Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
All I want is a rock troll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Arcsquad12 posted:

For me it's a toss up between episodes 3, 4 and 5, with 6 coming in an honorable mention. That middle block of episodes are so drat good even if the Ciri story drags.

I know that they probably won't adapt the games, but I would love if Gaunter O'Dimm was referenced in some way. He is the creepiest motherfucker in the entire franchise, books and games. Some people are monsters, and then there's O'Dimm, who is Evil loving Incarnate.

:yeah:

Definitely a big toss up between 3, 5 and 6 for me. The middle really is packed with quality. I loved the finale, too. If only for that glorious moment at the end with Yen. But I enjoyed most of the Sodden Hill stuff tbh. Some cool magic poo poo going down. They did my boy Vilgefortz hella wrong tho smh

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can they magic him up a new actor? Because that geezer reminds me of a car salesman

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. also everyone is poo poo. nilfgaard are bad and awful but they have actual laws and infrastructure and such. the north is basicaly just a bunch of kingdoms that fight every 4 years and trade places being on top, they are also all racist and backwards as gently caress.

Something that's underdiscussed in the fandom, I think, is the exact *way* that Nilfgaard is bad. It's not just that they conquer and kill. They operate their empire like the Romans did: After conquest, vast populations are shipped off as slaves to Nilfgaard, and Nilfgaardian colonists are imported. The remaining locals hate and fear the local colonists, who in turn fear the locals, and the Pax Nilfgaardica only sets in after any semblance of local identity has been ground out of existence. Exploring this is the whole story with the Rats bandit gang later in the books, who are able to operate freely in their slice of Nilfgaard because all the conquered peoples hate the conquerors and give any kind of aid they can to those who slit their throats.

It always bugged me that people always gloss over that when talking about how superior Nilfgaard is to the Northern Kingdoms. Yeah, the Northern kings are more brutish and warlike, but at least they don't practice chattel slavery on a continental scale.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

Can they magic him up a new actor? Because that geezer reminds me of a car salesman

I like the actor fine. That scene with Cahir though lmao

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Show is fun. Not going to be the epic that some may have thought was coming, but a cool show nonetheless. Kind of feels like a nice replacement for Spartacus.

The biggest problem is how fast they go through stories. Something big will happen and it immediately cuts to something else big happening elsewhere. Slow the gently caress down and let it breathe. Not sure if it is budget related, but this felt like a 10-12 episode season crammed into 8.

I do feel like people who aren't familiar with the books or video games will have trouble getting into it. There is zero world building and practically no effort put into background stories on the characters. They sort of expect you to understand stuff going in.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

MeatwadIsGod posted:

All I want is a rock troll

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Witchy Mans stringy like. Good not for troll stewses.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Niwrad posted:

There is zero world building and practically no effort put into background stories on the characters.

The first half of Yen's story is just giving her a more detailed background than the books even do tho

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

TheBalor posted:

Something that's underdiscussed in the fandom, I think, is the exact *way* that Nilfgaard is bad. It's not just that they conquer and kill. They operate their empire like the Romans did: After conquest, vast populations are shipped off as slaves to Nilfgaard, and Nilfgaardian colonists are imported. The remaining locals hate and fear the local colonists, who in turn fear the locals, and the Pax Nilfgaardica only sets in after any semblance of local identity has been ground out of existence. Exploring this is the whole story with the Rats bandit gang later in the books, who are able to operate freely in their slice of Nilfgaard because all the conquered peoples hate the conquerors and give any kind of aid they can to those who slit their throats.

It always bugged me that people always gloss over that when talking about how superior Nilfgaard is to the Northern Kingdoms. Yeah, the Northern kings are more brutish and warlike, but at least they don't practice chattel slavery on a continental scale.

