Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

JackSplater posted:

Other than the second time you have to do it. And any other times, if you want to replay the game (because for some reason 5 doesn't have a NG+ option)

Sunswipe posted:

Yup. I'd like to give it a replay, but I can't bring myself to sit through all the stuff it takes to get to the game I want to play. If ever a game needed a NG+ option, it was this one.

It's still dumb and bad design that there's no way to skip it, but it did go down a bit better on my second playthrough when I actually knew what was going on storywise and didn't gently caress up the stealth or evasion sequences. Also I set myself up for a funny endgame reveal by forgetting that I used max-sliders to make my true self a weird lumpy boy, which was a good payoff many hours later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Nostradingus posted:

Giving the Witcher 3 another try. The game is visually hideous. The world looks ok but the npcs are so janky and ugly, they don't seem to belong in it. They look like CPR dummies.

I thought the actual world in the Witcher 3 looked amazing, especially the lighting and colour palette. I've never seen a game capture that low, rich autumn sunlight against a slate grey sky so perfectly, it felt exceptionally real....and then yeah, the NPCs all seem a bit off.

Then I stopped playing it completely and never picked it up again because the janky rear end sticky movement and horrible combat was making the experience miserable.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yeah I don’t get it. Witcher 3 was as close to flawless as any game in the last 15 years has gotten. Some of the NPC animations are a big janky and yeah the combat feels slow and somehow lacks impact and seems needlessly complex with the potions and signs and traps and ok some quests can become broken without you even realizing it until it’s too late and the inventory system could use a massive overhaul and the crafting and alchemy portions are something I tried and never went back to as they seem poorly explained and lots of work for little gain and sure the fall damage Geralt takes is maddening but other than all of those the game is pretty alright

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I might've touched on this earlier (one of those considered-posting-it-but-not-sure-if-I-really-did things):

One of the things that tends to bother me with in the Planet* games (Coaster mostly, but I've run into this in Zoo as well) is that the focus(ish? I understand that it doesn't force you to do it) on customizing and designing stuff is a complete no-sell for me. As a profoundly uncreative person who tends to build boring square homes out of wood in minecraft clones, I don't get any fun out of the game needling me to design a new drink shop or a tchotchke vendor every time. If the game sees fit to have X themes (like Coaster does, at least), I'd rather have X drink shops designed around X themes built into the game so I can just plop them down and keep playing the rest of the game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Werong Bustope posted:

I thought the actual world in the Witcher 3 looked amazing, especially the lighting and colour palette. I've never seen a game capture that low, rich autumn sunlight against a slate grey sky so perfectly, it felt exceptionally real....and then yeah, the NPCs all seem a bit off.

Then I stopped playing it completely and never picked it up again because the janky rear end sticky movement and horrible combat was making the experience miserable.

oldpainless posted:

Yeah I don’t get it. Witcher 3 was as close to flawless as any game in the last 15 years has gotten. Some of the NPC animations are a big janky and yeah the combat feels slow and somehow lacks impact and seems needlessly complex with the potions and signs and traps and ok some quests can become broken without you even realizing it until it’s too late and the inventory system could use a massive overhaul and the crafting and alchemy portions are something I tried and never went back to as they seem poorly explained and lots of work for little gain and sure the fall damage Geralt takes is maddening but other than all of those the game is pretty alright

For real. I had several issues with W3 (inventory management, control, sub menus, crafting) and gave up on it after 15 hours in or so but the god damned graphics certainly wasn't one of my problems. I thought it looked beautiful

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It could be dependent on what system you’re on, it was gorgeous on my PC rig at launch but it looks like Oblivion on the Switch.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

It could be dependent on what system you’re on, it was gorgeous on my PC rig at launch but it looks like Oblivion on the Switch.

It looks like poo poo on Xbox one x fwiw

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

The switch can’t play the god damned links awakening remake at a stable frame rate, I would hope no one judges the Witcher 3’s graphics based on how it runs on a potato.

