Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Scooter_McCabe posted:

So I've never played the Witcher games, is it worth picking up Wild Hunt?

Yeah Witcher 3 owns and you don't need to play the others, but it's long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah Witcher 3 has a first act that is as long as the other two acts combined. It's so long that it is subdivided into three mini acts for each region in the game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I played Witcher 3 in television length spurts for sidequests (monster of the week style) and when I had more time I'd spend a couple of hours on a main quest.

It's great. Full of excellent adventures and interesting characters, some really well thought out moral choices and the world is rich with things to do. You need to break it into chunks though and not try to power through. It's really loving long but it's also as episodic as you care to make it. Also just leave it on normal difficulty if you're looking to play through. The gameplay isn't amazing but making potions and decoctions is fun RP fodder.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I have no reservations about saying that witcher 3 is the best game I've ever played.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Watching this show is what I feel like having dementia is like. It bounces around time with no rhyme or reason.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Watching this show is what I feel like having dementia is like. It bounces around time with no rhyme or reason.

Seems more Dr Manhattan like

Were episodes 5 and 6 done before 2/3 or something? I know the uterus stuff has been done to death so far but it seriously doesn’t make much sense as written.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The best line read is the insults between Geralt and Torque.

Did your mother gently caress a snowman!?

You're a dick... With balls!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Season 2 when

I just finished this and have never read the books or played the games, and enjoyed it very much. The timeline fuckery was easy enough to follow, names and locations were not. Two questions:

Do witchers and mages live longer than humans? 40+ years of time goes by and it doesn't seem like anyone ages. Then again, Geralt has the same horse that entire time...

What's the significance of Geralt's eyes/face turning black? Seemed to happen when he's fighting monsters sometimes but not all the time. Idgi

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sirotan posted:

Season 2 when

I just finished this and have never read the books or played the games, and enjoyed it very much. The timeline fuckery was easy enough to follow, names and locations were not. Two questions:

Do witchers and mages live longer than humans? 40+ years of time goes by and it doesn't seem like anyone ages. Then again, Geralt has the same horse that entire time...

What's the significance of Geralt's eyes/face turning black? Seemed to happen when he's fighting monsters sometimes but not all the time. Idgi

Witcher’s and Sorcerers/Enchanters have very long lives compared to humans.

Roach: Geralt just names every horse he has “Roach”. Makes it easier to remember the horse’s name.

re eyes and dark veiny poo poo. That’s a result of using various concoctions and potions. Think of them like PEDs for fighting monsters and the supernatural, except they’re extremely toxic and if you take too much or the wrong combination they’ll kill you dead. As it is anyone without a Witcher’s mutations will be straight up killed painfully if they take a Witcher potion.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Sirotan posted:

Season 2 when

Yes, mages and witchers live longer than humans. I believe that mages live longer than witchers too. In the books Geralt names all his horses Roach, so maybe it's just different horses that look exactly the same lol.

Witchers drink potions before fighting monsters, which improve their reflexes, vision and stuff, when he's under the effect of those potions he looks like that. Those potions are also highly poisonous and witchers can only drink them because of their mutations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I really think this needed a long sequence in episode three in which Geralt painstakingly prepared himself. It's not made clear enough how his power works and what it takes for him to win. I also think that episode needed to include him stopping his heart with a potion for the ambush

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've generally been enjoying this but don't forsee a lot of people who have no prior knowledge of the series sticking with this very long. I haven't seen anyone mention the real obvious whiffed knee while (episode 2)the elves were beating up Geralt and Dandilion? It's small and doesn't matter but I had to rewind to make sure it actually looked like how I thought it did hah.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ok giving the same name to a bunch of different horses is genuinely funny.

I figured the potions were connected but then the scene where he's in (ep 7) Cintra castle(?) trying to find the assassin's I thought I spotted his face getting all veiny without him drinking any kind of potions that I remember, so I wasn't quite sure.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Oof this show is dull. It was a slog to make it to the end of episode 2, and I really doubt we're gonna watch any more. Its a strange writing choice to have two hours of content and not set up what any characters are trying to accomplish.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well Witcher 1 has Geralt with amnesia for plot convenience, but Witcher 2 has his memory return and Witcher 3 he knows exactly what he's doing. Like I said there are a couple big spoilers that are treated as fact in the games, so keep that in mind since it will colour your opinion of certain characters

