Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, IIRC it's explained at the end of the dungeon. What I was surprised by is that they never gave you the option to uncurse her, even in Act 3.

She does technically get that pendant that lets her transform back to her original size from the Seer, but then she just never uses it for inscrutable Veronica reasons outside of certain Pep Powers. I assume she just likes having the excuse to get piggyback rides from taller party members.
It would've been nice if they gave you the option to equip it as an alt look like with Serena's hair, but I imagine asking them to completely redo all of her animations is just way too much for one late-game look modifier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My son has been watching me play and his "DQ twists" detector was on point for the ice city. Just quietly watching, and then pipes up with "I don't trust her. Her name sounds like 'freeze'. ...also, the last nice girl we trusted turned out to be a mega boss...."

He's actually started playing it himself, and seems to be enjoying it as his first JRPG.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ciaphas posted:

huh, switch version has a Japanese dub too. I don't remember and it's still downloading; how's the english?
IMO the dub is real good. Sylvando and Rab especially.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
DQXI's English dub is so good that it's genuinely jarring whenever you hear terrible line deliveries, which is thankfully only the case with bit characters. Kai's dialogue sounds like it came out of a way shittier PS2-era RPG and it's weird.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

I also noticed some of the VA during the added content between a1 and a2 seemed a bit... off, like they messed up the sound mixing. Also I'm pretty sure they couldn't get Vince's VA back for the extra content as well, he sounded much different iirc. These are all pretty minor issues though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

kirbysuperstar posted:

I can't remember what thread it was in but there was some country where Dai was stupid popular and they were asking if Dai was in XI or something.

I know the anime aired in like, Spain and France at least

It was huge in Mexico too. Not dragon ball huge since the anime was fairly short but it was definitely the talk of the playground
At any rate it looks to be teasing a sequel/continuation of the manga so that's interesting

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Slider posted:

I also noticed some of the VA during the added content between a1 and a2 seemed a bit... off, like they messed up the sound mixing. Also I'm pretty sure they couldn't get Vince's VA back for the extra content as well, he sounded much different iirc. These are all pretty minor issues though.

Yeah, some of Sylvando's lines during his interlude really threw me off, but that's just one of the risks that comes with recording new content under different conditions, I suppose. Smash Ultimate ran into that problem hard too, a lot of Pit and Palutena's new dialogue sounded like totally different performances despite having the same actors.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Whoa, 2d mode is pretty wild

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.
I've started playing Dragon Quest Builders 2 recently, and have been enjoying it quite a bit. The pun game remains strong as usual. Pastor Al was great.

About to start the second main island, but I'm wondering if I should try to build up/do quests on the main island first, or just rush ahead. Also, any general hints or tips for the future?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The entirety of the gold golem chapter is lead up to a galaxy brain level pun.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

The entirety of the gold golem chapter is lead up to a galaxy brain level pun.

I love it. It’s like a father planning a two week long road trip vacation just to lead up to a dad joke.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

HPanda posted:

I love it. It’s like a father planning a two week long road trip vacation just to lead up to a dad joke.

I had to a sit for a minute and just think about how much time and effort they threw into that. "You did that. You just went there."

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like to imagine there's one guy on the localization who has been making dad jokes from birth and they just loving go ham on the script. Their entire job is bad puns.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

YggiDee posted:

I like to imagine there's one guy on the localization who has been making dad jokes from birth and they just loving go ham on the script. Their entire job is bad puns.

extremely powerful dad energies in the whole series, at least going by some of these dq11 monster names

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

"platypunk" are you for fuckin real :tizzy:

i'm a DQ neophyte so this is just a guess: it's gonna get so much worse, isn't it

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Platypunk is nothing compared to some of them.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So which Dragon Quest has the strongest pun game? Dragon Quest VIII was the first game they made after rebranding but I think they were focused more on accents than pure wordplay, IX was when the localizers went mad with power and gave us delights such as "benevolessence", "Zere Rocks", and everything in Coffinwell, and VII has the edge in sheer volume. Nothing has as many puns as Dragon Quest VII. It's impossible.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
DQ7's remake was really on point with the names of both monsters and towns. Nottagen made me groan out loud when it hit me.

edit: DQ7 also had the single best monster pun name of all time, a demonic tree stump with one eye called Monolog

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 22, 2019

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ciaphas posted:

"platypunk" are you for fuckin real :tizzy:

i'm a DQ neophyte so this is just a guess: it's gonna get so much worse, isn't it

You haven't met Ham Shamwitch and Sham Hatwitch yet.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Rocket Slime's tank names and little subtitle descriptors were pretty impressive.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Chrono Twigger still makes me laugh

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
My favorite is still Abbot Jack of Alltrades Abbey

Who's secretly the Master of Nu'un

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

CaptainPsyko posted:

Cruelcumber was when I decided dq11 was totally worth every penny.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's an enemy in Dragon Quest 5 that's a candle with a knife. Its name? Wax Murderer.

And let's not forget the enemies in DQ8 named Mum, Jum, and Boe. If there was a Mum and a Jum in a fight with two Boes, they would all combine to form a Voltron named Mumboe-Jumboe.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
God drat I love this series!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
One of the games has a pot mimic called an 'Urnexpected'

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If you examine certain wells in DQ7, you'll be attacked by a monster called a "Well Wisher".

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Professaurus is one of my favorites.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

There's an enemy in Dragon Quest 5 that's a candle with a knife. Its name? Wax Murderer.

And let's not forget the enemies in DQ8 named Mum, Jum, and Boe. If there was a Mum and a Jum in a fight with two Boes, they would all combine to form a Voltron named Mumboe-Jumboe.

The voltron enemy’s final form is Democribot too, because it’s made of enemies like Head of State, Left Wing and Right Wing too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

help i'm being attacked by this terrifying page of posts

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, bookshelves would sometimes have a Hexicon hiding as a book, but I don't know what a forum thread mimic would be called.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Apostrophe

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

YggiDee posted:

Well, bookshelves would sometimes have a Hexicon hiding as a book, but I don't know what a forum thread mimic would be called.

A pale troll with a pitchfork, springing up out of a turned off monitor. Dread Grey Forkems.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Either a "Thread Hijacker" or a Firespirit-type monster named "Flame War".

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
While not much of a pun, I do enjoy the retranslated Knight line from DQ 1: Knight Errant, Knight Aberrant, and Knight Abhorrent.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Got the Switch edition of 11 as an early Christmas and have been thoroughly hooked and enjoying the hell out of it. It's my first real experience with the series other than like 10 minutes of 8. The whole cast is really enjoyable and everything is just super charming. I've played quite a lot but it still feels like I've barely scratched the surface.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Got the Switch edition of 11 as an early Christmas and have been thoroughly hooked and enjoying the hell out of it. It's my first real experience with the series other than like 10 minutes of 8. The whole cast is really enjoyable and everything is just super charming. I've played quite a lot but it still feels like I've barely scratched the surface.
Yeah, 11 is pretty long; you're gonna be at this a while.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".
You all are working very hard to not mention the Sham Hatwitch.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Eight is actually...kinda dorky cute when he smiles. Was not expecting that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

good day for a bris posted:

You all are working very hard to not mention the Sham Hatwitch.

CaptainPsyko posted: