Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Post itt if you are schizophrenic and know there is a conspiracy but you dont know what the conspiracy is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Sorry I guess I'm just ignorant about how the real world works. I should spend some more time on Youtube educating myself.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pontificating rear end posted:

Post itt if you are schizophrenic and know there is a conspiracy but you dont know what the conspiracy is

wait hold up

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

UFOs are real but it doesn’t necessarily mean that they are extraterrestrial just the flying object was unidentifiable

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Sorry I guess I'm just ignorant about how the real world works. I should spend some more time on Youtube educating myself.

There are actually a whole lot of really good educational channels on youtube that are meticulously researched and presented such as real life lore, vsauce, astrum etc.. you shouldn't categorically dismiss it because it's youtube and idiots can use it as well. Most mainstream media outlets are garbage trash too, including even now the history channel that runs those insane alien conspiracy shows as if they are "historical"

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Truly, the coolest experience if you can achieve sleep is the waking before your body is ready. Where does the demons lie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npeYMJIbY8o

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

gently caress it, quick effortpost because I love this poo poo and I haven't seen any of this info in the thread so far. The FLIR module all of these are filmed through is a big cigar-shaped thingy with a 'head' that articulates in coordination with separately moving internal gimbal-mounted optics:

This independent motion allows the optics to keep the horizon consistent while allowing for the full range of movement. It also means that there are functionally two separate lenses for the optics, one of which is a big rotating plastic polarized window a foot in front of the actual lens. If you've ever seen any type of light glare through a moving lens, or if you have Photoshop 4.2 and [papyrus]GrApHiC DeSiGn Is YoUr PaSsIoN[/papyrus], you'll be familiar with lens flare. It's that spiky gleaming artifact that seems to rotate independent of the object producing light (since it's the lens, not the object, that produces the effect). Here's what was probably a kid's lemonade stand as seen through a FLIR pod with a forelens that's rotating:

Due to inside baseball stuff about how FLIR/ATFLIR works, objects with high IR output disproportionate to their size can also have a 'bloom' from certain observable angles which bears no resemblance to the size or shape of the object:

I can't possibly do the full explanation any justice but here are some crazily thorough debunkings/explanations of the Gimbal video and the Flir1 video from non-idiots who explain mathy poo poo way better than I can. I highly recommend glancing through them if only to enjoy the rare experience of watching normal people grind a conspiracy into an extremely fine powder without being loving loons about it.

TL;DR: The videos are the result of how ATFLIR tech tracks distant objects and produces simple visual glare/bloom artifacts, and how background clouds 50 miles away can make an optical illusion of greatly increased speed when you're tracking something in the foreground 15 miles away. The UFO videos are entirely pedestrian but cool-looking, they're years old, and some news outlets are using them to farm some clicks because this is the week SPACE FORCE was born.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Chrs posted:

UFOs are real but it doesn’t necessarily mean that they are extraterrestrial just the flying object was unidentifiable

How many more poindexters need to point this out?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Those aren't aliens they are biblical angels you stupids. The reason they fly away quickly is to not accidentally destroy you by revealing their divine nature :angel:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I use a FLIR camera for work. It's $100,000, the lenses are $20,000 a shot, and they are made out of germanium. We have ours tuned to the absorption of light hydrocarbons. So you can use it to see clouds of methane. It's pretty baller.

Check out a similar camera used on the Alisio Canyon gas storage blowout in Southern California

https://youtu.be/Rnbcsm0VzQM

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Relayer posted:

There are actually a whole lot of really good educational channels on youtube that are meticulously researched and presented such as real life lore, vsauce, astrum etc.. you shouldn't categorically dismiss it because it's youtube and idiots can use it as well. Most mainstream media outlets are garbage trash too, including even now the history channel that runs those insane alien conspiracy shows as if they are "historical"

Oh really Vsauce huh? The channel whose main presenter is a proven holocaust denier? Please tell me more about how YouTube is a reliable source.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Oh really Vsauce huh? The channel whose main presenter is a proven holocaust denier? Please tell me more about how YouTube is a reliable source.

Got a source for this? I tried to Google it but the only results that didn't look like they'd give me digital aids were from Reddit or 4chan.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Goodpancakes posted:

I use a FLIR camera for work. It's $100,000, the lenses are $20,000 a shot, and they are made out of germanium. We have ours tuned to the absorption of light hydrocarbons. So you can use it to see clouds of methane. It's pretty baller.

Check out a similar camera used on the Alisio Canyon gas storage blowout in Southern California

https://youtu.be/Rnbcsm0VzQM

FLIR tech is just so, so cool. It's like being a loving cyborg/predator/elf or something.