Witcher 2 is great but has really stiff and unforgiving combat so don't feel bad if you keep getting wrecked in the tutorial fight and have to turn the difficulty way down until you find some gear and figure out the timing. Witcher 1 has good story and worldbuilding hidden behind a TERRIBLE action RPG so don't play it unless you've played the other two and you want more, and just turn the difficulty down when you get sick of the combat which consists entirely of timed left-clicks, over and over and over and over.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Having only played Witcher 3 - and played it to death - this show loving ruled. Casting for Geralt, Ciri, Yennefer, and Dandelion is perfect. The show has some excellent production values, great fight choreography, and a couple instances of top tier practical effects. I really liked the non-linearity of the storytelling, and really I only have a few minor quibbles like the absolutely godawful Nilfgaardian armor. Episode 7 was the only dip in quality because it needlessly recaps a bunch of stuff we've already seen. The show absolutely nails Geralt's relationships with Yennefer and Dandelion. I really hope it gets a second season with the same or higher budget. I'll be curious to see how many people binge it this week.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 22, 2019

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Arcsquad12 posted:

It isnt a deal breaker but I have been spoiled on battle scenes in television shows by The Last Kingdom. Game of Thrones has maybe one or two good fight scenes where armies actually clash, but Last Kingdom is the only show I've watched where formation fighting is not only used but emphasized as the path to victory. The camera work for Calanthe's fight in episode 1 was great but it was still the flashy "everyone pairs off into duels" style of battle scene.

I'm also saddened that we didn't get to see the shitstompimg that King Foltest and King Henselt handed to Nilfgaard at Sodden.

Might be they're saving that enormous fight for the start of Season 2 (or maybe they'll just elide it completely and save everyone the budget)

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Game player, non book reader, really liked it despite some faults. Some of the game stuff spoils the fates of some of the characters, but I was still intrigued by the monster-sleuthing more than the politics stuff. Don't know how true to the books the Nilfgaard/Sorceress school/Cintra stuff is, but hopefully the changes aren't too disruptive to the story. Cavill completely nails Geralt's character, which was my biggest worry. Everyone else is cool. Triss needed more screentime for me to care about her, though. And brighter red hair, since she looks like a background character in certain lighting. Looking forward to next season.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They almost went too book accurate with Triss' hair imo. You can see the red tinge in bright lighting (like when she's outside in the final episode) but the show spends so much time in darker sets, it looks more black than the reddish brown/chestnut it is.

I don't really care that much tbh. All I care about is if the actress can pull her off properly, and she didn't have much to work with this season, and most of it was made up for the show (her involvement in the striga episode).

I might start rewatching this already!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Scooter_McCabe posted:

So I've never played the Witcher games, is it worth picking up Wild Hunt?

The GOTY edition is currently $15 on GOG. That's an absolute steal.
Take in mind that according to howlongtobeat.com it's a 133 hours game on average.

The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition is $3 on GOG and it's also worth playing. It's much shorter at 33 hours on average, but you could complete it in 4 if you know what you're doing iirc.

If you don't mind spoilers, this clip has some mild ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRsqAmuxjNk

I think it describes well why the games' plot and characters are so compelling.

I'm linking to GOG because CDPR get 100% of the profits from there.

JBP posted:

I really think this needed a long sequence in episode three in which Geralt painstakingly prepared himself. It's not made clear enough how his power works and what it takes for him to win. I also think that episode needed to include him stopping his heart with a potion for the ambush

That would've been a real good addition. I wonder why they didn't do anything like that. It would've taken a 5 minute scene at most.
That contract really deserved some prep work in addition to the investigative work.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Oof this show is dull. It was a slog to make it to the end of episode 2, and I really doubt we're gonna watch any more. Its a strange writing choice to have two hours of content and not set up what any characters are trying to accomplish.

Geralt is a pest exterminator. He travels the land doing his job and hoping people will pay him for it.
Yennefer is trying to fill the gaping hole at her core that was created by her awful upbringing.
Ciri is trying to survive and look for Geralt because that's what her grandma told her to do. She's 12.

itry fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 22, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Witcher is about people trying to live their lives and find purpose in a chaotic world when external forces like the fate of nations or the whims of Destiny put them in danger. Yennefer spends the whole season searching for a reason to live and coming up short, Geralt thinks he knows what he wants with his life as a Witcher but cannot escape destiny no matter how he tries, and Ciri is just trying to survive and awaken to how the world works outside of her sheltered childhood.

They're all searching for meaning and belonging and the world they inhabit does not make it easy for them. This season's overarching theme seems to be about finding a purpose in life, and the short stories are a great way to establish the world in broad strokes so that the later seasons and books can examine how Geralt Yen and Ciri navigate that world when it is torn apart.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Adnor posted:

Yes, mages and witchers live longer than humans. I believe that mages live longer than witchers too. In the books Geralt names all his horses Roach, so maybe it's just different horses that look exactly the same lol.

Afaik noone knows how long witchers can live, as no witcher has died of old age.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Vesimir is pushing 300.