The switch is one of those things I used to like a lot, but I’ve really soured on lately. It’ll do for when I’m working a night shift somewhere I can’t bring my laptop, but I never really feel the urge to pick it up outside of that. The joycons are pretty meh and fragile to boot, and the ports all feel pretty stripped down to be able to run in handheld mode.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Something something worth it for mobile on God's System

loving joycons though, I was able to touch my Switch from where it was docked and my new set that I got on Black Friday has connection issues. Love to not be playing a game anymore because half the controller disconnected

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Joycon analog stick fragility is the worst and makes the Switch a handheld console you're afraid to use in handheld mode; they wear out so fast! I used to bring the Pro Controller and a third-party kickstand on train rides, but just setting that up feels dumb as hell

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ruffian Price posted:

Joycon analog stick fragility is the worst and makes the Switch a handheld console you're afraid to use in handheld mode; they wear out so fast! I used to bring the Pro Controller and a third-party kickstand on train rides, but just setting that up feels dumb as hell

I had the top of a joycon stick bend while I was taking my switch out of its case, they’re crazy fragile. Apparently the stick drift is a matter of when, not if, too. Possibly the worst controllers Nintendo has made since the n64 one.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I'm on my third replacement and one of them has started drifting. I sincerely love my switch because I am simple person and it lets me play games in bed without a bunch of faff but gently caress me the joycons suck.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kennel posted:

It's great, but WWE games are one step above it.
Disagree. I've got 2k18 and have been frequently disappointed at my inability to create particular looks and to combine certain items. Plus, the WWE games don't have the shopping part. Driving around town and finding all the different shops is an essential part of it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I started playing the PS4 version of Wreckfest and man, that game has really bad onboarding. It just dumps you into the main menu and doesn't explain anything at all.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

muscles like this! posted:

I started playing the PS4 version of Wreckfest and man, that game has really bad onboarding. It just dumps you into the main menu and doesn't explain anything at all.

It's a fun game but I was disappointed with the single player. The AI seems at times gets stuck on taking you out as opposed to actually racing, going for big hits when it'll wreck then as well.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ruffian Price posted:

Joycon is the worst

:hmmyes:

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Add me to those who felt let down by MW5. I'm such a huge Battletech fan that I even like MWO simply because it's Battletech. I own over 200 mechs for the tabletop game! I played thousands of hours on MegaMek servers. Getting to pilot dozens of those mechs in a game is absolutely my jam and I will put up with a lot of crap to do so.

What gets me in MW5 isn't the mind-numbing story, the clunky repair system, lack of customization, traveling among systems, or the bad AI. I can gladly live with those.

The part I can't get past is the respawning enemies. It just runs SO MANY facets of combat. It's like they couldn't find the right number of enemy mechs for a challenge X mission so they just have endless waves of mechs and vehicles. Every mission just becomes "run in, kill the objective, run to extract ASAP." At least pay me more for killing stuff. Nope, it's a net loss every hit you take if it's not completing the primary goal. Specialty mechs, lance composition, splitting up, flanking, using terrain, scouting - all fairly worthless because there's a surprise Griffin up your rear end who spawned right behind you. And it guarantees I'll never see an actual cool mission design, like "you have to take down a trio of badass King Crabs using only mediums. Formulate a plan and figure it out!" That actually sounds like a fun challenge. But that's too much work, so nah, go check these 5 empty locations again and get picked apart by lights and vehicles that are too annoying to fight but too damaging to ignore.

Just such a bad idea. I'm so pissed.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Eclipse12 posted:

Add me to those who felt let down by MW5. I'm such a huge Battletech fan that I even like MWO simply because it's Battletech. I own over 200 mechs for the tabletop game! I played thousands of hours on MegaMek servers. Getting to pilot dozens of those mechs in a game is absolutely my jam and I will put up with a lot of crap to do so.

What gets me in MW5 isn't the mind-numbing story, the clunky repair system, lack of customization, traveling among systems, or the bad AI. I can gladly live with those.

The part I can't get past is the respawning enemies. It just runs SO MANY facets of combat. It's like they couldn't find the right number of enemy mechs for a challenge X mission so they just have endless waves of mechs and vehicles. Every mission just becomes "run in, kill the objective, run to extract ASAP." At least pay me more for killing stuff. Nope, it's a net loss every hit you take if it's not completing the primary goal. Specialty mechs, lance composition, splitting up, flanking, using terrain, scouting - all fairly worthless because there's a surprise Griffin up your rear end who spawned right behind you. And it guarantees I'll never see an actual cool mission design, like "you have to take down a trio of badass King Crabs using only mediums. Formulate a plan and figure it out!" That actually sounds like a fun challenge. But that's too much work, so nah, go check these 5 empty locations again and get picked apart by lights and vehicles that are too annoying to fight but too damaging to ignore.