E: Who's this VSauce guy that people are getting all defensive/offensive about? Let me just click on the first link here and

Oh, everything about that sucks in the first second for sheer convenience, which is nice

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 22, 2019

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Mooey Cow posted:

lol if you think the US military have these super advanced new physics types of propulsion, without doing nothing with it except confuse people for decades.

lol if you think any military does.

They commissioned a report on how they might possibly work and the best they came up with was "uh maybe plasma and general relativity stuff i dunno :shrug: "

The military just barely funds even mundane stuff like the Polywell reactor, because they have bombs to build and people to kill. They don't have time to invent new physics.
The US military has been strapping swords onto their missiles recently so yah.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
anything can be a UFO if you’re poo poo enough at identifying things

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Sorry to disappoint you but we have not been visited by aliens. If a species becomes self-aware enough to form a civilization and technologically advanced enough to create weapons, that species will kill itself. The universe is likely full to brim of dead or dying civilizations. The universe is likely filled with life that will never meet each other so we might as well admit we're effectively alone, our lives are ultimately pointless, and we will snuff out just like all the others that came before and it doesn't matter.

That's a hell of a conclusion from a sample size of one

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Mooey Cow posted:

lol if you think the US military have these super advanced new physics types of propulsion, without doing nothing with it except confuse people for decades.

lol if you think any military does.

They commissioned a report on how they might possibly work and the best they came up with was "uh maybe plasma and general relativity stuff i dunno :shrug: "

The military just barely funds even mundane stuff like the Polywell reactor, because they have bombs to build and people to kill. They don't have time to invent new physics.

My money's on Richard Branson. He's been doing stuff with spaceships for years.

This is really cool.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 22, 2019

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

FLIR tech is just so, so cool. It's like being a loving cyborg/predator/elf or something.

E: Who's this VSauce guy that people are getting all defensive/offensive about? Let me just click on the first link here and

Oh, everything about that sucks in the first second for sheer convenience, which is nice

He's a guy that explores weird physics questions on youtube. I can understand why that angers people but I've never seen anything blatantly offensive from him which is why I asked for clarification.

e: I'm not trying to "challenge" anyone here or whatever someone might think, I'll stop watching him if he's a milkshake duck but lol if you think I'm just going to take someone's word for it.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 22, 2019

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Nastyman posted:

He's a guy that explores weird physics questions on youtube. I can understand why that angers people

lol why should that anger anyone I just don't understand. I mean yeah he has an annoying overbearing personality but who doesnt

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nastyman posted:

He's a guy that explores weird physics questions on youtube. I can understand why that angers people but I've never seen anything blatantly offensive from him which is why I asked for clarification.

e: I'm not trying to "challenge" anyone here or whatever someone might think, I'll stop watching him if he's a milkshake duck but lol if you think I'm just going to take someone's word for it.

He's offensive to the senses to both look at and listen to.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

How many people itt tried to storm area 51 to free the aliens.

ghostal
Jul 13, 2008
Internet sceptics are hilariously hyper focused on denying the possibility of extraterrestrials, going out of their way to project their own feelings onto supposed civilisations whixh would likely be millenia older than humans, if they survived their own 2019 hellscape era. You don't know what's going on bro, it's cool to admit that.

My take on what's really going on is that poo poo has been popping up for a long rear end time, governments have been interested in it but have not much more of a clue than you or I. This is probably scary as hell, or damaging to the military man ego, so they can't publicise this openly.

Henry Zebrowski's take on whatever is going on is probably my favourite - the universe or some higher entity purposefully giving random observers only a unprovable glimpse, a cosmic poke, just to inspire curiosity .

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

gently caress it, quick effortpost because I love this poo poo and I haven't seen any of this info in the thread so far. The FLIR module all of these are filmed through is a big cigar-shaped thingy with a 'head' that articulates in coordination with separately moving internal gimbal-mounted optics:

This independent motion allows the optics to keep the horizon consistent while allowing for the full range of movement. It also means that there are functionally two separate lenses for the optics, one of which is a big rotating plastic polarized window a foot in front of the actual lens. If you've ever seen any type of light glare through a moving lens, or if you have Photoshop 4.2 and [papyrus]GrApHiC DeSiGn Is YoUr PaSsIoN[/papyrus], you'll be familiar with lens flare. It's that spiky gleaming artifact that seems to rotate independent of the object producing light (since it's the lens, not the object, that produces the effect). Here's what was probably a kid's lemonade stand as seen through a FLIR pod with a forelens that's rotating:

Due to inside baseball stuff about how FLIR/ATFLIR works, objects with high IR output disproportionate to their size can also have a 'bloom' from certain observable angles which bears no resemblance to the size or shape of the object:

I can't possibly do the full explanation any justice but here are some crazily thorough debunkings/explanations of the Gimbal video and the Flir1 video from non-idiots who explain mathy poo poo way better than I can. I highly recommend glancing through them if only to enjoy the rare experience of watching normal people grind a conspiracy into an extremely fine powder without being loving loons about it.

