long as it fucks my poo poo up.

Like, my current attempt is Ikit Claw vortex. I take River Qurveza and then head south to take Headhunter's Jungle and Mangrove Coast. Then some shitlizards come and siege from the Southern Great Jungle. So I turn around and get them to gently caress off. Then some Dark Elf boatfuckers flop all over the Mangrove Coast. So I head south and kick their asses. Their faction is destroyed. Yay. But loving Itza is still stumbling around drunk and sieging the River Qurveza area. Repeat forever. It's turn 86 and I'm still loving around on this idiot southern zone unable to secure anything because the second I turn in one direction, some dipshit reptiles or scene elves come around laying siege to settlements and I have to spend 3+ turns shuffling my dumbass rat idiots all the way to Chupayotl to get them to leave and they won't even fight me once I arrive.

Is there some strategy I should be employing that will make this not suck rear end? Can you win a vortex campaign with like two regions? Or is the campaign map just doomed to be "run around like loving morons chasing AI that's desperately avoiding any fights that it doesn't think it can 100% win while other factions poke you in the rear end because your army isn't there right now" because I had enough of that bullshit in EVE and I have zero patience for it unless the AI starts sending me really salty killmail.

Use Heroes that can Block Army to stop chases, multiple armies to box them in or have a stack waiting at the approach they'll use while your aggressors are off pushing elsewhere. You can also try Ambushing in the same expected defensive spots. Build up defensive buildings/walls as well, the AI will always approach a settlement it can see it can take based off an auto-resolve calc, even if it has to siege a few turns to do it/get the ram and towers. Note that no matter how much an army runs they can't push their settlements to new locations(aside from y'know, Hordes) so don't go to war with somebody, take one province and leave them with two while running off to snag Vortex Plot Tokens somewhere else. You gotta clear your plate. If you don't want to be bothered with owning their land it is better to raze them into the dust to get their -200 At War off the table for the rest of the campaign. Or at least force a Peace Treaty, a lot of AI will come to you with the offer if you're a big swaggering power and take so much of their land they think you're going for the finish. The AI seems very reluctant to get trust penalties and won't break NAP/Peace Treaty and go to war too fast, I'm not sure if they're bound by the 10 turn limit or not but you do get more breathing room than you'd think.

But overall it is very difficult to actually fight a whirlwind multi-province/multi-front war because EVERYONE associated with your foes will get in on the action if they're nearby and a lot of closely related factions will start confederating and make the overall It takes a lot of heat off you to have some neighbors you're on good diplomatic terms with. Like at the start of every campaign now I will do Diplomacy once a turn and beat down anyone with a yellow odds or better for NAP and Trade. Having adjacent neighbors in a Military Alliance or Defensive Treaty is useful because they won't shank you at inopportune times, other enemies have to clear their land to reach you from that side and it is all free. Just be careful on what wars they try to drag you into, if the Diplomacy option specifically uses the words "Break Treaty" you'll get like -100 with them, if it doesn't you can ignore it multiple times in a row. I just had one of these because two friends wanted to fight so I had to pick one, broke treaty against the guy fighting 3-4 factions on the same land mass, he hasn't had time to declare on me yet. There was also a time I refused frequent friendship overtures from Orcs because they made my previous friends mad by existing(probably raided/sacked/took their land before I got to that part of the map) and every time the screen came up between turns I could see the Orc land shrink and my pal's land grow, so even NAP with them wouldn't be worthwhile for the hits to my strong pals.

Basically you have to try to piece together a rough web of who is pals with who, who is doing what wars, the little summary under their portrait is right there, and make some friends, going 100% Kill-Fight-Death is fun but you gotta pay the toll to go down that road and pay it frequently, even when you have enough armies to hold 3 fronts it gets grating when some other jerk sails onto your coast or a rogue army spawns. Also if you get sea contact or the event where all major port owners become aware of one another, making friends on other continents pays off. I lost a lot of pressure from Clan Mors in my Vortex Khalida game because I was able to convince Settra on their home continent to be my pal. By the time I got over there the two each had 1/3 the continent and hated each other so Queek couldn't afford to send armies across the ocean in the second half of the game. Some LL and factions have innate Diplomacy bonuses, sometimes you start a specific campaign and I think it is a neat detail that some factions are already friendly presumably because of things like the Dwarves remember forever the time when the Tomb Kings were alive and did them a solid, or like how Kroq'gar gets along well with the Wood Elves he starts near.

quote:

It feels like every AI faction knows that they don't have to win, they just have to prevent the player from winning, so they can do whatever stupid suicidal poo poo as long as it fucks my poo poo up.

