Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SABRAGE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I had the exact same issue with some cheap olive oil on vacation. I had to use a steak knife to score the retaining ring and that did it.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Thanks guys! Sawed at the ring with a knife for a while and got it open.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

20 Blunts posted:

I can't seem to google my way to a straight answer here....if a recipe calls for 20oz of canned clams, what's the fresh clam equivalent?

Is it worth it? My parents make a clam chowder every Christmas eve, but they live in the middle o' nowhere, and I actually have a source to get fresh ones this time around.

One estimate I found was from Purdue University's 4-H site, which gives the equivalence as 18 small clams yields one pint of shucked clams. Quite honestly, to me that doesn't sound like enough clams to give a pint, but maybe my idea of a small clam is smaller than theirs.

According to the label on a Chicken of the Sea 10 oz can of clams, the can yields about 0.825 cups (including the brine, which is used in chowder, I think). So two cans give 20 oz of canned clams, which would come pretty close to a pint (aka 18 clams, by Purdue's reckoning).

Given that there are often a few dead ones in a batch of fresh clams, I'd probably go with 2-3 dozen fresh clams to be sure of getting your 20 oz, but then, that's me figuring that it's way better to have too many clams in a chowder than not enough.

In terms of whether it is worth it, there's the cost of the clams plus the time spent shucking and cleaning them... fresh are likely far superior to canned, and it's for a Christmas eve tradition, but you are probably the only person who can do that part of the calculus :)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
And the clam broth adds a ton of body and flavor to the chowder. Don't throw that good stuff out.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
pyf roast chicken recipes please, tia

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

DasNeonLicht posted:

Small bird, high heat, lots of salt on the skin before it goes in, some rosemary into the drippings to baste it at the end, done.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

DasNeonLicht posted:

Yotam Ottolenghi's Simple roast chicken with preserved lemon

I've made this before and I'm making it for Christmas dinner this year with the new potato dish and a different salad.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Use your fingers to separate the skin from the breasts, cover the whole bird in streaky bacon, roast on a bed of large dice mirepoix, roast at 180 for about an hour and a half for a normal sized chicken.

Put the bacon in a bowl for your guests to add to their plates as they see fit, let the chicken rest for twenty minutes while you make gravy with the juices and mirepoix.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 21, 2019

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

I made some jam and the set is too soft. I was planning to put it in sandwich cookies so I need it to be way firmer. Would it make sense to recook it with cornstarch? Google gives me advice about pectin, which I didn't use, but commercial jelly fillings seem kind of cornstarchy to me so I am wondering if that's a better route. I also have gelatin but that seems dangerous.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Can't you just boil off some water and/or add some sugar? What's the base recipe?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you can get your hands on some xanthan gum you can use it to make a fluid gel. Add the xanthan gum to the jam mix it with an immersion blender and let it set up the hit it with the immersion blender again and you'll have a gel that can be piped and still hold its shape.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
How do you clean up after making hard candy? I'm planning on using this recipe for butterscotch, but there's nothing about disposing of the hardening candy from your pot. Can I just add some water and reheat it to make the remaining candy malleable enough to remove with a paper towel or something? Really, I just want to avoid needing a chisel or something, but that "stop when it gets too hard to work with" has me slightly worried.

Also, with a candy thermometer, is having it touching the side/bottom of the pot going to cause the thing to read too high? I just have one of those regular glass ones with a little sliding clip for the side of the pot, but I can't tell if that's going to read just fine or if I'm meant to finagle it into floating around in whatever I'm stirring.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Zenostein posted:

How do you clean up after making hard candy? I'm planning on using this recipe for butterscotch, but there's nothing about disposing of the hardening candy from your pot. Can I just add some water and reheat it to make the remaining candy malleable enough to remove with a paper towel or something? Really, I just want to avoid needing a chisel or something, but that "stop when it gets too hard to work with" has me slightly worried.

Also, with a candy thermometer, is having it touching the side/bottom of the pot going to cause the thing to read too high? I just have one of those regular glass ones with a little sliding clip for the side of the pot, but I can't tell if that's going to read just fine or if I'm meant to finagle it into floating around in whatever I'm stirring.

