Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

if anyone wants to read entirely too much harry potter critique destiny unfulfilled has always been a favorite of mine

https://florida.theorangegrove.org/og/file/1c8115fc-50d1-7dd6-0a2a-6446e33c7437/1/destiny.pdf

not political of course since it way predates 11/9 but it makes a strong case for harry being a ridiculously passive and borderline incompetent protagonist who almost never exhibits agency and frequently has to be bullied into moving the story forward by other characters

the most egregious example of this being him founding wizard antifa in book five under heavy pressure from his friends only to disband it in book six because the oppressive headmaster who banned sportsball is gone and they can play sportsball again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

And in the end he becomes a wizard cop.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
the only good thing jk rowling has ever said about harry potter is that any given wizard will lose to a man with a gun

edit: you know what,

Eox has issued a correction as of 12:20 on Dec 22, 2019

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

CATS is the ballsiest movie ever. it’s every bit the erotic nightmare you’ve heard. it rules. Its like at the end of Akira where Tetsuo becomes a new universe but a musical. It’s witnessing the creation of a new plane of being. It’s seeing an entirely alien form of cinema that seems fully formed and you cannot comprehend that form.

It shouldn’t exist. This should not be possible to imagine, let alone produce with the backing of a major studio, but here it is.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the musical out of space

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I thought reviewers and posters being driven mad by CATS was a bit but no. It’s some crack ping poo poo that pushes every button to weird out your brain on fundamental levels, never stops doing it, and completely rejects almost every idea you have about cinema to the point your don’t even know what you’re feeling.

it’s awesome.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

idris elba juggling his perfectly smooth CGI cat's rear end as the room explodes around him and the entire world is telling me "this is horniness, become eroticized" but I cannot because I realize that this is the missing piece, the understanding I couldn't grasp after I ate all that peyote, my consciousness is the lock and his dumper is the key

every twitch and twerk of his feline cheeks sets another tumbler into place, my third eye opens, my crown chakra unfurls and then, I realize the truth...

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

imagine being a person who watches movies for a living and feeling uncomfortable that this one makes you feel different things than usual

originally i thought the whole idea of cats sounded dumb as all hell but the negative reviews legit intrigued me because do you have any idea how hard it is to get these people to write something that sounds more interesting than a book report

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

nothing has ever looked more nakedly naked than smooth, shimmering dickless Cat Idris Elba. it’s horrifying.

I liked this review.

https://letterboxd.com/steenton/film/cats-2019/

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Wemus posted:

how is it that so many people love these books and yet completely miss things like this

my man

Because that whole subplot was boring and my teenage brain skipped it

Also I was sixteen and I don't remember a lot of it beyond broad strokes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Because that whole subplot was boring and my teenage brain skipped it

Also I was sixteen and I don't remember a lot of it beyond broad strokes

This is p much 90% of the fanbase yeah, nobody remembers poo poo except what was funny and who might be loving who

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i remember someone making a post how the Sorting Hat is a phrenologist and ive never been able to stop thinking about it

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

i remember someone making a post how the Sorting Hat is a phrenologist and ive never been able to stop thinking about it

It got in your head.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/eedrk/status/1208637585662197760?s=20

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/thetomzone/status/1208581222991040512?s=20

everyone who's already seen CATS did not even get the definitive CATS experience

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

arent the second and third movies sequels by definition

gotta admit that an american pie reference takes me back though its the movie series i never watched even though nobody could shut up about it back when i was younger id guess its influence on american culture has been pretty heavily underrated

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

arent the second and third movies sequels by definition

gotta admit that an american pie reference takes me back though its the movie series i never watched even though nobody could shut up about it back when i was younger id guess its influence on american culture has been pretty heavily underrated

Its influential in the sense that the main character will never be remembered as anything other then the dude who hosed a pie once

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

was extremely disappointed to learn that this post was not referring to cats

look like thats not the only franchise that inspires people into lovecraftian levels of insanity

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

this is the first conversation ive seen about american pie in like 10 years outside of the wtweets of australian cricket legend shane warne

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i meant influential more in the sense of how it became a blueprint for grossout comedies

but on second thought uh grossout comedies are kind of dead now so never mind

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

Its influential in the sense that the main character will never be remembered as anything other then the dude who hosed a pie once

the Stiffler clan carries more cultural clout than the protagonist of American Pie

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
iirc that movie literally coined MILF

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

this is what happens when people afforded the option to construct identities from their own agency

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

gen xers grew up. grossout comedies about teens were consumed by grossout comedies abotu adults going to weddings and poo poo. and then after that they decided to mature by watching movies where 45 year olds do improv at eachother about smoking weed

