Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Apropos of the latest ep of the Baby Yoda show FFG needs to errata devaornians to have some kind of fire resisitance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Yvonmukluk posted:

It sounds like a great idea!

I seem to recall there was a Legends story (I think a comic?) where this idea was explored where they try to kill Grievous.

I don't remember one with Grievous specifically, but there was definitely a comic where a group of Padawan orphans make an Alamo-style last stand against a combined army of droids and pissed-off natives. Definitely one of the better CW comics but I think it came out before Grievous was even a thing.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

There's talk amongst our group of starting back up EotE after a few years off. I don't have the books handy, but would I be able to make an Exiled Guardian multiclass at character creation? Or would I have to add a second class later? Would this even be a wise choice at character creation?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So letting my Padawan game percolate some, I've decided to initially stick them somewhere out of the way (they watched their masters die, so that's worth some trauma recovery) like on a world that had a Jedi Temple in the past and they find the first piece of the treasure map I've got in mind. The second world they'll hang out for a while I'm thinking will be like a DMZ planet where the Republics and Seps can intermingle and there's shenanigans, like cold war-era Berlin. (Haven't figured out just where this might be yet. I can always make my own planet of course, but I am kinda lazy. Maybe one of the Ord planets.)

Has anybody toyed around with making attribute increases easier to come by? I've been looking at the two main Republic sourcebooks and seeing the canon folks in there and how a PC isn't going to measure up and that's always felt a little unfair when I see it in a game.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Commissar Canuck posted:

There's talk amongst our group of starting back up EotE after a few years off. I don't have the books handy, but would I be able to make an Exiled Guardian multiclass at character creation? Or would I have to add a second class later? Would this even be a wise choice at character creation?
RAW no, you need to buy a 2nd class later, doing it with starting XP is a bad idea as buying up attrbutes is much more important. You could always ask your GM for an extra 15XP on top of starting XP to spend on classes/talents though.

Dawgstar posted:

Has anybody toyed around with making attribute increases easier to come by? I've been looking at the two main Republic sourcebooks and seeing the canon folks in there and how a PC isn't going to measure up and that's always felt a little unfair when I see it in a game.
1000% do not do this. Those NPCs are intended to be threats to entire parties, once player characters get attributes of 5-6 it gets incredibly difficult to challenge them. If say the combat char has Brawn 6 Agility 5, then any NPC that can possibly threaten them will be able to oneshot anyone else in the party whilst taking no damage from their attacks.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Apropos of the latest ep of the Baby Yoda show FFG needs to errata devaornians to have some kind of fire resisitance.

I don't know if that's what it was, or if Clancy Brown was just tanking it because he was a bad mother fucker

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Marauders have 2 ranks of Enduring in their tree each giving +1 Soak; its trivial to be able to ignore the Burn trait on a Light Flame Projector, 5 wound damage each round until it goes out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Talkie Toaster posted:

1000% do not do this. Those NPCs are intended to be threats to entire parties, once player characters get attributes of 5-6 it gets incredibly difficult to challenge them. If say the combat char has Brawn 6 Agility 5, then any NPC that can possibly threaten them will be able to oneshot anyone else in the party whilst taking no damage from their attacks.

Appreciate it. As a first-time FFG GM, that would absolutely be one of the ways I would break the game trying to be helpful to players.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

For normal PCs I would take how the vidya Jedi: Fallen Order treats your encounter with Darth Vader as instructive to how you should use those kind of NPCs.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Dawgstar posted:

Appreciate it. As a first-time FFG GM, that would absolutely be one of the ways I would break the game trying to be helpful to players.
It’s not necessarily that hard to boost attributes too -there’s cybernetic limbs that can add to Brawn or Agility.

Other things to be careful of include autofire and heavy blaster rifles- don’t let people use the Jury-Rigged talent to reduce the Advantage cost of triggering the Auto-Fire quality, otherwise they can spend 1A as many times as they want to score an extra hit dealing full damage. With the heavy blaster rifle, the highest base damage unrestricted weapon, this is Super Overpowered (as my group’s Bounty Hunter who regularly did 3-4 14-16 damage hits with a career high of 60 post-soak damage will attest).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Disruptors. Just no. They're broken as poo poo and attend fun to fight against as a PC and having them as a PC is super broken because enemy armor becomes meaningless.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fuzz posted:

Disruptors. Just no. They're broken as poo poo and attend fun to fight against as a PC and having them as a PC is super broken because enemy armor becomes meaningless.

That's when you have the thing combust the first time the PC rolls a despair when shooting it

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Another thing to watch out for, at least in my group's experience, is the Sense power.

It's relatively cheap for what it does, which is either read the minds of up to four people simultaneously at long range or give you two free upgrades to the first two attacks made against you every round, plus a single upgrade to your own attack every round, for the low cost of being FR 2 and committing your Force dice. If you give a Guardian an inch, expect them to take the lightyear.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Ablative posted:

Another thing to watch out for, at least in my group's experience, is the Sense power.