Specifically for the Vortex things will always get spicier when you do Vortex rituals because of Chaos/Intervention armies, so being stuck in forever war on too many fronts is Hell. I'm also pretty sure that one of the base 4 races that does the 5 Rituals can't befriend the other 3, the option is usually grayed out for me.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Azran posted:

Monthly reminder to remove Community Scripting Framework from your mod list! Hasn't worked in months and next to no working mods use it.
So apparently the reason for this is that at some point CA added the functionality that the Community Modding Framework was providing (apparently the ability to load multiple independent scripts from different mods) so only old mods that still use the CMF are left. Anything recent is standalone. And I guess the guy that did it has it low on his priority list because of that.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Anyone know of any good mods to make the "bad guys" more powerful in the campaign? The first Chaos invasion wave is behind held off by Kislev and Talabecland without breaking a sweat. Like they can't even siege down Prague level bad.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This gets you bigger chaos invasion.
This lets you buff and nerf any of the main factions at the start of a game.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Vargs posted:

How are they compared to death globes? Are death globes even worthwhile anymore now that a cheaper, lower tier unit does the same sort of thing?

Death Globadiers and Poisoned Wind Mortars are the same tier. Poisoned Wind Globadiers got retooled to be anti-infantry and are sort of like a shittier version of Death Globes. Poisoned Wind Mortars are basically Poisoned Wind Globadiers with a shitload of range and fire arc. Death Globadiers badly outdamage both, but are far less safe/easy to use than mortars.

e: The Eshin campaign is getting a little stale. While the Eshin army comps are certainly ludicrously powerful and unique, it takes a hundred thousand years to build up your rep with the other clans to make fielding significant numbers of non-Eshin units remotely viable, especially since what clan contracts you get are completely random and can frequently spawn at cross purposes. I like a little more variety in my campaign than "every single stack is 12 gutter runners and the rest are a mix of warp grinders for siege attacker, death runners, and triads with a sorcerer and an assassin in each one".

Kanos fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 22, 2019

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I haven’t tried the death globes recently, but the poison wind dot on the mortars does pretty absurd amounts of damage.

They’re also great at murdering my own triads and death runners.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

A current problem with ME is the terrible Greenskin faction and how they wage war on absolutely everyone making the world unite together in a common goal. "You attacked the greenskins? So did I! Let's forge a defensive alliance!". In my last Eshin game they were getting pulverized by absolutely everyone and yet STILL declared war on me and marched an army through dwarf infested mountains to die in my territory.

Right around the time the greenskins are eliminated chaos appears and the friendship circle jerk continues, and before you know it every good faction in the world is allied with each other while the bad factions continue to backstab each other.

RoyalScion posted:

I haven’t tried the death globes recently, but the poison wind dot on the mortars does pretty absurd amounts of damage.

They are absolutely brutal while sieging due to their high arc and big damage.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 22, 2019

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Kanos posted:

e: The Eshin campaign is getting a little stale. While the Eshin army comps are certainly ludicrously powerful and unique, it takes a hundred thousand years to build up your rep with the other clans to make fielding significant numbers of non-Eshin units remotely viable, especially since what clan contracts you get are completely random and can frequently spawn at cross purposes. I like a little more variety in my campaign than "every single stack is 12 gutter runners and the rest are a mix of warp grinders for siege attacker, death runners, and triads with a sorcerer and an assassin in each one".

Yeah, I'm feeling this too, and only like 50 turns in

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
So doin a Tehenhauin campaign because ngl, his little intro video is so adorbs. But having grown up with sooooo many species of skinks around I have to say it’s annoying that the warhams folks didn’t give them the skink-scale look. I mean I know it’s minor but generally it’s a big distinction of skink vs other lizards. Thanks for coming to my warham talk.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Not sure what my strategy as Skaven should be, since it feels like taking too many settlements is actually a terrible mistake since it make food consumption go up way too much.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

SunAndSpring posted:

Not sure what my strategy as Skaven should be, since it feels like taking too many settlements is actually a terrible mistake since it make food consumption go up way too much.

It used to be way worse but they buffed food production.

What you want to do is have lots of slave armies raiding for food. One lord, as many slaves as you can fit, then go to town raiding and expect him to betray you.