Just such a bad idea. I'm so pissed.

I've started running Difficulty 60 with a quartet of Locust (for non-MW players, those are speedy featherweight mechs) for demolition/raid missions. One, it's fun to gotta-go-fast, and two it's actually more challenging than 'point two L Las at a leg, fire, change leg, fire, next target"

E: a total loss of all hardware is a bill of 100k, rather than running real mechs with real weapons that each cost 100k to replace

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've never managed to get ahold of a DS or GBA Castlevania game so this is the closest I've ever gotten but gently caress me if the steps to get the good ending in Bloodstained isn't absurdly obtuse.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the voice mixing in disco elysium is all over the place. kim is about 1/5 the volume of some other characters. I'm constantly having to adjust the volume because of it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

the voice mixing in disco elysium is all over the place. kim is about 1/5 the volume of some other characters. I'm constantly having to adjust the volume because of it.

I didn’t even know Kim had voice acting until I read this post, since I usually play at a pretty low volume.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

I've never managed to get ahold of a DS or GBA Castlevania game so this is the closest I've ever gotten but gently caress me if the steps to get the good ending in Bloodstained isn't absurdly obtuse.

Agreed. The game is fantastic when its chugging along, but there are some really weird decisions that stop the game dead in its tracks. For me, it was needing a random drop to learn how to swim and finding the spike breaker armor up in a corner of the map I only found by exploring every single map square I could find.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Wow, I'm enjoying the Staunton Island missions in GTA 3 so far (I've never beaten the games so I'm going back to the first 3d one to see how far I can get, this is island 2), but Asuka's mission Paparazzi Purge is awful! This mission hurt my thumb because of having to hold the circle button so much to shoot, and missing so often due to the way the guns are placed on the police boat. It took too long to do damage or even catch up and my thumb is physically aching right now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

Play Circle of the Moon. It’s a really good game and I don’t remember anything insanely obtuse like Bloodstained had. It’s the first of the GBA Castlevanias but probably the best of em.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Play Circle of the Moon. It’s a really good game and I don’t remember anything insanely obtuse like Bloodstained had. It’s the first of the GBA Castlevanias but probably the best of em.

circle of the moon is overall good but has the absolute worst movement in any castlevania. aria is a thousand times better

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Also most of the items required for a key fun-having mechanic are random drops, and depending on your luck it can take a good few hours killing the same enemy over and over before getting one.

e: which actually is also a thing in Aria, but there's a lot less of them in Circle and not all enemies drop them

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Wow, I'm enjoying the Staunton Island missions in GTA 3 so far (I've never beaten the games so I'm going back to the first 3d one to see how far I can get, this is island 2), but Asuka's mission Paparazzi Purge is awful! This mission hurt my thumb because of having to hold the circle button so much to shoot, and missing so often due to the way the guns are placed on the police boat. It took too long to do damage or even catch up and my thumb is physically aching right now.

I swear, every time I do that mission it's storming.

The worst missions in 3d GTAs are the ones that only allow you to complete them one way. Dammit, let me use the open world! For example: capping Sal is a lot more fun if you block the entrance to his house and flamethrower his entire entourage than chasing them down while everyone and their Aunt Marie shoots at you.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Halo Reach has you fight alongside spartans sometimes but gives them the exact same AI as the regular marines so they're borderline worthless. Meanwhile especially on legendary a high ranking elite is a vastly more impressive than your super soldier allies

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

The Chad Jihad posted:

Halo Reach has you fight alongside spartans sometimes but gives them the exact same AI as the regular marines so they're borderline worthless. Meanwhile especially on legendary a high ranking elite is a vastly more impressive than your super soldier allies
Haha, yeah. Thankfully you really don't need to give a crap about whatever shenanigans they are up to. You want a bad time, play Halo 5. Your braindead squad mates are critical to staying alive thanks to the awful new revive mechanic coupled with cheap one hit KOs all over the place.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

madeintaipei posted:

I swear, every time I do that mission it's storming.

The worst missions in 3d GTAs are the ones that only allow you to complete them one way. Dammit, let me use the open world! For example: capping Sal is a lot more fun if you block the entrance to his house and flamethrower his entire entourage than chasing them down while everyone and their Aunt Marie shoots at you.

GTA 4 had quite a few chase missions where you couldn’t actually harm the other person until they reached a specific area and something scripted happened.