Assuming that running a bunch of sugary water down the drain isn't going to cause any problems where you live, you can just angle the pot in the sink and spray it with hot water until everything's dissolved out and then clean up as normal.
If that's not the case, you can add some water in the pot and put it back on low heat until you can detach and fish out the leftovers (which will be hot again, so be careful) with a spoon or other appropriate utensil.

The bottom of the pot is going to be hotter (assuming you still have the heat source on) than the top, but where the max heat is between sides and center is going to depend on the shape of your heat source. You want the thermometer to be close to the hottest portion of your candy, if possible, since that's going to help you avoid going too high on temperature.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Can't you just boil off some water and/or add some sugar? What's the base recipe?

Maybe that's a better idea. I tried making it because I didn't want it to be really sweet, but it's not, so more sugar would be okay. The recipe seems good, I think, just maybe not for this purpose.

2 pounds (6½ cups) raspberries
3 cups sugar
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and shredded (1 cup)
1 tablespoon lemon juice

I did halve it which could have been an issue.

Thumposaurus posted:

If you can get your hands on some xanthan gum you can use it to make a fluid gel. Add the xanthan gum to the jam mix it with an immersion blender and let it set up the hit it with the immersion blender again and you'll have a gel that can be piped and still hold its shape.

That's interesting. I don't know if I will be able to find it for this time, but it's good to know.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

DasNeonLicht posted:

A little different:
slow roasted gochujang chicken

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Zenostein posted:

I always just heat up some water in the pot with the lid on (for steam) to dissolve the remains off the sides. I have the same kind of thermometer and I just make sure it's well off the bottom of the pot - the clip should hold it clear of the side. Maybe rotate the pot itself over the heat source to keep it heating evenly if its a recipe that can't be stirred?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
How long should I cook sirloin steaks in cast iron to get to medium if they're 2in thick at their thickest but go down to more like 1.5in on the thinner end? Do I get the cast iron searing hot and flip every couple of minutes or do people recommend a different way?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Sounds like a good candidate for the reverse sear method

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Had a quick look on Serious Eats and went with hot oil in cast iron, internal temp to 135°f before pulling to rest, frequent flipping and a butter baste (first time doing that!) - I think I smashed it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
seems like the SV thread is kinda dead, how good is kenji's porchetta recipe?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

Good

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

BraveUlysses posted:

A lot of people think it's too salty, but I very much enjoyed it the two times I've made it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BraveUlysses posted:

I did it twice and loved it. The sage flavor was a bit strong but I just used a little less the second time. Agree on the salt-read the comments because he may have updated the recipe.

Deep frying it was the scariest part. I used a wok like he recommended. When you put the lid on it, it sounds like the whole thing was going to explode on me. But it turned out amazing.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I got my wife a kitchenaid stand mixer for Christmas, and she dove in and is trying to make cookies right now, and she's supposed to be creaming the butter with sugar right now, but she days its not looking right. Any tips? Sugar cookies is the end goal. Just sugar , eggs, and butter in there right now. Adding the flour now.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The Bananana posted:

I got my wife a kitchenaid stand mixer for Christmas, and she dove in and is trying to make cookies right now, and she's supposed to be creaming the butter with sugar right now, but she days its not looking right. Any tips? Sugar cookies is the end goal. Just sugar , eggs, and butter in there right now. Adding the flour now.

Has she made them before? Is the butter soft/room temp? Are you using the paddle attachment?

You might know all of this already but make sure you keep scraping the sides down-there’s another paddle attachment you can get with silicone on the sides that will help scrape the bowl for you.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

She has NOT made them before.

The butter was not room temp, but she smashed it flat on parchment paper to supposedly help.

And she IS using the paddle attachment.

Thank you for the reply btw.

I think i better strap in for some very chewy yet crunchy little cookies. Lol.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You gotta let it beat for like 10 mins before adding anything else in.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

The Bananana posted:

She has NOT made them before.

The butter was not room temp, but she smashed it flat on parchment paper to supposedly help.

And she IS using the paddle attachment.

Thank you for the reply btw.

I think i better strap in for some very chewy yet crunchy little cookies. Lol.

