Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Domino probably should kamikaze so she can get a new non mutilated body while they’re at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Domino probably should kamikaze so she can get a new non mutilated body while they’re at it.

She tried, in that we see her fail to get through the gate before it closes. Presumably her powers intervened to make her just a bit too slow to get killed like Logan and Quire. Though arguably Wolverine might be able to survive getting cut in half. :shrug:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

jng2058 posted:

She tried, in that we see her fail to get through the gate before it closes. Presumably her powers intervened to make her just a bit too slow to get killed like Logan and Quire. Though arguably Wolverine might be able to survive getting cut in half. :shrug:

The X-Men breaking their own rules and producing a squadron of Logan and Laura clones in a time of absolute desperation could be a really cool story beat in the right hands. The Logans would probably be like "let's do this poo poo; this ain't the weirdest situation we've been in" but given her entire history I think the Lauras would be real hosed up over it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Weapons X

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Multiple Proteus might be needed against Franklin

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Alaois posted:

I feel like I've said this a few times but it legitimately feels to me like that's the direction Percy is taking X-Force in. Like, this page seems explicitly framed as comedic.

I'm so glad I dropped this loving book, Jesus Christ.

I knew the resurrection thing was going to be a problem, but I didn't think it'd be this much this fast.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's par for the course.

Have you never read an X-Force before?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
My son and I are watching X-Men movies and his questions keep segueing into whats in the comics. I gave a brief overview of HoX/PoX about mutant immorality and he says “if xavier is part of it, its gonna mess up real quick.”

This kid knows whats up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

omnibobb posted:

My son and I are watching X-Men movies and his questions keep segueing into whats in the comics. I gave a brief overview of HoX/PoX about mutant immorality and he says “if xavier is part of it, its gonna mess up real quick.”

This kid knows whats up.

Get him to read the Claremont books, 80 percent of the movies are taken from those, also you'll get to have the sex talk early and it will be a lot weirder.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Diet Poison posted:

The X-Men breaking their own rules and producing a squadron of Logan and Laura clones in a time of absolute desperation could be a really cool story beat in the right hands. The Logans would probably be like "let's do this poo poo; this ain't the weirdest situation we've been in" but given her entire history I think the Lauras would be real hosed up over it.

It'd be an interesting twist if they already were doing that and Fallen Angels Laura is actually a clone while the real Laura is somewhere else, doing her own thing.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

How is everyone digging the various new ongoings? I haven't jumped in yet, I actually just got the trade Dissolution and Rebirth, the Uncanny issues from 1989-1990. Though I read most of them digitally, man that is a nice looking book.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

How is everyone digging the various new ongoings? I haven't jumped in yet, I actually just got the trade Dissolution and Rebirth, the Uncanny issues from 1989-1990. Though I read most of them digitally, man that is a nice looking book.

just gathering from the reactions on here, haven't looked anywhere else:

everyone likes Marauders
a lot of people bounced off Excalibur either due to the premise or its pacing
everyone loved Hickman's issues of New Mutants, Ed Brisson's issues have gotten a more lukewarm reception
X-Force is divisive, I really like it so far, others think it's more of the same that we were getting from before the Hickman relaunch
Fallen Angels is trash, nobody likes it

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cool, good to know. I'll end up checking most of them out I think, especially cool to see stuff like New Mutants getting followed up on with that retro presentation. I'm just getting into that series for the first time myself, since I've expanded the scope of my vintage X-reading beyond the main book.

I'm curious how the Psylocke/Betsy stuff will settle down the line, especially if neither of their books happen to be catching on. Also one bit of scrutiny I had was seeing Vulcan as this chill badboy who's on the team in the covers etc. I can dig reformed villains, but that's a character who just seems better off dead (like that classic John Cusack movie).

Still, even if they don't all stick, it's great to see this enthusiasm for the X-line again.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
Vulcan (and the soft confirmation of Scott, Logan, Jean, and potentially Emma being poly) was the best part of X-Men #1.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

LifeGetsWorser posted:

Vulcan (and the soft confirmation of Scott, Logan, Jean, and potentially Emma being poly) was the best part of X-Men #1.

I'll be damned. If I have to guess, is Vulcan like the Vegeta of the book? A google tells me his villain cheese is played for laughs maybe, okay I'll keep an open mind.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I finally started reading comics again. Hickman's X-Men and goddamn I love this. He's right up my alley as a writer/creative mind and maybe my favorite writer.

Grant Morrison is great, probably his better, but Hickman's world building along with a narrative story aligns exactly with my poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
X-Men is good, but seems to be mostly setting up poo poo that Hickman will deal with in a year or two, that will probably be awesome, but I understand people's impatience.

Mauraders is the best book.

New Mutants is good. the two part Hickman was great, Brisson's first issue was okay, his second issue was much better.

Excalibur and X-Force had not great first issues , but both got better with each issue. X-Force is the comedy book with a high body count that means nothing someone predicted would happen with the way immortality works.

It's been over a week so I'm not going to spoiler this, Wolverine asks Forge to make him some cool new unrevealed to us poo poo for him with the vat of adamantium Forge just revealed, then get's iced a couple pages later? All of Forge's day planner? This is not the serious book the first issue kinda pretended to be.