It's relatively cheap for what it does, which is either read the minds of up to four people simultaneously at long range or give you two free upgrades to the first two attacks made against you every round, plus a single upgrade to your own attack every round, for the low cost of being FR 2 and committing your Force dice. If you give a Guardian an inch, expect them to take the lightyear.

I recently ran a post order 66 knight level game and one of my players did just this. I didn't think Sense was too powerful, but it was really strong.

Luckily they played as a tank drawing all aggro so they still were at risk, but there were several fights where they rolled well and came out unscathed against a bunch of enemies.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
If you want to be a fighty force user then yes, sense is a must take.

Lightsabres can also be nasty as gently caress as breach makes nearly everyones soak usless. Not as bad as autofire can be but holy hell the output can be nasty.

Also be careful of a min-maxed crit build. Getting a weapon down to a crit rating of 1 along with a few talents can mean every shot/hit is rolling +50 on the crit table. Nothing can make you feel bad like your big bad taking one damage and then being killed by the crit.

All in all the system is good as long as your players are cooperating but it can be abused without much thinking needed.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Giving Nemesis level opponents some of their own plot talents like Crit -30 defense can also help vs cheese builds. I work them into the narrative as part of their character that can be overcome, for example, say they have a special shielding device but prior to the encounter the PCs got the plans for it and figured out a way to hack it and neutralize some of its effect.

It's slightly lame video game logic, but it still works to raise the stakes without making it seem like an arbitrary DM Tax that penalizes specific builds solely because you want to make it more challenging. (... even though for the most part that's totally what it is if they don't bother addressing it)

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Honestly as a player, I'd be fine with that. Let me buzzsaw through fodder by hitting them and critting them to death immediately. But if that happened to the big bad I'd 1) feel bad and 2) be pretty unsatisfied. Special encounters should feel like a special battle unless it's something like a heist or assassination where the real challenge is getting to the thing/person and then escaping again.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
A nemesis with Imperial Valour can use minions as human shields.

masam
May 27, 2010
Whats the fastest way to get a decent force rating for a single roll? Im trying for some battle meditation shenanigans, to turn the tode of a big battle we know were gonna have towards the end of the campaign now that things have been revealed.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Rise of Skywalker Spoiler

How much XP do I need to put into Unleash to cause an entire fleet of ships to stall?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

Rise of Skywalker Spoiler

How much XP do I need to put into Unleash to cause an entire fleet of ships to stall?
more than you will ever have I bet

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So what's this I hear about starfighter combat not being super good? Is it a case of not everybody having something to do on-board the ship or just how the rules treat vehicles?

Related, does anybody have a fun notion for a freighter that can hold 4-6 Padawans?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dawgstar posted:

So what's this I hear about starfighter combat not being super good? Is it a case of not everybody having something to do on-board the ship or just how the rules treat vehicles?

Related, does anybody have a fun notion for a freighter that can hold 4-6 Padawans?

How about the YT-1250? In Legends, the Trade Federation owned a bunch of them, so they could...acquire one.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

I think the trick with Starfighter combat is that there is very little the ilot can do to make themselves harder to hit, which makes actions like Gain the Advantage inferior to just shooting every round. Which oddly enough makes Gunnery more important than piloting for your pilot. There just aren't that many talents that work like Dodge or other defensive talents that are usable in space combat. The rules actually do a decent job of providing tasks for the rest of the party to do if you're on a freighter, but flying snubfighters just isn't all that because of the vehicle combat rules.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Servetus posted:

I think the trick with Starfighter combat is that there is very little the ilot can do to make themselves harder to hit, which makes actions like Gain the Advantage inferior to just shooting every round. Which oddly enough makes Gunnery more important than piloting for your pilot. There just aren't that many talents that work like Dodge or other defensive talents that are usable in space combat. The rules actually do a decent job of providing tasks for the rest of the party to do if you're on a freighter, but flying snubfighters just isn't all that because of the vehicle combat rules.

There's a house rule called "Snap Roll" that helps with this. It got turned into the "Barrel Roll" talent for the Clone Pilot in Rise of the Separatists.

http://fragmentsfromtherim.blogspot.com/2015/02/suspending-rules-snap-roll-action.html

EDIT: Wrong book.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 21, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Looking at Genesys that has:
-GtA gives you upgrades on attack and defense instead of ignoring EM
-Moving is free and mandatory
-High speed makes you harder to hit but also harder to pilot
-Brace for Impact maneuver that converts up to Silhouette damage into system strain
-Attack difficulty by range not silhouette (though idk if this works as well in this setting)

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

There's a house rule called "Snap Roll" that helps with this. It got turned into the "Barrel Roll" talent for the Clone Pilot in Collapse of the Republic.

http://fragmentsfromtherim.blogspot.com/2015/02/suspending-rules-snap-roll-action.html

Are you sure that Specialization is in Collapse of the Republic? There's ARC trooper, Clone Commander, and Clone Veteran there; but no Clone Pilot. Is Clone Pilot in another book maybe?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Servetus posted:

Are you sure that Specialization is in Collapse of the Republic? There's ARC trooper, Clone Commander, and Clone Veteran there; but no Clone Pilot. Is Clone Pilot in another book maybe?

It's in Rise of the Separatists, under Clone Soldier.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Whoops, yeah, wrong Clone Wars era book. Sorry.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Dawgstar posted:

An x-wing has 10 HT and 3 armour. A TIE has medium lasers with 6 base damage, linked 1. An attack which gets 3 successes, 2 advantage will one-shot an x-wing from full health. When most attacks are just against difficulty 2, 1 setback, this is not hard to roll.

Unlike in personal scale combat, you can’t pick someone back up after a fight and pump them full of stims so they can contribute in the next encounter either. That’s it, you’re limping back to base if you can pass a difficulty 4 mechanics check, otherwise you need to find someone with a spare back seat to give you a lift.

PC ships *really* need more survivability.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

How about the YT-1250? In Legends, the Trade Federation owned a bunch of them, so they could...acquire one.

That's a good pick. I kind of wanted the HWK-290 but it's a tad small. (It would definitely be on my shopping list if I ever get to play.)

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

That's a good pick. I kind of wanted the HWK-290 but it's a tad small. (It would definitely be on my shopping list if I ever get to play.)

There's the HWK-1000 from Fly Casual, pretty much made to let a bigger party fly the Moldy Crow.

http://swrpg.viluppo.net/transportation/starships/1831/

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
As an added bonus the 290 is available in the x-wing game so you can even have an appropriate mini

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ran my kids through a truncated version of the EotE beginner module. Highlight was definitely an inspired use of the droid's meager deception pool by my 9-year-old.

"I tell the docking control officer I need her to release the clamps on the ship in docking bay? What was it... Auresh?"
"That's right. She says "And why should I do that?'"
"'I'm docking control droid 374. The ship has to leave in precisely 4.5 minutes.'"
"'But you look like a medical droid?'"
"'There's a very bad sickness on the ship, it needs to be quarantined.'"
"'I didn't get any Imperial Commerce Commision notification of quarantine-- but I don't want any sickness spreading here under my watch. What about the firefight we heard outside?'"
"'One of your security droids malfunctioned.'"

I gave her two advantage dice on the deceit roll because you gotta reward ad-libbing with the lie that well.

"Okay, I better shut the other one down remotely and do a full diagnostic."

E: Epilogue
https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1209148587277459457

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 23, 2019

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

You done good.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

That's incredible!

So I've run some L5R games and really like the whole "use a void point to take a critical instead of losing "hit points"" thing they have going on there. Is there any reason I couldn't port the same thing over to Star Wars/Genesys for the cost of flipping a Destiny Point? I'm not incredibly familiar with a lot of the higher ranked abilities so maybe there's something later down the trees that wouldn't mesh well with that.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bought into Armada during the sale last week, how are the campaigns. My GF would not want to pvp but if there was some manner of co-op she'd be down for that but I'm not really sure how it works, does the cpu fight using a ai deck kinda like KDM or something?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

socialsecurity posted:

Bought into Armada during the sale last week, how are the campaigns. My GF would not want to pvp but if there was some manner of co-op she'd be down for that but I'm not really sure how it works, does the cpu fight using a ai deck kinda like KDM or something?

You seem to be confusing three different FFG Star Wars games. This is the thread for tabletop roleplaying, Armada is a fleet combat game that's pretty much just 1v1 army miniatures, Imperial Assault is the campaign-based one- and while it's supposed to be 1 vs many, there is an app that can make it coop IIRC

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Also be careful of a min-maxed crit build. Getting a weapon down to a crit rating of 1 along with a few talents can mean every shot/hit is rolling +50 on the crit table. Nothing can make you feel bad like your big bad taking one damage and then being killed by the crit.

In Drone's "Rebel Sunrise" game we played on the goon Discord server, my character eventually made a vibroweapon for our resident Trandoshan murderer Hrakk using RAW which had Vicious 9 and Crit 1. With his character build he needed 4 total advantage/triumph to instant kill any opponent that didn't have crit reducing or avoiding talents.

Needless to say criticals can be pretty baller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013
I bounced off this game a few years ago because it drove me crazy how the skills were not evenly explained, with some having detailed rules for spending advantage and others shrugging and saying ask your GM. Has this ever been errata'd? Is it better to just heal stress as a baseline thing to spend advantage on?