Any details on what about it isn't/wasn't looking right?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Alright goons with spoons I have a beef tenderloin question for preparation.

It weighs 7 pounds.

I have already: taken it out of the wrapper and given it some salt and pepper (scores it a smidge but haven’t removed fat)

My plan is to slow roast it so I’m going to marinate it in the following: red wine, honey, thyme, rosemary, garlic, onion soup mix, and some oil.

Here’s my questions: does that sound okay? Also how long and at what temperature?

Do I need like a raised thing for the meat to sit on with a baking tray underneath? (Please note I don’t own a Dutch oven). Do the carrots and brussel sprouts go in the dish with the meat or do I cook them separately?

Also for sides I have carrots, brussel sprouts with parm and pancetta, baby potatoes with Brie. These will all probably need the oven. What are some tips for maximizing oven efficiency?

Thanks in advance

Edit: not sure why the photo attached sideways but lmbo

Edit 2: do I need to tie this bad boy with butchers twine?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

TofuDiva posted:

Any details on what about it isn't/wasn't looking right?

They came out great!

Idk of they weren't processed exactly right. But luckily I guess it was a forgiving recipe?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

The Bananana posted:

They came out great!

Idk of they weren't processed exactly right. But luckily I guess it was a forgiving recipe?

Great!

Truth be told, sugar cookies are hard to mess up if you measure the ingredients properly. Butter temperature may cause the the dough to spread more or less, and how long you beat the batter may give you a slightly tougher or more tender cookie - but as long as you don't burn them they'll taste good :)

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

poeticoddity posted:

Assuming that running a bunch of sugary water down the drain isn't going to cause any problems where you live, you can just angle the pot in the sink and spray it with hot water until everything's dissolved out and then clean up as normal.
If that's not the case, you can add some water in the pot and put it back on low heat until you can detach and fish out the leftovers (which will be hot again, so be careful) with a spoon or other appropriate utensil.

The bottom of the pot is going to be hotter (assuming you still have the heat source on) than the top, but where the max heat is between sides and center is going to depend on the shape of your heat source. You want the thermometer to be close to the hottest portion of your candy, if possible, since that's going to help you avoid going too high on temperature.

Pookah posted:

I always just heat up some water in the pot with the lid on (for steam) to dissolve the remains off the sides. I have the same kind of thermometer and I just make sure it's well off the bottom of the pot - the clip should hold it clear of the side. Maybe rotate the pot itself over the heat source to keep it heating evenly if its a recipe that can't be stirred?

Thanks a bunch. I did not need a chisel and the candy came out more or less how it should (I think).

Still burnt myself like a moron, but everything else worked out well enough.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Mezzanon posted:

It weighs 7 pounds.

I have already: taken it out of the wrapper and given it some salt and pepper (scores it a smidge but haven’t removed fat)

My plan is to slow roast it so I’m going to marinate it in the following: red wine, honey, thyme, rosemary, garlic, onion soup mix, and some oil.

Here’s my questions: does that sound okay? Also how long and at what temperature?

Do I need like a raised thing for the meat to sit on with a baking tray underneath? (Please note I don’t own a Dutch oven). Do the carrots and brussel sprouts go in the dish with the meat or do I cook them separately?

Also for sides I have carrots, brussel sprouts with parm and pancetta, baby potatoes with Brie. These will all probably need the oven. What are some tips for maximizing oven efficiency?

Thanks in advance

Sounds like you are in for a heck of a meal! I hope I am not too late here.

The marinade sounds good, but the lsow roasting is generally not great for tenderloin though. It's really not great above Medium, and with a low temp, you won't get any browning on the outside before the inside is way overcooked.

You are in luck though! The solution to this, is also the solution to your oven efficiency problem. Everything can happen, in order, in your oven. If you do have a rack to put the tenderloin on to raise it above the surface of what you are cooking it in, use it. Cook the tenderloin in the oven at like 250f until it reaches desired temp (120-130f depending on how rare you want it), I'd guess about 70 minutes, but start checking after 50, then take it out. If you don't have a rack, you REALLY want to put the tenderloin on a cutting board or a plate or something. If you leave it directly in the vessel from the oven, the residual heat will cook the bottom a lot more after it comes out of the oven.