Skwirl posted:

Fallen Angels is basically "The Character Assasination of Laura Kinney by the coward Bryan Hill."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Excalibur's in this impossibly weird place where, like, it's being sold as the book about mutants and magic and somehow Britain as well, but zero percent of the mutants in that book are the magical ones, the ones who are there just aren't doing much, and we've got one (1) Brit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BrianWilly posted:

Excalibur's in this impossibly weird place where, like, it's being sold as the book about mutants and magic and somehow Britain as well, but zero percent of the mutants in that book are the magical ones, the ones who are there just aren't doing much, and we've got one (1) Brit.

We've got Wisdom running around now, so we've increased the quotient by 100%.

That said I'd like to know what the pitch was. 'Betsy becomes Captain Britain' is a fine hook but then it's a bunch of kinda random mutants and they sort of deal with the magical part of Britain? It's fine, and really feels like it's supposed to be read in big chunks but I don't blame people for dropping out.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I mean, Original Flavor Excalibur had one Brit, one British Roma, one Jewish girl from Chicago, one time-displaced Phoenix host of uncertain nationality but I think it was generally assumed to be some flavor of Future American, and one German carny. It's not as though it was ever really "the British team for British mutants." It was always "the X-book that happened to be set in the UK."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I mean, Original Flavor Excalibur had one Brit, one British Roma, one Jewish girl from Chicago, one time-displaced Phoenix host of uncertain nationality but I think it was generally assumed to be some flavor of Future American, and one German carny. It's not as though it was ever really "the British team for British mutants." It was always "the X-book that happened to be set in the UK."

Gambit and Jubilee are absolutely who I'd choose to replace Nightcrawler and KittyKate Pryde in something. The creators of the 90's cartoon agree with me.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

BrianWilly posted:

I think the whole thing wih Krakoa becoming its own nation-state might add a wrinkle to that.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm extremely happy with the art in House of X and Powers of X. I'm glad they got a great artist, inker and colorist for it because it makes the whole story that much better. The work reminds me of a mix of Stuart Immonen and Ivan Reis/Alan Davis.

Grant Morrison had it right with the X-Men but this is a great spiritual follow up and expands on everything with some amazing thinking. Even small moments like Syrin using her voice powers to feed into Dazzler to generate fireworks when the nation celebrates, the re-imagining of the Phalnax and all the world building, etc. Showing us how it was all built to set the groundwork. It's all great.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 27, 2019

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

There should be a London X-Men series called "Charing X"

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

We didn't vote for Brexit just for some filthy foreign muties to come over here and take the jobs of hard working British mutants.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

I'm willing to buy Apocalypse as an expert on pretty much any topic at his age, and am still pretty taken with the weirdness of him as a protag on a team book, so I've been enjoying Excalibur so far if only based on this slice of his bizarre life and ideology.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

frameset posted:

We didn't vote for Brexit just for some filthy foreign muties to come over here and take the jobs of hard working British mutants.

I wonder if Earth-616's Brexiteers ever made the argument that the UK's financial stability would be assured post-Brexit because they can just have that Alchemy kid turn more things into gold...

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I wonder if Earth-616's Brexiteers ever made the argument that the UK's financial stability would be assured post-Brexit because they can just have that Alchemy kid turn more things into gold...

Scandal erupts when Prince Andrew and Xavier are spotted emerging from a Krakoan gateway on Epstein's island.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Little St. James was another evil Krakoa spore all along

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
breXit-Men.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Marauders:

Oh lawd, X-Cutioner coming!

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Marauders continues to be good.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I loving love Storm.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Business Apocalypse

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Both books this week were great. As much fun as business Apocalypse is though, a part of me is nonetheless disappointed that the mutant envoy was so sausagey. Emma couldn't fit it on her schedule? She's part of the reason the recognized-nation thing even happened, after all.

Though it does look like she's kinda busy, uh, super flirting with Kate over on Marauders.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Marauders was fun but putting Erik and Apocalypse on your envoy to dunk of people sure is great. And when asked about escalation just casually mention they killed you last week. All I need is for more Wakanda “yeah it’s cute what you’re doing” because that envoy ruled. Oh yeah and Scott kicking rear end during all of this was loving awesome. Especially the little bit of help Erik threw his way.

I loving love the dynamics Krakoa is placing on them. My ongoing dream is to see it further spread on other books. I’m not sure how many other ensemble books are out there that have mutants in them (Runaways? Avengers?) but seeing the mutants be emboldened by immortality and the full support of Krakoa should be cool to explore.

The dynamics and responsibilities of the council seem well structure so I understand why Emma wouldn’t be present in all meetings.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/79SemiFinalist/status/1212567716214607874?s=19

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
it's cute that though Wakanda won't out-and-out align themselves with Krakoa they know who their queen is. and this better not be the last of Business Apocalypse!

I was also disappointed that there weren't any jokes about Shinobi and Kate having very similar powers (or his name!!)

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

X-men #4

Just who was the one who had the swat teams on standby? I found that part silly for many reasons. I would assume at least the Wakandan ambassador would have his own security and notice some goons hanging around. Also kinda silly that someone that high up somehow assumed that mind shields would be the only thing needed to take the group down but I guess he expected only Xavier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don’t think Wakanda is worried about Krakoa.