Season of Storms shows that the north engages in this too. After the Nilfgaardians have moved into the northern territories, the northern kings hire mercs to move the border bit by bit (literally, with signposts), and carted in peasants and levied taxes on the inhabitants. Everyone sucks!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kaedric posted:

Season of Storms shows that the north engages in this too. After the Nilfgaardians have moved into the northern territories, the northern kings hire mercs to move the border bit by bit (literally, with signposts), and carted in peasants and levied taxes on the inhabitants. Everyone sucks!

drat it, failed post, twitter doesn't spoiler tag

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqbS7O9qIXE

:banjo:

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I just finished watching this season. Beautiful show, well acted, interesting adventures, but my God terrible storytelling. It's disjointed (it comes together a little bit at the end) and doesn't explain anything.

I mean I'll probably watch season 2 and hope they pull thier act together. They could put together something great.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I have been watching the "all Witcher 3 trailers" video on Youtube just now and it's baffling how much high end story content is in that game.

Blood Baron
All the stuff on Skellige (BEARS! Put the Baby in the oven!
Towerful of Mice
The three Crones
The Godling
Junior
Carnal Sins

Oh and then there is the main story with the Wild Hunt and Ciri.
I almost forgot, lol.

And that is BEFORE the two expansions with their own heap of excellent moments.

Sorry for nerding out. Back to the show.

Yeah, to the goon pondering it, get that poo poo.
What I would give to experience that all over anew...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://twitter.com/alexhosgh/status/1208253486737055744

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Book report: even though Ep 3 of the show was the best episode, the book version (it's the first story of the first book) is even better. I wish they would've adapted it exactly as the book is instead of making it where Geralt figured out everything.

Book version is he's told everything, who the father was, what the monster is, what it takes to change her back to normal and that doing that is the only way he'll be paid. Also other witchers did show up but when they were told the job was to save instead of kill they all left (except one, who tried and died). Book version makes Geralt seem more badass, that's what they should've gone with in the show imo

They missed the best one. The "what the gently caress?" at seeing all the smoke going up to Yen's orgy.

Tehran 1979 fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 22, 2019

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Did the show run out of budget for the dragon episode? That one considerably sucked.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Niwrad posted:

There is zero world building and practically no effort put into background stories on the characters.

I kinda wish there was even less. There is less world-building in the books, and you're just kinda left to wonder. It works a lot better in the books because each story is episodic and self-contained, and not cross-cut to hell and back with B plots that happens decades in the past/future. You can follow the plot of the first episode's short story without understanding anything about the setting because in the book it's just that story, nothing with Cintra or Yennifer.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
This isn't world building per se but I just got to the part in the book where we find out witcher code is to never accept payment up front. In the striga episode the opening is that witcher demanding to get paid up front. As somebody who didn't know anything about the world when watching it I just thought "haha yeah I would too", instead of "holy poo poo this must be an insane challenge because he's betraying his guild's laws".

Both book and TV question Why did he bite the striga in the neck? I remember it happening in the show and wondering why, now it's a question in the book that isn't answered (at least in that chapter)

vvv That too is what I thought we were going to be getting from Ep 3, would've preferred that too.

Tehran 1979 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 22, 2019

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Someone already mentioned it but I think it would've been cool to see them do a monster of the week type thing. Episode 3 got my hopes up that it would he exactly that but it sounds like it doesn't quite get there. I just want to see Geralt riding around killing monsters for money and not the crazy timeline mess they gave us.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

show needs more gwent

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I've never read the books and only dabbled with the games. And I loved the show. I really enjoyed that the didn't hit me over the head with anything and just assumed that I'd pay attention.

I have to admit that I didn't figure out the timeline fuckery until the third or fourth episode. But again, I appreciate a show that expect me to figure poo poo out.

I agree that the Ciri plotline was spinning it's wheels for a while, but it really drove home how powerless she was in a world that absolutely does not give a gently caress about anyone, esp children on their own.