If you have two racks, go ahead and put the carrots in with the tenderloin for that whole first cook. After you take the tenderloin out, crank the oven up to 500f and go ahead and put in both your carrots and Brussels sprouts. You don't even have to wait for it to preheat. I'd recommend putting down a layer of foil on whatever baking tray you are using.

Those should take like 25-30 minutes. The sprouts should have some actual crispy dark brown/black layers, and the carrots should have dark brown tops and bottoms. In the meantime, pat the exterior of the tenderloin dry with paper towels, then brush with veg/canola oil. Once the carrots and sprouts are done, take them out and if your oven CAN go hotter, max it out. Once it is as hot as it can get, put the tenderloin back in for like 5 minutes to get some color. It should only need to rest for like 2 minutes before you can cut it.

Enjoy! Take pics!

Edit: If your oven has a convection setting, turn it on for the final meat browning. If not though, don't worry about it.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 23, 2019

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

It weighs 7 pounds.

Thanks in advance

Marinating doesn't do much of anything for that thick of a cut. If you want those flavors, you should incorporate a pan sauce to serve on the side.

A rack helps circulate air underneath but isn't necessary. Trussing it with twine does make it more evenly shaped, as well as gives you that classic roast shape if you're all about traditional BS.

You really, really, really should have an instant read thermometer or a probe thermometer to check internal temp. Going off a basic time/temp guideline is fine, but roasts can vary so much.

My suggestion is to reverse sear it. It's the most foolproof way to get it cooked properly inside and get a decent crust outside.

Edit: regarding veg, do you have stove space? Brussels and carrots can both be done in a pan, and if you're doing the reverse sear, the oven temp isn't gonna be conducive to good veg, it will likely turn both to leather.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Thank you both for the advice. I am doing my best to do some things. I’ve got the loin and the aromatics in. We’re gonna use the drippings to make a lil gravy action. Brussel sprouts and carrots will be done on the stove top (don’t worry about those carrot boys in the pan) we’ve got red wine, beef broth, and onion soup mix in the bottom of the pan.

Potatoes will be done in the oven in between beef action. Progress will come as day goes by.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I need a sauce recommendation. My MIL brought a pork tenderloin for us to eat on Christmas Eve (big dinner is the next day). It's already cooked and probably not heavily seasoned -- I assume she just baked it in the oven with some herbs. If this was chicken or beef I'd go with a white wine butter sauce or red wine reduction, but I'm a sauce dummy and not really sure what to do with pork.

Option A: Make a glaze and then brush it on the pork before throwing it in a ripping hot oven right before serving, so that it can caramelize a bit. Pomegranate and/or orange, maybe?

Option B: Sear before serving and make a pan sauce. Red wine would be the preference here, I assume?

e: the bit I struck feels presumptuous, I'm sure she'd be cool with it but let's keep the sauce on the side

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 24, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Pan sauce with mustard and rosemary, perhaps?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Discussion Quorum posted:

I need a sauce recommendation. My MIL brought a pork tenderloin for us to eat on Christmas Eve (big dinner is the next day). It's already cooked and probably not heavily seasoned -- I assume she just baked it in the oven with some herbs. If this was chicken or beef I'd go with a white wine butter sauce or red wine reduction, but I'm a sauce dummy and not really sure what to do with pork.

Option A: Make a glaze and then brush it on the pork before throwing it in a ripping hot oven right before serving, so that it can caramelize a bit. Pomegranate and/or orange, maybe?

Option B: Sear before serving and make a pan sauce. Red wine would be the preference here, I assume?

e: the bit I struck feels presumptuous, I'm sure she'd be cool with it but let's keep the sauce on the side

Slice it into thick medallions and sear on both sides hot and fast. Take them out and let them rest, add 1/2 to 1 cup water to the pan to deglaze, then half as much heavy cream and a Dijon mustard to taste, then whisk until emulsified into a sauce. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot. I’m a big fan of this method for tenderloin (although usually it’s not cooked all the way through before the slicing and searing), and I know some other in this thread have also made sauce this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If it’s not seasoned chop it up and make fried rice.