Negative food isn't that big of a thing. Every time someone betrays you, you kill them and get more food and money from the battle.

Although if you expand wisely, you don't need to do the raiding gimmick but you have to find food producing areas and then complete provinces.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

RoyalScion posted:

Working as intended, yes-yes!

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

The Duggler posted:

Haven't used passive agents mode since early wh1 and the AI does maybe on average 4-5 successful agent actions against me per campaign, so it's really not bad at all.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Choyi posted:

Haven't used passive agents mode since early wh1 and the AI does maybe on average 4-5 successful agent actions against me per campaign, so it's really not bad at all.

I remember in late WH1(like shortly before Norsca) playing an Empire campaign where I literally had nearly a dozen agents from various factions I was at war with following Karl Franz's stack around spamming every single action they could on him every turn.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
On my current campaign, 90% of the time I will watch an enemy agent move right up next to my army, but not actually do anything, no failure message at all. Maybe agent actions are the lowest thing in the AI priority list or something, so they spend all their money on other things first? I have had a couple actions resolve against me so it's not some universal thing. Weird, but I don't really mind!

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Choyi posted:

I swore off enabled enemy agent actions forever after those early TWW1 days where they were doing an average of 4-5 successful agent actions against you per turn.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Me during my first WH1 vamp campaign: “What in the gently caress..... I have literally a supreme badass delete-enemy-lords general and that little rear end in a top hat can saunter into my army and erase half of all graveguards.... How?!”

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Death Globes are the killiest thing ever, and works extremely well with infantry based armies.
I want to give the poison wind mortars a shot though, they should work well thematically as well with Clan Pestilens poo poo.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Third World Reagan posted:

It used to be way worse but they buffed food production.

What you want to do is have lots of slave armies raiding for food. One lord, as many slaves as you can fit, then go to town raiding and expect him to betray you.

Negative food isn't that big of a thing. Every time someone betrays you, you kill them and get more food and money from the battle.

Although if you expand wisely, you don't need to do the raiding gimmick but you have to find food producing areas and then complete provinces.

I think the main thing to do is to start spreading undercities ASAP. Depending on how you allocate your buildings, undercities are a passive source of income and/or food (or a mixture of the two). Hire an engineer and make sure they create an undercity every 10 turns, preferably in a new area away from your other ones. Be sure to make a beeline for big ticket cities like Karaz-a-Karak, Altdorf, Couronne, Naggarond, Lothern, etc. In my game, the dwarves were pulling in 6k+ a turn from Mount Gunbad, so that was an easy 3k turn for me with the 'rat mafia' line of buildings. Use the big cities as sources of money and the crappy settlements as sources of food (you can get 3 food an undercity, or a combination of 1 or 2 food + money). If it's the first undercity in an area, make the mine buildings so that it will spread. It costs a lot of money, but effectively you are investing your money into the future. Eventually you end up with more food and gold than you know what to do with if you are patient.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 22, 2019

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

SunAndSpring posted:

Most of my under cities are a raiding camp and deeper tunnels and thats it, that'll net you decent food and dosh each turn and its fire and forget while your undercity expands passively.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Not sure if this is an anomaly, but in my current Sartosa game, Greenskins are absolutely destroying the Badlands. (no mods)
50 turns in, Grimgor has 40 settlements, and is at war (and winning) on almost every front. It's pretty fun, orcs are way more fun to fight than dwarves at the very least.

Edit: Oh, and Cult of Pleasure seems to have taken half of Ulthuan.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 22, 2019

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Broken Cog posted:

Not sure if this is an anomaly, but in my current Sartosa game, Greenskins are absolutely destroying the Badlands. (no mods)
50 turns in, Grimgor has 40 settlements, and is at war (and winning) on almost every front. It's pretty fun, orcs are way more fun to fight than dwarves at the very least.

Edit: Oh, and Cult of Pleasure seems to have taken half of Ulthuan.

That is cool and I hope it continues, but the same thing happened in my game but eventually the greenskins bit off more than they could chew and everything eventually got taken by the dwarves (and Clan Mors... which was cool, it was the best I had ever seen a Skaven AI player do in ME). It would definitely be nice to see Lothern take a beating for once, since in every campaign I play they end up in the top 3 with Naggarond a few spots behind.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Motherfucker posted:

Most of my under cities are a raiding camp and deeper tunnels and thats it, that'll net you decent food and dosh each turn and its fire and forget while your undercity expands passively.