TL;DR: The videos are the result of how ATFLIR tech tracks distant objects and produces simple visual glare/bloom artifacts, and how background clouds 50 miles away can make an optical illusion of greatly increased speed when you're tracking something in the foreground 15 miles away. The UFO videos are entirely pedestrian but cool-looking, they're years old, and some news outlets are using them to farm some clicks because this is the week SPACE FORCE was born.

This is really cool information, thanks. Learning to be skeptical when I was growing up didn't really make finding out about all this weird poo poo any less interesting.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Actually I'm going to describe the Bob Lazar interview for the lazy goons

He worked at Area 51 during its heyday and saw 6 or so spaceships in one area, with 3 on either side, in hangers. They were distinctly different; Bob said the only whispers of where it came from were 'an archealogical dig' or the Zeta Reticuli system, but said they might spread disinformation this way. He went inside one, where it was mostly one-color, only smooth edges, and smaller than human size (cramped) with no wires. The only spaces were in the cockpit and a small area under the cockpit where THE REACTOR came from; he had to hang upside-down to look inside.

His assigned project was to work on THE REACTOR which was simply a sphere that would emit energy to power the spacecraft (I don't think they could turn it on). They were to try to figure out how it works without opening it because of the hard material, or because he believed they had tried to cut one open and there was a horrible explosion. He took his friends to see the spaceships flying at night because he knew when they would do it, and the military found out and fired him and that's about it.

Near the end of the podcast he does address how the government had his degrees wiped and even his birth certificate was removed from whatever database it exists, or something like that.

He said doesn't like attention (a scientist after all) and sometimes wishes he never came out with the info in the late 80's. He donates any money he makes from the UFO stuff to science programs.

Bob Lazar also said there was a super secret security hand scanner there that he later revealed as an "Identimat2000" which is funny because it was literally in Close Encounters of Third Kind as a prop like, a decade before his "big reveal"

What I'm trying to say is bob Lazar is an idiot lol. There's a lot of super secret poo poo at Groom Lake, but it's not aliens or flying saucers

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Who What Now posted:

He's offensive to the senses to both look at and listen to.

ok boomer

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

ghostal posted:

Internet sceptics are hilariously hyper focused on denying the possibility of extraterrestrials, going out of their way to project their own feelings onto supposed civilisations whixh would likely be millenia older than humans, if they survived their own 2019 hellscape era. You don't know what's going on bro, it's cool to admit that.

The old adage about extraordinary claims requiring extraordinary proof holds true, but a problem lies in that what counts as extraordinary proof is subjective. Those that already believe (or want to believe) extraordinary claims have subconscious motive to lower the bar a bit on the burden of proof. It's not just limited to UFO theories; it's an extremely human way to process stuff, and we all do it with one thing or another. Skeptics gonna skeptic but it's that way with everything; it's all in good fun (especially with ultimately unprovable things). UFOs are just way cooler to argue about on both sides than God or gun control or politics.

Tighclops posted:

This is really cool information, thanks. Learning to be skeptical when I was growing up didn't really make finding out about all this weird poo poo any less interesting.

I can't find it on my phone but imagine the emote of the dude knodding and pointing at a correct thing. 100% agreed

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

just something I noticed though, the image on the left is the FLIR video in it's proper aspect ratio, showing a strange oval shaped object (jet aircraft exhaust nozzles are not oval shaped) and the video on the right is an Su-27 in a FLIR video in an improper stretched aspect ratio to make it look like the image on the left. FLIR vids from F/A-18 are not in a wide screen aspect ratio and that's kind of an important thing to get right when you're literally describing the shape objects

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
This seems to be the correct thread to drop a verbatim quote from Mrs. d8:

"I believe in science and evolution both. I think a million years ago some aliens came down to earth and hosed a bunch of monkeys."

To be honest, I can't find any flaw in that logic.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

These debunkings are only plausible if we ignore the corroborating context of eyewitnesses and radar.

4 navy pilots saw the tictac object directly and a fifth one who took the flir footage disputes that the apparent movement of the object is due to his own jet.