As for world building, when the "good guys" are one nation lead by booldthirsty warrior queen and another by a sister fucker keeping his kid/monster locked in a tower while the "bad guys" apparently cares about the plight of the downtrodden, it's kinda blunt that everything is hosed and sometimes you gotta catch a djinn to get a good night's sleep.

I'm a fan

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Its unrelated in particular to discussion, but I read the books and Sapkowski is not bad with humor. In one of the books when Geralt and company is particularly miserable due to having to camp in the wilderness under cold rain hiding from war, book lists Dandelion's diaries where he pretty vitriolically plain mocks Geralt for his constant brooding and inability to cope in another way.

Also another book starts with a sort of prologue when unrelated to story travellers meet at waystation to rest on the way to their various destinations and a fight almost breaks out when a knight states that Geralt of Rivia is the finest swordsman in the North and it is simply a fact of life and everybody who disagrees is an idiot and some dude disagreed.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

HatJudge posted:

As for world building, when the "good guys" are one nation lead by booldthirsty warrior queen and another by a sister fucker keeping his kid/monster locked in a tower while the "bad guys" apparently cares about the plight of the downtrodden, it's kinda blunt that everything is hosed and sometimes you gotta catch a djinn to get a good night's sleep.

i do like that, as part of their commitment to not overloading information and keeping things mostly grounded in what our characters think, we really don't know much about Nilfgaard by the end of this season

they've got some dark magic crazy people working for them (but is their human sacrifice really much worse than the human sacrifice the "good" nations are doing?), they seem like zealots, they were a backwater nowhere until recently, and they may be better for the common people (but only according to one wizard who may well be a liar). this seems about right for a world right after sodden hill, no one really knows what the gently caress their deal is and it's hard to say if they're really any worse than the shitheads in the north yet

they never even explain what The White Flame is in this season, right?

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
I miss the way the game franchise was willing to use actor accents as worldbuilding. Like the harsh Dutch accents of the Nilfgaardians. Of the unashamedly American accent that Geralt and the other witchers had which had made the series stand out in a genre of uniformly British theater accents.

LinYutang fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 22, 2019

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Did I miss the motivation for Villgefartz's heel turn or is it some book poo poo I'm not yet privy too?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

LinYutang posted:

I miss the way the game franchise was willing to use actor accents as worldbuilding. Like the harsh Dutch accents of the Nilfgaardians. The unashamedly American accent that Geralt had also made the series stand out in a world of uniformly British theater accents.

There were a few moments where he totally nailed game geralt's gravelly voice, which I guess should be no surprise because he's apparently a big nerd who loved the Witcher 3

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/henry-cavill-interview-2019

quote:

“My first involved experience [with the franchise] was The Witcher 3,” he tells me, explaining how he’s now played developer CD Projekt Red’s 100-hour role-playing epic two-and-a-half times to completion, experimenting with different difficulty settings, first on regular difficulty and then on the game’s toughest setting, in order to find the perfect balance of fun and challenge.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax

eke out posted:

i do like that, as part of their commitment to not overloading information and keeping things mostly grounded in what our characters think, we really don't know much about Nilfgaard by the end of this season

they've got some dark magic crazy people working for them (but is their human sacrifice really much worse than the human sacrifice the "good" nations are doing?), they seem like zealots, they were a backwater nowhere until recently, and they may be better for the common people (but only according to one wizard who may well be a liar). this seems about right for a world right after sodden hill, no one really knows what the gently caress their deal is and it's hard to say if they're really any worse than the shitheads in the north yet

they never even explain what The White Flame is in this season, right?

Nope. No idea what the White Flame is at this point. The biggest evil of Nilfgaard is the way they were indiscriminately slaughtering everybody in Cintra including children, but Cintra was slaughtering everybody who wasn't human, so it's a big bag of who cares for me.

I'm hoping reading the books will make me start to like more characters than just Geralt / Jaskier, but even if so they need to make show watchers only next season feel the same. The closest other character would have to be Yen but I don't know I must be weird because when characters start trying to enslave things while shouting about how they want unlimited powaaaaaaa I just nope the gently caress out of them as a character. That never ends well.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Did I miss the motivation for Villgefartz's heel turn or is it some book poo poo I'm not yet privy too?