GTA 4 really had a ton of dumb decisions in it the more I think about it.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Whatev posted:

Haha, yeah. Thankfully you really don't need to give a crap about whatever shenanigans they are up to. You want a bad time, play Halo 5. Your braindead squad mates are critical to staying alive thanks to the awful new revive mechanic coupled with cheap one hit KOs all over the place.

Goddamn that sounds terrible, I can't imagine running a whole game like that. I was ignoring it in Reach the first playthrough but it was so weird doing the first level on legendary and seeing the bunch of buffoons lurching around getting the living poo poo shot out of them by the white armor dudes, who were super-accurate and mobile. So clearly Bungie could MAKE an ai that was fast and deadly but decided your team should be keystone cops? But why? Okay maybe since they're all invulnerable for plot reasons you don't want them to beat the level for the player, but, the player can still do that anyways with the dumbos it just takes forever? And if the mission is a cakewalk would that be so bad? And wouldn't you WANT the player to get a good impression of their squad on the formative first mission large cola large fries please

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Finished Rise of the Tomb Raider and it's a solid, enjoyable game. But it doesn't have any big moment like the ladder climbing, parachute drop or "run you bastards":byodame: that the reboot game had. It also doesn't have any little things like henchmen talking about how scared they are of Lara. It also relies a little too heavily on running while being shot at setpieces.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alhazred posted:

Finished Rise of the Tomb Raider and it's a solid, enjoyable game. But it doesn't have any big moment like the ladder climbing, parachute drop or "run you bastards":byodame: that the reboot game had. It also doesn't have any little things like henchmen talking about how scared they are of Lara. It also relies a little too heavily on running while being shot at setpieces.

Cory Barlog directed the cinematic setpieces for TR2013 and it really comes through in his eye for spectacle. By the time Rise was in development he was off making God of War 2018 and his absence was definitely felt there.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I felt Shadow of the Tomb Raider had a much stronger set of setpieces towards the end. Leading an invasion of ancient magic warriors as everything explodes ruled.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Cory Barlog directed the cinematic setpieces for TR2013 and it really comes through in his eye for spectacle. By the time Rise was in development he was off making God of War 2018 and his absence was definitely felt there.

To be fair, with a name like that how can you not work on God of War.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

The Chad Jihad posted:

Goddamn that sounds terrible, I can't imagine running a whole game like that. I was ignoring it in Reach the first playthrough but it was so weird doing the first level on legendary and seeing the bunch of buffoons lurching around getting the living poo poo shot out of them by the white armor dudes, who were super-accurate and mobile. So clearly Bungie could MAKE an ai that was fast and deadly but decided your team should be keystone cops? But why? Okay maybe since they're all invulnerable for plot reasons you don't want them to beat the level for the player, but, the player can still do that anyways with the dumbos it just takes forever? And if the mission is a cakewalk would that be so bad? And wouldn't you WANT the player to get a good impression of their squad on the formative first mission large cola large fries please

They're fairly competent on Normal/Heroic, which is what I assume most people are expected to play on. Legendary is supposed to be easier/harder based on player skill, so having the Spartan AI be really good would make it way too easy. As it is they're already immortal bullet magnets.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Something that might help with Diablo and its clones would be finding ways to make junk or repeat items become valuable. And not just as "break it down so I can reroll with a 1% to get something better." What if once you reached max level, every item you collect that's already in your stash can be used to give a small boost to that item.

For example, you have a level 60 rare mace in your stash. Each new mace you find of any rarity can be used to boost its base stats by a tiny amount. The better the found item, the bigger the boost. So even common/magic items become worth grabbing as, over time, they may make a previously useless item competitive with good legendaries, especially since the drop rate is higher

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Dark Cloud had that kind of system. You could turn a crap weapon into a core and put it into a better weapon to boost it's stats faster.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Dark Cloud had that kind of system. You could turn a crap weapon into a core and put it into a better weapon to boost it's stats faster.

Haven't played that game since it first released... didn't remember that. You would certainly be the person who knows, though.

But then, yes, more games should do that. Let everything level up. EVERYTHING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

On the other hand I'm playing TR2013 right now and I'm annoyed every time a cutscene starts up or a set-piece that forces me to play a specific way instead of going at things the way I want. Also I forgot how unnecessarily violent Lara's cutscene deaths/injuries were from when I watched an LP years ago.