Gimbal can't be camera rotated exhaust. The object is colder than the surrounding air and radar operators claim that they tracked it out at it's position all day, remaining largely stationary in high winds and interacting with a v formation of other unidentified objects.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
It’s probably already said in the thread but I thought they said it was a UFO in the sense that it was sensitive government tech unknown to the public or foreign governments and not aliens

Though aliens do exist

ghostal
Jul 13, 2008

Do it ironically posted:

It’s probably already said in the thread but I thought they said it was a UFO in the sense that it was sensitive government tech unknown to the public or foreign governments and not aliens

Though aliens do exist

Nope, it was released purely as a "wtf is this?"

I'm curious, if this was a government owned device / disinformation campaign, what is the intention of releasing this footage? Decades of complete denial / stone-walling and then these out of the blue. What's the angle?

Here is some associated context / disinformation Nimitz encounter

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Something being identified as a ufo means it's alien in origin, without a doubt. Don't like it? Take it up with scientists

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Julius CSAR posted:

just something I noticed though, the image on the left is the FLIR video in it's proper aspect ratio, showing a strange oval shaped object (jet aircraft exhaust nozzles are not oval shaped) and the video on the right is an Su-27 in a FLIR video in an improper stretched aspect ratio to make it look like the image on the left. FLIR vids from F/A-18 are not in a wide screen aspect ratio and that's kind of an important thing to get right when you're literally describing the shape objects

Oh, totally, that .gif was just to use a comparison to show how flare 'spikes' consistently move with rotation of the external lens of an ATFLIR pod; your mileage may vary. To get specific, that glimpse in the loop was taken when the Super Hornet's FLIR pod was rotating its external lens-- In the clunky-rear end map image below, the postracking of the Hornet is red, and the UFO is yellow. The rotation happens at the center/halfway point where the gimbal and external lens would have to flip and re-lock to maintain horizon.

You'll notice the slight shift/delay in re-locking when it happens here, which is consistent with flare/bloom artifacts and tracking latency

Ratios and Tendency posted:

These debunkings are only plausible if we ignore the corroborating context of eyewitnesses and radar.

4 navy pilots saw the tictac object directly and a fifth one who took the flir footage disputes that the apparent movement of the object is due to his own jet.

Those four pilots saw it through the same device that tracked the original. All input was provided by the same ATFLIR pods that the original recording captured, and provided the same visual output because there is no way they could be tracked visually by a human from 15 miles away. They saw what the FLIR pod showed them, not what their eyes did. Geese. Slices of Velveeta. Russian prostitutes' souls ascending to heaven. Mylar balloons. Helium-filled toddlers. Whatever.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

\
Gimbal can't be camera rotated exhaust. The object is colder than the surrounding air and radar operators claim that they tracked it out at it's position all day, remaining largely stationary in high winds and interacting with a v formation of other unidentified objects.

Okay. I'm not, like, the union rep of skeptics. Where did those other objects in formation go?

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Okay. I'm not, like, the union rep of skeptics. Where did those other objects in formation go?

Forward, maybe backward, maybe laterally

IN TIME

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

gently caress

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

ghostal posted:

Nope, it was released purely as a "wtf is this?"

I'm curious, if this was a government owned device / disinformation campaign, what is the intention of releasing this footage? Decades of complete denial / stone-walling and then these out of the blue. What's the angle?

Here is some associated context / disinformation Nimitz encounter

No idea but deep state poo poo coming out is immensely intriguing, when there's poo poo like mk ultra, the nsa, I can see why some people get sucked into these conspiracy theory rabbit holes. add a bit of mental illness in there and it's a perfect recipe

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Those four pilots saw it through the same device that tracked the original. All input was provided by the same ATFLIR pods that the original recording captured, and provided the same visual output because there is no way they could be tracked visually by a human from 15 miles away. They saw what the FLIR pod showed them, not what their eyes did. Geese. Slices of Velveeta. Russian prostitutes' souls ascending to heaven. Mylar balloons. Helium-filled toddlers. Whatever.

I don't know where you got this impression but 4 pilots in 2 jets went out to check the radar readings and saw the tictac zipping around directly with their eyes. The flir footage comes from a second sortie sent out after Fravor told them to try and get video of what he'd just seen. Look up David Fravor.

quote:

The video cuts off and the navy never releases radar poo poo so we don't know.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

The cigar ufo's(read: alien ship) shape makes more sense once you realize they're a fixed point in third dimension space/ a transitory point in fourth dimension time, the same way a dot in the first dimension forms a line in the second dimension

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kazak posted:

The cigar ufo's(read: alien ship) shape makes more sense once you realize they're a fixed point in third dimension space/ a transitory point in fourth dimension time, the same way a dot in the first dimension forms a line in the second dimension

You can still have dots in the second dimension. Checkmate, alienailures.