Vilgefortz's final action is indeed foreshadowing the character's future.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Just finished the episode with the hedgehog and had to stop watching for the night. I enjoyed the first few episodes but the lack of clarity on the story piled on with lame dialog and terrible special effects (lens flare forest and the tornado in the ballroom) killed it for me. I'll pick it up again later and give it another episode or two.

Overall the show has potential but it could have used some polish and better pacing. It's frustrating to see a lot of the criticism with the way that time skips brushed off as people simply being too dumb to follow the plot.

I have had that Valley of Plenty song stuck in my head for two days now though. Very catchy.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Debating whether to watch this with my wife, who has an aversion to graphic torture and rape scenes, it’s why she couldn’t watch game of thrones. Some violence is ok as long as its not too intimate and nasty. LotR style stuff is fine. How much of that is in this series? I’ve never played the games or read the books.

May be a bit late now, but there is a a scene where a character gets stabbed slowly (there is a similar scene in Saving Private Ryan, although the one in the Witcher is not as bad). Plenty of fantasy butchery, but no real torture and no shown rape of any kind.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Anyone who dislikes Foltest's casting is bad and should feel bad.

https://youtu.be/draOmLkDcnw

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I am only watching the first episode but have to say, I'm quite pleased so far. Cavill is acting as best as his little heart can take, the only complaint I have is when you try so hard its difficult to act weary indifference which I feel is appropriate for the character sometimes. The moment when an arrow goes through this dude's head is amazing, her gasp is just right for when you see a loved one suddenly die in front of you.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Obviously spoilers but Vilgefortz has been playing his own long game since waaaaaay before Sodden Hill and he just does his part for the other mages to keep up appearances.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I just hope politics is depicted well, annexation of Cintra was something that brought the north into coalition, who would otherwise wight one another as usual.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

mcbexx posted:

Even though the show leans more into the books than the games, check out these trailers for The Witcher 3 if you haven't. gently caress, even if you have already, watch them again, because they are AWESOME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehjJ614QfeM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0i88t0Kacs

Intro cinematic for witcher 2 owns as well. I really like Letho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ_KtvVvolY

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm watching the last episode right now and I have two questions.

why did the Nilfgaardians sacrifice mages to launch fireballs with a trebuchet, why not just throw flaming pitch or something that isn't costing you a magic user every time?

Also why are the mages okay with one of their own becoming so fanatical and joining the Nilfgaard in their conquest, I thought they were supposed to be a neutral faction trying to maintain order over chaos?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Intro cinematic for witcher 2 owns as well. I really like Letho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ_KtvVvolY

it's wild this cinematic they made in 2010 or whatever when they were still practically an unknown studio still holds up so well

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm watching the last episode right now and I have two questions.

why did the Nilfgaardians sacrifice mages to launch fireballs with a trebuchet, why not just throw flaming pitch or something that isn't costing you a magic user every time?

Also why are the mages okay with one of their own becoming so fanatical and joining the Nilfgaard in their conquest, I thought they were supposed to be a neutral faction trying to maintain order over chaos?

Probably because they are dicks and its indicated in the show that they force conscript mages into service. Nilfgaard is a big ol empire, lots of people to draw from I guess.

Fringilla lied to them at the big meeting, saying that Nilfgaard only wanted to attack Cintra (in order to grab Ciri). Remember that Fringilla's uncle is that other dude in that meeting, and they don't want to believe that Fringilla has turned. Also, Cintra doesn't use mages from the Brotherhood as advisors, they use druids like Mousesack instead that are mostly from Skellige (I think), so the Brotherhood is butthurt about that.

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I forget about the conscription, honestly. That makes more sense but still seems wasteful! And thank you for clarifying the second point.