The Undercities expand passively? Like without building Subterranean Pits that consume 2 food a turn each?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I think the closest I've ever seen the A.I come to knocking out the Helves is the Cult of Pleasure taking the west coast and Leoncoeur taking the east but the interior held and then Morinth started gunning for me as Wulfhart and the Brets started floundering for one reason or another and ugh.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
In my current ME campaign as Lokhir the Cult of Pleasure took all of southwest Ulthuan including Lothern itself by the time I sent forces up there (around turn 60) and Malekith (who owns all of Naggaroth) keeps invading the north then getting kicked out. The High Elves definitely seem a lot more pressed now.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

drat Dirty Ape posted:

That is cool and I hope it continues, but the same thing happened in my game but eventually the greenskins bit off more than they could chew and everything eventually got taken by the dwarves (and Clan Mors... which was cool, it was the best I had ever seen a Skaven AI player do in ME). It would definitely be nice to see Lothern take a beating for once, since in every campaign I play they end up in the top 3 with Naggarond a few spots behind.

I honestly don't care much if they get pushed back around turn 150, since most of the campaign is over by then. They're here now, they're dominating and they're fun to fight.

Edit: Turn 70, the current top 5 are Greenskins, Naggarond, Rictus, Empire and... uhm Knights of Origo. Lothern is down at 10th, and dwarves are at 25.
Weird game.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 22, 2019

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well my Eshin campaign is going wierd. I threw a riot at the closest Karak Azul city and went south to set up an undercity on the islands below, and when I came back, half of Karak Azul has been razed to the ground.

I've just been going through hoovering up abandoned ruins and I seem to have noting to actually fight up north.

I'm guessing it's a beastman tribe or something, but I haven't found it yet. It's just a foreboding settlement going dark each turn.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

smug jeebus posted:

The Undercities expand passively? Like without building Subterranean Pits that consume 2 food a turn each?

No, you need the pits or the mineshafts to expand passively. I basically prioritze undercities as expansion nodes or food/money suppliers (rat king army and most other buildings are terrible so don't bother).

If my engineer just plopped a new undercity on a new continent or in a spot surrounded by a lot of settlements (like Altdorf) I'll make mineshafts + max food building + deep tunnels. This costs -100g a turn and is food neutral, but will help expand more quickly.

My 'edge' undercities (edge of my web of undercities) will usually have max food building + deep tunnels + the pits. This makes the undercity give +1 food and cost -50g a turn. If I am money short you can add thieves hidey holes or warp token stash for + money and be food neutral.

Bankroll undercities are places like Altdorf and they just get deep tunnels + ratkin mafia. It costs 2 food for a whole lot of money (in my current game Altdorf is bringing in 3400g a turn so I am making 1700g a turn. I am getting over 3560g a turn from Mount Gunbad).

Lazy settlements will often have deep tunnels plus a raiding camp. This gives +2 food and + money and is a 'fire and forget' kind of thing.

Regular old settlements can have different combinations of food buildings and warp token stash (better for low income settlements like tomb kings and greenskins) or thieves hidey holes depending on whether or not I need food or money more.

Also, go back and destroy pits and mineshafts once they have little room to spread.

Sorry if this was rambling. I should add, this strategy works great for a 'long slow burn' approach and will eventually snowball, but definitely isn't a 'win game in as few turns as possible' way to play.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
With the changes to vision, I actually like keeping a small faction alive and surrounded by my armies with undercities in all of them. I can periodically sack them for cash and the undercity prevents them from getting high level accidentally. Similarly, if I'm not planning on expanding into an area, attacking border settlements and seeding them with undercities can help give me time to defend my territory.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I find it hilarious that its better to autoresolve vs Skaven because then they cant Menace From Below one of your units to death before your lines even meet. I have to chose between losing my archers (via fighting it out) or a chunk of a hero/monster (autoresolve) every battle and honestly this is pretty lame.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I find it hilarious that its better to autoresolve vs Skaven because then they cant Menace From Below one of your units to death before your lines even meet. I have to chose between losing my archers (via fighting it out) or a chunk of a hero/monster (autoresolve) every battle and honestly this is pretty lame.

have a unit or two behind your archers stretched as wide as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Malus shipment invasions caused Clan Mors to gain three armies on top of the two they already had on my borders but heading elsewhere and forced a war declaration so I got dumpstered by 5 stacks of rats before unlocking shades, that campaign's mechanics probably need looking at.