Also despite several of Geralt's stories taking place years apart and Jaskier looking the same, it's mentioned in the books that he was lucky enough to always look youthful. Or, as Geralt put it: "You're on the wrong side of 30, you look like you're 20, and you act like you're 10."

Jaskier/Dandelion is over forty by the time the main books start, but he's always gonna look like a mid twenties hound dog.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

bouncing around in time during the first season of the show while you're trying to establish the characters and the world was a huge mistake. it seems like an interesting show and i like henry caville as geralt but lol what a complete mess.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Just finished the season. I really enjoyed it, but I feel like it suffered from some pacing issues, particularly with regard to Geralt and Yen's relationship. The episode where they meet was perfect, but then the very next episode they skip straight ahead to "these two have been encountering each other for years (presumably, at least) and have a tortured kind of romance going on" when all we've seen prior is one quick sex scene. Worse, they don't behave at all like people who have known each other for any extended period: they behave like two people who slept together once and are surprised to run into each other again so soon. There's no more familiarity between them at the start of that episode than there is at the end of the previous one. And they really dropped the ball on the wish thing: if I hadn't played the games and knew precisely what Geralt's wish was and what it meant, I would have been very confused by Yen's anger. Without the "lives bound together" element being made explicit it comes across as her being so mad that he wished to save her life that she leaves him forever, not long after they basically declared their love for each other.

I didn't have too hard of a time keeping track of the shifting chronology (though I would sometimes get a ways into a scene before figuring out its place in the timeline), but it was definitely more of a burden than a benefit. I do think it might have been smarter for them to hold off on introducing Ciri until next season. Spend the first season building the world, establishing Geralt and Yen and their relationship, let it breathe so the passage of time isn't so jarring and feels more organic. Hell, do the banquet episode as is, and let it serve as foreshadowing. You can even start the second season the same way this one started, and it would work just as well.

That was a lot more words than I intended to write.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That is the actual chronology for Geralt and Yen's story in the books as well. They become a thing together in The Last Wish and then the next time the reader sees them together it's during The Bounds of Reason when they're hunting the dragon. That's accurate to the book, but unfortunately the show doesn't adapt A Shard of Ice, which is a story set shortly after The Bounds of Reason and shows just how volatile their relationship gets whenever they try to settle down with one another.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
There's some expository dialog in the show to indicate Jaskier has aged, which is nice. Some are explicit like Yen mentioning his crow's feet or Jaskier saying he hasn't seen Geralt in months or years. A subtle one I liked was Geralt sleeping with a prostitute who had heard lots of ballads about him, which naturally would take a while for Jaskier to compose, perform, and popularize.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Arcsquad12 posted:

That is the actual chronology for Geralt and Yen's story in the books as well. They become a thing together in The Last Wish and then the next time the reader sees them together it's during The Bounds of Reason when they're hunting the dragon. That's accurate to the book, but unfortunately the show doesn't adapt A Shard of Ice, which is a story set shortly after The Bounds of Reason and shows just how volatile their relationship gets whenever they try to settle down with one another.

It's such a goddamn shame they didn't adapt A Shard of Ice.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Witcher show is cool and good.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Even though the show leans more into the books than the games, check out these trailers for The Witcher 3 if you haven't. gently caress, even if you have already, watch them again, because they are AWESOME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehjJ614QfeM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0i88t0Kacs

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 22, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The only appropriate response:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC8ya-KqB7Q

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Up to Ep 4 in this thing and I bust a gut laughing at the beginning. I haven't seen that shamed look since The Man They Call Jayne. Tone of the whole thing is spot-on.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

A Night to Remember, beyond being very impressive cinematically, is also great at showcasing game mechanics such as bombs (Moon Dust), signs (Quen/Aard), potions (Black Blood). It's a really good trailer.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
this show owns and honestly, the flaws just adds to the charm. this is a franchise where too much polish hinders more than helps

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Marin Karin posted:

this is a franchise where too much polish hinders more than helps

Heh.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

dang.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Intentional or not, that's absolutely hilarious.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
episode 3 is basically all i want in a witcher show

geralt needs money

so he investigates a monster

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Yeah, episode 3 might be the best episode of the season. It nails that Witcher feel, had great practical effects and editing, and all the Yennefer stuff is really strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For me it's a toss up between episodes 3, 4 and 5, with 6 coming in an honorable mention. That middle block of episodes are so drat good even if the Ciri story drags.

I know that they probably won't adapt the games, but I would love if Gaunter O'Dimm was referenced in some way. He is the creepiest motherfucker in the entire franchise, books and games. Some people are monsters, and then there's O'Dimm, who is Evil loving Incarnate.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 22, 2019