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the Stiffler clan carries more cultural clout than the protagonist of American Pie

I sincerely remember nothing about the film's other then dude loving a pie. I don't even remember what stiffler looks like (or any of the other interchangeable bland white protags, like seriously if that dude didn't gently caress a pie I would not remember his face at all)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mother I'd Like to Feel

I sincerely remember nothing about the film's other then dude loving a pie. I don't even remember what stiffler looks like (or any of the other interchangeable bland white protags, like seriously if that dude didn't gently caress a pie I would not remember his face at all)

That just means you carry the Platonic ideal of the Ur Stifler in your heart. An abstracted image of perfection from which all other inferior Stiflers are derived.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Didn't one of the MILF guys end up being Sulu?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Oh good, so you don't remember the scene where a guy grabbed a random solo cup and accidentally drank cum. How can I get that memory out of my head?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

duz posted:

Oh good, so you don't remember the scene where a guy grabbed a random solo cup and accidentally drank cum. How can I get that memory out of my head?

This post makes it seem like drinking cum is bad, and I cannot abide such a wrong opinion

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

I vaguely remember a joke about band camp, but that's about it. The 90s were a strange time.

Pancakes posted:

Didn't one of the MILF guys end up being Sulu?

Yeah, John Cho of Harold and Kumar fame.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

This post makes it seem like drinking cum is bad, and I cannot abide such a wrong opinion

mixed with beer and drank accidentally?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Forceholy posted:

I vaguely remember a joke about band camp, but that's about it. The 90s were a strange time.

This was the common phrase to dismiss the nerdy band girl as fuckable by our adolescent protagonists, but once she reveals that once she pleasured herself with her flute while there, everyteen Jason Biggs realizes that, yes, nerdy girls can do a sex too.

Thus, heterosexuality is reaffirmed, and the two eventually get married if I remember correctly. Ultimately, the American Pie series, rather than being transgressive, is solidly an adaptation of the Victorian desire to codify sexualities and ensure hierarchy.

(Additionally, keep in mind this was the type of movie every incel grew up on, and when their nerdy girl never materialized, they went fash.)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
now I want to see a paper that draws a straight line from the american pie franchise to the rise of modern American fascism

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
If you expanded that notion slightly to include the entire subgenre of teen sex comedies/dramas - Grease, Porky's, Breakfast Club, Fast Times at Richmond High, She's All That, 10 Things I Hate About You, American Pie - as part of the formative cultural zeitgest from which a lot of incel tropes emerge. In his manifesto Eliot Rodgers actually talks specifically about how upsetting he found teen movies in which the protagonist gets a hot girl at the end and how this influenced his growing sense of resentment.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

the real weird part about harry potter when it comes to racism is that even though we all know voldemort is racist a huge part of his coalition is made up of intelligent magical creatures who are pretty much completely fed up with the bullshit espoused by the ruling wizard leaders to the point that voldemort represents a significant improvement just because hes honest about it and is offering them material benefits for their support instead of platitudes

in my favorite subplot that pretty much noone remembers hagrid and the german half giant headmistress head off to to try and talk the giants into backing the current ruling wizards instead of voldemort and give the chieftain some kind of trinket as a token of their friendship then when they come back the next day the chieftain is dead and replaced by a guy who hates them

hagrid blames the whole experience on unseen voldemort conspirators behind the scenes and it simply does not occur to anyone that the internal politics of the giants were a wee bit more complicated than good versus evil and they might have had good historical reasons to want to murder a leader who has been discovered taking bribes from wizards

oh my god it's Russiagate

it's wizard goddamn Russiagate

duz
Jul 11, 2005

i read the harry potter books for the first time this year and they sure sanitized a lot of stuff for the movies, wizards are really not good people and harry is a huge rear end in a top hat

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

duz posted:

mixed with beer and drank accidentally?

Dont knock it til u try it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Helsing posted:

If you expanded that notion slightly to include the entire subgenre of teen sex comedies/dramas - Grease, Porky's, Breakfast Club, Fast Times at Richmond High, She's All That, 10 Things I Hate About You, American Pie - as part of the formative cultural zeitgest from which a lot of incel tropes emerge. In his manifesto Eliot Rodgers actually talks specifically about how upsetting he found teen movies in which the protagonist gets a hot girl at the end and how this influenced his growing sense of resentment.

10 Things is literally just taming of the shrew but Julia stiles cries at the end and it always breaks my heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Breakfast Club is also one of the big Chicago-filmed John Hughes movies that all have no Black main characters. I think the only major non-white character in any of those is a racist Asian stereotype. They were all filmed in some very rich suburbs too.