Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Eregos posted:

Never count on a democracy undermining power grab by the GOP to turn public opinion against them. If it's already against them it's another matter. But if polling is with them they'll almost always get away with whatever it is. Is there polling evidence that scuttling the trial would be disapproved by more than like 55-45? Because I think that's about the minimum margin where it could possibly start to matter, assuming voters still care by November which they won't. This can work to Democrats' advantage though.

Yes, there is

https://morningconsult.com/2019/12/20/most-voters-want-senate-to-call-more-witnesses-for-trumps-impeachment-trial/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Charlz Guybon posted:

There were 235,248,000 people eligible to vote in 2012. That numbers got to be over 250 million now.

40-42% support Trump, that's over 100 million.

Vote for is not equal to support.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

torgeaux posted:

Vote for is not equal to support.

Better to say support doesn't equal vote. Way more people support or oppose the president then who will actually vote for or against him.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Charlz Guybon posted:

Better to say support doesn't equal vote. Way more people support or oppose the president then who will actually vote for or against him.

No, I'm only discussing the point here, not a broader one. The bad poster said, repeatedly, 100,000,000 people voted for trump. Not supports, supported whatever. And it was in a response to a criticism of people who VOTED for Trump. 100 million people didn't vote for Trump. Vote for and support are not the same thing. One is a fixed number, one is a guess.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If it were somehow true that 100,000,000 people support Trump, than Balkanization and civil war is inevitable in this country. But there aren't 100,000,000 people that support him and I'd be willing to bet he can't even get to 60,000,000 votes in 2020.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

DrNutt posted:

If it were somehow true that 100,000,000 people support Trump, than Balkanization and civil war is inevitable in this country. But there aren't 100,000,000 people that support him and I'd be willing to bet he can't even get to 60,000,000 votes in 2020.

I'll post it again since it seemed to have been overlooked.

The estimated number is around 250,056,000 in 2016, which is probably going to be 265 million in 2020. Of that only 138,847,000 or 55.7% actually voted in 2016.

Trump got 62,984,828 votes or 46.1% compared to the 65,853,514 or 48.2% for Clinton.

The polling numbers generally are of likely voters, so with Trump polling at 40-42%. With turnout likely higher this year than in the last several I assume it will be close to the percentage that we saw in 2008 which was the highest in almost 50 years at 58.2%.

So for the sake of the argument lets say that turnout will be at 60%, which would be 159 million. 42% of that would be 66,780,000 which seems much more in line for what his numbers are in actuality.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the pause here while he struggles to come up with this imaginary metaphor lmao

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1208776222123032576

https://twitter.com/MaxKennerly/status/1208812121892556802

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

You've been hit by a smooth criminal brain

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Hes loving it up. Its this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_cat_strategy

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Fox News: McCarthy suggests that Ratcliffe, Jordan, and Collins represent Trump during Senate Impeachment trial

quote:

“These are individuals I would actually pull in at the White House,” McCarthy said during an interview on Fox News’ “Sunday Morning Futures.” “You want people that have been through this, understand it, been in the hearings even when they were in the basement.”

Tl;dr an incompetent moron suggests three incompetent morons to defend Trump. Not that it matters since this is sadly going to be for show but :laffo:.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

refleks posted:

Not surprising considering he's probably inbred and given a gently caress ton of moon shine as a kid

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

I wonder if Graham's Faustian bargain is making him look terrible.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

refleks posted:

Lindsey are you okay? Are you okay Lindsey?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rauros posted:

There's a picture of him that's looking pretty terrible, anyway.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Rauros posted:

Can confirm.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

eke out posted:

the pause here while he struggles to come up with this imaginary metaphor lmao

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1208776222123032576
"guys this impeachment thing is a dead cat you just keep playing with and playing with until the pieces start to fall off and the eyes that used to judge you finally stop their staring staring staring. and we just need to move on as a nation like a hooker in my crawl space."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

InsertPotPun posted:

"guys this impeachment thing is a dead cat you just keep playing with and playing with until the pieces start to fall off and the eyes that used to judge you finally stop their staring staring staring. and we just need to move on as a nation like a hooker in my crawl space."

god, if graham is the republican John Wayne Gacy, i wouldnt be surprised.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
nah people actually liked and respected gacy

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

god, if graham is the republican John Wayne Gacy, i wouldnt be surprised.

If the GOP is full of serial killers (it is), then Lindsey Graham is the equivalent of Paul Dano's character in Prisoners, or maybe Henry Lee Lucas.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Limbaugh called him Lindsey Grant Amnesty, or Grahamnesty, for his support of W. Bush's immigration reform plan. I've also heard him called Lindsey Instagraham for using that platform. Maybe combine them into Lindsey Instagrahamnesty?

I think after McCain died and he saw Trump's approval ratings recover somewhat in 2018, he realized 'oh poo poo, I'm gonna need to win a Republican primary in 2020 to be re-elected South Carolina Senator, the party won't turn against Trump, and the base is loving crazy now. I'm in extra deep since I attacked Trump. Only way for me to hold on to power is to try and make up for it by being extra partisan now. I can't have any influence on the party if I'm not in office.'

I think a lot of elected Republicans think this way. Numerous former Republicans have admitted to some version of this self-justification.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Eregos posted:

Limbaugh called him Lindsey Grant Amnesty, or Grahamnesty, for his support of W. Bush's immigration reform plan. I've also heard him called Lindsey Instagraham for using that platform. Maybe combine them into Lindsey Instagrahamnesty?

I think after McCain died and he saw Trump's approval ratings recover somewhat in 2018, he realized 'oh poo poo, I'm gonna need to win a Republican primary in 2020 to be re-elected South Carolina Senator, the party won't turn against Trump, and the base is loving crazy now. I'm in extra deep since I attacked Trump. Only way for me to hold on to power is to try and make up for it by being extra partisan now. I can't have any influence on the party if I'm not in office.'

I think a lot of elected Republicans think this way. Numerous former Republicans have admitted to some version of this self-justification.

The problem with that is if none of them stand up for the party and their beliefs then they don't have any influence on the party as it is. The Senate Republicans especially have had plenty of cover to break with Trump on many, many issues not including impeachment and haven't. I am sure that most members think that this is a temporary thing and they just have to weather the storm until Trump is gone.

It really is amazing to me that all of these politicians are scared of being called names or bashed by Trump or idiots like Limbaugh. The problem is they let these losers think that they are more powerful than they actually are. If they put them in their place from time to time they wouldn't have the problem they currently have.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Djarum posted:

The problem with that is if none of them stand up for the party and their beliefs then they don't have any influence on the party as it is. The Senate Republicans especially have had plenty of cover to break with Trump on many, many issues not including impeachment and haven't. I am sure that most members think that this is a temporary thing and they just have to weather the storm until Trump is gone.

It really is amazing to me that all of these politicians are scared of being called names or bashed by Trump or idiots like Limbaugh. The problem is they let these losers think that they are more powerful than they actually are. If they put them in their place from time to time they wouldn't have the problem they currently have.

They don't give a poo poo, they just want their oligarchy and don't really care if that comes with overt fascism

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Smeef posted:

If the GOP is full of serial killers (it is), then Lindsey Graham is the equivalent of Paul Dano's character in Prisoners, or maybe Henry Lee Lucas.

i am too much of sad true crime nerd to agree with that. Henry lee lucas would be more gohmert. graham is smartish who would compartmentilize super hard and bury the victims in his crawl space.

Djarum posted:

this. i also think alot of them fear the base and trump more than the rest of the country. the have been catering to these fuckheads for so long, they forgot the rest of us exist. well the remember enough to try to supress votes but you know what i mean.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Djarum posted:

I am sure that most members think that this is a temporary thing and they just have to weather the storm until Trump is gone.

Whereas you can look at 6 year Senate terms as empowering some independence over the president and house, I think we are seeing the opposite exactly like you say. Party is probably thinking if they just win their next election they are going to outlast Trump

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1209176718772187141

haven't read through this yet but i assume he'll admit to a crime or two in this story

edit: holy poo poo lol

quote:

As we sped uptown, he spoke in monologue about the scandal he co-created, weaving one made-up talking point into another and another. He said former ambassador Marie Yovanovitch, whom he calls Santa Maria Yovanovitch, is “controlled” by George Soros. “He put all four ambassadors there. And he’s employing the FBI agents.” I told him he sounded crazy, but he insisted he wasn’t.

“Don’t tell me I’m anti-Semitic if I oppose him,” he said. “Soros is hardly a Jew. I’m more of a Jew than Soros is. I probably know more about — he doesn’t go to church, he doesn’t go to religion — synagogue. He doesn’t belong to a synagogue, he doesn’t support Israel, he’s an enemy of Israel. He’s elected eight anarchist DA’s in the United States. He’s a horrible human being.”

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

and, while still unlikely, "the only president to ever be impeached twice" is perhaps more likely than any previous time in history

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1209176849856835585

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. i also think alot of them fear the base and trump more than the rest of the country. the have been catering to these fuckheads for so long, they forgot the rest of us exist. well the remember enough to try to supress votes but you know what i mean.

I think it is a mixture of them not controlling the bullshit hose anymore and the GOP effectively wasting the power of an elected official's voice/opinion on something. Even 20-25 years ago when a member of Congress or a Senator would express an opinion about something it was taken seriously and a lot of weight was given to it. Hell remember how entire industries would bend over backwards if an elected official would talk about them?

30 years now of stupidity, outright lies and frankly the 24 Hour News Cycle has made that power basically disappear. They also gave up their power to RWM by elevating them higher than themselves.

Crazyweasel posted:

Whereas you can look at 6 year Senate terms as empowering some independence over the president and house, I think we are seeing the opposite exactly like you say. Party is probably thinking if they just win their next election they are going to outlast Trump

The question would be if they do win re-election would they then feel comfortable enough to push back against him in any substantial way? Being able to survive after the election will be the ability to distance themselves from him and quickly. I don't know how many of them will be able to achieve that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

eke out posted:

and, while still unlikely, "the only president to ever be impeached twice" is perhaps more likely than any previous time in history

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1209176849856835585

so they are thinking of just keeping these on hold and than dropping more and than sending them to the senate?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

doug jones walking back his "gaps" line

https://twitter.com/DougJones/status/1209220383162978311?s=20

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I said it before and I'll say it again. Doug Jones is a smart enough dude to know his only shot at reelection is Trump going down in flames. He may be careful with how he says it, but he's 100% on board the convict trump train

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

oxsnard posted:

I said it before and I'll say it again. Doug Jones is a smart enough dude to know his only shot at reelection is Trump going down in flames. He may be careful with how he says it, but he's 100% on board the convict trump train

its also the fact that the republican race in Alabama might be a giant poo poo show. again.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its also the fact that the republican race in Alabama might be a giant poo poo show. again.

I think he would've lost against the child rapist had it been a normal Trump election year though, so it's probably not wise to count on that pulling you through

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

oxsnard posted:

I think he would've lost against the child rapist had it been a normal Trump election year though, so it's probably not wise to count on that pulling you through

he would have lost to sessions or strange easy. the issue is moore is dumb pervert psycho. now it will be pervert vs sessions.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he would have lost to sessions or strange easy. the issue is moore is dumb pervert psycho. now it will be pervert vs sessions.

Is Trump going to endorse Sessions? Hard to see that after their relationship in DC.

Isn't there some other local politician running? He'll probably endorse that guy.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is Trump going to endorse Sessions? Hard to see that after their relationship in DC.

Isn't there some other local politician running? He'll probably endorse that guy.

He'll give the same half-assed generic endorsement on twitter he gives all the nobodies.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Someone with money needs to buy every billboard/commercial in alabama in the reddest district and just repeat things trump said about sessions.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

FizFashizzle posted:

Someone with money needs to buy every billboard/commercial in alabama in the reddest district and just repeat things trump said about sessions.

I don't think you even need that, Moore is a rapist but he will latch heavily onto every article and speech where Trump tore into Sessions and have that running the airways 24/7

and even if he loses Sessions will be bathed in the poo poo from it. He already failed in the DOJ to many of the trump supporters, so working up the energy to vote for him will be harder.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

FizFashizzle posted:

Someone with money needs to just buy billboard/commercials in red districts and run truth/things Trump said and/or did. Frankly it Steyer or Bloomberg did that with the millions of dollars they are spending it would do more good.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So, is there a possibility of the House stacking impeachment articles before sending them to the Senate? Say, for the sake of example, the House has 2-3 impeachable offenses before the Senate gets to start?

And what do you think the pressure on the Senate would do, politically, if this happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SpeakSlow posted:

So, is there a possibility of the House stacking impeachment articles before sending them to the Senate? Say, for the sake of example, the House has 2-3 impeachable offenses before the Senate gets to start?

And what do you think the pressure on the Senate would do, politically, if this happened?

The pressure on the Senate would not be meaningfully different from what it is today without a black swan event. More crimes on the list wouldn't change the current acquittal plan.